santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Squatting and adding weight (SS routine)

Alright so I'm on to the middle of week two of the starting strength routine and everything feels good and super motivated and pumped to hit the gym and all that good stuff. My weights go up accordingly each work out, but I've reached a dilemma about the squat.

I started squatting at 135 and doing it comfortably with decent form. I have been adding 10 lbs to the next work out, but on Friday I struggled with the last set (knees slightly shaking) and on the last rep really had to push to get back up. I also went a lot deeper with these sets then previously as I had been studying up on proper form.. this weight was at 155. I weigh 150 and am 5'11" if that matters.

Safety and injury prevention are definitely what I want to achieve and not be stupid and over do it, so should I increase the originally intended 10 lbs to 165 and just push myself even harder or stick to the same weight so it gets comfortable or just decrease the weight and perfect my form. Everything is progressing nicely otherwise and lifting a lot more than I thought I could.

Thanks for the help in advance.

EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i think u should do with weights u can do right until u get stronger and when u get more strength then do more..

Avi is over a year old 68JavelinSST's Avatar
    68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by santii View Post
    Alright so I'm on to the middle of week two of the starting strength routine and everything feels good and super motivated and pumped to hit the gym and all that good stuff. My weights go up accordingly each work out, but I've reached a dilemma about the squat.

I started squatting at 135 and doing it comfortably with decent form. I have been adding 10 lbs to the next work out, but on Friday I struggled with the last set (knees slightly shaking) and on the last rep really had to push to get back up. I also went a lot deeper with these sets then previously as I had been studying up on proper form.. this weight was at 155. I weigh 150 and am 5'11" if that matters.

Safety and injury prevention are definitely what I want to achieve and not be stupid and over do it, so should I increase the originally intended 10 lbs to 165 and just push myself even harder or stick to the same weight so it gets comfortable or just decrease the weight and perfect my form. Everything is progressing nicely otherwise and lifting a lot more than I thought I could.

Get a spotter and go for 165. Don't squat to near failure without a spotter, that's just silly.

phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000) phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000) phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000) phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000) phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000) phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000) phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000) phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000) phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000) phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000) phillyfreak7 is a name known to all. (+5000)

If I were you, it would be best to go up 5 pounds each time you want to move up in weight. That way, you'll be able to handle the change better than if the increase were any bigger.

Very good for 12 years old, keep it up. Just keep practicing with good form and be PATIENT. You WILL get stronger.

I wish I started lifting at 12.
    355 Bench
    565 Dead
    520 Parallel Box Squat

Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hipposquatamus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    does your squat rack have safety pins? use em.

does your gym have people? ask them to spot you
    Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

Avi is over a year old 68JavelinSST's Avatar
    68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50) 68JavelinSST will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by phillyfreak7 View Post
    If I were you, it would be best to go up 5 pounds each time you want to move up in weight. That way, you'll be able to handle the change better than if the increase were any bigger.

Very good for 12 years old, keep it up. Just keep practicing with good form and be PATIENT. You WILL get stronger.

I wish I started lifting at 12.
    He has 12 posts, doesn't say his age.

Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.city has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think your main problem is that you weigh 155 lbs.

santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10) santii is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 68JavelinSST View Post
    He has 12 posts, doesn't say his age.
    Haha, I was wondering where the 12 years old part came into play, but that makes sense. I'm 20 btw.

I was thinking maybe I should start using 5 lb increment increases, but I was just trying to follow Rippetoes exact guidelines so not sure how to go about that.

There are spotters I could utilize, if there aren't though (depending on time of day) would the hammer strength support bar things suffice? The things to catch the bar if you can't drive back up.

I'm kind of thinking that I should just swallow my pride and decrease back to 135 and just work on form. Because that's my main concern now since I've figured the proper place.ment and stances and work from there. After all it is only my second week

Originally Posted by Mr.city View Post
    I think your main problem is that you weigh 155 lbs.
    I actually weigh 150. 155 was the weight I was squatting, but I'm working on upping my caloric intake. I've never had an interest in getting bigger 'til now so I've been eating like mad (clean as possible) and getting my protein intake up, as well.

SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In my opinion, only when the weight you are doing becomes relatively easier to do, should you increase the weight. When you can do all of your reps without failure or being extremely close to failure, you should increase the weight. You want to push yourself, but without a spotter you could end up doing more harm than good - though safety pins come in handy, or a power rack.

Originally Posted by SeanP35 View Post
    In my opinion, only when the weight you are doing becomes relatively easier to do, should you increase the weight. When you can do all of your reps without failure or being extremely close to failure, you should increase the weight. You want to push yourself, but without a spotter you could end up doing more harm than good - though safety pins come in handy, or a power rack.
    That's the general consensus I've been getting, but Mark Rippetoe states that as a beginner you're able to push yourself further with the newbie strength gains.

I think I'm just going to decrease back to 135 or 145 and get my form better before trying to move on to heavier weight.

I know deadlifts and squats work similar or same muscle groups, so if my deadlift is able to jump up 15 lbs each work out (will be 190 tomorrow) should the squat go up as well, or should I just decrease the squat and not the deadlift or decrease both?

CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You should be able to move up by ten pounds. 165 may be heavy for you, but it's still relatively light. I was on 10 lb increments from 185-265. (started out on 185)

Make sure your form is correct, safety first! Make sure that you're using your hip drive. I'm on SS, and I got pissed that I couldn't reach 275 last week. Then I remembered that I forgot to use my ass on the way up, so all the work was left for the quads. 275 was ****ing lightweight when I used my hips.

You shouldn't need to deload unless you stalled. You definitely haven't stalled yet. I'm betting that it's just mostly a form issue.

The differences in his squat can seem subtle at first, but study it. You can see in his later reps that he uses more ass, as opposed to quads.
    "Complexity for complexity's sake is dumb. Slow progress when fast is available is very poor decision making. Training indirectly with elaborate assistance exercises to raise your back squat is foolish if you can walk in the gym and add weight to your back squat."
    -Madcow

kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dont be afraid to push yourself. do you think people squatting 400 is easy for them? no, its still a **** load of weigh to be under, there just pushing themselves.

get a spotter and push yourself.

at these weights you shouldnt be having problems (no offense)

kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CharlieYo View Post
    You should be able to move up by ten pounds. 165 may be heavy for you, but it's still relatively light. I was on 10 lb increments from 185-265. (started out on 185)
    this.

ive been moving up 10 lbs from 155 to 275 saturday.

Originally Posted by CharlieYo View Post

Make sure your form is correct, safety first! Make sure that you're using your hip drive. I'm on SS, and I got pissed that I couldn't reach 275 last week. Then I remembered that I forgot to use my ass on the way up, so all the work was left for the quads. 275 was ****ing lightweight when I used my hips.

You shouldn't need to deload unless you stalled. You definitely haven't stalled yet. I'm betting that it's just mostly a form issue.

The differences in his squat can seem subtle at first, but study it. You can see in his later reps that he uses more ass, as opposed to quads.
    Lol that's actually the video I watched when I corrected my form!
    That's the difference now, is I'm using the hip drive so it felt different than how I was using my chest more.

I want to push myself more and definitely don't want to backtrack, I just don't want my form to suffer as the heavy loads increase.

No offense taken, I'm starting out so all criticism is healthy criticism.

at 155 it was seemingly heavier and by no means easy for me and on the last set, my form wasn't the best and nearly couldn't get it back up on the last rep.

I'm just hoping I didn't start out too heavy to begin with at week 1.

I have a buddy coming tomorrow to workout and spot with me so I'll give it a go.

for me the weights felt hard since about 205, lol. this whole time the last rep, i wasnt sure if id get it, yet ive kept adding on the weight.

Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
    for me the weights felt hard since about 205, lol. this whole time the last rep, i wasnt sure if id get it, yet ive kept adding on the weight.
    Alright lol that makes me feel better about it.

165 it is tomorrow then!

Alright lol that makes me feel better about it.

165 it is tomorrow then!
    good luck