Thread: Upper/Lower

Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Upper/Lower

This is good upper/lower workout I've been doing for the last few weeks and seen good results so far.

Mon-upper
    Db row 3x12
    Inc db press 3x8-12
    Chins 3x8
    Dips 3x10-15

Thur-Lower
    Overhead squats 3x10
    Front squats 3x10
    Deadlifts 3x3

good ****

Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Franky_Moon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No comments at all?

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah, do some back squats since they can be loaded heavier. I would make them 3 sets of 5 so you can use heavy ass weight. This will develop strength faster. Just do the back squats on one day and do the ohs and fs on the other. Other than that it looks good and you can always add more work when you need to to make progress .

EDIT: oh ****, I thought you were doing 4 workouts a week. Two workouts a week isn't going to work as well as 3 or 4 with this arrangement. You just don't have a lot of work going here, and this is coming from someone who doesn't use a lot of volume. You could workout MWF and just alternate between the upper and lower workouts, or you could do Monday-upper, tuesday-lower, thursday-upper, friday-lower. If you did the latter, you could also change the exercise selection or the rep range and weights being used for some variety.
    Last edited by zephed56; 01-25-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Originally Posted by zephed56 View Post
    Yeah, do some back squats since they can be loaded heavier. I would make them 3 sets of 5 so you can use heavy ass weight. This will develop strength faster. Just do the back squats on one day and do the ohs and fs on the other. Other than that it looks good and you can always add more work when you need to to make progress .

EDIT: oh ****, I thought you were doing 4 workouts a week. Two workouts a week isn't going to work as well as 3 or 4 with this arrangement. You just don't have a lot of work going here, and this is coming from someone who doesn't use a lot of volume. You could workout MWF and just alternate between the upper and lower workouts, or you could do Monday-upper, tuesday-lower, thursday-upper, friday-lower. If you did the latter, you could also change the exercise selection or the rep range and weights being used for some variety.
    I have no way to do heavy back squats. No rack and no room for a rack. I have to clean the BB and do front squats.

I can do this 3 times/week and may alternate Deads with SLDL if looking at deadlifting again too soon.

Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lunges and step ups are your friend if you can't do squats with decent weight
    "Leave the pump in the bedroom and add some damn weight to the bar" - Dave Tate

"Train for strength, eat to grow and you will get bigger and stronger" - Someone bigger and stronger then me

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Franky_Moon View Post
    This is good upper/lower workout I've been doing for the last few weeks and seen good results so far.

Mon-upper
    Db row 3x12
    Inc db press 3x8-12
    Chins 3x8
    Dips 3x10-15

Thur-Lower
    Overhead squats 3x10
    Front squats 3x10
    Deadlifts 3x3

good ****
    I would start with the front squats then as ohs isn't really a leg movement so much as it is a core stability move. Also do the higher volume stuff after the max effort lifts like a 3x3 deadlift, and maybe add another quad/hip/ab dominant move into your lower day.

Are you doing it like ABA or each twice per week? You could probably stand to make upp a/b/ lower/ab to throw in a wider range of exercises make sure something you might be taking it easy on day a is getting hit harder on day b. For example if you start with a chest/shoulder move on upper a, you start with a back move on day b.

Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    I would start with the front squats then as ohs isn't really a leg movement so much as it is a core stability move. Also do the higher volume stuff after the max effort lifts like a 3x3 deadlift, and maybe add another quad/hip/ab dominant move into your lower day.

Are you doing it like ABA or each twice per week? You could probably stand to make upp a/b/ lower/ab to throw in a wider range of exercises make sure something you might be taking it easy on day a is getting hit harder on day b. For example if you start with a chest/shoulder move on upper a, you start with a back move on day b.
    I use the OHS more of a warm up stretch exercises than anything. It's heavy enough to be hard work, but it seems to force my hip flexors to stretch and allow me to drop low into a squat and avoid my butt rounding inwards. When I get to my front squats I'm set. I like the deads last because I give them everything. I also have to clean the bar for front squats, so i like to be somewhat fresh for that.

I've been doing this as a 2 day split. Upper on Mon and lower on Thursday. I like low volume. It allows me to pound the **** out of each exercise and then rest plenty. I've been growing like **** and still am. I've done well with higher frequency before, and I could probably do upper light/lower heavy, upper heavy/lower light with this nicely....hhmmm. The only is I like the simplicity of just giving it my all each workout. I guess I could just change the reps around?

Upper Light
    Incline press 3x10-12
    DB Row 3x10-12
    Dips 3x10-15
    Chins 3x10

Lower Heavy
    OHS 3x8
    Front squat 3x5
    Deadlift 3x3

Upper Heavy
    Incline press 3x5
    BB 3x5
    Flat bench 3x5
    Pull ups 3x5

Lower Light
    OHS 3x10
    Front squat 3x10
    RDL/Trap bar deadlift 3x10

and try and get 3 workouts in per week just alternating.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Franky_Moon View Post
    I use the OHS more of a warm up stretch exercises than anything. It's heavy enough to be hard work, but it seems to force my hip flexors to stretch and allow me to drop low into a squat and avoid my butt rounding inwards. When I get to my front squats I'm set. I like the deads last because I give them everything. I also have to clean the bar for front squats, so i like to be somewhat fresh for that.

I've been doing this as a 2 day split. Upper on Mon and lower on Thursday. I like low volume. It allows me to pound the **** out of each exercise and then rest plenty. I've been growing like **** and still am. I've done well with higher frequency before, and I could probably do upper light/lower heavy, upper heavy/lower light with this nicely....hhmmm. The only is I like the simplicity of just giving it my all each workout. I guess I could just change the reps around?

Upper Light
    Incline press 3x10-12
    DB Row 3x10-12
    Dips 3x10-15
    Chins 3x10

Lower Heavy
    OHS 3x8
    Front squat 3x5
    Deadlift 3x3

Upper Heavy
    Incline press 3x5
    BB 3x5
    Flat bench 3x5
    Pull ups 3x5

Lower Light
    OHS 3x10
    Front squat 3x10
    RDL/Trap bar deadlift 3x10

and try and get 3 workouts in per week just alternating.
    Well if it aint broke dont fix it. The deadlift thing though, if you are getting any sort of work from the front squats you aren't really giving the deads your all, just whatever you have left.

Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    Well if it aint broke dont fix it. The deadlift thing though, if you are getting any sort of work from the front squats you aren't really giving the deads your all, just whatever you have left.
    Hhmm I guess I do hold back some on the front squats so I can deadlift. I wondered about doing both deads and squats on the same day. I like the upper/lower thing though because if I have to increase frequency I can do one workout the day after another one. I can't do that with a fullbody as I need a day of rest in between. The way my schedule works out is if I am to do 3 workouts in one week, two of them will have to be back to back.

I guess deadlifting first will fix this problem?