Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Klayfish & Mrs. Klayfish - lean, mean Mommy and Daddy machines

Well, I think it's time for me to start my own journal here. In the time I've been reading this forum, I've learned so much. I walked in thinking I was doing "OK" by myself just needing some fine tuning. Boy, was I wrong! Clearly, I needed some major overhaul, especially when it came to diet. I thought I was eating healthy, and for a typical person not very into fitness, I probably was doing decent. But for someone looking to bulk up a little and still be nimble enough to run, bike and swim, it flat out sucked. My wife's condition was a bit better than mine, but her diet consisted of way too many carbs.

With lots of reading and lots of input from folks here, I think my wife and I are on our way to reaching our goals. I really have to thank ironwill2008 for spending a lot of time to give me advice, I truly appreciate it. Same to kimm4 for giving advice for my wife.

So here are our goals. First and foremost, I have to say that our primary goal is to be the best parents we can be to our 3 kids...ages 5 and twins who turn 2 in July. Part of that includes being healthy and fit, and teaching them how to do the same.

My personal goal is as follows. I want to bulk up some. Not tremendously, but add enough lean muscle to look terrific. I don't want to bulk up so much, however, that I lose the ability to run, swim and bike. My wife and I both enjoy cardio, especially her. She likes to run 5k, and wants to try a 10k this year. While bulking up, I still want the ability to be able to run with her. I am 5' 9" and as of this morning, weigh in at 156.5 lbs, with a goal of reaching 165-167 lbs.

My wife's goal is as follows. She wants to maintain the muscle mass she currently has. From her waste up, she really looks great. Lots of muscle, has a 6 pack really starting to show through, looks really good. She works out in our basement 6 days per week, as well as taking 3 different classes at the YMCA (barbell pump, shadow boxing, ab class). She spends about 30 minutes doing different weight lifting exercises, mostly with db's, as well as ab work, including an exercise ball. She also likes to run. She runs on the treadmill 6 days a week, usually doing 3-4 miles. We've done a few 5k runs. While not competitive for a win, she scores in the top 15% of 35+ year old females. Her goal is to loose the last bit of body fat which is hanging onto the top half of her legs and her hips, as well as shape up her triceps. She is 5' 4" and weighs about 148. Her goal is to reach 135 lbs, maybe 130 if it looks right on her...she wants to lose weight, but at the same time keep the muscle she's worked so hard to get.

Anyway, sorry the first post of this journal is so long winded, but I wanted to lay it all out. Don't know I'll be able to post my wife's daily workout routine, as I don't see her do it (and she may kill me for even posting this about her... ), but I can at least post her progress. As for me, I'll always post the previous days macro number and the morning workout. So here goes.

Yesterday's macro:
    2141 calories
    50.1g fat (21%)
    209.1g carb (40%)
    205.4g protein (39%)

This mornings' workout:
    Squats - 2 sets of 10 at 40lbs, one set at 50lbs
    Lunge - 2 sets of 10 at 40lbs, one set at 50lbs
    Stiff-leg deads - 2 sets of 10 at 40lbs, one set at 50lbs
    Leg press - 3 sets of 10 at 115lbs
    Leg curl - 2 sets of 10 at 60lbs, 1 set at 70lbs
    Stationary bike - 33 minute ride, 7.62 miles

This was my first day ever in a weight room. I've been a member of the gym for one year now, but I had always used machines only before. I also admit to being a "chicken leg" guy before, so most of the leg exercises are new to me, hence the low weight. Today was just about learning how to do the exercises and get it right. I feel good after the workout. No real pain in my legs, but I'm definitely used up. My hamstrings are tired for sure, I feel it trying to walk up stairs. But for a first day ever in the weight room, I really feel like I got a good workout and am very happy.

Mrs. Klayfish macro's from yesterday
    1662 calories
    43.9g fat (23%)
    168g carb (39%)
    162g protein (38%)

I hope to keep this journal daily as we work towards our goals. I also hope to get some pictures of us up soon, so we can do a before and after.

Steve
    Last edited by Klayfish; 06-01-2009 at 04:57 AM.

orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome and good luck with your goals!
    Kevin

"We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment."
    Jim Rohn

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome to you and Mrs. Klayfish. I suppose if she kills you, it will just be her journal.

Both of your goals sound great and I hope you both achieve them!

Woohoo on the kiddies. That sounds like a busy household.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Monday's macro's and Tuesdays workout

I'm fairly satisfied with yesterdays macro breakout, though I think I learned it's probably not the best idea to have a peanut butter sandwich (on whole wheat) and a center cut pork chop on the same day...fat content was a touch higher than ideal. My breakout was as follows:
    2305 calories
    73.5g fat 28%
    207.5g carb 36%
    209.6g protein 36%

And I have to say that with this new nutrition plan my wife and I are using, packing breakfast and lunches for the next day has become much more time consuming (we both eat breakfast and lunch at work). However, last night was awesome. My wife goes to barbell pump classes on Monday night, so I'm with the kids. Sometimes my nanny helps, but usually she goes to her room. My oldest son, who's just 5, pretty much was my "babysitter" last night while I was packing lunches. The kids were within my eyesight most of the time, but my oldest kept them playing, refereed when needed and always said "I got it Daddy" if one of the twins wanted something. That was cool. I got lunches made in 20 minutes, instead of the normal 35-40 min when I have to watch the kids. A win/win. I got to get lunches done quicker, which gave me more time to stop and give 100% attention to playing with the kids.

