byawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Criticize my program! Go ahead, tear me to shreds!

I have been on a muscle-building program since August 1st, and have been very faithful to it. However, it occurred to me, it might not be such a bad idea to share my current program with more experienced people to get feedback on what I can improve. I'm pretty new to the world of bodybuilding.
    Consistency is great, but of course I want to be consistent doing the RIGHT things! I'd hate to make the same dumb mistake 500 times in a row!
    So here's what I've been doing. Please tear me apart!

I'm 26 years old, six-foot. On August 1st, I was 176 pounds and 9.5% body fat (159.6 LBM). Today I am 199.5 pounds and 12.8% body fat (174 LBM). My goal is to continue putting on muscle, with as little extra fat as possible, and then enter a fat-burning mode in early spring.

- I've been lifting three times a week in a three-day split. Day 1, Chest and shoulders (maybe eight sets of each). Day 2, legs and abs (maybe ten sets of legs, five of abs). Day 3, back and arms (maybe ten sets of back, twelve of arms). I've been trying to push myself with each workout (either more weight or more reps).

- Three cardio sessions a week (30 mins each).

- I've been eating about 3,100 calories a day in a 50-30-20 ratio, five or six meals a day. I average one or two cheat meals a week. Here's a typical day for me:

MEAL ONE
    Oatmeal with zero-calorie sweetener, protein shake w/low-fat milk, banana.

MEAL TWO
    Egg whites with ketchup, fruit and spinach smoothie, honey roasted peanuts, dry cereal (different types of Fiber One or Go Lean cereals, etc.)

MEAL THREE
    Turkey sandwich on wheat with BBQ sauce, dry cereal again, maybe some peanuts. Sometimes a soda mix (mostly diet, but with a little regular in there, too).

MEAL FOUR
    Boneless skinless chicken with BBQ sauce, dry cereal again.

MEAL FIVE
    Boneless skinless chicken with BBQ sauce, green beans.
    Last edited by byawk; 01-07-2010 at 03:45 PM.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by byawk View Post
    So here's what I've been doing. Please tear me apart!

- I've been lifting three times a week in a three-day split. Day 1, Chest and shoulders (maybe eight sets of each). Day 2, legs and abs (maybe ten sets of legs, five of abs). Day 3, back and arms (maybe ten sets of back, twelve of arms). I've been trying to push myself with each workout (either more weight or more reps).
    3 days a week sounds good, but without knowing more, ie exactly what you're doing, I cannot comment in any meaningful way. Do you squat and deadlift? Do you bench? If so, what are you numbers?
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

byawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    3 days a week sounds good, but without knowing more, ie exactly what you're doing, I cannot comment in any meaningful way. Do you squat and deadlift? Do you bench? If so, what are you numbers?
    I always squat and bench, but I haven't deadlifted very frequently (that's probably something I can improve right there!). As far as numbers, I always go for a weight at which I can do 10 reps, so I haven't really tested my max yet. I believe squat has been 170 LBs, and bench has been 135 LBs.

Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I always squat and bench, but I haven't deadlifted very frequently (that's probably something I can improve right there!). As far as numbers, I always go for a weight at which I can do 10 reps, so I haven't really tested my max yet. I believe squat has been 170 LBs, and bench has been 135 LBs.
    While that gives us a little more information, its still not enough to comment effectively on your workout. What other lifts are you doing (list all of them, and their under their corresponding days). Sets and reps for each lift.

As far as porgression, when do you add weight, when do you add reps? Or in other words what is the determining factor as to when to increase reps/weight.

If your sometime increasing reps and other times increasing weight, for what reasons do you choose to increase reps over weight, and increase weight over reps?

DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000) DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000) DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000) DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000) DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000) DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000) DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000) DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000) DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000) DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000) DocColossus is a name known to all. (+5000)

- I've been eating about 3,100 calories a day in a 50-30-20 ratio, five or six meals a day. I average one or two cheat meals a week. Here's a typical day for me:

MEAL ONE
    Oatmeal with zero-calorie sweetener, protein shake w/low-fat milk, banana.
    -----roughly 400 calories-----

MEAL TWO
    Egg whites with ketchup, fruit and spinach smoothie, honey roasted peanuts, dry cereal (different types of Fiber One or Go Lean cereals, etc.)

MEAL THREE
    Turkey sandwich on wheat with BBQ sauce, dry cereal again, maybe some peanuts. Sometimes a soda mix (mostly diet, but with a little regular in there, too).
    -----roughly 500 calories (at most)-----

MEAL FOUR
    Boneless skinless chicken with BBQ sauce, dry cereal again.

MEAL FIVE
    Boneless skinless chicken with BBQ sauce, green beans.
    -----roughly 300 calories-----
    At most you're taking in 2000 calories a day, my best guess based on whatever portion sizes you most likely have at your current bodyweight would be that you're actually probably only consuming MAYBE 1800 calories a day.

Not 3100 calories a day.

I suggest keeping a detailed food journal and counting every last calorie every day for 2 weeks, then read through and average the days intake amounts together, and then you will know how much MORE you NEED to be eating to gain LBM and drop the fat lb's.
    Member: Team Ground Zero.

Eat big, train hard, and GIVE IT HELL.

Check out my other journal at:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/training-logs/1843-doccolossus-aint-nuthin-but-do-training-log.html

Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
    While that gives us a little more information, its still not enough to comment effectively on your workout. What other lifts are you doing (list all of them, and their under their corresponding days). Sets and reps for each lift.

As far as porgression, when do you add weight, when do you add reps? Or in other words what is the determining factor as to when to increase reps/weight.

If your sometime increasing reps and other times increasing weight, for what reasons do you choose to increase reps over weight, and increase weight over reps?
    I'm a little weak in my knowledge of terminology, but here's as close as I can get it:

CHEST and SHOULDERS
    Bench press bar
    2 sets, 10 reps

Incline bench press bar
    2 sets, 10 reps

Decline bench press bar
    2 sets, 10 reps

Pectoral cross (either free weights, cable crossover, or machine)
    4 sets, 10 reps

Overhead shoulder press (either free weights or machine)
    4 sets, 10 reps

Shoulder shrugs (usually free weights)
    3 sets, 10 reps

Then I also do about six other shoulder exercises, mostly with free weights, which I don't know the correct terminology for. I try to hit each part of the shoulders.

LEGS and ABS

Squats (mostly bar, sometimes machine)
    6 sets, 10 reps

Calves (free weights or machine)
    5 sets, 10 reps

Hamstring (machine)
    5 sets, 10 reps

Quadriceps (machine)
    5 sets, 10 reps

Hip abduction/adduction (machine)
    3 of each, 10 reps

Abs (with a medicine ball or a machine)
    5 or 6 sets, 10 reps

Obliques (medicine ball, free weights, or machine)
    5 sets, 10 reps

BACK and ARMS

Lateral pulldown (machine)
    3 sets, 10 reps

Assisted chin-up machine (assorted positions)
    6 sets, 10 reps

Row (machines, assorted positions)
    4 sets, 10 reps

Lower back (free weights or machine)
    5 sets, 10 reps

Biceps (free weights or crossover cable)
    7 sets, 10 reps

Triceps (free weights, dips, or crossover cable)
    8 sets, 10 reps

Forearms (free weights or crossover cable)
    7 sets, 10 reps

Hmmm, that's more sets than I originally estimated.

Usually, I'll aim for 10 reps in a set (except sometimes I'll add a few extra reps for calves or forearms). If I find I can do 12 or more reps easily, I'll bump up the weight, so I basically try to do the highest weight I can get 10 reps on. If I can only do six or seven reps, I'll lower the weight. If I can do more than 12, I'll raise the weight.

Originally Posted by DocColossus View Post
    At most you're taking in 2000 calories a day, my best guess based on whatever portion sizes you most likely have at your current bodyweight would be that you're actually probably only consuming MAYBE 1800 calories a day.

Not 3100 calories a day.

I suggest keeping a detailed food journal and counting every last calorie every day for 2 weeks, then read through and average the days intake amounts together, and then you will know how much MORE you NEED to be eating to gain LBM and drop the fat lb's.
    I've actually kept a strict FitDay account for a few months now, and sure enough, it's always right around 3,100!

I'm just curious, what makes you suspect that I'm only having 1,800-2,000 a day? I have been gaining weight (an average of about .6 lbs or muscle and about .4 lbs of muscle a week).