Thread: shoulder pain

skinnyguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

shoulder pain

hey guys.......i want to ask if this has happened to anyone.

I have been lifting again after time off and have developed weird-like pain in my shoulders. it feels like it is in the joint more than a sore muscle.

I do superset alot and am wondering why I am experiencing this pain in my anterior delts (both arms, more so left).

I noticed in the last 3 weeks, my delts have been to really grow, but now have this pain.

Can bench press/incline/decline on my chest day overtrain the anterior delt?

I usually do chest on mondays and delts on thursdays......

Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Yeah...chest exercises (especially bench pressing type movements) will involve your delts. If it's a really bad pain, then you may want to step back and recover a bit....the deltoid region is pretty delicate and if you over work it, that can lead to more serious problems down the road.

MezzoMorph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rotator cuff problems are quite common. Get em checked, and if it is the rotators, I would say take some time off till they feel better. I know someone who had this injury and still worked out even after the warnings people gave him, he has been out of the gym for about 6 months now.

blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yeah, get it checked out. I have the same problem right now but it is not severe anymore. What happens is people that may look huge may have weak muscles surrounding the anterior rotator cuff. If you stress it out enough, it will slip out of its ball. If it pops and cracks a lot, that is it then. See a doc though. Don't lift to hard if it hurts.

MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKE is a name known to all. (+5000)
    what injury might i be looking at do you guys think? the other day i was playing football and when i threw the football far or hard down the field, my shoulder would hurt. than 2 days later i lifted for my chest and i felt my shoulder hurting a little so i didn't lift as hard and less sets. and than today i tried to toss the football around and i hurts still. anyone have a similar problem and what was the remedy? was it just rest and how long of rest or was surgery needed, etc... thanks for the info as of right now im going to rest it if it doesn't get better in a week for my next chest workout. i might skip shoulders this week. if it doesn't get better im going to get it checked out by the doc in the next few weeks when im on christmas vacation from college
    thanks

jakeh50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Guys check out this article by Dorian. I had the same symptoms you guys had. After following his advice my pain was gone within 3 weeks.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian1.htm
    Practice non-action.
    Work without doing. Taste the tasteless.
    Magnify the small
    increase the few.
    Reward bitterness with care.

jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

? for Dorian

In the article that was linked above...do you suggest working your rotator cuffs with arms on purpose (as opposed to working them with the rest of the shoulder)???

Seems to me that you would want to go ahead and work them along with your Delts while they are warmed up but I'm certainly not the expert.
    "These are the times in our lives that we can die and still survive"

Dorian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can work them any time you want really I just like to work them with the arms . My preference only.

Scotth888 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

shoulder pain

As a rule I tell my client to train without joint pain, in most cases you are aggrevating the injury.

I suggest only doing movements that do not cuase pain or swelling in the area.

Use this as an opportunity to raise the arm volume of training or other body parts that do not conflict with the condition.

You have to be disciplined and wait things out to ensure a complete recovery.

hard to say what the injury is but it sounds like it is deep in the capsule and not a superficial muscular injury.

Get it checked out by someone who can help you rehab, too many doctors make a diagnosis and that is it. so it is like no **** I have a problem, but what I do?

A pt is most likely to provide more rehab help.

Scott

Did you say PT as in personal trainer? maybe ACE certified? hehehehe

my pain is back. and its killing me. can barely move the left shoulder at all. last time it was from military presses, now from bench press. is it me or am i getting these pains during compound movements?

so now its the beginning of the week and i cant lift......this sux....all movements at this point aggravate it.....and i just got off of a lazy week (recovery time)......just to spend another week taking a break.....what to do?

My suggestion is to go see a doctor to have a look see. If it is a torn rotator it could come apart and really leave you with out trianing.. Do you ever stretch this area?also have you used the exercises I outlined?

im gonna go see the doc......if i point my elbows back behind my back arms close to sides, i hear a cracking sound.....anyone know what that could be?

how do you stretch shoulders anyway? i basically have been pulling the arm across the chest which stretches the anterior delt it seems, but thats it......explain how to stretch your shoulders please......please.....

jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

shoulder stretching

To stretch the rotator cuff and shoulders do the following stretches:

Wall or beam stretch = Grab a wall or beam with your hand and then roll into the shoulder and pull. Pull like you are trying to pull out a vein from you hand to your shoulders.

Arm pulls. Just go to a pull up bar and hang. Don't do a pull up, just hang and try to stretch the shoulders. This really helps. You might hear a little snap or so, don't worry about it.

PER: http://members.surfsouth.com/~figarola/should.htm

Hope this helps
    "These are the times in our lives that we can die and still survive"

jakeh50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm telling you bro....i had the cracking sound and all. Actually i think it sounds more like rope when it's pulled really tight. I followed Dorians program for 4 weeks 1 lift 3days a week, 3sets of 10 with light weight, and no i'm pain free. But see a doctor also. Oh and Thanx Dorian, my shoulder was killing me, couldnt bench or hit in football practice. But cracking skulls now....perciate it.....
    Practice non-action.
    Work without doing. Taste the tasteless.
    Magnify the small
    increase the few.
    Reward bitterness with care.

i was just stretching the shoulder, and i do have a loud cracking sound coming from my collarbone on the same side......is this the sound you are referring to?

blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blind527 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    IT IS YOUR ANTERIOR ROTATOR CUFF. THE MUSCLES SURROUDNING IT ARE WEAK, NOT TO MAKE FUN OF YOU BUT I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. THE ACTUAL ROTATOR CUFF IS SLIPPING OUT OF SOCKET THAT IS WHY IT CRACKS. IF YOU MAKE A FIST AND PUT IT IN YOUR PALM AND WRAP Y OUR FINGERS AROUND IT AND MOVE YOUR FIST, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING. YOUR ROTATOR CUFF IS ACTUALLY COMING OUT OF JOINT. I ADVISE YOU DO NOT WORK OUT YOUR SHOULDERS OR BENCH PRESS UNLESS CARE HAS TAKEN PLACE. IF YOU DO BENCHES, DO TOWEL BENCHES BECAUSE REGULAR BENCHES WEARS DOWN AT YOUR ANTERIOR ROTATOR CUFF. LISTEN TO EVERYVBODY ELSE, SEE A DOC. I ADIVISE YOU THAT YOU DO NOT STRETCH IT OUT CONSIDERING YOU WILL BE PUTTING STRESS ON IT, THAT IS WHY IT HURTS. JUST LET IT BE, DO NOT TRY TO CRACK IT, TRUST ME ON THIS ONE.

Sanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry

Make sure you see a practitioner that treats the joint and the muscles. It took you time to develop this problem so be patient with the treatment which can take some time.

true, see a doctor ASAP, if you keep lifting, more tendonitis and slipage you will have, and then the more it will start hurting. It DID take a long time, for people that do bench press a lot, you may look like a pussy but do TOWEL BENCHES!!!! Regular benches pinch and cover your rotator cuff for LIMITED MOVEMENT. Especially for people that play baseball and football (quarterbacks), do not do flat benches, mix up, but do more towel benches.

what is a towel bench?

a towel bench is when you wrap a towel up and put it under your shirt and when you do the bench, only go down to the towel.

awesome.....ill try it. thanks blind527!