indienomad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indienomad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indienomad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can't Stick To My Diet *FRUSTRATED*

I've just started a new program and for the life of me I CANNOT stick to it. I am so frustrated with myself! My meals are planned and easy to carry around with me if I'm out during the day. What's been killing me is that time period between 4 and 8. Why do the same number of calories for the first three meals feel fine during the day, but at night feel like I'm starving to death? Even if I am a little hungry during the day between meals its not the kind of all consuming psychological stress that I have in the evening. Is there a physiological reason for this? It is simply mental?

I made it through the first two days fine, but for the last two days I've binged (first night on 900 cals of chocolate and tonight on swiss cheese and sweet potato). So, for the last two days I've still managed to hit the gym but I've been eating either at or roughly 200 cals above maintenance. I know the right thing to do is not beat myself up about it, think of it as an opportunity to take advantage of some mini muscle gain, and get back on track tomorrow. I guess I'm just worried that I cannot get myself out of this pattern. I've been struggling with these 10-15 pounds for two years now, am newly single and I want to feel good about my body. It just feels impossible! Ugh. Just venting. Thanks for reading!

sal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have felt that same thing! I just find things to occupy my time in the evening so i'm not just lying around thinking about my next meal. Have you tried working out at night? Just find something that you can do for at least 10-15 min to occupy your mind when you feel a craving, that seems to work for me.

indienomad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indienomad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indienomad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks. It's true that I'm often home in the evening, looking for distractions from my work and thinking about when I'm going to eat next. My gym in the evening is an unpleasant place - too many people. I prefer to workout in the mornings, but I think some kind of evening activity or pre-planned destination (working in the library?) would help. I may try to incorporate a protein shake around 4pm and see if that helps.
    Last edited by indienomad; 01-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.

righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I haven't been having too much trouble up until the past few days because it's about to be that time of the month and the cravings are getting scary bad.

What I do:

--Go for a drive
    --Read some of the threads on this site about diet/nutrition/fat loss--it's harder to go on a binge after reading 2-3 threads about fat loss
    --Clean
    --Read a book, newspaper, or fitness magazine
    --********, online Texas Hold 'Em, other games or distractions

Best of luck. You can do it!

Doesn't have bulky legs halcyonnwar's Avatar
    halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

I struggle with cravings too. I know what causes problems for me (potato chips, fried food, gummy candy, tortilla chips, any ice-cream type food, and some others I won't bore you with) and I DO NOT buy these things for myself when I'm at the store, if I consider buying them I think about my boyfriend who has lost over twenty pounds and that motivates me.

Looks like you crave chocolate:

When I want Chocolate:

Chocolate Protein popsicles: Combine 1 cup of egg whites (pasteurized in the carton) with 1 to 2 servings of chocolate protein powder and a dash of cayenne pepper for fun. Blend and freeze in a popsicle tray for 2 to 3 hours.

Mix 1 tsp of mini-semi-sweet chocolate chips in my cottage cheese before bed.

Mayan Cocoa Spice Tea from Yogi Tea: I have it linked here, don't know if it will get blocked. http://www.yogiproducts.com/products...n-cocoa-spice/

Diet Hot cocoa from Swiss miss (don't worry it's cheaper in the store): http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Miss-Coc...utrition-facts

For fried foods and a ton of other cravings:

It's not necessarily "Clean Food" but I really love hungry girl (it's a website, and there are cookbooks). She has a system for faux-frying that is awesome using fiber one and baking.
    I don't know if the link will get blocked but here's a link to a recipe of hers that is for fish and chips (check out the comparison with regular fish and chips) http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chew....php?isid=1633

I have her "200 recipes under 200 calories" book and it's awesome.
    "We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey"
    -Kenji Miyazawa

Should be Mandatory Reading: http://www.stumptuous.com/honesty-is-the-best-policy

.Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you're suffering like that you might not be getting enough cals in your diet or a good variety of nutrients. That isnt normal

Your diet should feel satisfying...something you're comfortable with, not some rigid plan that you feel you Should stick with..now thats bs

Enjoy your food
    Lifes too short
    More Sex and Violence Please

halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by .Zaher. View Post
    If you're suffering like that you might not be getting enough cals in your diet or a good variety of nutrients. That isnt normal

Your diet should feel satisfying...something you're comfortable with, not some rigid plan that you feel you Should stick with..now thats bs

Enjoy your food
    Lifes too short
    I think that's true, I might have misread the OP before thinking she was saying cravings got the best of her... I think if you're *actually* really hungry at night then you should think about reevaluating the nutrition plan you're following.
    -Kenji Miyazawa

