myku1passkwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myku1passkwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dips vs Pullups?

Is it generally better to do pullups or dips when working on shoulders? Is it better just to do both?

mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mojo85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I prefer the abductor machine for shoulders

In all serious neither is great for shoulders. Military Press FTW.

armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by myku1passkwa View Post
    Is it generally better to do pullups or dips when working on shoulders? Is it better just to do both?
    Depends if you are working the whole shoulder, front delt, or rear delt. Like, I do my front and mid delts on my chest and tri day. And I do my rear delts on my back day. So it really depends. Dips are obviously best done on a chest day, while pullups are best done on a back day.
    Everytime you do partial squats, Jesus kills a kitten...

"When in doubt, deadlift and eat MOAR, you puss!" -Jesus; 8 time Mr. Universe 0024 A.D. - 0031 A.D.

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Neither, shoulder exercises are good for shoulders!

Dips - Chest or tri's (depending on how you do them)
    Pullups - Lats

myku1passkwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myku1passkwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by keys_10 View Post

Pullups - Lats
    right, i get that but i usually like to warm up with a set of either dips or pullups if i'm doing upper body, and i started a new shoulder routine and was wondering which one is better to start off with

armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armydude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Pullups - Lats
    Not directly, but they deffinately are up there in the list of employed muscles.

Dips call on primarily the chest, tris and front delts.

pullups call on the upper and lower lats, rear delts, and rhomboids (spelling?) mostly, and fore arms, biceps and few others to a lesser extent.

"When in doubt, deadlift and eat MOAR, you puss!" -Jesus; 8 time Mr. Universe 0024 A.D. - 0031 A.D.

Originally Posted by armydude1 View Post
    Not directly, but they deffinately are up there in the list of employed muscles.

Dips call on primarily the chest, tris and front delts.

pullups call on the upper and lower lats, rear delts, and rhomboids (spelling?) mostly, and fore arms, biceps and few others to a lesser extent.
    ok thanks

arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50) arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50) arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50) arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50) arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50) arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50) arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50) arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50) arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50) arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50) arto-tech will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mojo85 View Post
    I prefer the abductor machine for shoulders

In all serious neither is great for shoulders. Military Press FTW.
    this,
    military press is amazing

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    right, i get that but i usually like to warm up with a set of either dips or pullups if i'm doing upper body, and i started a new shoulder routine and was wondering which one is better to start off with
    Personally I wouldn't do either. There are too many other muscles involved to use them as a warm up for your shoulders.
    Yes your front delts are involved in dips but they are just as involved in most pressing movements.
    And yes your rear delts are involved in pull ups, just like they are involved in most rowing movements.
    IMO i wouldn't do any of these but each to their own.

Personally I wouldn't do either. There are too many other muscles involved to use them as a warm up for your shoulders.
    Yes your front delts are involved in dips but they are just as involved in most pressing movements.
    And yes your rear delts are involved in pull ups, just like they are involved in most rowing movements.
    I already stick to the military press in fact I would never skip on on military press. It's probably one of my favorite workouts.

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I agree with this. If you want to do a warmup for shoulders, then a light set (or two) of military press or arnold press will be more effective.

Dips and pullups are outstanding movements that are great to include in your workouts, just use them appropriately. Like most have said, pullups are primarily a back movement and dips are tris and chest (depending on your form, chest will be more or less involved).
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50)

healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthylifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Neither. Pull-ups mainly work your lats. Dips work your triceps. If you want to work shoulders try holding a dumbbell on each side, maybe 20-30 lbs, and extend your shoulders outward (to the side) without bending your elbows.

ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    did not read the replies, but dips work chest/tris (emphasize chest by moving weight more forward, vice versa for tris), pull ups work mostly bis with some lats if palms are towards you, and mostly lats if palms are away. Both work forearms and other secondary muscles. I don't really see either as a shoulder exercise, but if I had to choose one I would do pull ups for shoulders.

derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    not to hijack this thread, but would it be better to do squats or deadlifts as a warm-up for calves?

pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pooked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by derekk1 View Post
    not to hijack this thread, but would it be better to do squats or deadlifts as a warm-up for calves?
    hmmm i would go with neither unless u tip toe on your squats.

so your intent is not to hijack this thread? lol.

You dont use your calfs in any of those lifts, lol. Or you shouldnt anyway. A good warm up is a jog. Or grab some dbs and do tippy toes.

That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you had to pick one. Definately go with pull ups. They are the best way to how well you can control your own bodyweight. Quoted from Arnold. Make sure you go all the way up and down ... and don't swing.
    100x11 weighted pull up
    Rubik's Cube - 7.08 single, 9.43 avg5, 9.97 avg12
    IG: mikekotch65

Originally Posted by That70sShowDude View Post
    If you had to pick one. Definately go with pull ups. They are the best way to how well you can control your own bodyweight. Quoted from Arnold. Make sure you go all the way up and down ... and don't swing.

thats the answer I was lookin for..but with everyone elses helpful replies i'm just gonna stop doing both from now on. I just did them as a warm up to get moving before my workouts

RIP Sweetie 2006-2010 Macrobolic's Avatar
    Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Neither really works the delt muscles all that great, although both will probably provide a little stress on the front delt muscle.

Like mojo85 and others have said, military press is a good way to go.
    "To close one's eyes will not ease another's pain" - Chinese Proverb
    "An outdoor dog has an address, not a home" -unknown

Modern
    Fitness
    Forum

Go
    There
    Now

derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by armydude1 View Post
    so your intent is not to hijack this thread? lol.

You dont use your calfs in any of those lifts, lol. Or you shouldnt anyway. A good warm up is a jog. Or grab some dbs and do tippy toes.
    actually, you use your calves in both those lifts.

i posted that as a joke, clearly no one got it.

haha, you fail.

j/p :P

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Pullups - Lats
    ^ that

Why not do exercises that focus on those areas for warming up? Perhaps a circuit of light weight raises (bent over, lateral, fronts), etc, to properly warm up the muscle. Then when you get to your first exercise, perhaps a warm up set or two of that, then get into your workout full swing.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AVOJAMACADA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Naa I got it...6/10 on the wit and 6.5/10 on origianality...
    Habit is powerfull and custom can Kill.

Niceness FTW.

VEGhed #444.