Closed Thread
Page 50 of 340 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 150 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 10198
    2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by m.c View Post
    Can you tell me if I got this one right?

Did my Micro 4 Squat Day today. After warming up I got 7 reps for my AMRAP, which I did as my first set. So... 7 x 0.0333333 = .233 + 1 = 1.233 x 265 = 325 rounded off.

Now on my last Squat Day - Micro 3 - I did 4reps twice and then an AMRAP of 9 at 225pds. Obviously I did that opposite of how the book lays it out but what it is. So if I do the math here = 9 x 0.0333333 = .299 + 1 = 1.299 x 225 = 295.

The average of those two is 325 + 295 /2 = 310. That seem right to you?
    Looks like its gonna be good to me. As long as your math is right, you're good to go.
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tommo777 View Post
    Hey Ive got a question for the creator of this program, I like it alot, I really do. At the moment Ive got a lower/upper split and hit the same body parts once every 4 or 5 days, however, it is hard to maintain the intensity required for big gains within a time frame when a variety of different exercises are needed per workout. This workout allows you to really pummel the specific muscle group to get good growth without fatiguing the synergist muscle groups you will use in the other workouts. Which means the same intensity can be used in every workout? And I can see that you will certainly look massive after each workout.
    However, perfecting a schedule is very difficult. And the main concern I have with this one is that even with a huge amount of intensity I have never found waiting a whole week, or 8/9 days in this case to exercise the same muscle group again to be enough for maximum growth.
    So I dont know whether to change my workout.

:/
    I do hear what you're saying, and it does make sense. What you are missing out on is something that isn't detailed in this thread, which will ease your worries. GST has a method known as weak point training. This weak point training will allow you to work on one specific body part at a time, training it in a different way. The manner that is used in weak point training is too intense to be used on every muscle group, all the time. You'd overtrain quickly and the program would lose its effectiveness. When you think about it, focusing on one part at a time is very logical. You're still hammering everything once per microcycle, but your zeroing in on a specific point on top of the usual GST workouts. This is smart training, not just blasting away at will with no rhyme or reason.

Weak point training, along with more advanced supplement lift methods and direct ab work details are outlined in the eBook.

Originally Posted by m.c View Post
    Just my 2cents but I've done a lot of programs from HST to 5x5 etc, though am FAR from an expert but this plan is the real deal. Trust me - the rest you get on this plan is not great - you need time to recover from these workouts. It's great.
    You will get hit hard, you will appreciate the recovery, and you will grow. This guy's got it!

Originally Posted by kilgoreklink View Post
    Im far from an expert myself. I have never used any other program made by someone who does this for a living. I just threw crap together on my own. I bought a power rack and was looking for some sort of program that I could use to get my moneys worth out of the rack when I stumbled upon this thread shortly after the new year. The logical progression Ryan layed out made complete sense to me so I jumped on it. Just finished my third month(cycle) on my squats. Here are the numbers
    1 Rep Maxes
    Squats
    225 Start GST
    250 End of 1st Macro
    262 End of 2nd Macro
    270 End of 3rd Macro
    Everything is progressing like that except my incline bench. I am one of those guys that doesnt know how to bench, but I am learning and there is progress but not like the other cores. At 47 years old I love the rest days. I also get fired up the evening of the rest day cuz I know I get to get under the iron again in the morning. It is working for me.
    When I got my program down on paper I thought it would be too easy and I would need more. I was wrong. This GST thing is perfect for me. It built my confidence to get under loads that used to scare the **** out of me. Im in it for as long as I can see, its flexible enough to never get bored with it.
    Give it a try for 3 cycles, what have you got too lose? 3 months aint nothin. You can give back the strength you gained if you are unsatisfied.
    Here is my journal link http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post488449201
    if you want to check it out. Search for "GST" in the journal threads, theres plenty of evidence there for you to check out.
    Along with a few others, this guy is one of the most loyal GST followers since I introduced the program to this website. He is right about giving it a few macros though, everyone seems to get into the sweet spot after two macros. You really get to know the program and your body by then, which allows for any following macros to be true weight training with no guessing games. There is ALOT to be said for that type of training. It honestly has to be experienced to be appreciated, and those who are there can feel it.

K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    You'll need to do something that you can do with excellent form, but yet isn't masking another exercise like the Smith would be for you. I recommend barbell lunges to be honest. They will hit the legs hard and will improve on flexibilty and stability. As a second option, you could hit the leg press. I would much rather see you doing lunges though.

Just be patient and realize that this will be your smartest choice in the long run, trust me. I've personally taken a person who couldn't properly squat without any added weight to squatting well with a loaded barbell on their back. Flexibility was their main issue. Spend as much time as possible just sitting in the squat position and you'll come around
    lol i lack the flexibilty to do barbell lunges either- is it ok to do leg press as core lift, db lunges as an assistance+ squats as assistance?

Also, as a beginner, how much weight do you think i can add onto my core lifts every week? I hear all these beginners gaining 5-10lbs on compounds weekly, if not more. I find this impossible- i feel i make progress very slowly, if any at all. Today, i even lost strength... i was benching 37.5 x 4 reps, which was too heavy and i had to go back to 35kgs. Last week i was doing 37.5 x 5-7 reps... makes me confused and angry.

Im eating around 2200 on my training days and 1800 cals on rest days- im 110 pounds. Do you think that i have too little cals to bulk, and it could be affecting my lifts? Because i know i cant gain mass without a calorie surplus, but as a beginner, isnt it possible to gain STRENGTH ( increase my weight on lifts) even if i was on a cutting diet?

tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tommo777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by K-Krakrz View Post
    lol i lack the flexibilty to do barbell lunges either- is it ok to do leg press as core lift, db lunges as an assistance+ squats as assistance?

Also, as a beginner, how much weight do you think i can add onto my core lifts every week? I hear all these beginners gaining 5-10lbs on compounds weekly, if not more. I find this impossible- i feel i make progress very slowly, if any at all. Today, i even lost strength... i was benching 37.5 x 4 reps, which was too heavy and i had to go back to 35kgs. Last week i was doing 37.5 x 5-7 reps... makes me confused and angry.

Im eating around 2200 on my training days and 1800 cals on rest days- im 110 pounds. Do you think that i have too little cals to bulk, and it could be affecting my lifts? Because i know i cant gain mass without a calorie surplus, but as a beginner, isnt it possible to gain STRENGTH ( increase my weight on lifts) even if i was on a cutting diet?
    Arnie always used to say tackle the hardest obstacles rather than avoiding them, Ive got bad flexibility too but i know the solutions.

K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Arnie always used to say tackle the hardest obstacles rather than avoiding them, Ive got bad flexibility too but i know the solutions.
    im doing some squats as assistance to bring up my flexibilty, as Ryan suggested- ill be doing very light weight, and concentrating on form. Ill probably also be adding a stretching routine to my workout.

The whole point of it is to get flexible enough to do proper heavy back squats as a core lift.

He is tackling them in a SMART way. It would not be smart for him to go into heavy squatting when his form is in need of attention. The consequences could take him out of the squat game for months if he were to hurt himself.

Tackling the obstacles is definitely what its all about, just make sure its done tactfully.

Yes, this is OK. You'll be flexible enough in no time. Man, you must really be tight!

I have to say that this question tells me that you haven't read through the program well enough to understand how it works. There is a scheduled weight increase each week. Its predetermined, so there is no guessing. You increase your core weight by 10% of your 1RM each time you do the lift. You do this 4 times in a row and then reset the system. Read up on the program again and you'll understand it more and more.

For being 110, 2200 is a decent amount of food that should have you gaining weight. If you aren't gaining weight though, you know that you should be eating more. Gaining 1-2 pounds per week is as much as you'll want to gain btw. Yes, strength gains come easy when you start lifting, as they stem from neural adaptions and the recruitment of dormant muscle fibers.
    See Bold.

im doing some squats as assistance to bring up my flexibilty, as Ryan suggested- ill be doing very light weight, and concentrating on form. Ill probably also be adding a stretching routine to my workout.

The whole point of it is to get flexible enough to do proper heavy back squats as a core lift.
    Good post.

pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Regarding estimated 1RM...

Last week for my 3rd squat lift I put up 145lbs something like 12 times for an estimated 1RM of 203lb.

Last night I did 165lbs 7 times for an estimated 1RM of 203lbs.

At first, this got me a little disappointed because I really expected to gain another 5-10lbs on my squat this week (unrealistic in the long run, I know I know) Then it got me motivated to lift harder next macrocycle.

Beyond that, though, it made me question my estimates that were made from high-rep numbers. Should I be at all concerned about using estimated 1RM that was made using 8+ reps? For instance on my squat, if I increased the weight to 185, would I even be able to do 3 reps for an estimated 1RM of 203? I guess I'm just concerned that my 1RM's might be 10-15lbs high. Anyone have any thoughts?

damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    4th Lift, 3rd Macro (100%1RM~190lb)

Conventional DL

135-8x w/u
    155-6x w/u Jump DL with cur bar 5x
    185-6x w/u Jump DL with curl bar 4x
    230-4x w/u Jump DL with curl bar 2x
    260-1x w/u Jump DL with curl bar 2x
    290-1x AMRAP
    290-1x w/s
    290-1x w/s

Rack DL

145-20x
    145-20x
    145-20x

BB Good mornings

90-20x
    90-20x
    90-20x

Cable Pull-Through

105-20x
    105-20x
    105-20x

EZ bar Preacher Curls

45-8x
    45-8x
    45-8x

Alternate Hammer curls

45-10x
    45-8x
    45-8x

Final Lift of the 3rd macro. Figuring out my 1RM for the next cycle so i went all out and actually did the max weight 1x. I got a PR at 290lb. Got a question though, is it more advisable to do the AMRAP with a lighter weight then plug it into the formula, or just do as i did and go for the max weight 1x. I guess my question is what is more recommended in determining 1RM? During the DL this morning something interesting happened. I got the "lift" part of the exercise up with decent for for my first set, but as i was lowering the weight, i started getting a weird feeling. Once I set the weight down, my head started to buzz and i got light headed to the point where I had to drop down to one knee and sit there for a minute. My next two sets, were kind of similar but no buzzing and very little light headedness. Any ideas or thoughts on what that might have been all about?

PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by damirk View Post
    4th Lift, 3rd Macro (100%1RM~190lb)

Conventional DL

135-8x w/u
    155-6x w/u Jump DL with cur bar 5x
    185-6x w/u Jump DL with curl bar 4x
    230-4x w/u Jump DL with curl bar 2x
    260-1x w/u Jump DL with curl bar 2x
    290-1x AMRAP
    290-1x w/s
    290-1x w/s

Rack DL

145-20x
    145-20x
    145-20x

BB Good mornings

90-20x
    90-20x
    90-20x

Cable Pull-Through

105-20x
    105-20x
    105-20x

EZ bar Preacher Curls

45-8x
    45-8x
    45-8x

Alternate Hammer curls

45-10x
    45-8x
    45-8x

Final Lift of the 3rd macro. Figuring out my 1RM for the next cycle so i went all out and actually did the max weight 1x. I got a PR at 290lb. Got a question though, is it more advisable to do the AMRAP with a lighter weight then plug it into the formula, or just do as i did and go for the max weight 1x. I guess my question is what is more recommended in determining 1RM? During the DL this morning something interesting happened. I got the "lift" part of the exercise up with decent for for my first set, but as i was lowering the weight, i started getting a weird feeling. Once I set the weight down, my head started to buzz and i got light headed to the point where I had to drop down to one knee and sit there for a minute. My next two sets, were kind of similar but no buzzing and very little light headedness. Any ideas or thoughts on what that might have been all about?
    I think it's quite obvious that using the weight you were able to do for 1 rep as opposed to your AMRAP is the best way to find out your 1 rep max. Afterall 1 rep = 1 rep. In terms of the lightheadedness, that has happened to me in the past. It usually occurs when you aren't breathing properly. Especially when you are maxing out the tendency is to take a deep breath b4 you lift the weight, and then hold it until you lock out, then exhale on the way down. This is incorrect and is in fact quite dangerous. You want to be exhaling as you are lifting the weight up. Make sure you are breathing correctly next time.
    Online Training Services available. PM me for details.

chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ryan,

Quick question on the low intense cardio. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do a 30-60minute high intensity cardio workout?

