Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Official Boating and Fishing Thread

Brought to you by the never-ending Ramble.

Rules? No rules but let's try to stay OT.

Any kind of watercraft; stories, pics, questions, what-have-you.

Any kind of fishing: same deal.

Here's hoping this summer's boating and fishing are off to a great start for you.

To post pics try TinyPics: http://tinypic.com/

then select the entire "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" text and paste it into your message.

_______

I do a some kayak fishing and some powerboating almost all saltwater because I'm right near the pacific coast. Hobie Outback kayak and 20' Key West walkaround.

How about you? How do you get on the water and what's your fishing style/target species?

Tight lines and screaming drags to all.
    Last edited by FlyingV; 06-25-2009 at 02:28 PM.
    http://www.bitegrease.com

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post

Here's hoping this summer's boating and fishing are off to a great start for you.

_______

I do a some kayak fishing and some powerboating almost all saltwater because I'm right near the pacific coast. Hobie Outback kayak and 20' Key West walkaround.

How about you? How do you get on the water and what's your fishing style/target species?

Yeah let's keep this on topic and not a chat thread.
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    As for me, for those of you who don't know...

I fish the Northland and the land of 10,000 lakes...

Species rotates through the seasons... Currently coming out of the Peak of Walleye fishing and into Summer Musky fishing.

My 16' Tracker Pro-V is currently on the Fritz with an electrical gremlin that it won't stop raining long enough for me to properly sort it out.
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    As for me, for those of you who don't know...

I fish the Northland and the land of 10,000 lakes...

Species rotates through the seasons... Currently coming out of the Peak of Walleye fishing and into Summer Musky fishing.

My 16' Tracker Pro-V is currently on the Fritz with an electrical gremlin that it won't stop raining long enough for me to properly sort it out.
    What is your tracker powered with? Electrical gremlins......(shudders) not fun.

Only have a 50 horse 2 Stoke Merc...

When I first bought it I remember thinking... "I'll start out at 50 and a couple of years from now I'll get a 4 stroke 75 horse."

Funny how I didn't account for Windage, Elevation and a tanking economy.

Before I took a minor prop ding she had a top speed of 28... Now it's 23 MPH.

Now here's another often missed question...

What size Anchor do you use?

I go WAY over kill... And I keep a 35 poun Navy (Claw) up front on the Bow (Named Matilda) and a 25 pound Mushroom on the back (Named Bruno.)

Absolutely no anchor winches, just the crew, fueled by anger and their cursing of me for getting such giant anchor that leave them with burning forearms.

BUT... When I want to anchor up on a honey hole... I don't break loose!
    6'4"

As for the electrical... My buddys and I have come to the "Theory" that it's the main power wire of the Bilge pump that is causing the problem... We believe at some point that it suffered a short, and is grounding out into the hull... As whatever the problem is it's eating battery charge like cookie monster at a bag of chips a hoy!

Unfortunately... To trace that line back... it mean tearing apart the rear casting deck... And to take the rear deck off you have to take off the starboard gunnel... And to take off the SB gunnel, you have to move the Main Console... And to move the Main console you have to remove the floor mounts... And to remove the floor mounts, you have to have the patience of a friggin' glacier!

All told, Based on when I installed the GPS system... It's about 6 man hours to get into the bilge/sub floor.

And it's been on and off showers here for the last week, and I no longer have a garage!
    6'4"

OMG man I think at this point I might just cut the bilge power line and splice in a replacement to get me thru the season or at least till I have the time and energy to go deeper. Is that an option? I don't blame you for not wanting to dismantle half the boat.

I think my anchor is abt 25-30 lbs danforth style. Haven't used it yet, though. I also happen to think that heavier is better than lighter with an anchor. But in one of my boating books the author makes the point that it's really the lay of the anchor rode that holds you and not so much the weight of the anchor itself - you want the anchor rode to be nearly horizontal as you're setting into position, so it digs down into the bottom.

But in a small cove or something I can see where letting out 200' or so of line is not do-able and you're going to need to some heavy anchors, period.

50 horse seems fine for a 16 footer, especially a light one. I thought I'd need more power too, 20' boat with a 115 hp. But the boat is very light for what it is, so is the engine and it makes a decent package, handles great , great on gas. The original owner makes a lot of money and I'm sure he could have afforded to repower, but never saw fit to.

My top end is only abt 30 mph but that's plenty fast for what I do, and in the open ocean with swells and chop you don't want to go much faster than that.

OMG man I think at this point I might just cut the bilge power line and splice in a replacement to get me thru the season or at least till I have the time and energy to go deeper. Is that an option? I don't blame you for not wanting to dismantle half the boat.

I think my anchor is abt 25-30 lbs danforth style. Haven't used it yet, though. I also happen to think that heavier is better than lighter with an anchor. But in one of my boating books the author makes the point that it's really the lay of the anchor rode that holds you and not so much the weight of the anchor itself - you want the anchor rode to be nearly horizontal as you're setting into position, so it digs down into the bottom.

But in a small cove or something I can see where letting out 200' or so of line is not do-able and you're going to need to some heavy anchors, period.

50 horse seems fine for a 16 footer, especially a light one. I thought I'd need more power too, 20' boat with a 115 hp. But the boat is very light for what it is, so is the engine and it makes a decent package, handles great , great on gas. The original owner makes a lot of money and I'm sure he could have afforded to repower, but never saw fit to.

My top end is only abt 30 mph but that's plenty fast for what I do, and in the open ocean with swells and chop you don't want to go much faster than that.

Yeah that's a potential back up plan... Just drop $25 on a hand pump. (It's only really critical for storms and big waves etc... (I could also Poor Man's Bilge Pump, but my transom is sealed with only a tiny hatch that's a Pain in the ass to mess around in. And I have nightmare visions of working in that tiny space causing us to lose the boat plug.)

And then there's the question of "What if it's not the bilge" or "What if it's multiple Wires?"

There's still a narrow chance of some other wire being down there and being a fire risk.
    So if it means 2 more weeks without fishing to diagnose all of this... Then C'est La Vie...

There's an outside chance that an In-line fuse burned out in such a way that it is still connected, and the battery just died on it's own...

So I might not HAVE to tear it all apart... I might yet get lucky.

But the way things have been going these days... My luck has dried up and I'm running 100% on cunning!
    6'4"

Yeah Anchor wise... If I'm in the wind, then I have to play the Double or triple the depth game with the anchor rope...

But more often than not, if I'm in the wind... I'm just drift fishing and not using an anchor at all and just putting out the two drift socks to slow myself down.

My primary means is running the trolling motor on a low speed and either trolling, or moving slowly and casting along structure edges.
    6'4"

Yeah Anchor wise... If I'm in the wind, then I have to play the Double or triple the depth game with the anchor rope...

But more often than not, if I'm in the wind... I'm just drift fishing and not using an anchor at all and just putting out the two drift socks to slow myself down.

My primary means is running the trolling motor on a low speed and either trolling, or moving slowly and casting along structure edges.
    Not that you're looking for a new boat, but it strikes me that for that kind of fishing, I bet you'd do great on a Hobie kayak. Pedal drive, totally stealth and no batteries to worry about, ever. They have a new fisherman model that you can stand in, looks sweet.

http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_proangler.html

I could see you in one of these. You get around OK at 5 mph and you cant beat the simplicity of just-throw-it-in-the-truck and go. Plus you get some decent cardio while you're at it. But I notice there arent any Hobie dealers in MN. So much for even a test drive.

MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrGuitar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    crappy cell phone pic, but here is my ride. 1st year with the new honda.

"I've drank enough whiskey to float a battleship around"

storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll post my striper pics all over the bb.com forum

These were caught trolling at Lake Cumberland in KY.

Boat is a 16' Bass Tracker w/ a 25 Mariner...all I need.
    Attached Images
    My current log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158720023&p=1173746753&posted=1#post1173746753

A step backwards is better than a setback.

If this (insert whatever trivial thing that is upsetting me) is the worst thing to happen today, I'm going to have a great day.

storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Our (Dad's) best striper of the year...so far. 36" & 21# I believe.

http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/m...striper003.jpg
    My current log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158720023&p=1173746753&posted=1#post1173746753

If this (insert whatever trivial thing that is upsetting me) is the worst thing to happen today, I'm going to have a great day.

Our best walleye night...night fishing, topwater style.

6 walleye, best about 24".

http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/m...rm1507/021.jpg
    My current log

Originally Posted by psychowolverine View Post
    how far are you from Nashville? LOL
    Close enough...about 2 hrs or so from Bowling Green, KY. Come on up, but be warned, the day before those were caught we fished for 5 hours without even a bite.
    My current log

whats a non resident license cost up there? Straight up 65? or are you east of there?
    3 day NR....$10 . I am all the way east almost to VA, but the trailer on the Lake is East of 65. You would go East about 80 miles on the Cumberland Parkway (just north of Bowling Green) and get off at the Nancy exit...25 minutes from there is where we are located (Jabez).

I thought you were closer to Knoxville and OMT was around Nashville????
    My current log

Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Travis71902 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

To post pics try TinyPics: http://tinypic.com/

then select the entire "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" text and paste it into your message.

_______

What kind of fish do you think live in a private freshwater lagoon on hilton head island south carolina. I've no clue what to bait my hook with...

Originally Posted by Travis71902 View Post
    What kind of fish do you think live in a private freshwater lagoon on hilton head island south carolina. I've no clue what to bait my hook with...
    It all depends on what they stocked it with. Lots of possibilities there, largemouth bass, bluegill, carp, catfish.....

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Boating and fishing, some of my favorite summer subjects. Let's see where do I start, wife's birthday is next weekend and that always kicks off the first water skiing trip of the year which we tend to follow up just about every other weekend until hunting seasons roll around. I've got a Sea Fox Bayfisher 195 which is obviously a fishing boat but it does pretty damn well skiing on the lake too. I really should get a bar to pick the line up out of the water though for the wakeboarders. Sorry this is the only pic I have on hand of the boat, taken headed out duck hunting.

I gotta count my plastic boat too, just a little Ocean Kayak Frenzy that I use to run out the heavy shark baits from the beach. I've tried several different yaks but this one has always been more comfortable handling through the big breakers getting out and coming back in. Well this is the only pic I have of the yak, can't see the nice seat I have hooked up for it and the rod holders in this pic. That truck is pretty much my fishing vehicle too so why not count it...

Shot of my smaller rods and reels. The two larger shark reels are in the corner and I've added several nicer rods and reels to the collection since this pic also. Most of this stuff is for the surf trips, but the spinning reels we don't use for bait rods are used in the freshwater lakes around here.

Homemade surf weights for bigger shark baits, these things stick like glue. I've had to downsize them because I've actually broken 50# mainline trying to get the damn weight off the bottom.

I got lots of random pics...

Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Where do I start? Freshwater - the largest bass we have, mine was 8 -12 I ajahave a couple pics, I want another set of 3 lb yellow perch (the evil evil ex threw them in the garbage), another 8lb smallmouth would be great but my dumb ass kissed him/her on the nose and put him/her back in the water - I had been catching 35lb+ stripe all moning long. The real fish are blurewater. I have a couple - 24ld red snappey. I got a god pic (nothing like my wife would take but a really good one. 115lb yellowfin I have another decent pic. God damn ai Am so glad.

Tommorrow morning I go fo ra multiple nerve blok. I habve an extruded L1-2 major, a Medium extrusded L3-4 with mediun t-2 reciprociprocity in the disc and both sides of the vertebrae. I have a medium L4-5 etrusion with minimall t-2 resound in both the soft and hard tissues.

I have never had any invasive back surgery and I don't want any. The dosc are pushing me to do a multiple disc removal and vertebrae fusion. I will only do that as a last resort. I have had some serious back broplems in the past (long ago) but I beat them with extreme physical therAPY. I hope the block makes life easy enough for me to do so again. I am so tired of being a worm. i have always been a bman and i am having a very hard tymre being a worm agaain. My wife hates me because she has to do everything but wipe my ass. She was such a wonderful wife.

My apologies, I meant. I have a few good pics. I will have to scan them as they are hard copies. I would be happy to. I just need a couple days to do so.

Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Where do I start? Freshwater - the largest bass we have, mine was 8 -12 I ajahave a couple pics, I want another set of 3 lb yellow perch (the evil evil ex threw them in the garbage), another 8lb smallmouth would be great but my dumb ass kissed him/her on the nose and put him/her back in the water - I had been catching 35lb+ stripe all moning long. The real fish are blurewater. I have a couple - 24ld red snappey. I got a god pic (nothing like my wife would take but a really good one. 115lb yellowfin I have another decent pic. God damn ai Am so glad.

