Thread: Avocado Recipes

SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Avocado Recipes

We snatched a bag of avocados at Costco this weekend and were trying to think of recipes to use them in. We generally put them in our salads or make guac but that's not too creative. What is your favorite way to prepare avocados?

This recipe looks quite tasty with a little bit of extra spice added: tuna in avocado halves - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Halves-101922
    Like to watch? http://www.footiefinder.com
    Follow our progress in 2012 - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141050081

JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000)
    I like :

Making guac : just avacado, salt, pepper, chili powder, spicy tomatoes or salsa. Use it for topping hamburger patties and chicken breast.

Diced up with beans, rice, and salsa.

Just eat diced up.

My problem is eating one before it goes bad. Once its sliced you have to eat it quick.

This site might have some good ideas : http://www.avocadorecipes.net/

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For me, the simpler, the better for good guacamole. Too many people over-complicate it and put too much stuff like hot sauce in, and it takes away from the delicious avocado.

Smash avocados with potato masher or fork. I like to use red onions because they are sweeter and are perfect for guac. Dice fresh tomatoes. Add lime or lemon juice just to taste - this helps brighten up the flavors and preserves it. Add salt and pepper to taste, and that is it.

If you want to add some things (your choice), a couple tbls of cottage cheese goes well in it. You can also spice it up without compromsing the flavor by adding a couple of dashes of Cayenne pepper.

Best chips to use are fresh bought yellow corn tortillas that you fry at home with peanut oil until crispy. The absolute best!

**Personally, I do not like hot sauce in guacamole. Totally over-powers it and should be on the side, only.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50) SasaAndWendy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JeepCreeper View Post
    I like :

Making guac : just avacado, salt, pepper, chili powder, spicy tomatoes or salsa. Use it for topping hamburger patties and chicken breast.

Diced up with beans, rice, and salsa.

Just eat diced up.

My problem is eating one before it goes bad. Once its sliced you have to eat it quick.

This site might have some good ideas : http://www.avocadorecipes.net/
    Good ideas! I forgot that we put it in pozole as well. That's super yummy. Thanks for the link!

Did you know the trick about leaving the pit in one side (after you cut it in half) so that it stays green? It usually can last another day if you do that.
    Follow our progress in 2012 - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141050081

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    If you want to add some things (your choice), a couple tbls of cottage cheese goes well in it. You can also spice it up without compromsing the flavor by adding a couple of dashes of Cayenne pepper.

Best chips to use are fresh bought yellow corn tortillas that you fry at home with peanut oil until crispy. The absolute best!
    Cottage cheese in guac - really? I would have never thought to try that but it sounds interesting!

We get the corn tortillas, cut them up, and fry them ourselves when we need chips or tortilla strips. You can easily make just a few at a time and they're super yummy when they're fresh with just a bit of kosher salt sprinkled on them!

RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am eating avocado right now!

Doesn't contribute to the thread at all, but ya know....lol

I love avocado in sushi with cucumber, shrimp and crab salad. Mmmm!
    DAYUM!!!

"Be stronger than your vagina"

Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Avacodo goes great in pasta dishes or pasta salads. My guac is basicly avacado, garlic, onion, a good local salsa and a table spoon of low fat sour cream.
    If this were easy, everyone would walk around ripped.

I like eating, it helps with the not dying.

Journal: Back in Black
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120569281

Originally Posted by RebeccaG View Post
    I am eating avocado right now!

Doesn't contribute to the thread at all, but ya know....lol

I love avocado in sushi with cucumber, shrimp and crab salad. Mmmm!
    Mmmmm avocado in sushi is awesome. I'm getting hungry just thinking about that! We may have to make some sushi this evening. Have you had sushi with brown rice? V. yummy.

So are you eating avocado plain or in the aforementioned sushi?

Originally Posted by Echo814 View Post
    Avacodo goes great in pasta dishes or pasta salads. My guac is basicly avacado, garlic, onion, a good local salsa and a table spoon of low fat sour cream.
    What sort of pasta dish were you thinking of?

Your guac recipe sounds delicious!

RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Avacodo goes great in pasta dishes or pasta salads.
    Really?

It doesn't seem like a warm food to me. lol

Originally Posted by SasaAndWendy View Post
    Mmmmm avocado in sushi is awesome. I'm getting hungry just thinking about that! We may have to make some sushi this evening. Have you had sushi with brown rice? V. yummy.

So are you eating avocado plain or in the aforementioned sushi?
    I have not made sushi with brown rice. I haven't seen brown sushi rice in the store - not that I've looked that hard.

I'm eating it mashed with some multi-grain tortilla chips. Leftover from taco salad earlier in the week.
    DAYUM!!!

Really?

I have not made sushi with brown rice. I haven't seen brown sushi rice in the store - not that I've looked that hard.