My workout routine for this morning was
    Incline dumbbell bench - 3x8 60lbs
    Flat bench fly - 3x10 40lbs
    Seated chest press machine - 3x10 1st set 160lbs. Next 2 sets at 205lbs.
    Cable crossovers - 3x12 80lbs (40 on each side)
    Ab machine - 2x12 120lbs
    Hanging leg raises - 1x10
    Treadmill - 33 minutes, including warm up and cool down - 3.32 miles

I know I left a lot on the table, especially with the bench, fly and crossovers. I feel I could have done more weight. But these are brand new exercises for me, today was my first go at them. I really wanted to make sure I was getting the form and motions right, so I kept the weight down to concentrate on mechanics. I'm very happy with the workout today and can't wait to try the next set of new exercises tomorrow.

MrsKlayfish's macros from yesterday
    1591 calories
    49.7g fat 28%
    124.7g carb - 31%
    164.6g protein - 41%

She had the same issue I did - peanut butter sandwich and pork chop on same day...too much fat. Live and learn.

She's getting the hang of thinking about her macros quite well, especially the protein. She's now working on trying to figure out how to work her exercise days so that she hits everything she wants to reach her goals outlined in the first post. She's a bit overwhelmed, which can be frustrating, but she has her eyes on the prize.

Steve

Alright, so what do you do when it's getting later in the evening and you suddenly realize you're at a calorie deficit??? Clearly poor planning on my part, but I guess part of the learning process. After eating dinner (and I should have been more aware then what I needed), I played with my kids, gave them baths, etc...then I went upstairs to log the rest of my day on Fitday. Well...I was only at around 1700 calories. I wasn't trying to starve myself at all, I guess the things I ate were lots of low calorie. Well, what now? It's 8:30pm, and I usually go to bed around 9:30ish. Do I try to pack in 500 calories quickly right before bed? I'm thinking the answer is no, so I just had a serving of protein pudding, threw in a few almonds and called it a night. My final count for the day was:

1860 calories
    53g fat - 26%
    150g carb - 32%
    191g protein - 42%

This mornings' workout, still working through the first week of this new routine, was as follows:

Seated dumbbell press 3x8 60lbs
    Dumbbell front raise 3x10 30lbs
    Lateral raise 3x10 30 lbs
    Face Pull 3x12 80lbs first set, 100lbs second two sets
    Leg press calf raise 3x10 70lbs
    Seated calf raise 3x10 45lbs
    Stationary bike - 33 minutes 7.11 miles total

All of these were brand new exercises to my routine. I had never tried any of them before. So just like the days before, I'm working on mechanics. Don't feel I got a full "power workout", but I'm very happy with the fact that I was able to focus on form and felt good about what I did. Just like days before, I left stuff on the table with the shoulder exercises, but the calf exercises were pretty tough.

MrsKlayfish's day
    1598 calories
    38.7g fat - 25%
    108g carb - 30%
    154g protein - 45%

She was very happy with this result. I heard her this morning before I left for work down in the basement. She had the TV on and I think she had one of the Jillian Michaels 30 minute bodybuilding videos on. She became a big fan of the Biggest Loser show this year, and has taken a liking to some of what Jillian preaches.

Steve

orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) orca is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good solid workouts. You're putting up some nice numbers.
    Kevin

"We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment."
    Jim Rohn

Thanks. The workout routine was designed by ironwill2008, so I'm thinkin' that by July 4th, I should like just like him. OK, well maybe July 4th, 2012.

We're both very happy with the macro numbers were achieving. We're finding at the moment that it's taking a lot of thought and planning with our meals, but I'm expecting that as we get more familiar with it, we'll easily know how to hit that balance.

Steve

Originally Posted by Klayfish View Post
    Thanks. The workout routine was designed by ironwill2008, so I'm thinkin' that by July 4th, I should like just like him. OK, well maybe July 4th, 2012.

We're both very happy with the macro numbers were achieving. We're finding at the moment that it's taking a lot of thought and planning with our meals, but I'm expecting that as we get more familiar with it, we'll easily know how to hit that balance.

Steve
    Bill knows his stuff. He'll give you excellent advice and a little nudge every now and then.
    Kevin

Jim Rohn

Yeah, Bill knows his stuff for sure.

OK, running behind schedule this morning, have to be quick.

