Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hujombo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Increasing Size: Drop Sets or Pyramids?

Anybody have an opinion on whether increasing weight or decreasing weight per set helps add size?

Thanks very much.

Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Both will work.. I did drop sets on preacher curls (40x10, 35x10, 30x10, 25x10) and saw pretty good results.

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I started double drop sets 4 weeks ago...it's got it moving again...@ least 25 reps per.
    Land of Honalee

liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I say give them both a shot. Gains won't last forever on any particular routine/workout. Use one for several weeks and then the other. This way you can get to see how YOUR body responds to the routines.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Regardless of whatever you do in the gym, if you do not eat enough and follow proper nutritional principles, including pre and post workout, you will not "add size".
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've done both. For some workouts after a pyramid set, I finish with a drop set to exhaust as many muscle fibers as I can.

Example: A typical pyramid of 10, 8, 6 reps followed by a drop set for a weight I can do at least 15 reps and up to 25 reps, then drop 25-50% weight and go right into the next set with no rest, then drop another 25-50% weight for one last set to finish off.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    As above, either will work, as long as you're lifting more weight, or the same weight for more reps, than last time.

Egoatdoor added the kicker; nutrition rules all.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good question - I'll be following this thread hoping to get some input.

So far, there doesn't seem to be a particular preference either way...
    Regards,

Duncan

Workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6716581

mwance has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mwance has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Has anyone tried pyramid up then back down?

Just started this myself last week. Hope to see an increase in curls and forearms this week.
    Regards,
    Mark "tiny" Wance

Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Not a big fan of either. I always think back to what my former trainer (Dante - DC training) once posted regarding this very same question......

"I look at bodybuilding in simple terms of "Doing what you havent done before" "constant forward progression" "heavier and heavier loads used over time in a productive rep range"

Now ask yourself....is dropping back to a weight that you have done 4000 times previously as a warmup set going to get the job done?

In my opinion no. If a guy has full squatted 500 lbs for 12 reps will doing 135 pound squats for 10 rep sets with 30 second rest intervals between them until he drops to the floor..... going to make his quads bigger? I think people sometimes confuse "I worked hard" with "I got bigger" and I dont think thats the case alot of the time."

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Someday View Post
    Now ask yourself....is dropping back to a weight that you have done 4000 times previously as a warmup set going to get the job done?

In my opinion no. If a guy has full squatted 500 lbs for 12 reps will doing 135 pound squats for 10 rep sets with 30 second rest intervals between them until he drops to the floor..... going to make his quads bigger? I think people sometimes confuse "I worked hard" with "I got bigger" ......
    Exactly. People always seem to confuse intensity with volume. Pyramiding up in weight? Yes. Pyramiding down? What the hell for? Again, confusing challenging muscle fiber with challenging lactic acid, lol. You know, teH burnz!
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mwance View Post

Just started this myself last week. Hope to see an increase in curls and forearms this week.
    Do it all the time, especially with "Basics" for each bodypart.

One of the most effective techniques for me
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mwance View Post
    Yes, I do this sometimes. I may pyramid up in weight but down in reps say on T-Bar rows then down on weight but up on reps on pulldowns.

McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    Exactly. People always seem to confuse intensity with volume. Pyramiding up in weight? Yes. Pyramiding down? What the hell for? Again, confusing challenging muscle fiber with challenging lactic acid, lol. You know, teH burnz!
    Listen to this man - he is old, and with age comes wisdom.

Pyramid sets (increasing weight / reducing reps) are a tried and tested way of increasing your lifts to the next weight increment. With increased weight comes increased size - if you are eating enough of the right foods.

Pyramid sets, drop sets, 5 x 5s or whatever are just three of a multitude of variations which should be occasionally dropped (!) into your routines to maintain the challenge, keep it interesting and to keep progressing
    because fitness isn't coincidence

Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by McJimmie View Post
    I'm sure he loves to hear he is old, hahaha. I love it too.

I don't like drop sets either. They may work for some people but I think they are no fun. Challenging myself to lift more all the time is a lot more interesting. Why burn out lifting less weight?

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Someday View Post
    Not a big fan of either. I always think back to what my former trainer (Dante - DC training) once posted regarding this very same question......

"I look at bodybuilding in simple terms of "Doing what you havent done before" "constant forward progression" "heavier and heavier loads used over time in a productive rep range"

In my opinion no. If a guy has full squatted 500 lbs for 12 reps will doing 135 pound squats for 10 rep sets with 30 second rest intervals between them until he drops to the floor..... going to make his quads bigger? I think people sometimes confuse "I worked hard" with "I got bigger" and I dont think thats the case alot of the time."
    AND they confuse the pump, which is temporary, with getting bigger.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by McJimmie View Post
    I 100% wholeheartedly agree. Kevin is old.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges