LanTHEman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

TOO much time in the GYM

Hey Guys, Whats Up? I have been lifting for years, but seriously for about 16 months now. I have been doing this routine for the last six months. I am a little worried about overtraining. Also my strength gains have not been great, but I have gained alot of size.

I do 3 sets for all lifts increasing in weight and lowering reps (12-8-6) if i can do more than 6 on the final set i will go to failure. I average 4-6 lifts per muscle group.

Day 1 Chest,Back

Chest
    Flat bench
    Incline Bench
    Decline dumbell presses
    incline dumbell flys
    decline dumbbell flys
    cable crossovers and or Pec deck machine

Back
    wide grip pull downs
    bent over barbell rows
    seated row
    stiff legged dumbell deadlift

Day 2 Bi,Tri

Biceps
    standing heavy ez-bar curls
    standing heavy dumbell curls
    seated hammer preacher dumbell curls
    standing hammer curls
    reverse cable curls
    concentration curls

Triceps
    overhead one arm dumbell extensions
    skull crushers
    cable push downs
    cable rope pushdowns
    reverse grip cable push downs
    behind the head cable tricep extensions

Day 3 Delts,Traps,Legs

Delts
    seated military presses
    seated arnold presses
    standing dumbell raises
    standing lateral dumbell raises
    seated rear delt pull

Traps
    heavy Barbell Shrugs
    heavy Dumbell shrugs
    forward/backward shrug rolls
    cable flat bar pull ups(to chin)

Legs
    heavy squats
    leg extensions
    hamstring extensions
    calf raises
    calf machine
    hack squats

Day 4 OFF

I do 3 on 1 off. It takes me near 2 hours to finish my routine, resting about 45sec-min between sets. I have no problem spending 10 plus hours in the gym. I am happy and content when in the gym. Any thoughts or suggestions would be of great help, thanks guys.....
    "Power doesn't corrupt people, people corrupt power."

"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong."

210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 210Beast has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Generally workouts should last around 45 minutes - 1 hour, anything over is usually considered overtraining.
    -210Beast

Shutup and lift...bitches Wheelies's Avatar
    Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Big weights=big muscles and strength. Like you said, you put on some size by pyramiding, but using 12 reps isnt gonna help strength. And by the looks of it you are over training like a mofo. You dont need to do 6 things for chest . When I first started lifting, I always did 4 sets of 4 different exercises for every body part, I made gains, but once I trained for a while, my body stopped reacting because I was overtraining. The only thing it didnt look like you are overtraining too much is back, but everything else is way too many things. I try not to be in the gym for over an hour, but I also go 5 days a week. If you decrease the number of exercises to a good 3 per bodypart, and no more than 3 sets per exercise(sometimes I do 3 for first, 2 for second and 1 for last), and do 4-6 reps, that will be the perfect combo for strenght and size gains, if all you want is strength, become a powerlifter, which a whole nother ball game. Oh yeah, you have to go to as close to complete failure as possible, so you will definitly need a spotter on chest days. So no more sissy 10-12 reps , ok.
    Last edited by Wheelies; 04-29-2003 at 09:48 AM.

LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    why are people so intent on using 423 different exercises per bodypart? there is no need..

pick one or two and stick with them.. and no dont choose tricep kickbacks or leg extensions.. pick compound exercises and real mass gainers..

nhmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: TOO much time in the GYM

Originally posted by LanTHEman
    Hey Guys, Whats Up? I have been lifting for years, but seriously for about 16 months now. I have been doing this routine for the last six months. I am a little worried about overtraining. Also my strength gains have not been great, but I have gained alot of size.

Your routine is geared far more for size than for strength. For strength, you don't want to do nearly as many sets per muscle group (for your chest workout you're doing 18 sets!!! Yikes!), and don't pyramid up. Do your warmups, and then go to your heaviest sets.

The workout you're doing right now (with lots of sets, short rest periods, etc. - but I'd say remove about half the exercises you're doing - pick maybe two major exercises for each muscle, and do a total of 8-12 sets) would be fine to do every now and then for a few weeks to overtrain your body intentionally, but you should then switch to a workout with considerably less volume (perhaps 6-8 sets per muscle group) for a few weeks, with longer rest periods between sets (perhaps 3-4 minutes). The longer rest will let your muscles rebuild their stores of ATP, so you can keep lifting heavy.

Also, don't do arms the day after doing back/chest. Actually, also don't do back/chest together. Your back is a huge muscle group. Focus on it (and its assistance muscles) in a workout, don't throw it in with an opposing muscle.

I do 3 sets for all lifts increasing in weight and lowering reps (12-8-6) if i can do more than 6 on the final set i will go to failure. I average 4-6 lifts per muscle group. Your legs deserve their own day too.

LanTHEman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the input
    "Power doesn't corrupt people, people corrupt power."

"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong."

kixazz2529 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    in doing bench would doing set of 10-8-6-4-2(ad then one on max days) be ok or is that overtraing?
    the rest of the stuff i would be doing on that dat would consist of only 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps

Vendetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by LakeMountD
    and no dont choose tricep kickbacks
    What is wrong with tricep kickbacks? They have helped my triceps like crazy. I still do pushdowns but you can actually feel your tricep tearing with kickbacks... what are you talking about?

Shutup and lift...bitches Wheelies's Avatar
    Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For one , tricep kickbacks are a single limb movement, which means exerting all of you energy into one arm and cheating the other arm out of a quality set. For two, tricep kickbacks are hard to go heavy on, so you arent overloading your muscle. Try lying tricep extensions, kind of like skull crushers but you bring the weight back behind/above, your ahead. Pretty much the only single limb movement I still do are bent over dumbell rows.

Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lifting4swole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should eliminate you arm day, just throw in one isolation for your biceps and triceps on back and chest day and they will be worked plenty, after all it's all about compound movements right?

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    +2 to necromancy
    The floundering has ended.