Yesterdays macros
    2101 calories (I have just got to start eating more...I don't get it)
    63g fat 28%
    149g carbs - 29%
    224g protein - 44%

This morning's exercise routine
    Lat pulldown - 1x10 105lbs 2x10 115lbs
    Barbell row - 3x10 40lbs
    Seated cable row w/close-grip handle - 3x10 100lbs
    Lower back machine - 3x10 90lbs
    Sit ups - 2x15
    Hanging leg raises - 3x10
    25 minutes in the pool - freestyle and side stroke - I don't measure exactly. This is my "fun" cardio day. I certainly push hard, but don't worry exactly how fast or far. I just enjoy swimming. I do about 1600-1700 meters.

The exercises felt great. I had done some back exercising previous to this routine, but not that much. I was supposed to do deadlifts, but swapped the low back machine today instead. No excuses to be made, but I have a history of low back problems. Nothing serious, but I've had it "go out" on multiple occassions, so I'm always cautious with it. I want to really strengthen it a bit more with this routine, then try the deadlift. I know it's all about form, but I want someone with me first to show me the right form.

I also use Thursday as my weigh in day. Today, I weighted in at 156.5lbs. Exactly the same as last week. That's fine for now, as I'm just getting a handle on eating clean and my new workout routine.

Steve

MrsKlayfish
    1674 calories
    34g fat - 19%
    120g carbs - 29%
    208g protein - 52% (a bit too high)

immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great journal start; very detailed.

How did you come up with your user name(s). Klayfish is very interesting.

Most people ask me if I'm really into fishing. Truthfully, I haven't held a fishing pole since my dad took me to the local pond as a child. Klayfish is a combination of my last name and my wife's maiden name. I came up with it at least 10 years ago when we were dating and wanted to sign up for AOL service using a screen name we could both use. It's stuck with us ever since.

My macros for yesterday:
    2259 calories - much better
    62g fat - 25%
    163.6g carb - 29%
    251g protein - 46%

My workout routine this morning:
    Barbell curl - 2x10 50lbs 1x10 60lbs
    Incline seated dumbell curl - 2x10 40lbs 1x10 50lbs
    Hammer curl - 2x10 40lbs 1x10 50lbs
    Bench press close grip - 3x10 85lbs

I'm happy to say I successfully completed my first week of training with my new routine, which was switching from all machines and going into the weightroom. I think I accomplished two very important things. First and foremost, I didn't hurt myself. Second, while I know a left some on the table, I established a great baseline for my routine. Next week, I can look back at this week and know whether to increase the weight a little or leave it as is. So I'm very excited to really get into it.

So now it's the weekend, which is my rest time. Looking forward to our cheat meal tonight with my wife. Once a week, my wife and I wait for all the kids to go to bed, and grab dinner by ourselves. Just my wife and me sitting in front of the TV with a dinner we don't have to cook or plan and relaxing. Sheer bliss. Probably going to do Domino's pizza, which if we eat 2 slices of thin crust isn't really that bad anyway, and a few store bought french fries. While I love working out, I understand the rest importance...though my weekends are hardly resting. Tomorrow, I put on a car show. My wife and I founded the local Shelby Cobra 427SC replica club, and even though I sold mine 3 years ago, I still put on the clubs' yearly show. We usually draw around 90 people and 45 Cobras. Sunday I'll probably go for a light jog just for fun, but otherwise I'll do all housework.

MrsKlayfish macros:
    1665 calories
    38g fat - 20%
    135g carb - 31%
    200g protein - 49%

She weighed in yesterday at 150lbs, which is right where she's says she's been recently, maybe a pound less. She's very excited with the new diet and realizes this is a long term project, not a "quick fix". We're going to do a few sessions with a personal trainer, mostly for her, to help her get a 5 day split that will really work for her. I can't wait. She deserves it. She looks awesome as it is, and I can't wait to see how much better it'll get.

Steve
    Last edited by Klayfish; 06-05-2009 at 05:26 AM.

Happy Monday to everyone. I'm beginning week two of this journal, and my new exercise routine. It was also weekend one under this new plan. Weekends are going to be the challenge, especially when it comes to diet.

My wife and I had our "cheat meal" on Friday, and we planned for it by eating smart early in the day, so we could have our dinner alone. No kids, just us sitting in front of the TV. We had some pizza and fries and it was great. We didn't overstuff ourselves, but thoroughly enjoyed it. And actually, in the end, our carb count was higher than normal, but we were still within 100 calories of a "normal" day and still had plenty of protein. Saturday, I was the host of an annual car show I put on. I have a pizza shop cater the event with burgers and pizza, but I stayed true to my nutrition plan and packed my lunch. Saturday evening I dropped a ceramic dinner plate on top of my foot. You'd think it would land flat, but nooooooo....I dropped it vertically at a 90 degree angle from how you'd hold it, so it landed straight down with it's edge on my foot. Son of a.....ouch!!!! It made for fun today trying to lace up my exercise sneakers.

