Qwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Qwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Reverse Dieting and Macros

Hi all, so I'm coming back off of an unhealthy cut where I was eating only 1400-1800 cals daily and not counting macros. I'm reverse dieting by adding ~100 calories a week until maintenance is reached, then cutting again.

My question is about my macros. I've read conflicting things, and these numbers seem generally on high side. I'm 180 lbs at 6 foot 3.

Protein: 1g per lb of total mass = 180g daily

Fats: 0.4g per lb of total mass = 72g daily

Remainder: split over p/f/c fibre, nutrient rich foods etc.

I've been trying to hit these numbers recently but it seems impossible on my calorie intake. Was I really that under-nourished or are these numbers somehow calculated wrong?

Qwin

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    those macro numbers are just fine
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50) SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50) SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50) SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50) SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50) SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50) SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50) SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50) SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50) SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50) SayMilesAway will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I guess op is saying he can't hit his macros with his ultra low calorie intake.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SayMilesAway View Post
    I guess op is saying he can't hit his macros with his ultra low calorie intake.
    ahhh ya. op if you cant meet your macro minimums then your cals are waaay to low
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

CMJD103012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    go by percentages of total calories. Recommended daily amounts are about 30% protein on the high end, 45-65% on carbs, and 20-35 percent on fats. I generally go a little higher on the protein.. and a little lower on the carbs if I'm cutting, and remember to eat the complex carbohydrates. Making a diet after you know your calorie goal is much easier if you go by macro percentages, for me anyway.

Originally Posted by CMJD103012 View Post
    go by percentages of total calories. Recommended daily amounts are about 30% protein on the high end, 45-65% on carbs, and 20-35 percent on fats. I generally go a little higher on the protein.. and a little lower on the carbs if I'm cutting, and remember to eat the complex carbohydrates. Making a diet after you know your calorie goal is much easier if you go by macro percentages, for me anyway.
    please disregard this nonsense^^^
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    please disregard this nonsense^^^
    Okay, so you don't agree, but why is it nonsense

Okay, so you don't agree, but why is it nonsense
    your body dosen't care what % of a macronutrient it gets your body runs off of sufficient quantities per mass
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

your body dosen't care what % of a macronutrient it gets your body runs off of sufficient quantities per mass
    I wasn't saying that 20-35% of the food you eat should be fat, or 30% should be protein, or 45-65% of food should be protein. I was saying PERCENTAGE of CALORIES. I eat about 3500 calories per day, 30% of 3500 is 1050 calories. Divide that by 4 calories per gram of protein, and you get 262 grams of protein per day. At 180 pounds, that is in the ballpark of 1.5g protein/lb of body weight, which is about what I look for when bulking. I use the g/lb ratios as a guideline and to check my amounts, but when aiming for a calorie goal, aiming for calorie percentages tends to work for me. I choose my calorie goal BASED ON MASS, then assign my appropriate percentages of macros. Maybe we're on two different pages, but dietary guidelines with numerous studies behind them for many different diets aim for macro percentages with a calorie goal in mind.. This is how I decide how to eat my foods. All I was suggesting to the OP is to pick the calories he wants, designate the percentage that is appropriate to get the grams, because hitting his calorie goal was proving to be an obstacle.
    You have a different school of thought, okay, but you don't have to call mine nonsense.. Sorry if I offended you!
    Last edited by CMJD103012; 08-20-2013 at 06:54 PM.

that is exactly what i am talking about. say a 200lb person is cutting on 2000 cals and uses a 20/40/40 split his fats would be severely low
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

that is exactly what i am talking about. say a 200lb person is cutting on 2000 cals and uses a 20/40/40 split his fats would be severely low
    Based on 200 lbs, 2000 calories for someone who I'm assuming has a very active life style would be an extreme calorie deficit, would it not? I know this formula is an approximation, but figuring out basal metabolism, calories from exercise/activity, plus dietary thermogenesis
    For a male: 200lbs x 11= 2200 calories basal metabolism, x 75 percent for very active (intense workouts, active life style, other daily activities etc..) = 1650. 2200 plus 1650 3850, x.10 for dietary thermogenesis equals 385, plus 3850 is 4235 calories for your baseline calorie needs. Assuming that high cardio is involved, weight training, not lazy sitting on the couch, a very active individual. If not as active, you can use 50 percent instead of 75, but still, thats a lot of calories to cut when that individual would eat only 2000. That is why the fat grams would be low for the individual, too much calories cut down, the calories have to come from somewhere!
    I've taken nutrition classes in college, and done a lot of reading on my own. I'm by NO MEANS and expert on nutrition and have a lot to learn still, but I have a decent grasp on it and I don't see how what I'm saying is nonsense. Maybe we don't agree on our philosophies, but I don't think we are far enough apart to be called nonsense. Not tryin to be over sensitive lol but c'mon!