I'm eating it mashed with some multi-grain tortilla chips. Leftover from taco salad earlier in the week.
    The only warm thing we have avocado in is pozole.

Luckily the whole brown rice thing has caught on in Portland and you can get it in a lot of places. Even our local Safeway has it for takeaway at their sushi bar. That's both a blessing and a curse since we live a block away!

The only warm thing we have avocado in is pozole.

Luckily the whole brown rice thing has caught on in Portland and you can get it in a lot of places. Even our local Safeway has it for takeaway at their sushi bar. That's both a blessing and a curse since we live a block away!
    I had to google pozole. lol

I make my own sushi now. I eat it FAR too much to get takeout every time!
    DAYUM!!!

I had to google pozole. lol

I make my own sushi now. I eat it FAR too much to get takeout every time!
    Pozole is awesome - it's like Phở in that you get to put a bunch of garnishes in it before/while eating it.

Homemade sushi rocks!

JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000)
    Did you know the trick about leaving the pit in one side (after you cut it in half) so that it stays green? It usually can last another day if you do that.
    I have heard that. I also heard that putting the pit in the guac will help it last longer. My problem is I always forget to do it.

Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Really?

I slice it up and put it on after cooking, I had this really awesome angle hair past with olive oil, garlic, red peppers, onions and mushrooms with avocado placed on top so good!
    If this were easy, everyone would walk around ripped.

I like eating, it helps with the not dying.

Journal: Back in Black
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120569281

Pozole is awesome - it's like Phở in that you get to put a bunch of garnishes in it before/while eating it.

Homemade sushi rocks!
    I've never had pho either - but I want to try it.

Have to put pazole on the list now, too.

I slice it up and put it on after cooking, I had this really awesome angle hair past with olive oil, garlic, red peppers, onions and mushrooms with avocado placed on top so good!
    That does sound good!!
    DAYUM!!!

TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000)
    Does anyone else not like the smooth avocados as much as the bumpy ones??!?!
    I will try to be nicer, when you try to be smarter.

I'm the kind of girl who carries her real Glock in her fake Coach...except have a real Coach because I hate faking it.
    Why do you need a side dish? Just eat the meat.
    When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TeresaMalia View Post
    Does anyone else not like the smooth avocados as much as the bumpy ones??!?!
    Lol....the smooth ones creep me out too.

These are my two favorite recipes
    Crab and Shrimp Stuffed Avocados (I just do shrimp)
    http://www.oxygenmag.com/main.php?page=7&id=275

Grilled Chicken w/ Vegetables & Avocado Salsa
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/reci...lick=recipe_sr
    Be, be here, be there, be that, be this
    Be grateful for life, be grateful to life
    Be gleeful everyday, for being the best swimmer among 500,000
    ~It's Your World, POPS

Where's my motivation? xenadrinegirl's Avatar
    xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) xenadrinegirl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I mix my guac with pico de gallo and some jalepenos minus the seeds.

However, I'm afraid of avocados for a while - last one had me in the hospital with a knife through my hand trying to get the darn pit out -- knife just kept on going. Ended up slicing the tendon in my hand and was unable to close it for several weeks. Still have minor nerve damage! be careful!
    Well when you gettin' "got" and somebody done "got" you and you go "get" them, when you get 'em everybody's gon' get got.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    We snatched a bag of avocados at Costco this weekend and were trying to think of recipes to use them in. We generally put them in our salads or make guac but that's not too creative. What is your favorite way to prepare avocados?

This recipe looks quite tasty with a little bit of extra spice added: tuna in avocado halves - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Halves-101922
    Avocado, bacon, tomato and onion sandwiches. With salt, pepper and mayo.

FTW.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Avocado, bacon, tomato and onion sandwiches. With salt, pepper and mayo.

FTW.
    Oh yes. One of our favorite breakfast places makes the best BLTA sandwich I've ever had. I have them add an egg and it's out of this world. I'll have to add some onion next time to see if that's a winner. Their bacon, tomato, avocado benedict is beyond awesome (esp if you get the truffle hollandaise sauce). Now you've made me hungry! We're going to brew beer with friends who live by there this weekend so I think I've found our brunch spot!

Originally Posted by bebeklein View Post
    Lol....the smooth ones creep me out too.

These are my two favorite recipes
    Crab and Shrimp Stuffed Avocados (I just do shrimp)
    http://www.oxygenmag.com/main.php?page=7&id=275

Grilled Chicken w/ Vegetables & Avocado Salsa
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/reci...lick=recipe_sr
    Yum!! We'll have to give those a try. Thanks for the recommendations!

jasonhocky is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OMG. One of our favorite breakfast spots, it's the best BLTA sandwich place I've ever known

ellamacrov is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Does anyone else use the Roast chicken after the gym?