My macros from yesterday weren't where I'd like, or calories. We travelled to my sister in laws, and I didn't enough before hand. And she usually cooks junk, so I was only able to eat grilled chicken breast and some salad. Weekends are always tough, because they're ad hoc with our schedules.
    1922 calories
    55g fat - 27%
    110g carb - 24%
    230 g protein - 49%

Today at the gym was leg day. I lowered the weights from last week, because I think I pushed too hard...it was Thursday or Friday before I was really not very sore from last weeks workout. The legs are going to need a long time to get up to speed with weights.

Squats - 4x8 30lbs
    Lunges - 3x8 30lbs
    Stiff leg deads - 3x10 30lbs
    Leg curls - 3x10 70lbs
    Leg press - 3x10 110lbs
    Stationary bike - 33 minutes 7.75 miles

This feels much better. My legs, especially my hamstrings are definitely tired and bit sore, but not as wiped out as last week.

MrsKlayfish
    1728 calories
    33.7g fat - 17% - not enough
    148g carb - 33%
    216g protein - 50%

She is really getting into this, and was checking all labels at the grocery store this weekend, etc...She's bound and determined to lower her body fat count, and it's only a matter of time...

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Great workouts but your calories are seriously low. Maintenance should be around 2500 so for a bulk you should be at least up to that, preferably 100-200 over. Get the cals up and make the most of your workouts!

Glad to read that your wife is going to switch to a split. That'll be so much better for her.

Ok, pizza and fries??? Dude! I don't think I have ever in my life paired those two foods

Yeah, I think the pizza and fries combination is a new wave that's going to sweep the nation. I'm thinking about opening a restaurant that serves both...I'll be a pioneer. We may even serve soda to drink. The cheat meal was cool. We planned our day successfully for it before hand. Even researched the macros of it all before we ate, so we knew what we'd be taking in. Mmmmmm....french fries....one of my true junk food weaknesses. I love potatoes.

Yeah, my calories for yesterday sucked. When we got home late last night, as I had done once before, I knew I was way under, but didn't know if it was a smart idea to eat a lot right before bed, even if the foods were healthy. If it is OK, I could have eaten 2 cups of that protein pudding I make, I love that stuff. Still trying to get a handle on my maintenance level and bulking level needed, but I think you're probably dead on. During the week, I've gotten up to 2350 (I started around 2150 when I was first tracking food). So I need to keep figuring out where to add more, and make sure I keep the right balance.

I think my wife has really got her numbers nailed. She's right around the 1700 mark day after day, +/- 50. She's started working on a split that will work right for her. I know she's not running every single day like she used to. She's doing more weight training.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Next time, eat the pudding. Eating right before bed is fine. Even when leaning out. It's the daily intake that counts.

If you like potatoes and fries, make your own. Do you eat sweet potatoes? They're great plain (baked, not microwaved) and you can make sweet potato fries in the oven. There's a couple of recipe threads in the female>nutrition forum. You might get ideas.

Pizza and fries....yeesh

We actually do make home made french fries on occassion, but they never turn out great. My wife likes sweet potato, I'm not so into it.

My macros from yesterday:
    2236 calories
    58.7g fat - 23%
    207g carb - 37%
    222g protein - 40%

Much better than the weekend numbers. I think had I added a serving of almonds to my day, I probably would have been almost spot on where I wanted. So I'm very encouraged by this.

My workout today
    Incline dumbbell bench - 3x10 70lbs
    Flat bench fly - 3x10 60lbs
    Seated chest press machine - 3x10 1st set 175lbs using lower grips. Next 2 sets at 205lbs using higher grips.
    Cable crossovers - 3x12 100lbs (50 on each side)
    Treadmill - 33 minutes - 3.31 miles

Exercises felt good the second time around. I had a better feel for what I was doing and could push myself harder. Definitely will say that tonight is an early bed night. As soon as my oldest goes to bed, I'm going right behind him. Haven't had much sleep lately, which is really going to hurt me. Last night I had planned on getting sleep, but our nanny was upset with some things, so we were up late talking to her. Oh well. Love her to death, she's absolutely wonderful, but her timing yesterday stunk. Having a nanny has been a great experience for us and the kids, but in a lot of respects it really is like having a 4th child (she's 20 years old).

MrsKlayfish's macros
    1481 calories
    35g fat - 21%
    142g carb - 37%
    160g protein - 42%

She's usually much better about hitting her calories. I think she missed her mid-afternoon snack due to scheduling. Not a horrible day, but 100-150 calories short.