Received the workout plan btw. Thanks.

pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One of my favorite Protein/Carb meals, which tastes very close to ice cream!
    3 servings 1% cottage cheese
    1 serving flavored yogurt
    Fresh fruit to your liking
    Eating this right now with blueberries and vanilla yogurt. It tastes very good! I mixed it 1:1 on the cottage cheese and yogurt, though. How could you possibly eat 3 servings of cottage cheese (1.5 cups?) and a serving of yogurt (1 cup)?

Still very good, going to be eating this one more often.

PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by pezking7p View Post
    Eating this right now with blueberries and vanilla yogurt. It tastes very good! I mixed it 1:1 on the cottage cheese and yogurt, though. How could you possibly eat 3 servings of cottage cheese (1.5 cups?) and a serving of yogurt (1 cup)?

That's how you get big, by eating big .
    Online Training Services available. PM me for details.

kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000)

Last week for my 3rd squat lift I put up 145lbs something like 12 times for an estimated 1RM of 203lb.

At first, this got me a little disappointed because I really expected to gain another 5-10lbs on my squat this week (unrealistic in the long run, I know I know) Then it got me motivated to lift harder next macrocycle.

Beyond that, though, it made me question my estimates that were made from high-rep numbers. Should I be at all concerned about using estimated 1RM that was made using 8+ reps? For instance on my squat, if I increased the weight to 185, would I even be able to do 3 reps for an estimated 1RM of 203? I guess I'm just concerned that my 1RM's might be 10-15lbs high. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Seems to me that if you can do 90% or your 1RM 7 reps, your not going high on your estimated 1RM. I found that after 3 Macros the numbers started falling into place with what I could actualy lift. I think the further you progress the more correct your estimations will become. The program seems to have a way of removing the inaccuracies on its own. Kind of like the free market, it becomes self correcting. Thats one of the nice suprises I have found with it as I move along.
    Go Fishin'. The Fish Shall Provide.
    -------------------------------

In the book I mention that you can check your maxes weekly if you want, BUT, you can't let them affect your outlook. What matters is the 3rd and 4th microcycles. Also, lower rep numbers with heavier weights more accurately predict your true 1RM, so don't worry about those high rep estimations.

Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post
    I think it's quite obvious that using the weight you were able to do for 1 rep as opposed to your AMRAP is the best way to find out your 1 rep max. Afterall 1 rep = 1 rep. In terms of the lightheadedness, that has happened to me in the past. It usually occurs when you aren't breathing properly. Especially when you are maxing out the tendency is to take a deep breath b4 you lift the weight, and then hold it until you lock out, then exhale on the way down. This is incorrect and is in fact quite dangerous. You want to be exhaling as you are lifting the weight up. Make sure you are breathing correctly next time.
    Good posting right here.

Originally Posted by chunkyfatboy View Post
    Ryan,

Quick question on the low intense cardio. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do a 30-60minute high intensity cardio workout?

Received the workout plan btw. Thanks.
    The reason is due to the fact that I don't want you getting mentally and physically burned out. Intervals take a toll just like any other max effort type of work. You'd have no real rest days if you filled them with interval training.

Your welcome for the plan. Let me know if you're ever interested in our MRP bars like you mentioned. I'll tell you which ones are best for you.

I love this meal, just had it as a PWO meal actually.

I just had 3 servings cottage cheese, 1 serving of regular yogurt, and 1 serving of greek yogurt.

3 cups all in total.........your mind = blown..........lol. Its really not that hard to eat, seriously. Usually I'll have some oats with it too or some nuts mixed in.