the above was just an example. it could be a sedentary person and therefore not an extreme deficit. my point is that you should not use ratios to calculate macros as they usually underestimate fat and over estimate protein needs
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    And what if you are bulking and have a high caloric intake? You will be severely over eating protein. Percentages may generally work, but they don't always. There is no reason to use percentages when you can use whole numbers.

So then perhaps adjust the percentage? The percentages are recommended in ranges, and broad ranges at that, for a reason, no? This is why I keep both factors in mind, the percentages that I am aiming for along with calorie goal, and double checking that I am ballpark with my g/lb ratios, depending on the lifestyle of the person and goals, protein I have been taught should range anywhere from .5g/lb to 1 or even 1.5g/lb (any more your body will probably not be able to utilize), fats usually about .5g/lb,and carbs generally start at 2g/lb, but fluctuate based on goals/lifestyle. I don't ignore those numbers, they are good to refer to, but in the end, gaining weight or losing weight requires calorie surplus or deficit, and by marking that calorie goal, (appropriate calorie goal) and using your percentage guidelines, you'll generally end up within range for your g/lb anyway. It helps me double check, but in the end I have found percentages work for me and make life easy when designing a diet for ones self.
    Or..agree to disagree? lol I don't think we are far off from each other on thought process, just coming from slightly different angles. But again, I just didn't take well to having my comment called nonsense, I have taken numerous classes and studied endless hours about this kind of stuff, and have a decent grasp on it, and obviously so do you, we just come from different angles I think to end up at the same result...

Originally Posted by Lvisaa2 View Post
    And what if you are bulking and have a high caloric intake? You will be severely over eating protein. Percentages may generally work, but they don't always. There is no reason to use percentages when you can use whole numbers.
    I weigh 180 lbs, and have found that to add weight need about 4000 calories to gain weight. If I use 1g protein/lb, .5g fat/lb, and 3g carbs/lb, I still only get to about 3600 calories. I don't know what you delegate to carbs for g/lb since it is so fluctuating for everyone and their needs, but ultimately reaching calorie goals is where I find using percentages helps. I ultimately reach my calorie goal, and after I choose my percentage if it doesn't line up with the g/lb ratio I can always change. Why negate one school of thought for another, when you can instead keep both in mind and work them together to find what's appropriate? I don't know maybe I'm wrong. Sorry. lol

I weigh 180 lbs, and have found that to add weight need about 4000 calories to gain weight. If I use 1g protein/lb, .5g fat/lb, and 3g carbs/lb, I still only get to about 3600 calories. I don't know what you delegate to carbs for g/lb since it is so fluctuating for everyone and their needs, but ultimately reaching calorie goals is where I find using percentages helps. I ultimately reach my calorie goal, and after I choose my percentage if it doesn't line up with the g/lb ratio I can always change. Why negate one school of thought for another, when you can instead keep both in mind and work them together to find what's appropriate? I don't know maybe I'm wrong. Sorry. lol
    carbs are non essential. once you meet protein/fat minimums the remainder of cals is your DCA
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are wrong. You meet the minimum requirement of protein/fat then fill in the remaining calories however you choose.

And I negate one school of thought if it proves to be unreliable in certain situations. Using percentages turns out not to work in some cases, therefore I disregard it. That's not being close minded, that is being logical.
    Last edited by Lvisaa2; 08-21-2013 at 02:42 PM.

lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lethstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your macros are your minimum to maintain your performance and build muscle. Once you reach them, you eat what you want to get to your calorie threshold.

I am your weight and i hit your macros easily at 1800 calories while cutting (though I dont hit the carbs. My carbs are whats left after hitting protein and fat req's)
    Team Kelei