Kris3185 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cardio vs. weight training for a 6 week slim down?

I'm new to this site and wanted some advice. I am going on vacation in a little less than 6 weeks and I need to lose about 10 lbs. I haven't really been exercising regularly in years. I'm wondering if I should just focus on cardio to shed the fat, weight training, or both. I'm looking for the most effective results in the shortest amount of time, because I don't really want to look like a beached whale on vacation. Any advice is appreciated!

CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarliAlice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Kris3185 View Post
    I'm new to this site and wanted some advice. I am going on vacation in a little less than 6 weeks and I need to lose about 10 lbs. I haven't really been exercising regularly in years. I'm wondering if I should just focus on cardio to shed the fat, weight training, or both. I'm looking for the most effective results in the shortest amount of time, because I don't really want to look like a beached whale on vacation. Any advice is appreciated!
    Try boot camp style training, that is how I lost my first 15 pounds and I did it in less than 10 weeks. You have to really watch what you eat. You'll need to be dedicated to both to get this done. Don't do boot camp type training two days in a row though, you're body needs a break. Every other day is fine.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Kris3185 View Post
    How's the diet? This is where you focus needs to be for shedding fat.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    How's the diet? This is where you focus needs to be for shedding fat.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

I typically don't eat that badly- but I started a new job a few months ago and i've been going out to happy hours where I'm drinking and eating bar food. So I'm going to cut that out from now until my trip.

krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krissy_87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll put my two cents worth in and say weights and cardio, particularly if you're not as used to it. You said you haven't been exercising regularly in years so your body should react really good and get a shock so you'll be off to a fantastic start.

Consistency in diet and training are key. Eat good, clean food and eat frequently. Never starve. Gradually introduce changes you can keep up for a lifetime. You'll get to a point where you won't wanna go back.

Best of luck

new heights of badassity summertown74's Avatar
    summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    my two cents is make sure you're tracking the amount of calories you're taking in and make sure thats under your maintenance by at least 200 per day....
    wabi sabi...the art of finding beauty in the imperfections of life.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by summertown74 View Post
    my two cents is make sure you're tracking the amount of calories you're taking in and make sure thats under your maintenance by at least 200 per day....
    If she's looking to drop 10 lbs in 6 weeks, then her deficit will need to be higher...500-600 below her maintenance.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

If she's looking to drop 10 lbs in 6 weeks, then her deficit will need to be higher...500-600 below her maintenance.
    I have never counted calories before- I'm 5'5 and 135lbs if I'm trying to get to 125, how many calories should I be eating?

Also, the day after I posted this I tripped, fell, and tore ligaments in my ankle I will be on crutches for 2 weeks and in a boot for another 4 weeks after that. It was going to be an uphill climb losing 10 lbs in 6 weeks when I could exercise, so now I'm feeling like it's impossible.

I guess I can still do arm exercises but I can't put any weight on my leg. Any other suggestions for exercises that don't use the lower half of your body?

indienomad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indienomad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indienomad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're on crutches, maybe you should be taking it easy and not potentially hurting yourself further trying to lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks just to look good on a vacation (this is a challenging goal, even not on crutches). I know what its like to want to look your best for a special occasion, but you might be putting too much pressure on yourself. I'm sure you look fine - focus on trying to enjoy yourself while you're away regardless of what the scale says.

You can cut out the drinks and the bar food, and watch your calorie count over the next few weeks and will likely drop some water weight and a few pounds that way. Perhaps 5 pounds through diet might be a more reasonable goal, and you can hit the gym when you're out of the boot.

Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiny bit will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Listen to this lady !
    ISSA PT Certified
    TRX Certified
    Keiser Certified
    Health & Nutrition Certified Pima Comm. College
    Arizona State RR Cycling Champion
    Arizona State Hill Climb Cycling Champion
    Instagram: fitbitd