mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mynemaborat is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

squatting stance

what is the difference between spreading your feet wide apart while squatting (wide stance), or keeping only a narrow gap between ur feet (narrow stance). i think i read somewhere that you're meant to use a wide stance? the reason i ask is because at my gym i have to do squats on this squat machine thing, and there isnt enough room to allow me to spread my feet. i have to keep my feet pretty much at the same distance as shoulder width.
    now in my experience doing this, i have found that it is much harder to squat with a narrow stance, u really feel it more in ur quads, so i'm thinking that it takes some of the weight off your glutes or lower back and puts it all on ur quads... does anyone know what i'm talking about? is it ok to use a narrow stance?

Gotta get bigger spitfiredealer's Avatar
    spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10) spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10) spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10) spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10) spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10) spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10) spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10) spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10) spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10) spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10) spitfiredealer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try the search function.
    But to answer you question narrow stance will hit the outer quad where a wide will place more stress on inner and hamstring and glutes.
    "Great and good are seldom the same man."

nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by spitfiredealer View Post
    Try the search function.
    But to answer you question narrow stance will hit the outer quad where a wide will place more stress on inner and hamstring and glutes.
    This^^

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I heard the wide stance is for powerlifters using squat suits. Rippetoe advocates a shoulder width stance for raw lifters. Just don't let your knees drift inwards - imagine there is a bar seperating them

Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Starting Strength, 2nd Edition, page 13:

"We will use a fairly neutral foot placement, with the heels about shoulder width apart, the toes pointed out at about 30 degrees. Excessive width tightens the hips at the bottom, and excessive narrowness prevents adductor stretch and causes the quads to jam against the belly in heavier trainees, both of which prevents proper depth. Many people use too narrow a stance, so make sure you're wide enough to permit a good position at the bottom."

If you're forced to use a narrower stance, it's not going to kill you, but get as wide as you can (without being too wide, which shouldn't be a problem seeing as how you had to ask this in the first place) and shove those knees out!

Getting my Durantula on FryDude's Avatar
    FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I do it wide it kills my hips.
    Toronto is Bake crew
    Raptors-Jays-Leafs-Bills. Best 2/10 sport teams crew.
    Herniated Dick crew
    Mike Tyson admirer crew
    Homeboy Leroy crew