Should be Mandatory Reading: http://www.stumptuous.com/honesty-is-the-best-policy

Originally Posted by halcyonnwar View Post

I have her "200 recipes under 200 calories" book and it's awesome.
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! That "200 recipes under 200 calories" book sounds perfect! Also, the protein popsicles sound good too! Yes, I definitely like sweets at night. It's a hard habit to break. In general I'm just HUNGRY in the evening. I happened to have had a lot of chocolate in the house because I got three giant tins of Lindt truffles as an Xmas gift that I wanted to find someone to give to (I hated to throw it all in the garbage). It sat there since Dec. 26th and I finally caved on Jan. 6th! Needless to say, it ended up in the trash anyway after I ate 12 pieces. Ack.

My calories are around 1450 right now. I think it might be more about my body adjusting to the lower cals, the frequent eating and going back to the gym. Whenever I drop weight, my body always feels like this....like it immediately wants me to put it back on and stay at 130.

I hear you on the life is short part, but at the same time I also feel like life is too short to not be able to fit into the clothes I like and feel comfortable in my own skin - I know I can look better. It's sometimes hard to maintain a healthy balance. I'm not big into deprivation, but at the same time when you're at a lower BF% and when you're older and your metabolism isn't as fast as it used to be, it does become harder to drop even lower and requires more sacrifice. At least that has been my experience.
    Last edited by indienomad; 01-07-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Yeah, check out her site too. Just google Hungry Girl--- she has found a lot of crazily good products with low calories. I'm trying to eat only clean food (and some of it is processed) but if you're going to have something sweet it may as well be a tiramisu that has fewer than 200 calories because you used a Sugar Free Jello pudding in it haha.

Good luck to you, it has taken me a long time to get over my need to eat at night. I see that you're a grad student like me (which means that you stay up into the latest of late hours working). it is *really* hard to make good food choices when you're up reading at 2am and you crave sugar to stay awake.

To combat this (not always successful though, to warn you) I tried to limit calories during the early part of the day and saved easy clean meals for night time.

--Greek Yogurt with berries
    --Cottage Cheese
    --Sometimes eggs even

in library (even though we're not allowed to eat in there) I'd bring in food in tupperware. Now I mostly work at home anyway because it's nicer.

Anyway, I totally agree, the night time is the worst especially when you're up working and you need something to help you stay awake. I do buy a lot of really delicious flavored teas. I like Yogi Teas. There are ones that taste like chocolate, and the variety can bring some calorie-free distraction and even caffeine.
    -Kenji Miyazawa

Originally Posted by halcyonnwar View Post
    Yeah, check out her site too. Just google Hungry Girl--- she has found a lot of crazily good products with low calories. I'm trying to eat only clean food (and some of it is processed) but if you're going to have something sweet it may as well be a tiramisu that has fewer than 200 calories because you used a Sugar Free Jello pudding in it haha.

Good luck to you, it has taken me a long time to get over my need to eat at night. I see that you're a grad student like me (which means that you stay up into the latest of late hours working). it is *really* hard to make good food choices when you're up reading at 2am and you crave sugar to stay awake.

To combat this (not always successful though, to warn you) I tried to limit calories during the early part of the day and saved easy clean meals for night time.

--Greek Yogurt with berries
    --Cottage Cheese
    --Sometimes eggs even

in library (even though we're not allowed to eat in there) I'd bring in food in tupperware. Now I mostly work at home anyway because it's nicer.

Anyway, I totally agree, the night time is the worst especially when you're up working and you need something to help you stay awake. I do buy a lot of really delicious flavored teas. I like Yogi Teas. There are ones that taste like chocolate, and the variety can bring some calorie-free distraction and even caffeine.
    THANK YOU! It IS hard. We keep really weird hours, and as I see you understand, if you're up until 2am writing the whole 6 meals a day with your last meal at 9 or 10pm is difficult to maintain. I think the anxiety of knowing the food is "running out" by 6 is playing mental tricks on me! I think limiting the cals during the times I'm less hungry is good advice actually. I've done that before and it worked pretty well - that extra 100 cals at 8pm can make a huge difference if you plan right.

Tupperware in the library - ha ha. That has totally been my life this week. BTW your progress pics are great! Very inspirational.

Originally Posted by indienomad View Post
    THANK YOU! It IS hard. We keep really weird hours, and as I see you understand, if you're up until 2am writing the whole 6 meals a day with your last meal at 9 or 10pm is difficult to maintain. I think the anxiety of knowing the food is "running out" by 6 is playing mental tricks on me! I think limiting the cals during the times I'm less hungry is good advice actually. I've done that before and it worked pretty well - that extra 100 cals at 8pm can make a huge difference if you plan right.