As I had posted on the over 35 general forum, I really did not feel well yesterday. Not sure if it was a stomach virus, or food I had eaten. Whatever it was, I felt wiped out all day, didn't even want to get up from my office chair. And my appetite just wasn't there. For most of the day, the thought of food just made me nauseus. I went out and bought Gatorade, which I only do when I'm sick, so it was a very rare thing. I slowly felt a bit better later in the day, and today I'm not quite 100% but I'm definitely much better. That said, given how crappy I felt yesterday and that I just had no desire to eat, my calorie intake wasn't too bad. Instead of eating 6 meals spaced out, which just wasn't going to happen, I kept food out all day and nibbled as much as I could. Eat a few bites, wait a bit until my stomach settled, eat a few more bites. By dinner, I was feeling somewhat better and able to eat 75% of what I normally would have. So, my macros were:
    1904 calories
    59g fat - 27%
    158g carb - 33%
    195.5g protein - 40%

Exercise routine for this morning was:

Seated dumbbell press 3x8 70lbs
    Face Pull 3x12 90lbs first set, 100lbs second set, 110lbs third set
    Leg press calf raise 3x10 70lbs
    Seated calf raise 3x10 45lbs
    Stationary bike - 33 minutes 7.92 miles total

Exercise routine felt good. Those front and lateral raises are tough!! Here I am using 15lb weights on each arm, and I'm struggling hard to complete my last set. But I feel I got a good workout in, so I'm happy with it. I really need to focus on getting my calorie level up to where it needs to be, so I can actually see gains out of this new routine I have.

MrsKlayfish macros
    1566 calories
    40g fat - 22%
    137g carb - 34%
    174.6g protein - 44%

I heard her this morning downstairs with the Jillian Michaels video on, so I know she was working hard at her weightlifting. I am very impressed (but not surprised) with her committment to changing her routine to get her desired results. Prior to our start of this journey, she really enjoyed her running, and was very, very hesitant to give any of it up. She still runs some, and enjoys it, but she has cut it way down and replaced it with more weights and more steady state cardio.

Steve

Yesterdays nutrition is definitely much closer to where I really want to get daily, so I was very happy with it. I accomplished it when I realized that right after dinner, I was still short. So I grabbed a few more almonds and a tbsp of natty pb, and it put me where I was looking for. Very cool. I'm feeling very good about where I'm going, but still a bit overwhelmed with the amount of things I'm trying to learn about what I need, while also trying to help my wife, since her needs are different than mine. I'm still figuring out if the things I need will work for me, or be counterproductive (i.e. too much cardio, etc....), but I'm getting there.

Calories: 2367
    78g fat - 30%
    169g carb - 28%
    247g protein - 42%

Exercise routine
    Lat pulldown - 2x10 115lbs 1x9.5 130lbs - the 10th rep didn't quite make it all the way
    Barbell row - 1x10 40lbs 2x10 50lbs
    Seated cable row w/close-grip handle - 2x10 100lbs 1x10 115lbs
    Lower back machine - 2x10 90lbs 1x10 100lbs
    Sit ups - 3x15 holding 10lb weight
    Ab machine 2x12 125lbs
    25 minutes in the pool - again, this is my "fun" cardio. I'm doing laps, but not at max capacity or counting anything. I just swim and whatever I do, I do.

So today was my weigh in day. And I guess I figured out that around 2100 calories per day plus 2 days of even less (one day sick and one day travelling) do not meet my maintenance levels. The scale at the gym is really screwed up, as it kept giving me different readings, but after many tries, I was getting consistent readings at 154.5lbs. That's 2lbs less than last week. Time to really try to step up the intake without overdoing it.

MrsKlayfish's numbers
    Calories - 1710
    Fat - 43.5g - 22%
    Carbs - 141.5g - 32%
    Protein - 197g - 46%

We really need to find her a good workout split that will allow her to track her progress and reach her goals of being sculpted in her lower body (upper is already there), not losing any muscle, and still be able to run charity 5ks. Right now, she's so confused it's hard to know what's right and wrong for her. Trying to convince her to read more here and/or have sessions with a personal trainer.

Steve

I'm finally getting my calories up where I think they should be...at least I think I am. Yesterday, I was
    2399 calories
    Fat - 76.5g - 28%
    Carb - 201g - 32%
    Protein - 243g - 40%

I'm happy with that number. Today is Friday. That means cheat meal for dinner. My favorite night of the week...mostly because we get to wait for the kids to go to bed and eat dinner alone. Probably going for grilled chicken sandwiches from the local pizza shop and my beloved french fries. Mmmmmm....

Barbell curl - 1x10 60lbs 1x10 70lbs 1x8 70lbs - I just couldn't get those last 2...muscles were exhausted
    Incline seated dumbell curl - 2x10 60lbs 1x8 60lbs - same as above
    Hammer curl - 3x10 40lbs
    Bench press close grip - 2x10 90lbs 1x8 90lbs - no spotter, don't want to get stuck
    Pulldowns - 1x10 70lbs 2x10 90lbs
    Treadmill - today I tried doing HIIT. Maintenance run at 6mph, sprint to 8 or 9. 33 total minutes, 3.65 total miles

MrsKlayfish
    1688 calories
    Fat - 50g - 26%
    Carbs - 129g - 29%
    Protein - 201g - 46%

freebirdmac, if you're reading this, THANK YOU for all of your advice. It's given my wife more confidence and we're off and running on designing her workout routine to fit her goals. It's awesome!

