Closed Thread
Page 51 of 340 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 10198
    chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kilgoreklink View Post
    Thats how I understand it and have been working it.
    Cool. Another question while I am at it (especially for you kil since u've been doing it a while), how much mass do you suspect an AVERAGE noob can/will put on while eating at maintenace and will eating at maintenace still help shake the fat while still growing (4 macros)?

In other words, I am at about 18% BF and want to lower it as much as possible while still increasing mass. Should I eat at maintence or clean bulk then cut after 4 macros?

pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ranthal View Post
    People at work have definitely noticed that I'm constantly eating haha. Luckily I have a desk job (engineering) so finding the time isn't much of an issue. Finding the space in my lunch box is a different story. There's never enough space not to mention I've been keeping brown rice, whole wheat pasta, ground turkey/beef I cooked earlier in the week in the fridge at work. Bulking is definitely a whole new experience for me.

So Ryan, question on switching the core lifts. If I for example wanted to go from an incline BP to a flat BP what would be a good way to find the new rep max? I'm thinking of just doing the 5 rep scheme to find my max you describe for flat BP on micro 4 rather than the AMRAP, 1, 1 of incline BP so I don't have to throw any extra days in and interrupt the flow of the workouts since I know the ordering of the training days is one of the key aspects of this program. Thoughts?
    I'm an engineer as well, but definitely not a "desk job". I struggle to find a few minutes away from work to sit and eat a snack. Actually, now that I write this I realize I missed my effing sammich this afternoon, I should go remedy that right now I guess.

I am in the process of switching from incline to flat bench. I did just what you suggest. On my 4th microcycle, instead of doing incline, I just warmed up on flat bench and pretending like I was doing my 4th micro for flat bench instead...I added a few pounds to where my 95% of incline bench would be, cranked out my AMRAP and then did two more sets just like it was my core lift for the day. Worked great.

kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by chunkyfatboy View Post
    Cool. Another question while I am at it (especially for you kil since u've been doing it a while), how much mass do you suspect an AVERAGE noob can/will put on while eating at maintenace and will eating at maintenace still help shake the fat while still growing (4 macros)?

In other words, I am at about 18% BF and want to lower it as much as possible while still increasing mass. Should I eat at maintence or clean bulk then cut after 4 macros?
    Chunky, I dont know if I can help you here. I just started seriously paying attention to training in January. As far as fat loss goes I only have experience with ketogenic diets.
    Atkins specifically. Your body will either burn glucose or fat, glucose from carbs, once you dont eat enough carbs to go on living, your body will go to your fat stores for fuel,
    Fat is 9 cals a gram. I just came off a 20 gram of carbs a day diet and lost about 15lbs in 3 weeks. I was able to gain muscle mass while doing this. I was eating approximately 3000 cals a day. Carb sources were shrooms, peppers, onions, garlic, cauliflour, broccoli and lettuce and vinegar in my own dressing. The cool thing about ketosis is you are burning fat 24 hours a day, while you sleep your burning fat.
    This is just what I do cuz I have done it before, 70lbs 3 years a go in 5 months, I wasnt doing any serious weight lifting then, just one of my patented programs that never got me anywhere.
    Bottom line,I can only tell you my own experience. there are far more experienced guys in this thread to answer your questions. What I know for myself may not apply to you.
    Go Fishin'. The Fish Shall Provide.
    -------------------------------

kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by pezking7p View Post
    I'm an engineer as well, but definitely not a "desk job". I struggle to find a few minutes away from work to sit and eat a snack. Actually, now that I write this I realize I missed my effing sammich this afternoon, I should go remedy that right now I guess.

I am in the process of switching from incline to flat bench. I did just what you suggest. On my 4th microcycle, instead of doing incline, I just warmed up on flat bench and pretending like I was doing my 4th micro for flat bench instead...I added a few pounds to where my 95% of incline bench would be, cranked out my AMRAP and then did two more sets just like it was my core lift for the day. Worked great.
    Thats what I need to do on Friday. I'm switching from incline to flat also. I think I saw Ryans response to you to do this very thing. How much more could you flat than you could incline?

pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thats what I need to do on Friday. I'm switching from incline to flat also. I think I saw Ryans response to you to do this very thing. How much more could you flat than you could incline?
    My estimated 1RM for incline -- Based on my AMRAP from micro #3 -- was 160lb. I warmed up to 155lb on flat bench, then did my AMRAP. I put out 4 reps, which I was happy with. So my estimated 1RM for incline was ~160lb, and on flat bench it was about 175lb. YMMV.

My bench form needs work, though. I just don't feel the explosiveness in this movement, it feels like the lift just has "stages" for me, shoulders, then pecs, then lockout with tris. Need to work on pulling the bar down lower on my chest and keeping wrists in line with my elbows.

m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ryan,

Two days in the gym away from finishing my first macrocycle. I know you can't take a look at my physique and tell me what I need but wondered what you thought about my supplemental lift choices. I'm seeing gains and like the routine I made up thus far but wondered if you could comment on some other ideas?

One thing is that I really like 3 supps every workout - I just have the energy and want to make sure I am thrashed. Thanks!

Core-Back Squat
    DB Lunges
    Single Leg Press
    Single Leg Calves

Core-Weighted Pull Ups
    DB Bent Over Rows
    Wide Grip Pulldowns
    EZ Curl Reverse Curls

Core-Deads
    BB Good Mornings
    Cable Pullthroughs
    DB Shrugs

Core-Weighted Dips
    Standing DB Military Press
    DB Bench
    Cable Pushdowns

Thanks again!

KyleRipsShit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Switched up some Supplement lifts for Lift day for my 2nd Macrocycle.

Looking up Glute Ham Raises

wwwDOTyoutube.com/watch?v=ne_pPfxb-_8&feature=related

^ True warrior. L o L.

Also tried Cable Pullthroughs in place of lying leg curls. Didem at a low weight. I can tell those suckers r gonna be a b**** at a high weight, esp after you're all done w/ everything else n stuff.
    Last edited by KyleRipsShit; 05-11-2010 at 03:02 PM.
    GST:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121353501

m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by KyleRips**** View Post
    Switched up some Supplement lifts for Lift day for my 2nd Macrocycle.

Looking up Glute Ham Raises

wwwDOTyoutube.com/watch?v=ne_pPfxb-_8&feature=related

^ True warrior. L o L.

Also tried Cable Pullthroughs in place of lying leg curls. Didem at a low weight. I can tell those sucks r gonna be a b**** at a high weight, esp after you're all done w/ everything else n stuff.
    Funny you mention pullthroughs - I put up a post in Exercises forum b/c that f-cking move is killer. Like you said, especially after AMRAPping on Deads. I look forward to it every week.

On a Serious Note:

Does anyone else feel lots of energy left and any anxiousness to do Bi n Tri workouts after their Pull day is up? I do. And before I ever started this program I used to do an intense complex on my Tri,Pec,Shoulder (especially Delt) complex. It was a superset of bb skullcrushers, inside grib bb press, and then stand up and do bb upright rows, and bb bicep curls. All w/ the same bb, typically 3 sets, it cuts s*** up!! (although I'll admit that's a bit much for all in one day on top of the normal 1 pull core and 2 pull supps) I am just wondering if I should continue to do it on my pull day or not. I feel its a bit maybe too much for that 1 day, yet that I am lacking in those areas overall in my physique. Any suggestions would help.

I also have adjusted my Press day on my last Macrocycle consisting of:
    BB Press
    1. Incline DB Press
    2. Decline DB Press

to...

BB Press
    1. Dips - Stressing Leaning Forward(first week on new macrocycle had my arms retarded n couldnt doem for a damn so I used a sit down machine of the same motion just a bit under my bodyweight of resistance.. I'm sure I have much to gain from sticking w/ them..)
    2. Close grip BB press (as Ryan suggested to someone else as well on weak bench progression)
    3. Wide Gripped Pushups (as Ryan suggested to someone else as well on weak bench progression)
    GST:

My estimated 1RM for incline -- Based on my AMRAP from micro #3 -- was 160lb. I warmed up to 155lb on flat bench, then did my AMRAP. I put out 4 reps, which I was happy with. So my estimated 1RM for incline was ~160lb, and on flat bench it was about 175lb. YMMV.

My bench form needs work, though. I just don't feel the explosiveness in this movement, it feels like the lift just has "stages" for me, shoulders, then pecs, then lockout with tris. Need to work on pulling the bar down lower on my chest and keeping wrists in line with my elbows.
    The trouble I have most with out of getting progression, not just on this program, but ever since ever was, BenchPress. I just recently like a few weeks ago saw this video, this guy has a few. Very good stuff from him.

wwwDOTyoutubeDOTcom/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0

wwwDOTyoutubeDOTcom/watch?v=krvj3HgYlVc&feature=channel

(gotta have 30 posts to put a link on BB.com... epic fail ... lolz)

... The more I focus on these things, the more I see my form being all over the place and inaccurate and how much more potential I have just on a form-basis. At my gym they don't have the option of scooting it horizontally off of the two platforms that hold the BB, so that is one loss I have by default. But one of the biggest notions that I strive for is that lower back n trap squeeze while driving my heels into the ground. It really helps. Hope you got something out of those/this, I did.
    GST:

cwaranch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started this program today and had my press training with my supplemental lifts being incline db and db military. Looking at this workout it seems easy and nonchalant. This was pretty tough lol. The last set of bench press doing as many reps as possible made my chest burn so much and my supplement lifts were just downright painful in a good way lol i think some good gains are to be had.

ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    does anyone else feel pretty pooped after their core lift?
    I mean after that and my first supplement lift, I find it hard to lift more (for my 2nd supplement) than I did the week prior. I am just tired by then. I'm only halfway through my 2nd macrocycle btw.

So should we be increasing consistently in both the core AND supplement lifts? im doing perfectly fine with core lifts but supplements are not seeing improvement EVERY week. Now im not saying they are'nt improving at all, but I remember Ryan saying we should up the weight every week (or at least biweekly)<--->Note that this applies mainly to my press days-here is the workout I follow:

Core: Incline Press
    S1: BB Push Press
    S2: DB flat press
    S3: CG bench press

so after BB push im pretty exausted.

Also, im really excited to see some serious mass gains after the end of my 2nd macro onwards..this is where you guys have seen mass gains am I correct?

Sorry if im unclear im just rambling on lol.

EDIT:

I hit 180x7 today on my incline bench. But I had my 1RM calculated as 224. I just looked it up and it says I will not be able to put up 1 rep on 224. shiiiiit.
    im bulking so im using the 70, 80, 90, 100 % of 1RM btw.

Also, for those who are interested, here is a fun site to estimate how many reps you can perform with a specified weight based on your current known performance

http://www.weightrainer.net/mrcalc2.html
    Last edited by ababab; 05-11-2010 at 06:21 PM.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wow, lotsa discussion going on in here.

I'll be taking part in it, just not tonight. I'm in need of some catching up on recovery zzzzzzs, so I'm off for the night. Just wanted to pop in and say that I will be getting around to all the questions soon enough.

Lovin the discussion though, its exactly what I want this thread to be about!
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

Originally Posted by ababab View Post
    I mean after that and my first supplement lift, I find it hard to lift more (for my 2nd supplement) than I did the week prior. I am just tired by then. I'm only halfway through my 2nd macrocycle btw.

So should we be increasing consistently in both the core AND supplement lifts? im doing perfectly fine with core lifts but supplements are not seeing improvement EVERY week. Now im not saying they are'nt improving at all, but I remember Ryan saying we should up the weight every week (or at least biweekly)<--->Note that this applies mainly to my press days-here is the workout I follow:

Also, im really excited to see some serious mass gains after the end of my 2nd macro onwards..this is where you guys have seen mass gains am I correct?

EDIT:

I hit 180x7 today on my incline bench. But I had my 1RM calculated as 224. I just looked it up and it says I will not be able to put up 1 rep on 224. shiiiiit.

Also, for those who are interested, here is a fun site to estimate how many reps you can perform with a specified weight based on your current known performance

You shouldnt do supplements to failure. Once in a while wont hurt dont make a habit of it. On Supps, use a weight you can get 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps one week. The next week drop it to 70% of that weight and get 2-3 sets of 15-20 reps. The next week your back to 3-4 sets 8-10 reps. When you can hit 90% of high target reps(30 is 100% of target reps not 24 ((3x10=30)) ), up it 5-10lbs. You dont increase every week if you cant hit the target reps

damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    I love this meal, just had it as a PWO meal actually.

I just had 3 servings cottage cheese, 1 serving of regular yogurt, and 1 serving of greek yogurt.

3 cups all in total.........your mind = blown..........lol. Its really not that hard to eat, seriously. Usually I'll have some oats with it too or some nuts mixed in.

130 grams
    low fat cottage cheese
    2 packets
    stevia natural sweetener
    1/4 cup
    Walden Farms Zero Calorie Syrup
    25 grams
    Heinen's Organic Chunky Peanut Butter
    20 grams
    Scivation Whey Protein Chocolate
    1/3 cup
    Silk unsweetened soy milk
    1/4 cup
    SEASONS CHOICE BERRY BLEND
    10 grams
    General Mills Banana Nut Cheerios

I do this Pre-bed...its absolutely amazing

Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50)

EDIT:

Personally, I consider progression on the core lift to be the only goal. Supplement lift progression is something I've kept track of with this program, but if I increase my core lift for then I really don't mind missing out on increasing my supplement lift.
    Dogs are forever in the push-up position - Mitch Hedberg

ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50) ababab will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You shouldnt do supplements to failure. Once in a while wont hurt dont make a habit of it. On Supps, use a weight you can get 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps one week. The next week drop it to 70% of that weight and get 2-3 sets of 15-20 reps. The next week your back to 3-4 sets 8-10 reps. When you can hit 90% of high target reps(30 is 100% of target reps not 24 ((3x10=30)) ), up it 5-10lbs. You dont increase every week if you cant hit the target reps
    okay this sounds good. Thanks for the helpful input.

Originally Posted by Joelift View Post
    Personally, I consider progression on the core lift to be the only goal. Supplement lift progression is something I've kept track of with this program, but if I increase my core lift for then I really don't mind missing out on increasing my supplement lift.
    yes that's how i've been looking at it. Thanks for helping out.

K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I have to say that this question tells me that you haven't read through the program well enough to understand how it works. There is a scheduled weight increase each week. Its predetermined, so there is no guessing. You increase your core weight by 10% of your 1RM each time you do the lift. You do this 4 times in a row and then reset the system. Read up on the program again and you'll understand it more and more.

i still dont quite understand you core lift overload system.

Cycle 1: 3 sets of 8 reps @ 60-70% of your 1RM. The 3rd set with AMRAP.

Cycle 2: 3 sets of 6 reps @ 70-80% of your 1RM. The 3rd set with AMRAP.

Cycle 3: 3 sets of 4 reps @ 80-90% of your 1RM. The 3rd set with AMRAP.

Cycle 4: 3 sets of 1 rep @ 90-100% of your 1RM. The 3rd set with AMRAP.

AMRAP = As Many Reps As Possible

I personally recommend using a 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% schedule if you are new(1-2 years of serious training) to training.

'You increase your core weight by 10% of your 1RM each time you do the lift. You do this 4 times in a row and then reset the system '

e.g. my bench press is 37.5kgs for 6 reps. so my 1rm is {(6x0.03333)+1} x 37.5kgs, which is 45kgs.

... so then would I be doing:

A)

1st microcycle: 2 sets of 8 reps at 60% of 45kgs + 0% weight, then 1 set AMRAP
    2nd microcycle: 2 sets 6 reps at 70% of 45kgs + 10% weight, 1 set amrap
    3rd microcycle: 1 set amrap 2 sets 4 reps at 80% 45kgs+ 20% weight
    4th microcycle: 1 set amrap. 2 sets 1 rep at 90% 45kgs+ 30% weight

B)or do i just keep the same 1rm for the whole macrocycle, without increasing it by 10% each workout.

e.g.

1stmicrocycle: 2 sets of 8 reps at 60% of 45kgs, 1 set amrap
    2nd microcycle: 2 sets 6 reps at 70% of 45kgs 1 set amrap
    3rd microcycle: 1 set amrap 2 sets 4 reps at 80% 45kgs
    4th microcycle: 1 set amrap. 2 sets 1 rep at 90% 45kgs
    then after the entire macrocycle, do i take average of my week 3 and 4 macrocycles, determine my (new and hopefully better ) 1rm, and start the cycles again?

i hope by clearing this up, i can increase my weights each workout much more effectively.
    Last edited by K-Krakrz; 05-12-2010 at 01:30 AM.

ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

lold as i was reading about that sammich.

i'm in the same boat as you switching incline to flat-sounds like a number of people are, maybe those programs ryan set up? glad to hear that method worked for someone else. i took a couple months off of the flat bench because of a plateau i hit so at this point i'm anxious to hop back on it. excited but want to make sure i do it right.

somebody else mentioned this so thought i'd throw this in too. i am constantly amazed how tired i am after my core lift. the supplement lifts are on average 10 lbs less than i would normally perform those moves on other routines but i feel like i'm getting way more work out of it this way and i love the focus that goes into the core lifts. absolutely love the way this program is pushing me.
    "Adversity is the state in which man mostly easily becomes acquainted with himself."
    Coach John Wooden

_kai_

GST log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=485192061

Originally Posted by K-Krakrz View Post

e.g. my bench press is 37.5kgs for 6 reps. so my 1rm is {(6x0.03333)+1} x 37.5kgs, which is 45kgs.

