Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User morenasurfs's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Age: 39
    Stats: 5'1", 120 lbs
    Posts: 16
    Rep Power: 0
    morenasurfs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit morenasurfs's BodySpace
    morenasurfs is offline

    Deep Pain in glute, leg and arch

    I have been experiencing a very deep pain in my left leg and glute. I have had to stop doing deadlifts because it flares the pain so badly. My left achiles tendon becomes very tight along with my left calf and the pain in my glute is constant. I always push through it but I have noticed that it becomes worst after I perform glute exercises, and my achiles and calf get pretty bad after running and jumproping. I always stretch after wmy workouts but it never seems to go away. It often hinders my workouts and I am starting to get pretty frustrated with it. My left arch in my foot is pretty flat and I am starting to think this may also be casuing some issues when running as I also have pain there.

    Can anyone give me a clue as to what this could be and what I can do do relieve tha pain? I know massage therapy helps and my therapist will release the msucles but it always comes back. Besides I can not afford to see her very often.

    ( I did break my left leg the tibia about 7 years ago and it has never been the same) This is also the leg in whcih I always end up with shin splints!! It seems like if it's not one thing it's the other, with this limb.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User braindx's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: United States
    Posts: 3,293
    BodyPoints: 115
    Rep Power: 2402
    braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit braindx's BodySpace
    braindx is offline
    Deep gluteal muscles pinching on sciatic nerve leading to neuropathy alll the way down into the leg....

    Do all of the soft tissue work in section 4 here:
    http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

    And tell me how that goes. Note what hurts and what doesn't.
    No post is professional medical, nutrition or training info!

    MRIs: Upload & PM

    Injury articles:
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/01/on-muscle-strains
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/02/so-you-hurt-your-lower-back
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/03/cracking-and-popping-and-clicking-oh-my
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/10/a-firm-foundation-focusing-on-the-feet/
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User morenasurfs's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Age: 39
    Stats: 5'1", 120 lbs
    Posts: 16
    Rep Power: 0
    morenasurfs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit morenasurfs's BodySpace
    morenasurfs is offline
    And tell me how that goes. Note what hurts and what doesn't.[/QUOTE]



    Thank you so much Braindx for all this infomration, whenever I have ailments I really try to educate myself as much as I can and search for natural ways to heal my body so this web site is incredibly helpful.

    I think the soft tissue exercises are helping, but of course ehaling takes time and I am getting a bit frustrated as my injury seems to be getting worst and is keeping me from doing some of the things that I want to do.

    yesterday I did ( half) a spinn class and then worked on glutes. Today the pain is really bad, I pushed myself to run 2.75 miles (on treadmill) I really would love to run more but my leg throbs so bad that I can hardly ever go past that. I stop in between and stretch my calves and have been doing my stretching religiously but the pain and my shin splints have worstened. I always warm up and cool down. I don't want to stop working the glutes but I am definitely agrevating the pain. I think it may be time for a deep tissue massage, do you feel it would alleviate some of the discomfort at least temporarily? It does not only hurt while exercising it hurts all day.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Banned Kodokan's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 37
    Stats: 5'11", 225 lbs
    Posts: 2,996
    Rep Power: 0
    Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Kodokan's BodySpace
    Kodokan is offline
    Originally Posted by braindx View Post
    Deep gluteal muscles pinching on sciatic nerve leading to neuropathy alll the way down into the leg....

    Do all of the soft tissue work in section 4 here:
    http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

    And tell me how that goes. Note what hurts and what doesn't.
    just curious, why would you suspect that and not a herniated disc?
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Banned Kodokan's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 37
    Stats: 5'11", 225 lbs
    Posts: 2,996
    Rep Power: 0
    Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Kodokan's BodySpace
    Kodokan is offline
    Originally Posted by morenasurfs View Post
    I have been experiencing a very deep pain in my left leg and glute. I have had to stop doing deadlifts because it flares the pain so badly. My left achiles tendon becomes very tight along with my left calf and the pain in my glute is constant. I always push through it but I have noticed that it becomes worst after I perform glute exercises, and my achiles and calf get pretty bad after running and jumproping. I always stretch after wmy workouts but it never seems to go away. It often hinders my workouts and I am starting to get pretty frustrated with it. My left arch in my foot is pretty flat and I am starting to think this may also be casuing some issues when running as I also have pain there.

