Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'10", 175 lbs
    BodyPoints: 999999
    admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) admin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit admin's BodySpace

New "Find A Plan" Section On Bodybuilding.com - Need Your Opinions!

Please check out our new video beginner guides by expert trainers Kris Gethin and Jamie Eason:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/

They are still a work in progress (not all of them are completely finished), but I would love to get your thoughts to help us improve.

These are beginner guides for people that don't know how to get started.

Thanks!

Ryan
    The Bodybuilding.com Mission: To help our visitors reach their health, fitness and appearance goals through information, motivation and supplementation.

Stats: 6'0", 187 lbs
    grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) grumble1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit grumble1's BodySpace
    I just checked out the first couple of videos and pages. A lot of it is motivational, but there's plenty of information in there to get anyone started. It also dispels some broscience that you find around the net and in the gym. Great addition to the site.

That being said, it's got plenty of broscience of its own.
    Last edited by gordonrumble; 01-03-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    GOMAD!

Stats: 5'10", 145 lbs
    KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit KingGee's BodySpace
    Checked some of this stuff out, so far very good! I'm a beginner and i think this will help me out alot. Going to look through the rest of it now..

in haiti, cut is paused Insight's Avatar
    Stats: 5'10", 163 lbs
    Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Insight's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Please check out our new video beginner guides by expert trainers Kris Gethin and Jamie Eason:

They are still a work in progress (not all of them are completely finished), but I would love to get your thoughts to help us improve.

Thanks!

Ryan
    Throw "cursor: hand" in the css entries for when you click on people.

Right now, the cursor is just a pointer, which is confusing as hell. I understand you're using javascript so they aren't actual links, but you can make them appear such with the cursor: hand.

Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Insight has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Also there are few things that I think many in the nutrition forum would disagree with. I clicked on the "fat loss" option for reference.

Your cardio sessions should always be at moderate intensity, which will keep them in the fat-burning zone.
    Pretty sure that isn't true. Yes, it forces you to burn more fat instead of glycogen at first, but that means that the carbs you eat afterward aren't going to be converted to glycogen... and we all know what happens to excess carbs. The point of cardio is to expend energy... which at the end of the day is what burns the fat.

You also emphasize eating "clean", which is another point of contention that I think many would have. What exactly is "clean" food? And why are all of the "clean" foods listed low in fat or high on the GI scale?

Carbohydrates are also important, but the type is critical. You want to have a palm-sized serving of carbohydrates with each meal, which should come from complex sources like whole grains, wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, oats, vegetables, and sweet potatoes
    Your own mods would probably disagree with this. I know Alan Aragon would.

While I'm sure I've just opened the floor for a thread-hijacking debate, this illustrates a point that I realized a long time ago: there is a huge disparity between the information available on the supersite and on the forums.

If you go to the "Losing Fat" forum, stickied there at the top is a post by wave_length stating the only 3 things you need to do to lose weight are to stay 500 under maintenance, get 1g/lb protein a day, and lift regularly. As the post claims, cardio, fat burners, etc are all tools to make the diet easier: it might be easier to create a 500 cal deficit by running 2 miles and eating 300 cals less than not running and eating 500 cals less. Likewise it might be easier to use a fat burner to raise ones BMR rather than just eat less. Things that are listed as irrelevant are meal timing, alcohol, carb/fat ratio, etc.

Then, on this site, in contrast, you see the promoting of eating "clean" vs "dirty" food, timing meals, choosing low GI carbs (which your own mods disagree with) and a ton of other myths that on these forums will get you flamed for believing.

For the record, I've been cutting using the guidelines in the sticky on your own forums, and I've still been losing weight at 1 lb/week. It's probably the best cutting diet I've ever done. It's also much easier than worrying about stuff that scientifically doesn't really matter, like the GI of the bread you eat.

Either way, I always direct people to the forums here because there is such a good litany of information on these forums. The supersite sometimes has info on it that is bogus and imo there's quite a bit of broscience in what you posted.

No hate, but you deserve an honest opinion.

I should add to this that IMO the best source of all around nutritional information on the entire internet right now is the BB.com forums. I have never been able to successfully lose weight until I threw all of the "myths" about carbs/fat/eating "clean"/meal timing/too much cardio/not eating past 8 PM/etc out the window. It wasn't until I came onto the forums that I started to realize that those are useless old wives tales that basically ruin diets for most people by making them worry unnecessarily about stuff that doesn't matter. And the forums are full of educated people willing to back their views up with logical debates and studies... which helps to cut through all of the mess. So far I've lost 13 lbs in the past 3 months and still going.

