WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WatchTh1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calling out Coaches!

I have to interview a coach for one of my classes and if anyone here has coached and still is could you help me out? Will rep.

#1- Why did you coach

#2 How did you get into coaching?

#3 Biggest challenge? Obstacle?

#4 What was your coaching Philosophy?

#5 How did you develop that Philosophy?

#6 Is it different from your life philosophy?

#7 Did people and or events influence your perspective?

#8 What were some Important principals that guide you in coaching?

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WatchTh1s View Post
    I have to interview a coach for one of my classes and if anyone here has coached and still is could you help me out? Will rep.

#1- Why did you coach

just bumpin this for the moment i gotta finish some work but ill get back to this thread later

HrdWrk313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HrdWrk313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HrdWrk313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HrdWrk313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HrdWrk313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HrdWrk313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HrdWrk313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    #1- Why did you coach
    Because I never have to work a day in my life. (If you love what you do you'll never work)

Was a S&C coach during college and a few after there was an opening in my area interviewed and got the HC job.

Dealing with off-field disciplinary actions

Old-School with a New School Twist

Years of attending College Football games. Being involved in football my entire life. I have always believed that we can learn from the past, but continue to use the new found knowledge that we have today.

#6 I love all kinds of old-school methods but I am always trying to learn about the new methods today. This is very prevalent in my life not only with my coaching philosophy but in all aspects of life.

#7 The number one influence in my life was my Grandfather he was the one who got me interested in sports and we teach me all the history of the "Golden Age."
    He also taught me the importance of hard-work and discipline.

Discipline
    Confidence
    Diligence

Most of all trying to reflect a Christ-Like attitude to my players and all those who come in contact with out program.
    Last edited by HrdWrk313; 01-27-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    #1- Why did you coach
    The greatest joy in the world is watching a kid grow from practically nothing to seeing them graduate walking tall and being stronger and more confident than they ever imagined. And like mentioned it isnt a job if you enjoy it. But it pays better than any other place Ive looked into so far.

Originally helped the jr high my sr year of highschool. Began coaching highschool practically the day i graduated. Got lucky i think as the throws coach was the one who asked me to do it since he wanted to retire.

FIrst off was establishing a solid program. the team was a cast aside joke and if they scored points then great. also my age was an issue. being 19 and coaching 15-18yr olds frequently put to question my authority. now the biggest challenge is recruiting. finding the best kids for the job and getting them started. kids have no idea how to use their own bodies its crazy.

Hard work pays off. i train my kids as athletes not as throwers. i emphasize biomechanics, form, technique, using the many parts of the body to achieve the goal. i also employ a 'have fun through success' idea. more u win the more youll like what you do. this goes back to training hard and putting the work in. if you can enjoy what you do then its best to look elsewhere.

mostly as a reaction to my own highschool coaches. got yelled at alot. discipline was unusual and meaningless (long runs...linemen need to be fast). and coaches were just unrelatable or seemed to meet their own needs and not what the kids wanted. i go the exact opposite. i still get confused as an athlete, 'punishment' is a more intense version of our workouts that sometimes results in a loss of lunch, and the verbal cracks are more juvenile than anything.

not really. im laid back and sarcastic. but intense when it comes to training and my sports.

see above. and im stubborn like my dad.

Hard work, dedication, and success builds character. and success is more than winning meets or being better but beating yourself. best example i had a kid a few years back; pudgy, unathletic, long hair, real quiet. just didnt stand out in any way. 3 yrs into my program he still wasnt a great thrower but was carved outta wood, lost 40lbs, then after graduating went on to play rugby (a sport he never heard of until i showed him) and is now the president of his club and fraternity.

Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    #1- Why did you coach

Fitness matters to me, and being in shape I felt like I could do more than simply personal training

A good friend of mine was my high school wrestling coach, he said he could use some extra help in the room, so I joined up

The one's who want to know what they did wrong and why, but then fail to correct the mistakes we show them

Big 3 lifts, power cleans once a week, and that wrestling is 99% a mental game

trial and error, learned the hard way how to make myself the best wrestler I can be by what worked against me and what later worked FOR me

not a chance-learning is a continuous thing. Teams are brotherhoods that teach people what it means to "have someone's back." If I never get anywhere in life, I know that a few people hit the weights instead of the bottle-or worse.

Absolutely-my high school coach was like a big brother to me. he cared for me a ton, but when I did something stupid, I took a smack for it. He definitely led by example

I don't expect you to win, I don't expect you to be the best ever, but I DO expect you to give 100%. If you quit on me I will quit on you. If you give me your best, there's no length I won't go to to help you be your (and THE) best.
    One Word: STAND.

Personal Trainer/Marathon Trainer/Wrestling Coach

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Are you looking for sport/positional or strength coaches?
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    #1- Why did you coach?
    I always had a passion for football, and couldn't play anymore. I always worked well with other people, but most importantly I love football and love being able to share my passion with others. It also gives you a great opportunity to have a profound impact on young minds. My coaches had a huge impact on my life, and I wanted to be able to do that for others.

I was the defensive captain and played middle linebacker for my high school. I had a couple offers to play JC ball, but declined and was pretty much hanging out before i moved away and found something to do. As I was walking out of the locker room for the last time after the last game of my senior season my coaches offered me a position working with the JV and Frosh squads. I have always been an X's and O's type of player and was well respected by my peers so it was a no brainer for the coaches.

I would say some of the biggest problems people run into is the time commitment. It is for that reason I'm not currently coaching (I have too many other things going on right now to be able to put in the time required). You sacrifice a lot to be able to put in the necessary effort to ensure a successful team, yet you recieve very little monetary compensation. You definitely dont get into coaching for the money. With that being said, it can be very rewarding taking a kid with mediocre knowledge of the game, and even less noticable ability, and seeing him playing in allstar games and getting scholarship offers a couple years later. Off the field, you end up playing a mentoring role and helping kids through some difficult times in life.

If i had to define my philosophy it is "Success through hard work." Talent can only take you so far, but through hard work and dedication (whether its in the weight room, conditioning on the field, or scouting other teams and watching film) success can be achieved. Without hardwork, talent is very limited and relying on that can leave one falling short while perseverance can take you past the point where the more talented players tend to give up.

I would be a liar if I said it was an original idea. This is what has been passed on to me by my coaches and family members. Most importantly, I was never the biggest, fastest or most talented player. I was the second smallest starter on my football team, but I led my team in tackles, second in sacks and picks. I recieved numerous all-area/league/division first team selections and played in my share of all star games.

Everything I received was because I worked for it and played to my strengths. I worked hard in the weight room and on my conditioning because I knew that I might not out run or hit the other guys, but I knew I could out work them. Furthermore, I always found myself studying scouting reports and game film trying to get any sort of edge I could because I knew my size and speed put me at a disadvantage. Having heard it and experienced its value with my own eyes, I couldn't help but emphasize it to my players.

Not really. I feel that this approach can be applied to life and can make for a very successful person. Nothing worth achieving in life comes easy. Anything worth having requires hard work and perseverance because invariably we will always come across some sort of roadblock or detour. We will always have something we don't want to do standing in the way of achieving our goal, and having the ability to step up to the plate and take a challenge head on can be the difference between success and failure.

As I said, a lot of this came through from my own coaches, mentors and family members. In addition to this, I saw many kids I played with just give up when things got difficult, yet the rest of us kept pushing on and discovered success. In my own life I've experienced numerous cases where things got difficult, and I had the choice of quitting or stepping up to the plate, and every time I decided to stick with it I discovered the work was ALWAYS worth it.

Remember that no two athletes are the same. Every player has their own abilities and skill sets, so you need to always keep tailoring your schemes and game plan to the athletes at hand. If you have big, bruiser-type players, you don't run a speed-based offense. You can't expect each set of brothers to play the same, or expect every quarterback to be able to throw a mile. You have to fit each person in where they fit best if not redesign your entire scheme. At this level, you can't expect every player to have the same level of talent or comprehension. In essence play to your advantages both as a player and a team.

While winning and losing is a big part of the game, it is not everything. For me, I'll take a loss and turn it into a learning experience and say "we've been doing this, this, and this wrong. here's how we can improve it so it doesn't happen again." Furthermore, we don't always win in life, and the real reason we play sports is to learn more about life. I can have an 0-10 season, but if my players understand the value of hard work and dedication, and have more tools to get them into the real world as a functioning member of society, I'm happy.

mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickyb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    High school football coach here.

#1- Why did you coach
    After being away from the game for 20 years with my head in a bottle, I realized that I still had the passion that I had back when I played in college. I was a starting guard for an SEC team back in the late 70's.

A former teammate of mine connected me with a old friend that was coaching at a high school. I got a job at the school teaching social studies and as his assistant. He retired and I took over.

Understanding kids. I have none of my own and the world these days is a different place then when I use to play. I struggle with the me first attitude of many of the kids and its not something I have much patience for.

My coaching philosophy is respect. You give it to me and your teammates, and I will give it to you. Respect comes in many different forms, but it starts with discipline and hard work and giving yourself, your teammates and me, 110% all the time.

That philosophy is one I learned when I played ball in high school and then again in college.

My life philosophy has changed dramatically in the past 7+ years. After a bad accident, my football career was over and I turned to booze. I wandered for 20 years before an old friend kicked my ass and got me into gear. Now, my philosophy in life is all about respect. It starts with respecting yourself.

Yes. My 20 years drunk influenced my perspective as did some dear friends, and the good Lord, who has allowed me to have this second chance in life.

This question is a bit of a repeat. I can't say it enough, but respect yourselves, your teammates and your coaches.
    Last edited by mickyb55; 01-28-2010 at 02:20 PM.