A)

B)or do i just keep the same 1rm for the whole macrocycle, without increasing it by 10% each workout.

e.g.

then after the entire macrocycle, do i take average of my week 3 and 4 macrocycles, determine my (new and hopefully better ) 1rm, and start the cycles again?

i hope by clearing this up, i can increase my weights each workout much more effectively.
    Kratz, you keep the same 1 rep max for all 4 cycles. The only change from the original way he layed it out is that you do the AMRAP set first on cycles 3 and 4
    If your 1 rep max is 100lbs it would look like this
    60lbs x 8,8,AMRAP
    70lbs x 6,6,AMRAP
    Here is the only change
    80lbs x AMRAP,4,4
    90lbs x AMRAP,1,1
    Then you find out your 1 rep max from your 3rd and 4th cycle using the formula. The average of those two 1 rep maxes is your NEW one rep max for your next cycle.
    Go with Option B

4th Lift 3rd Macro

Kicked ass on my lift day today. I was tired when I started but quickly warmed up and got fired up for my AMRAP set to determine my One Rep Max.
    Went over 300lbs on my max. Another Personal Record accomplished through GST. From here on out every gain will be uncharted territory for me. Here are the numbers on DeadLifts from starting GST through today, the end of my 3rd Macrocycle.
    I must have seriously underestimated my max when I started. 60lb increase for the first macro just seems unrealistic. The rest of the numbers jive though. Makin those noobie gains.
    GST has been bery, bery good to me.
    Thanks for opening my eyes Ryan, and providing the catalyst and motivation for me to become Iron Man.
    Squats are next on the 300lb hit list.
    Here are the squat numbers through 3 macros
    225 Start GST
    250 End of 1st Macro
    262 End of 2nd Macro
    270 End of 3rd Macro

Kicked ass on my lift day today. I was tired when I started but quickly warmed up and got fired up for my AMRAP set to determine my One Rep Max.
    Went over 300lbs on my max. Another Personal Record accomplished through GST. From here on out every gain will be uncharted territory for me. Here are the numbers on DeadLifts from starting GST through today, the end of my 3rd Macrocycle.
    I must have seriously underestimated my max when I started. 60lb increase for the first macro just seems unrealistic. The rest of the numbers jive though. Makin those noobie gains.
    GST has been bery, bery good to me.
    Thanks for opening my eyes Ryan, and providing the catalyst and motivation for me to become Iron Man.
    Squats are next on the 300lb hit list.
    Here are the squat numbers through 3 macros
    225 Start GST
    250 End of 1st Macro
    262 End of 2nd Macro
    270 End of 3rd Macro
    Those are fantastic gain, Klink! I have to say seeing your continued effort and dedication really helps keep me excited. I wonder if you'll make even better gains once you're off keto calorie deficit?

The initial gains could be from extra muscle recruitment. Either the new regimented workout, more focused work, different exercises that you did before...those things I think could cause your CNS to pick up the pace quite a bit.

I'll have my first set of gains tonight and I'll definitely be posting them and getting pumped for my new macrocycle.

FOOD: I upped the yogurt/cottage cheese/blueberries today to 3/4c, 3/4c, and 1c respectively. Bit too much for me to finish in a sitting. I could maybe force it down but don't have the time at work. Maybe I'll grab it at lunch.

cwaranch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow lol did my first workout yesterday am sooo sore lol. Ive never really gotten my shoulders very sore but they are spent today. The workout i did is a few posts up but bench press was my core lift. Also my lats are very sore. Is the bench press supposed to work that area or am I using bad form?

PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cwaranch View Post
    Wow lol did my first workout yesterday am sooo sore lol. Ive never really gotten my shoulders very sore but they are spent today. The workout i did is a few posts up but bench press was my core lift. Also my lats are very sore. Is the bench press supposed to work that area or am I using bad form?
    Your lats are one of the main stabilizing muscles involved during any bench pressing movement. They are usually sore when I bench as well. Nothing to be concerned about.
    Online Training Services available. PM me for details.

thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thjones3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think I'm going to give this a shot. I've never really had a structured plan before. I've always went in with an idea about what body parts I wanted to work and did whatever exercises I felt like doing. I still had a good workout and pretty ok results, but always worried about creating muscle imbalances by missing something.

My biggest problem is sticking it out. I will go hardcore for 3-4 months, then something will happen (holidays, or most recently my daughter's birth) and I just lose my motivation. Then I gain back everything I lost and the cycle continues. Anyways, I am starting a new job on the 24th that has a gym right down the road. I am planning to do GST during lunch. I really enjoy mountain biking on saturday mornings, so I am trying to structure my days to allow me to bike without being dead tired. I am thinking GST on M, T, and TH with biking Sat. What do you think about these days? Here is the exercise routine I chose:

Workout 1: Squat Training
    Core Lift: Leg Press
    Supplement Lift 1: Walking DB Lunge
    Supplement Lift 2: Belt Squat

Workout 2: Pull Training
    Core Lift: Multi Grip Pullup
    Supplement Lift 1: Flat Bench DB Row
    Supplement Lift 2: Close Grip Seated Cable Row

Workout 3: Lift Training
    Core Lift: Conventional BB Deadlift
    Supplement Lift 1: Lying Leg Curl
    Supplement Lift 2: Hyperextension

Workout 4: Press Training
    Core Lift: Incline BB Press
    Supplement Lift 1: Dips
    Supplement Lift 2: Flat DB Press

I'm sure you may ask why I choose leg press over squats. I enjoy it alot more and have never been confident (comfortable) doing squats. I guess I should just man-up and do them, but for the first macrocycle, I will stick to leg pressing.

