JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should I lose weight before lifting?

Right, i'm starting off in trying to gain muscle and everything is all very new to me.

Although im in a pickle at the moment.

I weigh roughly 10.5 stones. Overall I'd say I was kinda on the slim side However, on my stomach there is quite a bit of fat.. which I've had since I was 11ish ( I'm now 22 ) I never really tried all that much to remove it, but recently I've become fairly conscious of my body and what others might think.

So, I've decided to do something about it.

Firstly, should I be trying to get rid of that stomach fat, and then attempting to slap the muscle on, or does it not matter that much at all?

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You should do some type of resistance training for all muscle groups. Think of the saying "Use it or lose it." that's what happens when you lose mass the wrong way.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    You should do some type of resistance training for all muscle groups. Think of the saying "Use it or lose it." that's what happens when you lose mass the wrong way.
    oh nice. Interesting, never heard of that, anyway you can go a lil bit deeper into it?

ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You should lose weight BY lifting. And lifting heavy compound barbell movements. Just eat less.

Rippetoe's SS: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Weight lifting increases the percentage of weight loss from fat due to reduced loss of muscle mass. People that starve themselves and just do cardio tend to be disappointed with the results because they lose so much muscle as well as fat that their body composition doesn't improve and they just look like a smaller version of their current fat selves. Then you get threads on here about 6'0" 150# men that have potbellies. The problem then isn't that they are overfat but undermuscled.

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ZidaneValor View Post
    You should lose weight BY lifting. And lifting heavy compound barbell movements. Just eat less.

Rippetoe's SS: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Weight lifting increases the percentage of weight loss from fat due to reduced loss of muscle mass. People that starve themselves and just do cardio tend to be disappointed with the results because they lose so much muscle as well as fat that their body composition doesn't improve and they just look like a smaller version of their current fat selves. Then you get threads on here about 6'0" 150# men that have potbellies. The problem then isn't that they are overfat but undermuscled.
    I'd have to say they're over fat for their amount of muscle
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsarju is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Early in 2009 I took a look at myself in some pics from my Vegas trip and said that's enough. I was so disgusted in how much fat I had gained. I started hitting the gym 4-5 times per week doing nothing but cardio. Just using the treadmill and elliptical. I saw a huge reduction in my weight, I went from 210lbs to 180lbs. But I still had quite a bit of fat on me. I said that's it I have to start hitting the weights again.

I was so lost in trying to lose weight that I didn't even think about what would happen to my muscle mass. I did get a bit weaker and my composition is not what I would have hoped for. I have since dropped the cardio to minimal and have been hitting the weights 4 times a week.

I would say do your cardio but make sure you get some weight training in there.

SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're not doing anything now, start with a balanced program of weights and cardio (full body workouts 3x a week would probably be best for now). I'd just eat as you normally do as your metabolism will skyrocket at first so no real need to cut calories. You can clean up what you eat though, drop candy and sodas if you have them on a regular basis and up your water and protein intake.

gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    Think of the saying "Use it or lose it."
    / thread
    ^^Former 300+lb Crew^^

"Conquer your mind...Conquer your dreams"
    Nov 2006:370 pounds
    Oct 2011: ???

CHECK OUT: My "Stop F%***ing Around" Training Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125087501

CHECK OUT: MY TRANSFORMATION...(MOTIVATION/DETERMINATION/DEDICATION)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136245241