We hope to get some photos of ourselves this weekend, so we can show the "before" pictures. Also looking forward to rest days. Tomorrow there is a local carnival we'll be taking the kids to, as well as a rescue truck show at the local fire hall, which the kids will love too. Then it's 4 hours on my riding tractor to mow the @#$** lawn.

Steve

Monday already?? Was a pretty good weekend. Saturday morning, we took the kids to a "touch a truck" show at the local fire company. It's a show where they have all kids of trucks (and some cars) that kids can climb in, look at, etc... Everything from fire engines, police cars, ambulances to dump trucks, tractor trailers, trash trucks, race cars, even a helicopter. They also had miniature versions of these trucks....you know...those little things powered by 5hp lawn mower engines...and they took kids for rides on them. My children had a blast. And of course daddy spent a lot of the time hanging around the race cars. Yesterday was lawn mowing day...all 3.5 hours of it. We also have a neighbor girl come over and help out with watching the kids, so that my wife and I can get more stuff done around the house. So it was a productive day.

Yesterday was a dead on day for my macros...and I'm still working on bumping up calories.

Calorie total:
    2498 calories
    Fat - 79g 30%
    Carb - 182g 30%
    Protein - 240g 40%

Exercise routine:
    Squats - 4x10 30lbs
    Lunges - 3x10 30lbs
    Leg curls - 3x10 70lbs
    Leg press - 3x10 110lbs
    Stationary bike - 33 minutes - 8.45 miles. Doing HIIT today. What a challenge...

MrsKlayfish
    1648 calories
    Fat - 51g 30%
    Carb - 99g 25%
    Protein - 175.6g 45%
    Numbers were a bit off, as we had ground beef last night. It's hard to measure the exact fat intake, as we squeeze the living hell out of our ground beef to try to get the fat out, but we really don't know how much comes out, so we don't take much off the label when entering it into Fitday

Going to buy her a Polar F11 or Body Bugg as a gift this week. Still just trying to figure out what the difference between them is...besides $100.

You're welcome!

I don't worry too much about fat intake going on on my steak or tuna days. If I ate them more than I do (steak once a week, tuna maybe twice a week) then I'd have to make some adjustments. Same with the occasional salmon. Those protein sources do contain more fat then you'd usually get from chicken or protein shakes, but if it's not a daily thing and your cals are on target, I won't worry about it. Macros don't have to be hit exactly every day of the week.

Sounds like you guys are doing great!

Yeah, I know. We can both be a bit on the obsessive side when we really find something we're into...it's a type A personality thing. Makes for a fun marriage with two type A's

I'm finding that I need to buy a new lunch bag to bring to work. Mine is literally busting at the seams as I try to pack it. I get raised eyebrows from coworkers who see me bring it in, it's really funny. Maybe I'll buy a giant cooler and put it next to my desk and watch their reactions.

Macros from yesterday
    2515 calories
    81g fat - 30%
    221g carb - 35% do'h!!
    215g protein - 35%

Exercise routine
    Incline dumbbell bench - 1x10 70lbs 2x10 80lbs
    Seated chest press machine - 3x10 1st set 175lbs using lower grips. Next 2 sets at 205lbs using higher grips.
    Incline sit ups - 3x12 holding a 10lb weight
    Treadmill - 33 minutes - 3.51 miles HIIT style

Feeling good. I need to double check my form on the crossovers and incline bench. Not sure I'm doing it quite right. I don't feel it in my chest as much as my arms.

MrsKlayfish
    1654 calories
    45g fat - 24%
    120g carb - 27%
    207g protein - 49%

She has designed herself a spreadsheet for logging her workouts, of which I'm going to modify for my own use. Also think she may need to up her caloric intake. She mentioned that she lost 3lbs last week (I need to get her weight numbers). But the week before, with the same calorie intake, she lost 0. Also wondering if we need a better scale....????

Steve

Diets can lag by 1-2 weeks in terms of seeing results. Usually when I start leaning out the scale goes up the first week. The three pounds is probably mostly water. I wouldn't switch things around unless you see the same sort of trend over a few weeks. One of the big mistakes people make is changing the diet too frequently. You really need a good 3 weeks on one plan to make an assessment.

Yep, I hear ya. We'll watch it for another week or two and see what happens. She's been on this diet consistently for about 3 weeks now, so hopefully we'll have our baseline established pretty soon.

My numbers from yesterday
    Calories - 2511
    Fat - 76.4g - 28%
    Carb - 187.5g - 30%
    Protein - 266g - 42%

Exercise routine for this morning was:

Seated dumbbell press 3x8 70lbs
    Face Pull 2x12 110lbs 1x12 120lbs
    Leg press calf raise 2x10 70lbs 1x10 75lbs
    Seated calf raise 2x10 45lbs 1x10 50lbs
    Stationary bike - 33 minutes 8.07 miles total

Nothing exciting to report today, which I guess is good. Those lateral and front raises are hard, that's for sure.

