thebachellor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Beginning to work out... couple of questions you guys

I've been wanting to improve my physique for as long as I can remember, but simply haven't had enough of a drive, time, or resources in order for me to take it seriously. Now, however, I've finally reached the point where I feel I can put 100% in to improving my body; I feel I've done enough research and planning, however I have a couple of final questions before I take the plunge.

Here are my stats:

Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 160 (maybe minus 1-2 pounds)
    Body type: Ectomorph (but closer to a Mesomorph than a true Ectomorph)

My goal weight is about 175-180. I don't really have a time frame to accomplish this by (but obviously, the sooner the better). If I were to set a window for myself it would be 6 months from when I start working out, which I think is more than generous enough to not only get the weight that I desire, but also relatively good definition as well. Here are just some final questions I have before I embark on my journey:

1. Is it necessary for me to take supplements in order to get to my desired weight? To gain weight one must consume more calories than one burns of course, however i've seen my roommate go from relatively scrawny, to gaining a noticeable amount of mass from just working out without supplements/a change in diet. There must be something i'm missing; since he's increasing the amount of calories he burns (let's say on a weekly basis), he should be actually losing mass, not gaining it. What's going on here?

2. Will cardio negate the gains made by lifting (that I would have to rectify with an increased diet/supplementation)? I want to get healthier as well as stronger/fitter. Typically cardio is accompanied by weight loss of some sort, which I obviously do not want... someone mind clearing this up for me?

3. Is my window for my goal too small/large? Do you know anyone with my body type that accomplished a similar goal? How long did it take them?

4. Gloves in the gym: yay or nay?

That's about all I have for now.... I feel like i'm forgetting to ask some things however if I remember them i'll be sure to ask.

Thanks.

colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colinosmar123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thebachellor View Post
    1. Is it necessary for me to take supplements in order to get to my desired weight? To gain weight one must consume more calories than one burns of course, however i've seen my roommate go from relatively scrawny, to gaining a noticeable amount of mass from just working out without supplements/a change in diet. There must be something i'm missing; since he's increasing the amount of calories he burns (let's say on a weekly basis), he should be actually losing mass, not gaining it. What's going on here?

2. Will cardio negate the gains made by lifting (that I would have to rectify with an increased diet/supplementation)? I want to get healthier as well as stronger/fitter. Typically cardio is accompanied by weight loss of some sort, which I obviously do not want... someone mind clearing this up for me?

3. Is my window for my goal too small/large? Do you know anyone with my body type that accomplished a similar goal? How long did it take them?

supplements not necessary. good attitude to approach it with, most people who are new want to go way overboard with supplements, use them as a crutch for not lifting as hard and blow through a lot of money that couldve been better spent on food. there are many beneficial supplements so if you are interested down the road check into some of the basics like protein, fish oil, multi vitamins, creatine etc.

cardio will not negate the gains, but will require an additional intake of calories to offset. unless your cardio is necessary for conditioning (if your on a team or work a job that requires it) try and keep it minimal.

gloves = no. rough hands show you do something alpha. for a more pragmatic reason gloves thicken the surface area you need to grip, increasing the difficulty of the lift unnecessarily.

as to your goal its all gonna depend. 15-20 lbs in six months should be doable, but itll vary with how much you can stick to your diet/lifting.

good luck, im sure many more will chime in with advice.

jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by thebachellor View Post

Thanks.
    if you are trying to gain 15 to 20 pounds in 6 month, that is a about 2.5 to 3 pounds a month, which is not a bad goal at all.

as for gloves in the gym, some of the bars are older and can tear up your calluses pretty good, but itas your call. however most people on here will probably say you are a tool for wearing them in the gym
    reps for life
    slowbus

rep back 400+

jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    also im guessing you are just starting out so look up the 5x5 routine or rippetoes
    reps for life
    slowbus

rep back 400+