I'm looking forward to getting back in the gym, it's been too long (~5 months).
    Last edited by thjones3; 05-12-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Those are fantastic gain, Klink! I have to say seeing your continued effort and dedication really helps keep me excited. I wonder if you'll make even better gains once you're off keto calorie deficit?

The initial gains could be from extra muscle recruitment. Either the new regimented workout, more focused work, different exercises that you did before...those things I think could cause your CNS to pick up the pace quite a bit.

I'll have my first set of gains tonight and I'll definitely be posting them and getting pumped for my new macrocycle.

FOOD: I upped the yogurt/cottage cheese/blueberries today to 3/4c, 3/4c, and 1c respectively. Bit too much for me to finish in a sitting. I could maybe force it down but don't have the time at work. Maybe I'll grab it at lunch.
    Thanks Pez
    I went off the very restricted carb diet two days ago. Now I am just trying to eat as clean as possible. I think I will go back to my half cup of oatmeal every other day pre workout. Im probably sitting roughly 40/40/20% Fat/Protein/Carb now. I am still showing trace amounts of ketones on the test strips, so I am still burning some fat for fuel. Fat loss should slow down but not stop. I'd like to get to 190lbs on my 5'9" frame. Still too much insulation around the gut.
    Glad if I can help motivate anyone. I am sure the gains will keep coming as long as I put the time in under the iron, but, I will be happy with even a 5lb gain every Macro. I will be switching to Ryans outline he set up for me with the purchase of the Ebook on Sunday. I am going to not do my last incline press and use that day to find my 1RM for flat bench. I will also throw in the new supps for press day and find my working weights for them.
    I will be looking for you number postings later today.
    Hope your as satisfied with GST as I am. 4 steps forward, 3 steps back,4 forward 3back...................
    This structure is working fantastic for me, always motivated and fired up to get under the iron. I am thinking about contacting Ryan to maybe purchase his nutritional plans also. I seem to do better when told what to do. Just tell me where to push and I can push all day long. When I design things for myself I don't seem to keep as much interest as when a pro lays out something for me. I always like learning new stuff anyway.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ranthal View Post
    On my first macro right now and I'm seeing similar numbers for my AMRAPs on the 60/70/80/90% scheme. Thought I'd take it slow to start and the next macro I'd bump it up to 65/75/85/95%. After hearing I'm not the only one with this experience I'll definitely be increasing.

People at work have definitely noticed that I'm constantly eating haha. Luckily I have a desk job (engineering) so finding the time isn't much of an issue. Finding the space in my lunch box is a different story. There's never enough space not to mention I've been keeping brown rice, whole wheat pasta, ground turkey/beef I cooked earlier in the week in the fridge at work. Bulking is definitely a whole new experience for me.
    Sounds like you need a new lunch box. I use a gym bag for my cooler, no joke.

So Ryan, question on switching the core lifts. If I for example wanted to go from an incline BP to a flat BP what would be a good way to find the new rep max? I'm thinking of just doing the 5 rep scheme to find my max you describe for flat BP on micro 4 rather than the AMRAP, 1, 1 of incline BP so I don't have to throw any extra days in and interrupt the flow of the workouts since I know the ordering of the training days is one of the key aspects of this program. Thoughts?
    If you're going to incorporate a deload week after your macrocycle, just test it during that deload week. However, if you are going to move right into the next macro, which you will be doing I'm sure, your laid out plan is what I would suggest. You're not powerlifting, so its fine if you don't get that last big effort in for incline. Test out your flat instead!

Originally Posted by chunkyfatboy View Post
    I'm assuming just for the core lift as your body will already be warm for the supps?
    I'll warm up plenty for the core lifts as others have described, keeping the reps low. Just remember, warming up is for priming, no fatigueing. You want your systems to realize the kind of weight you're moving, but not become tired from that weight. Trust me, your body and mind do need the warm up, I see it DAILY on clients. The second and third sets are ALWAYS better than the first.
    In terms of supplements, I'll usually hit 1-2 lighter, lower rep warm up sets for each. For example, I get done benching and I have dips next. I'm not just going to jump on the dip bars with 100 extra pounds of weight hanging from me and have at it. I hit a set with bodyweight, then a set with 50lbs, then I go to work.
    It really comes down to learning your body and learning what works for you. Experience will come with time, and you'll know if you need a warm up or not. You'll also know how to perform the warm up without lessening your working set performance.