Tupperware in the library - ha ha. That has totally been my life this week. BTW your progress pics are great! Very inspirational.
    Thanks! I appreciate that!

I know EXACTLY what you mean with the "food running out at 6pm" thing though. I start getting worried when I'm approaching the end of my calories and the study-night is just beginning. I do think though that I don't need to eat every 3 or 4 hours during daylight hours, it really is the night that is worse for me. I'd eat bags of steamed green vegetables just because I felt like I *needed* to eat something last year. This year has been better as I've stopped being a vegetarian and can eat protein rich food that keeps me fuller longer. I've probably consumed more non-fat greek yogurt than any human should.
    Last edited by halcyonnwar; 01-07-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    -Kenji Miyazawa

Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pavlina is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have the same problem. Its horrible, I cant seem to shift below this weight as I have at least 2-3 binge days a week
    I know my issue is purely mental as I have an "all or nothing mentality" with food.
    When I was living with my mate we had no junk food in the house, no bread or anything youd want to binge on, and this made it very easy to eat clean all the time.
    Now I live with my bf and his mate and there is always binge food around... it is very difficult. sigh

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sal1 View Post
    I have felt that same thing! I just find things to occupy my time in the evening so i'm not just lying around thinking about my next meal. Have you tried working out at night? Just find something that you can do for at least 10-15 min to occupy your mind when you feel a craving, that seems to work for me.
    My experience exactly. In the morning I'm at work, so my head is rather busy with that, and in the afternoon I'm at the gym, so I'm nice and happy and busy, but when I lay my ass next to the TV, HELLO MUNCHIES! As Sal says, find something to occupy yourself with in the evening, and if you really want to just chill and relax, find someone to do it with to keep your mind off the food.

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you're always hungry at night, then save more calories for night time. Stop eating so frequently too. Your body produces grehlin (the hunger hormone) based on when you usually eat, so if you usually eat every few hours, you'll produce grehlin every few hours. You're training your body to be hungry all the time. Mentally, you can probably deal with this in the morning, but at night, when you are consuming your last calories of the day, you can't deal with it so you binge.

Solution? Eat fewer meals that are larger and more satisfying, and definitely save enough calories for a satisfying dinner. It will be tough the first few days since you've training yourself to get hungry every few hours, but after that it'll be easier. Drink a lot of coffee for a few days in the morning and mid-afternoon to suppress your appetite.

By the way, how many calories are you consuming? It's possible that you're also simply trying to create too large a deficit.

nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tiffany_P View Post
    If you're always hungry at night, then save more calories for night time. Stop eating so frequently too. Your body produces grehlin (the hunger hormone) based on when you usually eat, so if you usually eat every few hours, you'll produce grehlin every few hours. You're training your body to be hungry all the time. Mentally, you can probably deal with this in the morning, but at night, when you are consuming your last calories of the day, you can't deal with it so you binge.

Solution? Eat fewer meals that are larger and more satisfying, and definitely save enough calories for a satisfying dinner. It will be tough the first few days since you've training yourself to get hungry every few hours, but after that it'll be easier. Drink a lot of coffee for a few days in the morning and mid-afternoon to suppress your appetite.

By the way, how many calories are you consuming? It's possible that you're also simply trying to create too large a deficit.

^^ I was actually going to say this very thing. I sometimes have the same thing, except that it happens to me in the mornings - my metabolism definitely slows down after 4pm - sometimes I'm not even hungry for my last meal. But from breakfast till about 2, I get hungry pretty quickly. So I make sure to have bigger meals earlier in the day to keep me satisfied longer and then towards night when I'm not really hungry, I'll just have some cottage cheese and veggies or something like that. Just do the same thing. Only reverse it
    Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm a peanut butter addict...

I do this because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    First, swiss cheese and a sweet potato is not a binge, unless you ate a package of swiss cheese and 3 sweet potatoes.

Second, if you're sure that your calories are where they need to be, try restructuring your meals. How about 3 meals and 1 snack? Or two really big meals and one or two snacks?

Don't eat food you hate

Eat one thing a day you're really looking forward to.

nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
    Eat one thing a day you're really looking forward to.

^^ At least! I usually have 1 thing in every meal that I look forward to. Usually it's my peanut butter - I'm such a junkie
    Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm a peanut butter addict...

I do this because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

Thanks everyone! My cals are around 1450 - so it's a deficit, but it's not super extreme. The hormonal part makes a lot of sense to me, so thanks for the info. It really does "feel" almost like trying to break some addiction - there is a physical component that seems to activate after a certain time in the day that wasn't making a lot of sense to me.

I have to agree that limiting the cals during the day and saving them for the evening sounds like a good plan of action. It's sort of interesting to me that we consistently hear that 6 "meals" a day is necessary for our metabolisms to function properly for optimal weight loss, but in some ways it seems more about when you eat your calories that is more important (am I wrong?). Like, obviously you need to eat a sufficient amount of cals and adequate macronutrient breakdown before and after workouts, and NOT eat absolutely nothing all day and then sit down at 10pm and scarf down 1200 calories. Given this info, wouldn't it be just as effective to have a 100 cal protein shake in the morning, another 100 cals of fruit or protein in the early afternoon, and then work the rest of the cals around (in a healthy/functional way) after 5pm - particularly if I'm having larger meals in the evening and if I have to be up until 2am? Maybe it's not ideal for everyone, but if you're someone like me who has a lot more 'control' over diet during the day, then creating some leeway in the evening seems like it's working out some of the stress of restricted cals.
    Last edited by indienomad; 01-08-2010 at 06:57 AM.

IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronCitGrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I completely agree. You may be creating too large of a deficit to start out with. I increased my calories by only 100 a day (still in deficit by 400 calories) and it really helps, but keep in mind you may have to drop them again once you lose weight. And I have decreased my meal frequency from six meals to five and that even seems to help with hunger.

Keeping occupied during those hours will also be a big help. I got a part time job where I'm at work from 6-10pm and don't get home until 10:30 so that covers the "danger zone". When I didn't have to work I would just go to a bookstore like barnes and nobles etc and read. Sometimes you just need to get out of the house and away from the refrigerator.

I also found tracking my period helps too. Then I know when its about to come so I know that I'm probably not hungry I'm just getting PMS cravings.

Also eating a big salad helps fill you up longer and doesn't have many calories.

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks everyone! My cals are around 1450 - so it's a deficit, but it's not super extreme. The hormonal part makes a lot of sense to me, so thanks for the info. It really does "feel" almost like trying to break some addiction - there is a physical component that seems to activate after a certain time in the day that wasn't making a lot of sense to me.

I have to agree that limiting the cals during the day and saving them for the evening sounds like a good plan of action. It's sort of interesting to me that we consistently hear that 6 "meals" a day is necessary for our metabolisms to function properly for optimal weight loss, but in some ways it seems more about when you eat your calories that is more important (am I wrong?). Like, obviously you need to eat a sufficient amount of cals and adequate macronutrient breakdown before and after workouts, and NOT eat absolutely nothing all day and then sit down at 10pm and scarf down 1200 calories. Given this info, wouldn't it be just as effective to have a 100 cal protein shake in the morning, another 100 cals of fruit or protein in the early afternoon, and then work the rest of the cals around (in a healthy/functional way) after 5pm - particularly if I'm having larger meals in the evening and if I have to be up until 2am? Maybe it's not ideal for everyone, but if you're someone like me who has a lot more 'control' over diet during the day, then creating some leeway in the evening seems like it's working out some of the stress of restricted cals.
    The concept of eating 6 small meals to "keep your metabolism going" is completely obsolete. Meal frequency will only affect the "energy in" portion of the energy balance equation. Like nearly everything in fitness, some people will respond well to frequent meals and others will respond poorly. For some, eating more frequently keeps them satisfied and prevents binges. For others, eating more frequently leaves them unsatisfied and food-obsessed.

I highly recommend taking some time to read the articles on Lyle McDonald's website. There's a wealth of information on it. (www.bodyrecomposition.com)

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The deficit you're using is fine. The question is how are your numbers broken down in terms of protein, carbs and fats? This is why I've always felt that macro breakdowns do make a difference. If I keep my carbs higher, I tend to crave them more. If I keep fats too low, my energy is **** and I'm more hungry. So switching things up can make a difference.

Keep in mind any time you're in a deficit you will feel hungry...but the feeling should pass. If not, then something is off in the diet.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

For others, eating more frequently leaves them unsatisfied and food-obsessed.

I highly recommend taking some time to read the articles on Lyle McDonald's website. There's a wealth of information on it.
    That is totally me. When I was really committed in 2007 I looked great, but it was a daily struggle. I was completely food-obsessed between meals, but I just pushed through it. It has been a big part of not being able to recommit and stick to this like I have in the past - I really just hated not being able to think about anything but food all day. It felt like my quality of life suffered.

At other times since then I've simply not eaten for long stretches of time. I might have some high protein cereal like Kashi Go Lean or something for breakfast, have a pear in the afternoon, and then have a regular dinner and maybe a couple of "snacks" in the late late evening depending on how late I was up - like soy hot chocolate (soy milk for protein, cocoa powder and stevia) and/or a protein shake. I got in the macros I needed; it was just spaced out differently. This worked for me, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was doing something wrong, because I thought I was supposed to be eating more frequently. I will definitely check out the link.

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    The deficit you're using is fine. The question is how are your numbers broken down in terms of protein, carbs and fats? This is why I've always felt that macro breakdowns do make a difference. If I keep my carbs higher, I tend to crave them more. If I keep fats too low, my energy is **** and I'm more hungry. So switching things up can make a difference.

Keep in mind any time you're in a deficit you will feel hungry...but the feeling should pass. If not, then something is off in the diet.
    Thanks. Right now my breakdown is 160 protein, 125 carbs, 35 fat. I found an online trainer on this site a couple of years ago this is the breakdown we were using when I was on my last cut.
    Last edited by indienomad; 01-08-2010 at 09:16 AM.

SeekingD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

I've just started a new program and for the life of me I CANNOT stick to it. I am so frustrated with myself! My meals are planned and easy to carry around with me if I'm out during the day. What's been killing me is that time period between 4 and 8. Why do the same number of calories for the first three meals feel fine during the day, but at night feel like I'm starving to death? Even if I am a little hungry during the day between meals its not the kind of all consuming psychological stress that I have in the evening. Is there a physiological reason for this? It is simply mental?

I made it through the first two days fine, but for the last two days I've binged (first night on 900 cals of chocolate and tonight on swiss cheese and sweet potato). So, for the last two days I've still managed to hit the gym but I've been eating either at or roughly 200 cals above maintenance. I know the right thing to do is not beat myself up about it, think of it as an opportunity to take advantage of some mini muscle gain, and get back on track tomorrow. I guess I'm just worried that I cannot get myself out of this pattern. I've been struggling with these 10-15 pounds for two years now, am newly single and I want to feel good about my body. It just feels impossible! Ugh. Just venting. Thanks for reading!

indienomad,

I can relate. Faster metabolisms do kick up hunger. However, I think it may also be a stress or emotional issue response. I was in a dreadful relationshiip for a while. I did not eat correctly or exercise as needed because I kept getting blown off the path by more relationship related stress. It simply was all too chaotic to stay on course. And, of course, stress produces higher levels of cortisol, leading to more belly fat.
    As that situation went away and eventually, some peace and calm returned, hunger was not nearly as bad. (It took some time.) Now, although I am frequently hungry due to my calorie burn, when I am not under stress, I am able to not give in to any cravings that do appear. As for the stomach, I am still working on it, doing my best to improve it without surgery on my stiill droopy c-section skin. I am also getting my food allergies under control so that I don't remain eternally swollen from gas and water retention. Best to all of you!
    Last edited by SeekingD; 01-08-2010 at 02:45 PM.

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for their feedback, and say that after I posted this at the beginning of the month, I've only "binged" once (I ate around 300 cals over maintenance, so not exactly a binge).

I really think it has everything to do with the excellent advice I got about eating less during the day and saving the calories for the evening when I'm more hungry. Also, after almost four weeks of eating this way it has really become a habit, and my body is not kicking back, so to speak, by craving the late night sugar, ice cream, chocolate, etc. like it used to. Just goes to show, stick with it and it will get easier. Starting the journey is so much harder than maintaining it. Looking forward to February!

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for their feedback, and say that after I posted this at the beginning of the month, I've only "binged" once (I ate around 300 cals over maintenance, so not exactly a binge).

I really think it has everything to do with the excellent advice I got about eating less during the day and saving the calories for the evening when I'm more hungry. Also, after almost four weeks of eating this way it has really become a habit, and my body is not kicking back, so to speak, by craving the late night sugar, ice cream, chocolate, etc. like it used to. Just goes to show, stick with it and it will get easier. Starting the journey is so much harder than maintaining it. Looking forward to February!
    Yay! Congrats!
    -Kenji Miyazawa

ToopyNBinoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm aware that this thread is from 2010, but I have had the same problem and finally resolved it after years of struggling. I stopped doing cardio completely and took up weight training exclusively. I wasn't able to eat enough calories per day to keep up with a cardio + lifting routine so it resulted in major hunger pangs. Try cutting down your cardio a bit and see how it goes.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Can you "scrimp" on calories earlier in the day and bank them for your difficult time at night? Or try intermitten fasting, so you're eating the bulk of your calories at the time you struggle with anyways?
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."