Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Standing Calf Raises in home gym power rack?

After searching the forum, I found tons of responses to similar questions, but most of the answers relate to a public gym and not a home gym.

I am putting together a home gym for the 1st time ever and I?m curious what other ?home gym? users are doing for Standing Calf Raises.

I?ve been using public or military gyms for the past 10yrs. & my favorite calf exercise by far is standing calf raises on a Smith machine while standing on a block (this is the only exercise I ever use the smith machine for). I also utilize a seating calf raise machine once in awhile, but I like the feel of standing better.

I know I can stand on a block and do ?one-legged? dumbbell calf raises, but again? I don?t think I can achieve the higher weights I could on a smith machine.

So after this long-winded explanation here it is:

Do you guys feel comfortable doing standing calf raises with a barbell inside a power rack?

Do you just slide the bar against the vertical uprights?

Do you feel like you are going to lose your balance with heavier weights?

I will make do with what I have, I am just curious what others are doing or have done to get around this.

Thanks

Registered User JoeTheBarbarian's Avatar
    JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeTheBarbarian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are different ways to do it...

I prefer the bar against the uprights...but that is just me...

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...CalfRaise.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...ell-calf-raise
    Last edited by JoeTheBarbarian; 01-08-2010 at 06:49 AM.

one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by deadlift201 View Post

Do you guys feel comfortable doing standing calf raises with a barbell inside a power rack?

Do you just slide the bar against the vertical uprights?

Do you feel like you are going to lose your balance with heavier weights?
    This is the way I used to do them...scratched the sh!t out of the uprights and the bar. You could make your own calf raise device:

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com...e-machine.html

I made that one and had 500 lbs on it..

or here's another way:

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com...ower-rack.html

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    I do mine the way the guy on exrx does his, leaning into the uprights. I'm perfectly comfortable doing this as I set my bar hooks high enough so that all I would have to do is step off the block to rack it. You could even set your safties this high to be completely sure the weight isn't going to come down. I did duck tape around my bar though to prevent the knurling from scratching the paint (sort of works) and I use the squat pad so I can keep the bar really high and my back very straight. It works fine and I've never felt like balance was an issue.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

is in love with Tom Platz DaveBriggs's Avatar
    Location: shropshire, england, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i have been doing my standing calf raises like this for 2 years or so now

they knock machine calf raises out of the ring in my oppinion

having 140-150 kilos resting on your shoulders while doing your calf raises requires so much strengh to balance and stabalise the load that you develop muscle tissue alot faster.

i use a 2 inch block of construction timber.

try not lean against anything, you will be losing valuable muscle stimulation. start with a lighter weight and work your way up. it takes alot of practise till you feel comfortable but once you do you notice your calves growing from months to month
    Natural Physique Ascossiation South East Britain lightweight champion

NPA Mike Williams Classic 3rd place Novice and Best First timer of tournament
    NPA National Finals 5th place Novice
    NPA Midlands Lightweight 2nd - best poser award
    NPA South East Lightweight Champion
    UKDFBA (british INBF arm) Bantams 4th
    NPA Mike Williams Classic Lightweight 2nd
    Natural Physique Assocciation British Finals - 5th

http://www.unleashedbeasts.com/beasts/david-briggs-talks-to-us/

is in love with Tom Platz DaveBriggs's Avatar
    Location: shropshire, england, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    don't forget to wear a belt!
    Natural Physique Ascossiation South East Britain lightweight champion

NPA Mike Williams Classic 3rd place Novice and Best First timer of tournament
    NPA National Finals 5th place Novice
    NPA Midlands Lightweight 2nd - best poser award
    NPA South East Lightweight Champion
    UKDFBA (british INBF arm) Bantams 4th
    NPA Mike Williams Classic Lightweight 2nd
    Natural Physique Assocciation British Finals - 5th

http://www.unleashedbeasts.com/beasts/david-briggs-talks-to-us/

deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deadlift201 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    All great responses guys I appreciate your input! I will give it a go (when my Powertec rack finally shows up) and start out lighter & work my weight up till I feel comfortable.

Under Construction... sharkattack's Avatar
    sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do mine inside my power rack, but I have some strips of thick teflon sheet (1/4" thick) that I'm planning on sticking to the inside of the rack's uprights. I need to drill holes in the teflon to match up with the ones in the uprights before I stick it on there. You can get the teflon sheeting in various sizes from McMaster Carr, www.mcmaster.com.

Hope this helps.

jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgmack1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I use a safety squat bar to do calf raises it works perfectly.

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    I found the easiest way was to slide it against the uprights at first, then over days or weeks as I got used to it I worked close to the uprights while balancing it on my own.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use a block on the inside of the rack..I feel like im a bit unbalanced so I loop chains around each side...goob yes...feel better hell yes

sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sam212 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can use leg press machine as well

Originally Posted by sam212 View Post
    You can use leg press machine as well
    Sam you obviously did not read my thread.

Everyone else, thanks for the good input!

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The only thing I could add that I do outside the norm or from what above posters said is that several years ago I saw a thread on here for the manta ray. Initially I kinda scoffed at it because I'd never use anything but bare bar on back for squats, but then I starting thinking it would be a great product to keep the bar extremely stable on your back for barbell calf raises and allow maximum focus to go towards the actual movement.

I ordered it and it works perfectly for what I hoped. The product definitely isn't needed, more of a cheap luxury, but I love it solely for standing calf raises.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I use a dip belt at home and do ski jump calve raises using sets of 25-40 reps with a 10 second gap between sets. Works amazing for my calves.....only use about 40kg as well.

_OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Zensuji View Post
    I use a dip belt at home and do ski jump calve raises using sets of 25-40 reps with a 10 second gap between sets. Works amazing for my calves.....only use about 40kg as well.
    Same here. Dip belt with feet on a block or step.

justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by darkfact View Post
    The only thing I could add that I do outside the norm or from what above posters said is that several years ago I saw a thread on here for the manta ray. Initially I kinda scoffed at it because I'd never use anything but bare bar on back for squats, but then I starting thinking it would be a great product to keep the bar extremely stable on your back for barbell calf raises and allow maximum focus to go towards the actual movement.

I ordered it and it works perfectly for what I hoped. The product definitely isn't needed, more of a cheap luxury, but I love it solely for standing calf raises.
    This is great to hear Darkfact. I just purchased the Manta Ray to convince my girlfriend to learn squats. I tried the Manta Ray out for myself and I found that it feels awkward, as I prefer the bar lower down on my back. But now I will definitely give this device a try for standing calf raises. Currently, I am using an Atlus dip belt with my Body Solid calf block. This quickly becomes cumbersome when I add more than two 45lbs, with the plates swaying on the chain and hitting my toes during the downward phase.

I found an article where another guy also uses the Manta Ray for this execise:

http://www.weight-lifting-complete.c...exercises.html

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Manta ray is great for calve raises.

kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kene4466 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I put bar against uprights

hodgempls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I place the bar inside the rack on the safety bars. I then use a calf block and brace the bar against the uprights (almost like a smith machine) and lift. To protect the rack posts from getting scratched up, I cut the ends off 2 socks and slipped those over the knurling on the olympic bar - works great

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by justinluck View Post
    This is great to hear Darkfact. I just purchased the Manta Ray to convince my girlfriend to learn squats. I tried the Manta Ray out for myself and I found that it feels awkward, as I prefer the bar lower down on my back. But now I will definitely give this device a try for standing calf raises. Currently, I am using an Atlus dip belt with my Body Solid calf block. This quickly becomes cumbersome when I add more than two 45lbs, with the plates swaying on the chain and hitting my toes during the downward phase.

I found an article where another guy also uses the Manta Ray for this execise:

http://www.weight-lifting-complete.c...exercises.html
    yep, heavy low rep calf raises with a dip belt would be something I wouldn't be willing to try, not with an altus belt for sure. I use the manta ray and lean against the power rack uprights and it feels exactly like a smith machine calf raise.

I would not recommend the manta ray for anything except calf raises, it's not a good tool for squats.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looks like the problem is solved.

I use my smith machine for calf raises. Rawks.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    +1 (1 more anyway) for the dip belt.

It keeps the weight off your spine, which is already taxed from heavy squats.

Also, my hands are free to hold onto something. Try calf raises while leaning slightly forward or backward for a completely different burn.
    "I am only one man, but I am a strong man."
    -FGR 2010.

You don't want the following day's local newspaper headline to be "Dumbass dies on an AirDyne".
    -weisgarb 2013

"Word of warning to whom it may concern: Picking up a 226lb atlas stone and putting it in your car's trunk is easy compared to getting it out of said trunk."
    -Xephonics, 2010

justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by darkfact View Post
    yep, heavy low rep calf raises with a dip belt would be something I wouldn't be willing to try, not with an altus belt for sure. I use the manta ray and lean against the power rack uprights and it feels exactly like a smith machine calf raise.

I would not recommend the manta ray for anything except calf raises, it's not a good tool for squats.
    Just to clarify, (as I have never done these before) are you leaning forward inside the rack?

triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just to clarify, (as I have never done these before) are you leaning forward inside the rack?
    Personally I tried this for the first time this morning, and did both leaning forward AND leaning backwards against the uprights. Both ways felt fine. I actually use an block of cement and steel for the calf block. Solid, but it weighs like 200 lbs or so, so it's a pain to get it into position. MIght just make a calf block out of wood...

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I lean forwards sometimes and backwards sometimes just for variation. Leaning against supports behind me allows me to stand much more upright than if I'm leaning against front supports. Mostly due to the limitations I have on space with my rack and calf block, that will all change when my new efs rack gets here.

emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by hodgempls View Post
    I place the bar inside the rack on the safety bars. I then use a calf block and brace the bar against the uprights (almost like a smith machine) and lift. To protect the rack posts from getting scratched up, I cut the ends off 2 socks and slipped those over the knurling on the olympic bar - works great
    I tried the sock idea, and it works like a charm.

Thanks!

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for all the ideas in this thread, guys.

chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I had the same concerns about standing calf raises, decided to do a sort of a staright legged calf raise on my leg sled instead... I've had pretty good results..

just flipped the load plate backwards (to get the right angle) on my yukon leg sled, added a piece of chromed diamond plate with a 2x4 betwen it and the load plate, with lag bolts and also metric bolts, and it's good to go.....
    Last edited by chemmech; 07-22-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: grmmr

shut up and smith squat hypnojedi's Avatar
    hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    I do mine the way the guy on exrx does his, leaning into the uprights. I'm perfectly comfortable doing this as I set my bar hooks high enough so that all I would have to do is step off the block to rack it. You could even set your safties this high to be completely sure the weight isn't going to come down. I did duck tape around my bar though to prevent the knurling from scratching the paint (sort of works) and I use the squat pad so I can keep the bar really high and my back very straight. It works fine and I've never felt like balance was an issue.
    That's what I do, homemade calf block, duck tape to prevent scratching, and safety bars are where I start the lift from, leaning in slightly to the rack.

I naturally have bad balance (one leg slightly longer, shoe inserts to correct) and if I can do it, anyone can.