    Can anyone give me a clue as to what this could be and what I can do do relieve tha pain? I know massage therapy helps and my therapist will release the msucles but it always comes back. Besides I can not afford to see her very often.

    ( I did break my left leg the tibia about 7 years ago and it has never been the same) This is also the leg in whcih I always end up with shin splints!! It seems like if it's not one thing it's the other, with this limb.
    it might be worth trying to do a McKenzie extension (cobra stretch, lying prone on floor and press up with your hands...like a pushup leaving your legs and hips down) when your glute / calf pain are active. if it increases the pain, then stop...

    i mention this because i have sciatica from a herniated disc and it gives me quite a bit of relief.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User morenasurfs's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Age: 39
    Stats: 5'1", 120 lbs
    Posts: 16
    Rep Power: 0
    morenasurfs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit morenasurfs's BodySpace
    morenasurfs is offline
    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    it might be worth trying to do a McKenzie extension (cobra stretch, lying prone on floor and press up with your hands...like a pushup leaving your legs and hips down) when your glute / calf pain are active. if it increases the pain, then stop...

    i mention this because i have sciatica from a herniated disc and it gives me quite a bit of relief.
    thank you Kodokan..

    I did do some additional glute stretching yesterday I was in so much pain and it really helped. I am hoping that by incorporating more and more deep stretching that I wil have some relief, I hate not being able to work to my full potential because of the pain. So i welcome any advice. Much abliged.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User braindx's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: United States
    Posts: 3,293
    BodyPoints: 115
    Rep Power: 2402
    braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit braindx's BodySpace
    braindx is offline
    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    just curious, why would you suspect that and not a herniated disc?
    Pain originating in the butt is usually some form of sciatica or piriformis syndrome.

    While it is true that you can sciatica from a herniated disc (especially at L5-S1 level) the OP did not state in topic that pain occurred during any flexion based movement (although I guess you could infer it from the DLs).

    However, the fact that he has some systemic lower body dysfunctions such as flat feet which usually cause problems up the lower body chain makes me suspect it's not a disc issue at least yet.
    No post is professional medical, nutrition or training info!

    MRIs: Upload & PM

    Injury articles:
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/01/on-muscle-strains
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/02/so-you-hurt-your-lower-back
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/03/cracking-and-popping-and-clicking-oh-my
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/10/a-firm-foundation-focusing-on-the-feet/
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User braindx's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: United States
    Posts: 3,293
    BodyPoints: 115
    Rep Power: 2402
    braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) braindx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit braindx's BodySpace
    braindx is offline
    Originally Posted by morenasurfs View Post
    Thank you so much Braindx for all this infomration, whenever I have ailments I really try to educate myself as much as I can and search for natural ways to heal my body so this web site is incredibly helpful.

    I think the soft tissue exercises are helping, but of course ehaling takes time and I am getting a bit frustrated as my injury seems to be getting worst and is keeping me from doing some of the things that I want to do.

    yesterday I did ( half) a spinn class and then worked on glutes. Today the pain is really bad, I pushed myself to run 2.75 miles (on treadmill) I really would love to run more but my leg throbs so bad that I can hardly ever go past that. I stop in between and stretch my calves and have been doing my stretching religiously but the pain and my shin splints have worstened. I always warm up and cool down. I don't want to stop working the glutes but I am definitely agrevating the pain. I think it may be time for a deep tissue massage, do you feel it would alleviate some of the discomfort at least temporarily? It does not only hurt while exercising it hurts all day.
    Yes, deep tissue massage.

    Don't do anything that aggravates it.

    It's likely that your running technique is off if something aggravates it like that. Are you a heel toe runner? If so, you need to switch.
    No post is professional medical, nutrition or training info!

