ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week off or Deload?

Hi all,

I've done a high volume, high frequency program for the past 12 weeks or so. I made great gains on it. Recently I've been lowering volume in favor of increasing intensity, and it's been working well. Training frequency has been a 5-day split, with 3 on/1 off 2 on/1 off. College is about to start in two weeks and I'm probably going to have to stick with high intensity, lower frequency workouts. The past few days, though, I've been feeling way more tired than usual, even though diet and rest are in check. This morning I woke up and my first thought was "I really need a break."

So after a program like this (I gained 30 lbs on bench, 25lbs on overhead, 30 lbs on rows and am still increasing on squat and DL, as I just started doing them after suffering a back problem) should I take a full week off and not even approach the gym? Should I do a low volume, low weight deload for maybe 3 days or so and take 4 days off completely? Or something else?

After this break I will be finishing with 1 more week of high intensity, moderate volume, then going for a 5x5. I've trained pyramid since I started lifting and believe it's time for a linear routine.

Thanks for help and reps will be given.
    Last edited by ChecksandGiggles; 01-04-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

Best Gym Lifts: 585/390/675 440 FS 265 OHP @203 No longer competing

I lift weights for fun

Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ChecksandGiggles View Post
    Hi all,

I've done a high volume, high frequency program for the past 12 weeks or so. I made great gains on it. Recently I've been lowering volume in favor of increasing intensity, and it's been working well. Training frequency has been a 5-day split, with 3 on/1 off 2 on/1 off. College is about to start in two weeks and I'm probably going to have to stick with high intensity, lower frequency workouts. The past few days, though, I've been feeling way more tired than usual, even though diet and rest are in check. This morning I woke up and my first thought was "I really need a break."

So after a program like this (I gained 30 lbs on bench, 25lbs on overhead, 30 lbs on rows and am still increasing on squat and DL, as I just started doing them after suffering a back problem) should I take a full week off and not even approach the gym? Should I do a low volume, low weight deload for maybe 3 days or so and take 4 days off completely? Or something else?

After this break I will be finishing with 1 more week of high intensity, moderate volume, then going for a 5x5. I've trained pyramid since I started lifting and believe it's time for a linear routine.

Thanks for help and reps will be given.
    From what I have read on the forums it depends on the persons response. Some fare better on a lower intensity deload others on by taking a week off.

That being said, I was going to deload the last week of dec (after 12 weeks straight). Some had said they came back weaker after taking a week off.

I ended up taking 10 days off (holidays). My diet went out the window (pretty much ate brownies and Kielbasa). Drank more booze than I had in the previous 6 mos. Lost 2 lbs (maybe water weight?). Took no sups, vits, or fish oil. Played poker all night long every night and barely slept.

Went into the gym for the first time yesterday after knocking back 1/2 dozen stiff drinks the night before. Breezed through my lifts. I had picked up where I left off, but it felt like I was at maybe 80% of prev weight. Will be adding 10lbs next workout.

In theory I think I should have been in bad shape. I will be taking a week off every 8 weeks. Might even have a deload week somewhere in the middle.

I can recommend taking a week off, see how it works for you. Avoid kielbasa, brownies and scotch though. Especially the scotch. I am still slightly nauseaus.

Just my $0.02
    If you work at something really hard...for a long period of time...you'll figure **** out.

kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dharmacootra View Post
    Went into the gym for the first time yesterday after knocking back 1/2 dozen stiff drinks the night before. Breezed through my lifts. I had picked up where I left off, but it felt like I was at maybe 80% of prev weight. Will be adding 10lbs next workout.
    This is the bodies recovery response. In the workouts leading up to the break you were most likely not sufficiently recovered from the prior workout. In the time off, even though you abused yourself to some extent, your body finally fully recovered from the stress of your workouts. Have you read practical programming by Rippetoe and Kilgore? Are you doing full body workouts and increasing weight every workout? This kind of response may mean you have graduated to intermediate status.

Look into Selye's theory and also sports periodization.

-kap
    Grrrrrrrrrrr...

dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you really feel like you need a break then deload for a week. Just do the same rep and set scheme but put the weights at 50% of your 1rm. You can super set your lifts with such light weight and still get a good cardio workout, but your cns will get a break from the heavy stuff.

Don't take time off, I find its much harder to get back into the groove of things when you take long breaks.
    Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139898123&page=240

Veg can't get big lolwut? Mr.Runner's Avatar
    Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just deload 50% or so; it'll keep you in the game but it won't add to your fatigue.
    I only seem like I know what I'm talking about, because I only talk about things that I know about.

"One farmer says to me: 'You cannot live on vegetable foods solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, who with vegetable made bones jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

-Henry David Thoreau

ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks, guys, I'll do a light deload combined with swimming and sauna for 3-4 days, and take complete rest days in between. Repped all of you.
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

Best Gym Lifts: 585/390/675 440 FS 265 OHP @203 No longer competing

I lift weights for fun

Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kaplanfx View Post
    This is the bodies recovery response. In the workouts leading up to the break you were most likely not sufficiently recovered from the prior workout. In the time off, even though you abused yourself to some extent, your body finally fully recovered from the stress of your workouts. Have you read practical programming by Rippetoe and Kilgore? Are you doing full body workouts and increasing weight every workout? This kind of response may mean you have graduated to intermediate status.

Look into Selye's theory and also sports periodization.

-kap
    Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I have been doing SS and been meaning to read Practical Programming. It makes sense that I needed the recovery, I thought the abuse would offset the rest benefits. Dont think I am done with linear progression yet, at least I hope not as I have not reached my lift goals yet. I'll look into Selye's as well.

I checked out your log, I have similar injuries to you and dips are not good for my shoulder as well. That and I am the only person at my gym who does OH press as well. Looks like you have made consistent gains, congrats.

Be well
    If you work at something really hard...for a long period of time...you'll figure **** out.

kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dharmacootra View Post
    I checked out your log, I have similar injuries to you and dips are not good for my shoulder as well. That and I am the only person at my gym who does OH press as well. Looks like you have made consistent gains, congrats.
    Thanks for the comments, my claim is that the dips CAUSE my impingement. I was into weightlifting for a bit about 3 or 4 years ago, and right when I started doing dips the problems in my right shoulder appeared. This time, the problems in my left shoulder appeared right after trying to start doing dips. Anyhow I actually find that overhead presses are less stressful on the joint than bench press. I didn't post my log from yesterday but it was by far my worst day in the gym in a while. I ran out of steam on my squats, and I was having major shoulder problems during the bench. I'm going to reset both about 15-20%

-kap
    Grrrrrrrrrrr...