Grind up dry oats in a blender, dump the oat flour into your shaker, add whey, add water, shake, and drink. Thats a SOLID meal replacement that is cheap, effective, and convenient as anything.

Glad it went well for you. This is a good example of taking the bull by the horns and putting common sense to use for your program.

Originally Posted by m.c View Post
    Ryan,

Two days in the gym away from finishing my first macrocycle. I know you can't take a look at my physique and tell me what I need but wondered what you thought about my supplemental lift choices. I'm seeing gains and like the routine I made up thus far but wondered if you could comment on some other ideas?

One thing is that I really like 3 supps every workout - I just have the energy and want to make sure I am thrashed. Thanks!

Core-Back Squat
    DB Lunges
    Single Leg Press
    Single Leg Calves
    I'd learn from squats personally. Put them in place of the leg press.

Core-Weighted Pull Ups
    DB Bent Over Rows
    Wide Grip Pulldowns
    EZ Curl Reverse Curls
    Ditch the wide grip pulldowns. Read the eBook to find out why

Core-Deads
    BB Good Mornings
    Cable Pullthroughs
    DB Shrugs
    Looks good here, should tax the posterior chain like the federal goverment does to your paycheck.

Core-Weighted Dips
    Standing DB Military Press
    DB Bench
    Cable Pushdowns
    I like that you're doing dips as your core. Prepare for some nice pressing strength.

Thanks again!
    Your welcome buddy.

Originally Posted by KyleRips**** View Post
    On a Serious Note:

Does anyone else feel lots of energy left and any anxiousness to do Bi n Tri workouts after their Pull day is up? I do. And before I ever started this program I used to do an intense complex on my Tri,Pec,Shoulder (especially Delt) complex. It was a superset of bb skullcrushers, inside grib bb press, and then stand up and do bb upright rows, and bb bicep curls. All w/ the same bb, typically 3 sets, it cuts s*** up!! (although I'll admit that's a bit much for all in one day on top of the normal 1 pull core and 2 pull supps) I am just wondering if I should continue to do it on my pull day or not. I feel its a bit maybe too much for that 1 day, yet that I am lacking in those areas overall in my physique. Any suggestions would help.
    Its VERY easy to put together some exercises and hit them hard to make it feel like you trashed your muscles. But, does it have any logic behind it? Here is my take on 'finishers':

"Adding in your own finisher is not recommended. In fact, I’ve been hearing more and more about these so called finisher methods and I’m not sure what the point is. If you are working hard during every set of your workout then a so called finisher is irrelevant.
    Between the core work, supplement work, direct core work, and any weak point training, there is plenty of work being done. Volumes and loads are chosen for a reason. Adding in a finisher can detract from the overall flow and progress of the program. Stick to the plan and let GST work for you."

I also have adjusted my Press day on my last Macrocycle consisting of:
    BB Press
    1. Incline DB Press
    2. Decline DB Press

to...

BB Press
    1. Dips - Stressing Leaning Forward(first week on new macrocycle had my arms retarded n couldnt doem for a damn so I used a sit down machine of the same motion just a bit under my bodyweight of resistance.. I'm sure I have much to gain from sticking w/ them..)
    2. Close grip BB press (as Ryan suggested to someone else as well on weak bench progression)
    3. Wide Gripped Pushups (as Ryan suggested to someone else as well on weak bench progression)
    See Bold.

Originally Posted by cwaranch View Post
    I started this program today and had my press training with my supplemental lifts being incline db and db military. Looking at this workout it seems easy and nonchalant. This was pretty tough lol. The last set of bench press doing as many reps as possible made my chest burn so much and my supplement lifts were just downright painful in a good way lol i think some good gains are to be had.
    Sounds like you did it up right! Three exercises on paper looks weak, but three exercises with the right method in the gym is another animal.

I'd say that you are experiencing this because your lifts are so closely related. You've got 4 pressing movements! You are bound to get exhausted with pressing. If you want to keep things as they are, you'll just have to lift weights that you can handle and realize that you aren't going to be moving the kind of weight that you would if you were fresh for each exercise.

This is where people tend to really start to relate to the program and find that things toughen up. They get more into the zone and more involved in the program. If your nutrition is on point, you'll see mass gains. If you aren't set with your nutrition, you'll likely not change much.

