fretful has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight lifting to improve basketball quickness?

Hey guys. Whats the best way to weight lift/exercises to increase me leg peed to increase my basketball skills and quickness? I run pretty consistent, but dont usually have the time to lift and run on same day. Also, how long should i stretch after workout?

Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old_Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fretful View Post
    Hey guys. Whats the best way to weight lift/exercises to increase me leg peed to increase my basketball skills and quickness? I run pretty consistent, but dont usually have the time to lift and run on same day. Also, how long should i stretch after workout?
    Any basic lower body routine is a good place to start for developing increased leg strength for quickness and vertical leap.

Your running is good for building stamina, but you need to develop overall strength (not just lower body) to take your game to next levels. You can cut back on your running to concentrate on strength development; especially if you play ball regularly in which you'll get your cardio workout.

Strong thighs and core are essential if you play down on the post and need to use your body to get postion on offense or to keep your opponent from getting his on defense. Strong calves can give you that explosive power off the step.

Combined your quickness at the sprint and the leap will improve.

The key exercise is Squats. Properly performed, squats are best at developing leg strength. Then I would focus on developing calf strength. Standing and seated calf raises.

For these exercises, begin a routine where you're doing 4 sets of 8-10 reps. Once you are confident and comfortable with your progress adjust your workouts time to time where you'll increase weight for more sets of lower reps.

All the other leg exercises and machines are nice, so throw some in if you wish. (Leg extensions and curls, lunges, etc) .

Also tie in plyometrics such as box jumps. You'll be surprised how they can help to.

Good luck.
    36 years old
    6' 4''
    250 lbs