Thread: Golf.

buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100)

Golf.

the bulking has come to and end, deload next week, a week of straight cardio than back on the choochoo to cut
    im looking for a workout program thats going to increase flexibility and be geared towards golf
    over the past year iv made some big gains which have had negative effects on my swing, and not so much my game thank god. im restricted to a less that 3/4 swing due to lack of flexibility and the increased muscle mass.
    im a 4 handicap but would like to be able to get parallel at the top again
    anyone have any types of workouts that are geared towards golf and flexibility?
    heres on i found quickly
    http://exercise.about.com/library/blgolfworkout.htm
    Last edited by buykrux; 01-13-2010 at 08:12 PM.

SPJ0688 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SPJ0688 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SPJ0688 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SPJ0688 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im a pretty avid golfer myself and also struggle with the same problem. Last winter I "re-built" my golf swing and last year was the best year of golf I ever had. But I do struggle like you do with not getting to parallel at the top. The truth is, you dont need to get to parallel in order to have a consistent, powerful golf swing. Towards the end of the season last year, I became mind trapped on that thought 'oh I need to get to parallel' when in reality you dont need to. My backswing is probably about 80-90% to being a full backswing and I was hitting the ball crisp and far. Beings your a 4hdcp I assume you already know this. There's many different things in the golf swing since it so mechanical that can effect the golf ball and parallel would be the least of the concerns. As far as flexibility goes, stretching is the only thing I could see helping flexibility, especially core stretch excersices since the golf swing revolves around the core and hips.

PS. I have studied the golf swing pretty heavily over the past few years, thats how I cam to understand that getting to parallel is not a big deal at all

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd say just stretch and don't worry about getting to parallel too much. I was off between 8-11cap throughout last year. Flexibility is important but IMO nobody is going to just find another 30yds. off the tee with a longer swing. In fact, plenty of guys out there with compact swings that nail it.

My problem has always been way too far past parallel and getting OTT a lot. Really have to concentrate on keeping my lower body quiet and build up some torque. As you know, it's about consistancy, not distance. Just about every single digit can put it out there 240-250 off the tee and that's plenty for anything I play regularly.

buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100) buykrux is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by SPJ0688 View Post
    Im a pretty avid golfer myself and also struggle with the same problem. Last winter I "re-built" my golf swing and last year was the best year of golf I ever had. But I do struggle like you do with not getting to parallel at the top. The truth is, you dont need to get to parallel in order to have a consistent, powerful golf swing. Towards the end of the season last year, I became mind trapped on that thought 'oh I need to get to parallel' when in reality you dont need to. My backswing is probably about 80-90% to being a full backswing and I was hitting the ball crisp and far. Beings your a 4hdcp I assume you already know this. There's many different things in the golf swing since it so mechanical that can effect the golf ball and parallel would be the least of the concerns. As far as flexibility goes, stretching is the only thing I could see helping flexibility, especially core stretch excersices since the golf swing revolves around the core and hips.

PS. I have studied the golf swing pretty heavily over the past few years, thats how I cam to understand that getting to parallel is not a big deal at all
    i havent lost any distance due to the fact off the tee, iv actually played better since the lack of backswing
    the problem now lies is that the power in my swing comes from my upper body and a hard drive rather than a nice fluid motion and a powerful hip turn
    id like to get atleast some mobility back
    ill check out some stretchs, thanks

willy0314 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willy0314 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willy0314 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willy0314 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Loss of flexibility isn't from gaining muscle mass, its from not stretching.

Work on improving your flexibility. Take a yoga class maybe.
    We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - Winston Churchill

My Madcow SF 5x5 Log:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=422400371#post422400371

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    also check you ROM when you left. especially during core and shoulder work. your numbers wont be as high but youll be stretching while lifting. although this is no substitute for a good stretch after training.

Originally Posted by willy0314 View Post
    Loss of flexibility isn't from gaining muscle mass, its from not stretching.

Work on improving your flexibility. Take a yoga class maybe.
    correct. i said its a combination of both
    the big thing is to keep an inside swing plane when wanting to hook or draw is where i see the biggest issue
    severly limited in motion, it feels as if my lat and bicep in my left side (left handed) prevent me from moving how id like to
    im going to do some flexibility exercises while starting the cut
    thanks

also, i do have the p90x set and the xstretch seems to be a great program
    i may start doing that on my off days

101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You'll want to focus on the following aspects for golf

Thoracic mobility - ike Boyle has some good drills that address this on youtube

anti-rotation core strength - Eric Cressy has some good stuff for this. The concept is that you shouldn;t rotate through your lower back because the low back is not built for rotation. So you need to expose the "core" to rotational forces but use the core to stabilize the pelvis and low back and prevent rotation. If you rotate through the lower back then the force created in the legs is dissipated and will not get to the club. A great anti rotation exercise is planks where you lift up 1 arm, then the other, then 1 leg, then the other while keeping the hips and shoulders square.

Get to your glute- The glues provide the explosive force and extension that deives your swing. They are the engine. So you want your glutes to create powerful force that gets transmitted up the chain.

Hope this helps

Alex
    For more sports training information stop by my website at http://www.evolutionaryathletics.com

Originally Posted by 101pro View Post
    You'll want to focus on the following aspects for golf

Thoracic mobility - ike Boyle has some good drills that address this on youtube

anti-rotation core strength - Eric Cressy has some good stuff for this. The concept is that you shouldn;t rotate through your lower back because the low back is not built for rotation. So you need to expose the "core" to rotational forces but use the core to stabilize the pelvis and low back and prevent rotation. If you rotate through the lower back then the force created in the legs is dissipated and will not get to the club. A great anti rotation exercise is planks where you lift up 1 arm, then the other, then 1 leg, then the other while keeping the hips and shoulders square.

Get to your glute- The glues provide the explosive force and extension that deives your swing. They are the engine. So you want your glutes to create powerful force that gets transmitted up the chain.

Hope this helps

Alex
    thanks for the advice alex

just got back from a launch monitor today, my average swing speed has went from 111mph in June 08 to 98mph as of today according to the LM, which isnt really the best method but its all that is available
    as you can see thats 13mph less
    its been proven that if you have the optimal launch angle and assuming you have good mechanics and tempo, a higher ball speed = further distance
    thats a difference of 19mph and i think for every 3 mph is 1 yard, so a loss of 7 yards or so. this may seem insignificant but if you golf, you can appreciate 7 yards. in the June i hit the LD in a tournament to 336 GPS'd so i havent really lost any distance that i have noticed
    ill try to keep this thread alive with which exercises im doing and how it is working
    next week is a deload week then the week after i start a cut, 3 days of weights, 5 cardio and im hoping for 3 flexibility
    thanks for all the help

101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    FWIW,

I trained one of the top 20 golf programs in the entire country for the past 2 years. So I have a bit of experience. Plus I am at a small scjhool that doesn;t attract the blue chip recruits. They do it through hard work

Alex
    For more sports training information stop by my website at http://www.evolutionaryathletics.com