MrsKlayfish
    1655 calories
    Fat - 51.5g - 27%
    Carb - 124g - 29%
    Protein - 185g - 44%

Have a great humpday everyone!!

Woke up this morning with a kink in my neck...guess I must have slept on it wrong. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

My intake numbers from yesterday:
    2521 calories
    Fat - 82g - 29%
    Carb - 200g - 31%
    Protein - 261g - 41%

Exercise routine
    Lat pulldown - 1x10 115lbs 2x 10 130lbs
    Barbell row - 2x10 50lbs 1x10 60lbs
    Seated cable row w/close-grip handle - 3x10 115lbs
    Lower back machine - 2x10 100lbs 1x10 110lbs
    Sit ups - 3x12 holding 10lb weight
    Ab machine 2x12 125lbs
    Hanging leg raises - 2x10
    25 minutes in the pool to splash around

The workout felt good. I made definite gains over last week, but I think part of that is me still exploring where my limits are. For instance, after doing my second set of barbell rows, I thought to myself "I can do more than this", so I went to 60lbs the next time. I think I'm pushing pretty hard, as at the end of each set, I'm pretty winded. Give myself about 20 seconds, maybe 30, then on to the next exercise. I know I'm giving myself a good workout. With my lat pulldowns, I'm keeping my form good (at least I think I am), but reps 9 and 10 take everything I've got.

Today was weigh in day. I have really got to get a high quality scale for home, as the gym one just doesn't seem to work right. I step on it 6 times and get 4 different readings. But it was hovering in readings between 153.5 and 154.5. So I'm either the same weight as last week, or 1lb less. According to Fitday, my average intake last week was 2500 calories, up from 2200 the week before. I'm thinking my maintenance is probably around 2600-2700.

MrsKlayfish macros
    1694 calories
    Fat - 46.5g - 24%
    Carb - 131g - 30%
    Protein - 197g - 46%

I'm hoping to get her to e-mail me her daily workout, so I can post it here too. She'd love to get some input on what she's doing.

Steve

OK, my wife just e-mailed me her workout for today. Good grief, she works her butt off...

Running HIIT 30 min total ? 5 min warm up, 4.5 min cool down 20 min run with 1min / 30 sec interval at 2% incline with the speed at 6.9/8.1 mph split

Squats -
    Wide stance 70lbs 10 reps /3 sets

Closed stance 70lbs 10 reps /3 sets

Shoulder stance 70lbs 10 reps /3 sets

Straight leg dead lifts 60 lbs, 10 reps / 3 sets

Front lunges DB- 60lbs, 10 reps / 3 sets per leg

Back lunges DB 60lbs, 10 reps / 3 sets per leg

Calf Raises 60lbs, 10 reps / 3 sets

Leg extensions 5lbs, 10 reps / 2 sets per leg

Inside thighs 5lbs, 10 reps / 2 sets per leg

Plank side taps, 5 lbs, 10 reps / 4 sets per leg

Her comments: "I tweaked something on the right lat when I was doing squats so I could have done a little more but didn?t want to push it ? I am fine"

Originally Posted by Klayfish View Post
    OK, my wife just e-mailed me her workout for today. Good grief, she works her butt off...

Running HIIT 30 min total ? 5 min warm up, 4.5 min cool down 20 min run with 1min / 30 sec interval at 2% incline with the speed at 6.9/8.1 mph split

Squats -
    Wide stance 70lbs 10 reps /3 sets

Closed stance 70lbs 10 reps /3 sets

Shoulder stance 70lbs 10 reps /3 sets

Straight leg dead lifts 60 lbs, 10 reps / 3 sets

Front lunges DB- 60lbs, 10 reps / 3 sets per leg

Back lunges DB 60lbs, 10 reps / 3 sets per leg

Calf Raises 60lbs, 10 reps / 3 sets

Leg extensions 5lbs, 10 reps / 2 sets per leg

Inside thighs 5lbs, 10 reps / 2 sets per leg

Plank side taps, 5 lbs, 10 reps / 4 sets per leg

Her comments: "I tweaked something on the right lat when I was doing squats so I could have done a little more but didn?t want to push it ? I am fine"
    I wouldn't do HIIT, or any cardio on leg day. Yikes! Also, do any cardio after weights.

Is she working legs once a week or twice?

I'd drop the shoulder width squats. She's hitting all areas by doing wide and closed. I'd also pick one type of lunges to do. She can alternate by workout or do one type for a few weeks then switch up. I'd also do the leg extensions before calfs so the quads don't cool down.