    MRIs: Upload & PM

    Injury articles:
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/01/on-muscle-strains
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/02/so-you-hurt-your-lower-back
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/03/cracking-and-popping-and-clicking-oh-my
    http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/10/a-firm-foundation-focusing-on-the-feet/
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Banned Kodokan's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 37
    Stats: 5'11", 225 lbs
    Posts: 2,996
    Rep Power: 0
    Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Kodokan's BodySpace
    Kodokan is offline
    Originally Posted by braindx View Post
    Pain originating in the butt is usually some form of sciatica or piriformis syndrome.

    While it is true that you can sciatica from a herniated disc (especially at L5-S1 level) the OP did not state in topic that pain occurred during any flexion based movement (although I guess you could infer it from the DLs).

    However, the fact that he has some systemic lower body dysfunctions such as flat feet which usually cause problems up the lower body chain makes me suspect it's not a disc issue at least yet.
    my first thought was actually possible herniated disc...hearing about deadlifts, buttock pain, and calf pain. but, that's because i'm sure i'm biased on my own situation. i had buttock pain (and eventually posterior thigh/calf pain) following deadlifts. buttock, back of thigh, and calf pain are on the track for l5 s1 herniation.

    i read alot online about piriformis syndrome and thought that's what i had for a while...but eventually got an MRI and it did turn out to be herniated disc at l5 s1 for my case.

    despite my personal bias in this...if it is a herniated disc, it can get worse so i would personally want to rule that out first before doing any more heavy squats and DL's.

    in any case, good luck with it OP.
    Last edited by Kodokan; 01-30-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User morenasurfs's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Age: 39
    Stats: 5'1", 120 lbs
    Posts: 16
    Rep Power: 0
    morenasurfs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit morenasurfs's BodySpace
    morenasurfs is offline

    Unhappy

    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    my first thought was actually possible herniated disc...hearing about deadlifts, buttock pain, and calf pain. but, that's because i'm sure i'm biased on my own situation. i had buttock pain (and eventually posterior thigh/calf pain) following deadlifts. buttock, back of thigh, and calf pain are on the track for l5 s1 herniation.

    i read alot online about piriformis syndrome and thought that's what i had for a while...but eventually got an MRI and it did turn out to be herniated disc at l5 s1 for my case.

    despite my personal bias in this...if it is a herniated disc, it can get worse so i would personally want to rule that out first before doing any more heavy squats and DL's.

    in any case, good luck with it OP.
    Well it now hurts to sit. So I am working today on my exercise ball because sitting on my chair hurts too much. The pain is getting worst and I am not one to just take a bunch of time off from training, I hate how I feel when I do not work out yet working out is making it hurt so bad. but then again so does sitting on my ass!! lol.. aghhh getting old sucks!!!!!!!!!
    Learned to deal with my tendonitis and carpal tunnel but this one is really ticking me off!!!
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Banned Kodokan's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 37
    Stats: 5'11", 225 lbs
    Posts: 2,996
    Rep Power: 0
    Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Kodokan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Kodokan's BodySpace
    Kodokan is offline
    Originally Posted by morenasurfs View Post
    Well it now hurts to sit. So I am working today on my exercise ball because sitting on my chair hurts too much. The pain is getting worst and I am not one to just take a bunch of time off from training, I hate how I feel when I do not work out yet working out is making it hurt so bad. but then again so does sitting on my ass!! lol.. aghhh getting old sucks!!!!!!!!!
    Learned to deal with my tendonitis and carpal tunnel but this one is really ticking me off!!!
    sitting for extended periods and first thing in the morning were the worst for me with the herniated disc...if that's what you have you probably need to make some changes until it gets better, or it will get even worse.

    the quicker you actually start rehab, the quicker you may be finished...so my advice is to get checked out and not let months go by where you could be healing a possible long-healing injury.
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Upper leg pain when raising legs and doing squats
    By Crazy_Desi in forum Exercises
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 07:39 AM
  2. Deep Pain in my Leg
    By Fischer__35 in forum Injury Recovery And Prevention
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 07:30 PM
  3. Pain in my knee and lower leg when walking
    By ColtsForTheWin in forum Teen Bodybuilding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 06:10 PM
  4. Leg/Glute work and HGH
    By FitnessFlyboy in forum Workout Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 12:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout