GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000)

is 4 days rest enough for a muscle group?

Currently running a 3 day split with a 3 on/1 off deal and i wanted to know if you guys think 4 days rest for a muscle group is enough, or am i simply overtraining. My split looks like this:

Day 1: Legs
    Day 2: Chest/Tris/Shoulders
    Day 3: Bis/Back
    Day 4: Rest
    -Repeat-
    -USMC-

kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Depends on how trained you are. If you are a newb, you only need 24-72 hrs. If you are intermediate it may take a week for a full recovery cycle from a max effort. Advanced... even longer.

(at least according to Ripp and Kilgore in practical proramming).

You definitely need a rest day though, unless you are a pro.

-kap
    Grrrrrrrrrrr...

MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Tons of people get great results from 3 days per week of full body workouts. So, yes 4 days is more than enough.

Muscle growth occurs during rest. This much is true. The process of adding muscle tissue is called protein synthesis, and it only lasts for about 48 hours after a training session. One study showed increases for 72 hours, but the increases on that third day were insignificant. This is why higher frequency works so well. No wasted days.

SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
    Currently running a 3 day split with a 3 on/1 off deal and i wanted to know if you guys think 4 days rest for a muscle group is enough, or am i simply overtraining. My split looks like this:

Day 3: Bis/Back
    Day 4: Rest
    -Repeat-
    MOve the rest day up a day

Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Bis/Back
    Day 5: Legs
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Chest/Tris/Shoulders
    Day 8: Bis/Back

etc...............

That would allow a rotation so that way you lead of each cycle with a fresh body part.

GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000) GoingPlaces is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SumDumGoi View Post
    MOve the rest day up a day

Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Bis/Back
    Day 5: Legs
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Chest/Tris/Shoulders
    Day 8: Bis/Back

etc...............

That would allow a rotation so that way you lead of each cycle with a fresh body part.
    I'll try that and see how it goes. Probably going to start doing cardio on off day, thanks.
    -USMC-

Toddyo0o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Toddyo0o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MDPower75 View Post
    Tons of people get great results from 3 days per week of full body workouts. So, yes 4 days is more than enough.

Muscle growth occurs during rest. This much is true. The process of adding muscle tissue is called protein synthesis, and it only lasts for about 48 hours after a training session. One study showed increases for 72 hours, but the increases on that third day were insignificant. This is why higher frequency works so well. No wasted days.

Wait do you mean higher frequency as in working out every single day would yield a greater resulty? I've never worked out before so pardon my idiocracy.

riddleman65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) riddleman65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) riddleman65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) riddleman65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) riddleman65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) riddleman65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) riddleman65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Toddyo0o View Post
    Wait do you mean higher frequency as in working out every single day would yield a greater resulty? I've never worked out before so pardon my idiocracy.
    Working the same muscle group again after 2-3 days of rest should yield better results opposed to working them after 7 days of rest. But again, this is dependent on how advanced you are. A beginner can get away with less rest than an intermediate can.

Originally Posted by riddleman65 View Post
    Working the same muscle group again after 2-3 days of rest should yield better results opposed to working them after 7 days of rest. But again, this is dependent on how advanced you are. A beginner can get away with less rest than an intermediate can.
    Define an intermediate lifter as compared to a novice
    -USMC-

MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Toddyo0o View Post
    My point was that allowing more than 72 hours of rest may not be beneficial. The caveat here is that it depends on what you're doing. But, I don't think that these splits, and the idea that you need 7-10 days of rest, applies to the vast majority of natural lifters.

I've done routines where you needed more rest than that (more than 48-72 hours I mean) because of the huge amounts of inflammation caused by the workout. But, in the end I've had far better results from lower volume, but higher frequency and intensity (i.e. load, not exertion), than from these blast and dust style workouts. Your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted by riddleman65 View Post
    Well the guys at Westside Barbell....guys like Louie Simmons still do what is basically an upper/lower split. So, they are hitting everything twice per week with 72 hours of rest for each group; i.e. upper body and lower body. I consider Louie Simmons to be a pretty advanced lifter. Admittedly this is for powerlifting not body building, but I think that the two are more similar than dissimilar.
    Last edited by MDPower75; 01-08-2010 at 05:28 AM.

morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MDPower75 View Post
    I've done routines where you needed more rest than that (more than 48-72 hours I mean) because of the huge amounts of inflammation caused by the workout. But, in the end I've had far better results from lower volume, but higher frequency and intensity (i.e. load, not exertion), .
    exactly, you can do routines that require u need more time just to recover from them, but it doesnt mean you will gain better.

muffinhead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by morderstwo View Post
    exactly, you can do routines that require u need more time just to recover from them, but it doesnt mean you will gain better.
    Does that mean that a hard (needs more recovery) workout done once a week won't gain any more than a moderate workout also done once a week?

I too would like to hear what y'all are meaning by novice, intermediate, advanced. Is that someone coordinated at their workout as to trash a muscle better or someone with a greater amount of muscle mass that gets worked- or a combo of both?