Does she have any means on doing ham curls? If not maybe there's something here she can do in addition to the deadlifts http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Thi...#anchor1942303

Happy Friday!! Let's get straight to the tale of the tape first. Yesterday's macros:

2571 calories
    Fat - 76.5g - 26%
    Carb - 201g - 31%
    Protein - 279g - 43%

Barbell curl - 2x10 70lbs 1x9 70lbs - I just couldn't get that last one - but it's better than last week.
    Incline seated dumbell curl - 2x10 40lbs 1x8 40lbs
    Hammer curl - 3x10 40lbs
    Bench press close grip - 3x10 90lbs
    Pulldowns - 3x10 90lbs
    Treadmill - 33 minutes - 3.49 miles

So I checked online to look at proper form for the incline seated dumbbell curl and realized I was sitting too upright. I went to more of a reclined position, but not too much, and holy crap! I can only manage 20lb weights in each arm. Makes a giant difference. But I definitely feel it was a great workout. Keeping the form good, and I'm pushing hard. I find myself winded and my muscles flat out of gas when I'm done.

The search for a serious upgrade in equipment for Kara continues. While I don't want to spend a fortune, I know she's committed to this. She's been working out for years, and I see no reason she won't continue. So I want to get what's right for her.

Today is her rest day, so no workout. Macro's from yesterday:
    1713 calories
    Fat - 44.4g - 23%
    Carb - 134.5g - 30%
    Protein - 203.5g - 47%

What a weekend I've got coming up. It's time for my Friday night cheat meal. My wife and our nanny are going to the movies tonight. So I'm with the kids alone. But once they're all in bed at 8:30pm, I've got the house to myself. That's my version of Friday night "happy hour". That means I'll sit in front of the TV and eat my chicken nuggets and fries for 30 minutes, watch more TV for 30 minutes, then fall asleep. How much better can it get?? Then on Saturday, the nanny is watching the kids at night, so my wife and I get a rare date night. And Sunday is Father's Day. My wife is watching the kids all day. So I plan to wash the cars in the morning, take a nap after lunch, then sit and watch the NASCAR race, since it's a road course race, which is my favorite. Life is good....

Steve

Good morning everyone. Hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was quite good. As I posted on Friday, I was really looking forward to it. Friday night was cheat meal night, and I had the house to myself. Stuffed my face with chicken nuggets (hey...at least I got lots of protein...) and fries. My wife and I went to see a movie called "The Taking of Pelham 123" on Saturday. It was pretty good. Great to have a night out without the kids. Fathers' Day was good. Stayed around the house and spent time with the kids, then watched some racing.

My nutrition from yesterday
    Calories - 2761 - I'm pushing it up there higher. I know that I haven't found maintenance, so I'm going to eat more until I find where I need to be. I'm finding it more challenging than I thought
    Fat - 83.5g - 27%
    Carb - 194.6g - 29%
    Protein - 302g - 44%

Squats - 3x10 30lbs
    Lunges - 3x10 30lbs
    Leg curls - 3x10 70lbs
    Leg press - 3x10 110lbs
    Stationary bike - 33 minutes - 7.91 miles.

Oops, forgot to do the 4th set of squats...maybe I need to stop using my MP3 player. Anywhow, I feel like I'm ready to bump the weight on the squats, lunges and deads, but I'll probably try it for one set next week. After that first week, I've learned a lesson about not doing too much. After today's workout, I certainly feel like they got a good workout, but I could have pushed it just a bit harder.

Today was chest day in my workout. I'm still working on perfecting form. Last night, I watched a few videos (again) of how to do a cable crossover and realized that I wasn't doing it quite right. So I concentrated hard on my form today, and noticed a huge difference. I also noticed that doing it right made it harder for me to complete the reps of my other exercises as I was working the right muscles harder.

Plus, I realized that if my head weren't attached to my neck in the morning, I'd leave it behind....I was walking out of the weight room to go to the aerobics/weight machine room to get on the treadmill. I looked at the clock and thought...gee, I'm early. Then it hit me...I totally forgot to do my ab exercises. Do'h!! Back into the weight room I ran. Genius...sheer genius.

Calories - 2774
    Fat - 88.7g - 29%
    Carb - 224g - 33%
    Protein - 259.6g - 38%

Exercise routine
    Incline dumbbell bench - 3x10 80lbs
    Seated chest press machine - 3x10 1st set 175lbs using lower grips. Next 2 sets at 205lbs using higher grips. The last set I'd say I only got 9 clean reps...I was wiped out from the cable crossovers.
    Incline sit ups - 3x12 holding a 10lb weight
    Treadmill - 33 minutes - 3.56 miles - steady state

MrsKlayfish
    Calories - 1696
    Fat - 45g - 24%
    Carb - 136g - 31%
    Protein - 190.5g - 45%

She was very happy to read the comments about her photos that I posted. She has worked hard and is proud of what she's done. The funny thing was that she said to me "I wish someone had ripped me a new a$$hole about how my legs looked and told me what I needed to do". She's so determined to reach her goals....

Steve