Tommorrow morning I go fo ra multiple nerve blok. I habve an extruded L1-2 major, a Medium extrusded L3-4 with mediun t-2 reciprociprocity in the disc and both sides of the vertebrae. I have a medium L4-5 etrusion with minimall t-2 resound in both the soft and hard tissues.

I have never had any invasive back surgery and I don't want any. The dosc are pushing me to do a multiple disc removal and vertebrae fusion. I will only do that as a last resort. I have had some serious back broplems in the past (long ago) but I beat them with extreme physical therAPY. I hope the block makes life easy enough for me to do so again. I am so tired of being a worm. i have always been a bman and i am having a very hard tymre being a worm agaain. My wife hates me because she has to do everything but wipe my ass. She was such a wonderful wife.

My apologies, I meant. I have a few good pics. I will have to scan them as they are hard copies. I would be happy to. I just need a couple days to do so.
    Hey Bro... Sorry to hear about the back surgery...

If you want to talk about it at length with fellow sportsman, feel free to jump the convo over to the Ramble...

*Just trying to do my Modly duty and keep this thread On the Topic of Boating and Fishing... As this section already runs a couple of chat threads.

6'4"

3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
    Close enough...about 2 hrs or so from Bowling Green, KY. Come on up, but be warned, the day before those were caught we fished for 5 hours without even a bite.
    if you guys get together you should let me know. we have a place right outside of bowling green and ill come down, we can have a rambler gatherin.

Im going down today to check out that fourwinns boat. cross your fingers everythign on the motor checks out!
    BA, IFPA, ACE, NSCA CPT, NASM and now --->CSCS<---- woot!

X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Geno,
    I feel for ya.... I had a herniated L4/L5 back in 05' which laid me up for a long time. Caused by a large boom over here and getting my eardrums blown in the process. Anyways, the pinched sciatic nerve pretty much made my left leg useless. I took all kinds of drugs to no avail.... Predisone, Ty 3., Ibu to name a few. The doctors in Landstuhl wanted to operate and I wouldn't let them. The MRI pretty much said it was futile but I talked my way into the injection. The neurosurgeon reluctantly did the injection into the disc. In 3 days I was mobile and could get around. Intense physical therapy, hot/cold packs, ultrasound and exercise started a week later along with the chiropratic visits. It took a long time to fully heal...@ 6 months. Your case may be different but stick w/ PT and a have a POSITIVE attitude. It'll make the process much more bearable... Regards..... X

naw Im just a tad eat of Nashville and work downtown... Im actually right at the Kentucky border now(Portland,Tn/Franklin,Ky)
    Originally Posted by 3kgtjunkie View Post
    if you guys get together you should let me know. we have a place right outside of bowling green and ill come down, we can have a rambler gatherin.

Im going down today to check out that fourwinns boat. cross your fingers everythign on the motor checks out!
    Hey whenever you all want to give it a try let me know. But, I do work many weekends.
    My current log

Time to take the off topic stuff over to the Ramble guys.
    6'4"

Time to take the off topic stuff over to the Ramble guys.
    Inviting fellow bb.com'ers up for a fishing trip is not on topic here?
    My current log

Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
    Inviting fellow bb.com'ers up for a fishing trip is not on topic here?
    Fishing trip is fine... Just the mix of back issues, and extra stuff... Trying to get the On-Topic essence of the thread off on the Right track.

I would also advise you guys for your own good not to post indepth directions and such in the thread itself... (Not that you have, but you guys are getting close, and it is a Public Forum.)

The SOP for any personal contact info you want to share is to PM each other your private E-mail Addys... And E-mail each other.
    6'4"

You can delete my posts from this thread then... thnx
    Edited out specific directions 4U
    6'4"

Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Where do I start? .
    That sucks Geno. But have faith, the body can/will heal almost anything on its own when you take care of it. I'd too leave the fusion surgery as the final resort.

Definitely try to post up some pics and knowledge when you can.

If you havent seen Geno's boat project thread, check it out:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=112712831

Anyone ever changed out an impeller on an outboard? I can't believe I've gotta drop the whole lower unit just to do that, but it looks that way from the manual. Drain the oil out first?

lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lsuchase has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

the fishing has been good of the coast of louisiana