zeeeeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

indian food and bodybuilding

Hi All,

I'm indian and therefore alot of indian food is cooked in the home, can a good diet plan be created from indian food? If so, is it possible to work out the calories etc?

Teach Me How to Dougie asianstyles's Avatar
    asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zeeeeeeeeee View Post
    Hi All,

I'm indian and therefore alot of indian food is cooked in the home, can a good diet plan be created from indian food? If so, is it possible to work out the calories etc?
    With all cuisines, there are healthy foods and not so healthy foods. So I am sure you can make a good diet from Indian food. Watch out from the deep fried dishes and the dishes that are heavy on the cream and butter. Calories from those dishes add up fast.

Edit: You are 134. Are you trying to bulk or cut?
    Not affiliated

Registered User briantsullivan1's Avatar
    briantsullivan1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am American but my pops loves spicy Indian food. I know he makes lots of garbanzo beans with tons of veges, and i throw in brown rice and you have a heavenly meal.

eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    go light on the rice, bread and sauce and you are okay. I love Indian food. I've bought pre-made sauces from Trader Joe's and their garlic naan (which rocks!) and diced up some chicken and made a meal of eat. Just watched portions with the sauce and good to go =)

firasnas is not very helpful. (-500) firasnas is not very helpful. (-500) firasnas is not very helpful. (-500) firasnas is not very helpful. (-500) firasnas is not very helpful. (-500) firasnas is not very helpful. (-500) firasnas is not very helpful. (-500) firasnas is not very helpful. (-500) firasnas is not very helpful. (-500) firasnas is not very helpful. (-500) firasnas is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by eriplex View Post
    go light on the rice, bread and sauce and you are okay. I love Indian food. I've bought pre-made sauces from Trader Joe's and their garlic naan (which rocks!) and diced up some chicken and made a meal of eat. Just watched portions with the sauce and good to go =)
    garlic naan is bomb mmmm, also chicken tica and lamb soo good haha

synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    tandoori chicken.. healthiest and ebst tasting indian food there is.... watch out for the naan breads, normally they use margarines

eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    chicken tikka and naan.....man...do want

veggie vindaloo too!

Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just had some indian food for dinner :P. But yea portion sizes are pretty much what you gotta keep in consideration as well as the sauces & stuff but i mean,if you cook it at home you shouldn't have a hard time at all controlling what goes into the meals.

dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Curry = best bulking food ever.

TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TeenMisc is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by eriplex View Post
    go light on the rice, bread and sauce and you are okay
    what the hell else is there left to eat?

Nvm just saw 1234lbs.

Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chaohinon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can make a halfway decent curry sauce just by pureeing some crushed tomatoes, red chiles, garlic, and corresponding spices. Combine that with chicken, lentils, veggies, serve on a bed of whole grain rice/couscous and OMNOMNOM

watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tell me exactly what indian dishes/meals/recipes you eat.

Just curry bread, Rice etc. might be too weak.

The curry lamb meat would be okay.

Do you use many eggs in the cooking? They are great.
    Last edited by watertoy; 01-01-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    -Roger Stone's on the loose; quislings on the run.
    -of Nolibs "Donald stumped him & everyone else in the race, even Lyin' Ted Cruz!"
    -Donald trump tears a hole,destroys my self esteem... And trump could win it all,my rightful place from birth,dad i've let you down,dub i've made you...hurt
    -Donald for a long time, Donald for a long time, Go tell that syphilis tongued liar
    -Now this nation that I love has fallen under attack,
    Through our DJT,
    we lit up the cucks,
    Like the fourth of July

jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkrokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    are you vegetarian? if so that may be a problem

Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr-Paradox has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ah man, indian food rocks so much. Chicken Vindaloo+Peshwaari Naan and I am in heaven!

youngbey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngbey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngbey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngbey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngbey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngbey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'm indian and from my experience bulking is easy with indian food but cutting is hard. since you weight 134, you probably want to bulk first, just eat lots of the meat curry and rice to go with it. when you cut you will have to change things up

gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gurby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey there im also indian, you should eat dhaal (lentil soup) has decent amount of protien, chapati itself should have quite a lot of carbs i should think?

Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Indian food is high carb, low protein.

lots of use of potato, cheese (paneer) in the cooking.

not good for bodybuilding.

u should get protein supplement...
    F*ck Joe Biden

"Your problem is you spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas. All we had is what we could take and defend." - Lorne Malvo

“I'll do anything usually if there's money involved and little work.” — Daniel Tosh

Chef Crew | NYC Crew | Knee Draggers Crew | Wristwatch Crew

Not content with average queenofswords's Avatar
    queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 View Post
    Indian food is high carb, low protein. lots of use of potato, cheese (paneer) in the cooking. not good for bodybuilding....
    Talk about a generalization. There are plenty of meat dishes in indian cooking, and if u cook it uself, u can control how much protein/carbs go into ur meal. Even besides meat, there are other great sources of protein in indian cooking like lentils in "dhaal" which another post mentioned.
    Enviable Pro bods: Sherlyn Roy; Monica Guerra; Nicole Wilkins- Lee; Rachel Cammon; Jennifer Nicole Lee.

Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by queenofswords View Post
    Talk about a generalization. There are plenty of meat dishes in indian cooking, and if u cook it uself, u can control how much protein/carbs go into ur meal. Even besides meat, there are other great sources of protein in indian cooking like lentils in "dhaal" which another post mentioned.
    This. They have plenty of healthy foods that would fit in a bodybuilding diet. Take some time to actually look at some & you'll realize it.

Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by zeeeeeeeeee View Post
    Hi All,

i tried indian food few times and didnt like it, so idk what you guys have on the menu usually. but if u are indian, you have to be smart and good with calculations, so find out what you need to gain muscles ( how many proteins, carbs, cals ) and then improvise. bb is not cheap sport bc of food at the first place, so you probably wont like that fact
    >> I don't play against a particular team. I play against the idea of losing. ~ ric Daniel Pierre Cantona <<

Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nocturnal310 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    daal? ..r u kiddin me?... 10 bowls of daal = 1 fillet of fish.

no comparison.

u ll consume lots of carbs before u get some proteins...i.e roti (bread), rice and side veggies.

average indian consumes lot more vegetables than meat....its only in north of india that people consume chicken...that too has lot of butter & oil.

ya it does have proteins....but indian food isnt designed for bodybuilding

go talk to some indian family and ask them whats cookin for dinner and u ll know.
    F*ck Joe Biden

"Your problem is you spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas. All we had is what we could take and defend." - Lorne Malvo

“I'll do anything usually if there's money involved and little work.” — Daniel Tosh

Chef Crew | NYC Crew | Knee Draggers Crew | Wristwatch Crew

faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faisji is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Not content with average queenofswords's Avatar
    queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 View Post
    daal? ..r u kiddin me?... 10 bowls of daal = 1 fillet of fish.

no comparison. ya it does have proteins....but indian food isnt designed for bodybuilding.
    err sorry, but what cusine is "designed" for bodybuilding?

Dhaal wouldn't be a high source of protein, but if this thread is about the nutritional merit of indian foods then dhaal is one of a few options, albeit not the highest protein one.
    Enviable Pro bods: Sherlyn Roy; Monica Guerra; Nicole Wilkins- Lee; Rachel Cammon; Jennifer Nicole Lee.

Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm an Indian myself and ours is possibly the worst diet when it comes to bodybuilding. Every god damn dish is loaded with carbs, fats/oils and very minimal protein. You walk into any typical restaurant and there are hardly any good choices for us bodybuilders.

The best bet would be to opt for the Mughlai cuisine (Mughal/Persian influence). I LOVE muslim food. But being a hindu myself, we've been told not to eat cows and all that crap. But fcvk that!.. I eat anything that moves . God.. the street food here is awesome though!..The air is filled with smell of charcoal and beef..The Sheek Kebabs, tandoors and beef rolls are pretty epic. Having said that, I prepare my own meals and when it comes to eating out, I opt for street food. Cheap and loaded with protein. You can get around 200 grams of protein in under a dollar.

If you're an Indian + vegetarian, then well..it sucks to be you. Whey is your best bet to fill out on protein.

EDIT-

err sorry, but what cusine is "designed" for bodybuilding?

Dhaal wouldn't be a high source of protein, but if this thread is about the nutritional merit of indian foods then dhaal is one of a few options, albeit not the highest protein one.
    It's Dal guise, and not dhaal :P

Foreigners
    Last edited by Zody; 01-02-2010 at 11:03 AM.

rogerNick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey guys, howdy? This is Roger and my cousin Linda wants to join some catering institute. Well, she is on educational tour to India and she will be there for next 12 months. She put up in chennai currently and she found one institute to pursue her interest in catering. Now what I wanna know from my indian friends is if it is a good institute to join? if not, you got any recommendations? Thanks guys

Guys, I'm unable to give link to that institute as I have to reach 50 posts to links. Hence added their address in my signature. Please have a look @ it and let me know what you think of it.
    http://www.saiinstitutes.com

viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100) viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100) viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100) viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100) viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100) viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100) viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100) viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100) viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100) viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100) viswa123 is not very well liked. (-100)

indian food and bodybuilding

Most of the body builders and trainers suggest that body building is more than 50% nutrition.