EDIT:

Let the workouts run and see what happens. Consistency and perseverance are HUGE.

See Bold.

Originally Posted by Joelift View Post
    Well said. I do try and increase my supplements with every chance I get, but I am most concerned with my core lifts. Even if you just add another rep to your supplement set, you still moved forward, which is the main point to strive for.

Originally Posted by K-Krakrz View Post

A)

e.g.

This is the way that its done! Use this and you'll be on your way K.

See Bold.

Originally Posted by thjones3 View Post
    I think I'm going to give this a shot. I've never really had a structured plan before. I've always went in with an idea about what body parts I wanted to work and did whatever exercises I felt like doing. I still had a good workout and pretty ok results, but always worried about creating muscle imbalances by missing something.

My biggest problem is sticking it out. I will go hardcore for 3-4 months, then something will happen (holidays, or most recently my daughter's birth) and I just lose my motivation. Then I gain back everything I lost and the cycle continues. Anyways, I am starting a new job on the 24th that has a gym right down the road. I am planning to do GST during lunch. I really enjoy mountain biking on saturday mornings, so I am trying to structure my days to allow me to bike without being dead tired. I am thinking GST on M, T, and TH with biking Sat. What do you think about these days? Here is the exercise routine I chose:

Workout 1: Squat Training
    Core Lift: Leg Press
    Supplement Lift 1: Walking DB Lunge
    Supplement Lift 2: Belt Squat
    Cool belt squats!

Workout 2: Pull Training
    Core Lift: Multi Grip Pullup
    Supplement Lift 1: Flat Bench DB Row
    Supplement Lift 2: Close Grip Seated Cable Row
    Compound movements, my favorite.

Workout 3: Lift Training
    Core Lift: Conventional BB Deadlift
    Supplement Lift 1: Lying Leg Curl
    Supplement Lift 2: Hyperextension
    Any chance of getting another deadlift variation, a pull through, or a good morning as a supplement in place of leg curls? GHRs as well if you can handle them.

Workout 4: Press Training
    Core Lift: Incline BB Press
    Supplement Lift 1: Dips
    Supplement Lift 2: Flat DB Press
    This looks solid as well. Good choices in your routine.

I'm sure you may ask why I choose leg press over squats. I enjoy it alot more and have never been confident (comfortable) doing squats. I guess I should just man-up and do them, but for the first macrocycle, I will stick to leg pressing.
    You could at least have them as a supplement, yes.

I'm looking forward to getting back in the gym, it's been too long (~5 months).
    See Bold.

OK, after the end of my first macrocycle I have some great noob gains to report:

Start/After 1 Cycle
    Weight: 164lb/168lb
    Deadlift: 205lb/255lb
    Incline Bench: 145lb/160lb (160lb is after 3/4 of the cycle, 175lb is my new Flat Bench max)
    Squat: NA/205lb
    Pull Up: 185lb/210lb (210lb is after 3/4 of the cycle, 225lb is my new neutral grip max)

I'd never squatted or deadlifted before this. Also switching incline bench to flat bench, and regular grip pull ups to neutral grip pull ups, so didn't get a chance for to test for the full cycle, but I think it's clear that I've made gains in those areas.

This basically puts me at my strength levels when I was lifting in college, so everything from here on out is PRs, and in reality everything here is a PR because I've never lifted this heavy before.

Looking forward to destroying another macrocycle with my new program. Rawr.

OK, after the end of my first macrocycle I have some great noob gains to report:

Start/After 1 Cycle
    Weight: 164lb/168lb
    Deadlift: 205lb/255lb
    Incline Bench: 145lb/160lb (160lb is after 3/4 of the cycle, 175lb is my new Flat Bench max)
    Squat: NA/205lb
    Pull Up: 185lb/210lb (210lb is after 3/4 of the cycle, 225lb is my new neutral grip max)

I'd never squatted or deadlifted before this. Also switching incline bench to flat bench, and regular grip pull ups to neutral grip pull ups, so didn't get a chance for to test for the full cycle, but I think it's clear that I've made gains in those areas.

This basically puts me at my strength levels when I was lifting in college, so everything from here on out is PRs, and in reality everything here is a PR because I've never lifted this heavy before.

Looking forward to destroying another macrocycle with my new program. Rawr.
    Kick ass numbers Pez. Congrats. Im the same way you are. Everything from here on out is going to be PR, uncharted territory.
    I will find out my 1RM on flat bench Friday. Going to be interesting to see if the inclines and supps helped me there. Before I came across GST I was struggling with 205 on flat bench.

Closed Thread
Page 51 of 340 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 151 ... LastLast