On the other hand nutritiondata.com says that 5 days of cardio a week is not enough to "be in shape", recommends avoiding fructose, etc. All sorts of dumb **** that does not make logical sense.

It would be nice to see some of the rather revolutionary and "back to basics" ideas that are so prominent on the forums extended out on the site as well. It would likely make diets more successful as well.

After all, what's easier? A diet in which you have to do cardio 6 days a week and restrict foods you like... or a diet in which you do cardio 2 days a week and eat mostly what you want? Many of us have been far more successful with the second approach.

Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Smits is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I like how it's interactive, easy to navigate through and great idea. As a beginner, i'd love soemthing like this.
    On My Way

BodyPoints: 12761
    all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) all pro has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit all pro's BodySpace

Thanks!

Ryan
    "For most of your working sets, choose a weight that you can lift for 10-12 reps. The last 1-2 reps should be extremely difficult, and you should barely be able to squeeze them out.
    This is called training to failure, and it ensures your muscles receive maximum possible force. For optimal results, remember that you have to fail to succeed. For even better development, squeeze the contracted muscle at the top of the lift and hold it for one second."

Say what I bolded in the power lifting section and see what happens.
    You do not have to fail to succeed. Failure leads to more failure, injuries and over training. Success begets success. Can't you get someone who knows what they're talking about to write this up?
    Glenn Pendely, Kelly Baggett , Casey Butts.
    Bodybuilder, n. A weight lifter too weak to be a powerlifter.
    Powerlifter, n. A weight lifter too fat to be a bodybuilder.
    HIT Jedi, n. The fitness equivalent to Al Qaeda, except
    rather than fly planes into buildings, devotees fly
    steaming piles of dogmatic horse**** into your ears
    and down your throat.

Every thing works..........for about 6 weeks.
    Hard gainer = under eater

R.I.P.
    Lynn Larsen
    5/17/86 - 9/14/06
    Bridgeport Ct.

Director:Team Ground Zero grim83's Avatar
    Stats: 5'10", 198 lbs
    grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) grim83 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit grim83's BodySpace
    One thing i believe would have been good to add was an option for strength in the goal section.
    my thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=11891327
    My new site http://sites.google.com/site/grim83/

It isn't that they cant see the solution.
    It is that they cant see the problem.
    -G.K. Chesterton

No training session can be wasted
    by a man who is determined to succeed.
    -Brooks Kubik

Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    "For most of your working sets, choose a weight that you can lift for 10-12 reps. The last 1-2 reps should be extremely difficult, and you should barely be able to squeeze them out.
    This is called training to failure, and it ensures your muscles receive maximum possible force. For optimal results, remember that you have to fail to succeed. For even better development, squeeze the contracted muscle at the top of the lift and hold it for one second."

You do not have to fail to succeed. Failure leads to more failure, injuries and over training. Success begets success. Can't you get someone who knows what they're talking about to write this up?
    Amen. I didn't even see that. After watching the fat loss section I got kind of depressed and gave up

But yeah, it's a great idea and I think it would be very successful, but there is an awful lot of misinformation there. Stuff that's just not true.

This would be awesome if it was basically like redpointfitness.com... which seems to be the direction that it's going in, except the misinformation is killing it. There is misinformation at redpointfitness.com as well though, and also the rest of the internet, so nobody's behind the curve there.

Ironically enough again, however, one of the best if not the single best sources of information about this stuff I have found so far continues to be the BB.com forums, to the detriment of the supersite.

Stats: 5'10", 145 lbs
    KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingGee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit KingGee's BodySpace
    Has the adding muscle section for teenagers got any misinformation?

Stats: 6'0", 145 lbs
    TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000) TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000) TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000) TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000) TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000) TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000) TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000) TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000) TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000) TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000) TapouT11 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit TapouT11's BodySpace
    ive been using this plan for about....3 weeks so far its pretty cool i like it . the next one i might do is the "12 week transformation" thing.

I'll Rest When I'm Dead ironwill2008's Avatar
    Stats: 5'8", 193 lbs
    ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ironwill2008 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ironwill2008's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post

^^^^This. Failure is not a requirement for muscle/strength increase. Progression is the issue that should be stressed.
    No brain, no gain.

You can't out-train bad nutrition.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Workout Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Stats: 6'1", 212 lbs
    BodyPoints: 10
    j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) j13jjs has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit j13jjs's BodySpace

Thanks!

Ryan
    I'll check it out.... IF I see some little green squares in my future, see where I'm going with this? no balls
    brah

***Georgia Crew***
    ** KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE **