Registered User wakeboarder3780's Avatar
    wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Gain muscle mass - critique me?

I have been lifting since i was in high school and used to be a powerlifter. I did well in my career during HS, but injured my shoulder and was out for 3 years. I've been back into lifting the past 2-3 years but not as seriously as I've wanted to be.

I've started doing some research and learned i was doing some things wrong. I would like to hear from anyone that deems themselves experienced to critique me on what I could be doing better to gain muscle mass. I've always been strong for my size but not exactly physically large. I want to try to fill out and get "bigger".

My current routine is this:

I work out early morning before work (this can't change it's the only way i can fit it in to the schedule) for about 30 mins (this could possibly be elongated if deemed necessary, but will cut into sleep which is already at about 8 hrs per night or less).

I get up, don't eat breakfast, but have a half scoop of protein with milk to tide me over while i work out. When I get back I may or may not eat a bowl of cereal. If I don't I will eat a bagel with peanut butter about 3 hours later.

I lift the following 3 day routine in my 5 day cycle and just start over when i get to C.

Day A: Chest, biceps, triceps
    Day B: back, back, shoulders.
    Day C: legs, legs, legs

So I workout like the following:
    W1: M-A, T-B, W-C, H-A, F-B
    W2: M-C, T-A, W-B, H-C, F-A
    etc..

Every workout day consists of first 8 minutes of jogging (i get about .6 -.9 miles in in this time) to try to get just enough cardio to drop fat, but not so much that I'm breaking down tissue.

I've recently learned about time under tension, and also learned that I should be having a much longer time under tension to gain mass. I had previously been doing the normal 6 rep routine every day, always going as heavy as I can. (I think this might be why i injured myself the first time around). This got me pretty strong, but not bigger.

Now I am lifting about 70% capacity, and do 7 reps (3 sets) that take 4 seconds to do one rep. Then once every 2 weeks or so I go heavy once for A B and C and then back to 70% capacity.

I guess I'll stop there and I'm just looking for any eyesores you more experienced lifters might see. I'm not in a rush, I don't need to be huge tomorrow, but I do want to be getting bigger and that's something I have never had. I've chased numbers and I'm happy with how strong I am, I just want to be a bit bigger.

I can give greater detail if necessary. Please point out anything that seems strange.
    Last edited by wakeboarder3780; 01-11-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Probably not the best idea to do back the day after you work your biceps.
    Also, same with shoulders, probably best not to do them day after chest.

If you switched shoulders and biceps you would have a push/pull/legs routine.

Would like to know set and rep ranges as well. If you're training same muscle group twice a week gotta keep volume low to moderate.

wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakeboarder3780 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Muckle_Ewe View Post
    If you switched shoulders and biceps you would have a push/pull/legs routine.
    I'll research this a bit, but logically it makes sense already, thanks

Would like to know set and rep ranges as well. If you're training same muscle group twice a week gotta keep volume low to moderate.
    I do 3 sets for each exercise, 7 reps every time. Each rep takes 4 seconds round trip, so a total of 28 seconds per set. I'm interested that you said I might be doing too much, I already feel like I should be lifting more. Only lifting for about 20 mins (10 gets used up in cardio and workout shift) seems so low to me. Am I just looking at it wrong and it actually takes less work than I think to gain muscle mass?

Also, keep in mind I'm literally only doing one exercise for each muscle each day. So lets pick on "A day". I would go in and run for 8 mins, then do:

1 set bench, 1 set biceps (i'll be moving this to B), 1 set triceps
    add weight
    add weight
    Last edited by wakeboarder3780; 01-11-2010 at 11:45 AM.

I'm curious if you think I'm overtraining.

Also, what do you think about the way i eat. I feel kind of bad not eating more after i work out, but I just can't eat after I have a protein shake - not hungry at all.

Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by wakeboarder3780 View Post
    Also, what do you think about the way i eat. I feel kind of bad not eating more after i work out, but I just can't eat after I have a protein shake - not hungry at all.

Why not just eat a real meal then, instead of a protein shake?
    Starting Strength... Again! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172893

6 Month Beginner Starting Strength Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118409981

I guess I thought a protein shake was really good to help your muscles recover after the strenuous activity. I'm definitely up to changing things, I guess I would just like to know the general "best practices" kind of thing.

well I haven't gotten a whole lot of responses, but if anyone in the future plans on posting, I wont be watching this post 3 days after I post this response.

Some changes I've decided to make with the info I did get:

1) Changed to a push/pull/legs workout - thanks for the advice.
    2) Switching workout days to M-H and will be working out for an hour which will allow me to work the body out a lot harder and give it a lot more rest.
    3) I will be doing a PPL but on one of the days in the middle I'm going to throw abs and cardio in (I think wednesday) So really it's more like a P/P/AC/L workout - hopefully this modification won't compromise the effectiveness of a PPL workout. Please comment on this if you think there would be a better day to do it than right after pull.
    4) I have modified to take half the protein shake before the workout and half after which leaves me hungry enough to eat a whole wheat, double egg sandwhich, which will give me a different type of protein (egg instead of whey), but more importantly, useful carbs.

Please comment on this modification ideas if you can, I will check for about 3 days and then consider this thread dead.

muscleman777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you workout your back you use pulling motions like doing lat pull downs, and rows. Any kind of pulling motion causes you to workout you biceps a little. If you do back one day and biceps the other then you will over train your biceps.

Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    add weight
    add weight
    First off, I would say to do all the bench sets first. Do your largest muscle groups before the smaller ones.

well I haven't gotten a whole lot of responses, but if anyone in the future plans on posting, I wont be watching this post 3 days after I post this response.

Some changes I've decided to make with the info I did get:

1) Changed to a push/pull/legs workout - thanks for the advice.
    2) Switching workout days to M-H and will be working out for an hour which will allow me to work the body out a lot harder and give it a lot more rest.
    3) I will be doing a PPL but on one of the days in the middle I'm going to throw abs and cardio in (I think wednesday) So really it's more like a P/P/AC/L workout - hopefully this modification won't compromise the effectiveness of a PPL workout. Please comment on this if you think there would be a better day to do it than right after pull.
    4) I have modified to take half the protein shake before the workout and half after which leaves me hungry enough to eat a whole wheat, double egg sandwhich, which will give me a different type of protein (egg instead of whey), but more importantly, useful carbs.

Please comment on this modification ideas if you can, I will check for about 3 days and then consider this thread dead.
    What's M-H..? As for your PPl questions, find a trusted/proven program on this site that'll tell you sets, reps, number of exercises, etc. This is one I found on another forum that's supposed to be good but haven't tried it. Should give you an idea of exercise selection, sets, reps though.
    If you can't eat after a workout, have your protein shake then wait 30-45mins before having a meal.

What's M-H..?
    Monday - Thursday.

I will definitely look around for some workout routines on this forum, although I will have to be careful with my shoulders, they are still kind of iffy. I won't be able to do any military presses, but i can do dumbells neutral grip instead.

So I will be modifying whatever I find most likely as military press seems to be a core exercise that everyone loves (and that I can't safely do).

As far as biceps - I will definitely be doing them on the back day.

My only remaining questions is:
    Is it a good/bad idea to add abs and cardio to a PPL routine?

If it's ok to add abs/cardio, what day would be best? After push? After pull? After legs?

If it's "bad" to add abs/cardio to a PPL routine, how can I lift but ensure I'm getting enough cardio to drop some pudge (got a bit more than i'd like around the midsection).

Thanks for the responses

Monday - Thursday.

I will definitely look around for some workout routines on this forum, although I will have to be careful with my shoulders, they are still kind of iffy. I won't be able to do any military presses, but i can do dumbells neutral grip instead.

So I will be modifying whatever I find most likely as military press seems to be a core exercise that everyone loves (and that I can't safely do).

As far as biceps - I will definitely be doing them on the back day.

My only remaining questions is:
    Is it a good/bad idea to add abs and cardio to a PPL routine?

If it's ok to add abs/cardio, what day would be best? After push? After pull? After legs?

If it's "bad" to add abs/cardio to a PPL routine, how can I lift but ensure I'm getting enough cardio to drop some pudge (got a bit more than i'd like around the midsection).

Thanks for the responses
    I don't do cardio so couldn't tell you.
    In the routine I linked I think they have abs after legs.
    If you want to drop the pudge, make sure you are on a calorie deficit, that's more important then cardio.
    Why only M-H? I think the usual plan with PPL is to have a rest day between each workout, then a 2 day rest before hitting the first workout again the following week.

In the routine I linked..
    I actually never saw a link, not sure whats up with that, might want to try a re-post.

Why only M-H? I think the usual plan with PPL is to have a rest day between each workout, then a 2 day rest before hitting the first workout again the following week.
    I'm a freak of nature and really need a steady schedule to make sure i keep going. I was afraid getting up at different times each day was going to throw me off and motivation is key - I want to keep getting in. However if any of you are certain that this will cause excessive strain or reduce results from not enough rest, please tell me. I might have to suck it up and just completely let go of anything that I want and give in to a M W F schedule - which if at all reasonable I'd like to stick to M-TH

Lol forgot to post link...
    http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/Frankie-...ram-m8817.aspx

How is the rest of your week set up? Is that 3 days off in a row after leg day? I also don't really understand what you mean by the waking up different each morning at different times thing..? Do you workout really early and wouldn't get up that early if it was a rest day? Not entirely sure what you mean by that...

Is that 3 days off in a row after leg day?
    That's what I'm proposing, subject to review by you and everyone else. You have to understand that to me PPL really separates the muscles really well so when i think about the routine that way I think well it doesnt matter if I do M W F or MTW or w/e - they all get a week before they get hit again. However if each day is crossing over into other muscles i just shot that theory to sh*t didn't I?

In my heart i know its IDEAL to do MWF, the question is will it really hurt me to do M-W (M-TH if i add abs, cardio).

Do you workout really early and wouldn't get up that early if it was a rest day?
    You got it, I work out as soon as I wake up - right before work. Rest days I will sleep until it's time to go into work.