Seems to me that if you can do 90% or your 1RM 7 reps, your not going high on your estimated 1RM. I found that after 3 Macros the numbers started falling into place with what I could actualy lift. I think the further you progress the more correct your estimations will become. The program seems to have a way of removing the inaccuracies on its own. Kind of like the free market, it becomes self correcting. Thats one of the nice suprises I have found with it as I move along.
    GST is a monster! Is it possible for a program to think for itself?! That some deep stuff right there

This would definitely be fair, as long as I was working with 90% of my 1RM. I've never done a 1RM estimate for my squat before because I'm just learning. This weight is actually 80% of my 1RM, as estimated by micro's 3 and 4. I was considering doing 70/80/90/100% for this next macrocycle, so that would mean in 2 weeks time I'm supposed to be repping that same weight for 3x6. Not sure I had it in me (but only one way to find out ).

In the book I mention that you can check your maxes weekly if you want, BUT, you can't let them affect your outlook. What matters is the 3rd and 4th microcycles. Also, lower rep numbers with heavier weights more accurately predict your true 1RM, so don't worry about those high rep estimations.
    My 3rd microcycle my AMRAP was 12 reps at 145lb, and my 4th micro was 7 reps at 165lb, both higher than the recommended 4-6 rep range. Like I said, I'm worried my rep range is too high and I'm overestimating my squat max.

I think my solution is just to stick with 65/75/85/95% for this next macrocycle and work hard enough that when I get to 95% I'll destroy it no matter what :P

Finished my cottage cheese/yogurt/fruit concoction. wasn't as hard to eat as I thought but it was about all I wanted at 10:30am. Hard to get optimal times to eat at work, but that's one of my goals for the coming macrocycle.

kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000) kilgoreklink is just really nice. (+1000)
    This would definitely be fair, as long as I was working with 90% of my 1RM. I've never done a 1RM estimate for my squat before because I'm just learning. This weight is actually 80% of my 1RM, as estimated by micro's 3 and 4. I was considering doing 70/80/90/100% for this next macrocycle, so that would mean in 2 weeks time I'm supposed to be repping that same weight for 3x6. Not sure I had it in me (but only one way to find out ).

My 3rd microcycle my AMRAP was 12 reps at 145lb, and my 4th micro was 7 reps at 165lb, both higher than the recommended 4-6 rep range. Like I said, I'm worried my rep range is too high and I'm overestimating my squat max.

I think my solution is just to stick with 65/75/85/95% for this next macrocycle and work hard enough that when I get to 95% I'll destroy it no matter what :P

Finished my cottage cheese/yogurt/fruit concoction. wasn't as hard to eat as I thought but it was about all I wanted at 10:30am. Hard to get optimal times to eat at work, but that's one of my goals for the coming macrocycle.
    I started out with 65%>95% scheme and dropped to 60%>90% after first macro. I realized that no matter what I thought of myself I truly was a beginner at serious training. I am glad I did it. I figure I got 20 or 25 years to get this done, "No hurry, Mate"
    Dont be afraind to drop it 5%. Before you know it, it will be Thanksgiving again and you will have 8 Macros under your belt and feel totally comfortable with your working numbers.

GST is a monster! Is it possible for a program to think for itself?! That some deep stuff right there
    "It's Alive, It's Alive!!!!!!!!"
    Victor Frankenstein

ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

On my first macro right now and I'm seeing similar numbers for my AMRAPs on the 60/70/80/90% scheme. Thought I'd take it slow to start and the next macro I'd bump it up to 65/75/85/95%. After hearing I'm not the only one with this experience I'll definitely be increasing.

People at work have definitely noticed that I'm constantly eating haha. Luckily I have a desk job (engineering) so finding the time isn't much of an issue. Finding the space in my lunch box is a different story. There's never enough space not to mention I've been keeping brown rice, whole wheat pasta, ground turkey/beef I cooked earlier in the week in the fridge at work. Bulking is definitely a whole new experience for me.

So Ryan, question on switching the core lifts. If I for example wanted to go from an incline BP to a flat BP what would be a good way to find the new rep max? I'm thinking of just doing the 5 rep scheme to find my max you describe for flat BP on micro 4 rather than the AMRAP, 1, 1 of incline BP so I don't have to throw any extra days in and interrupt the flow of the workouts since I know the ordering of the training days is one of the key aspects of this program. Thoughts?
    "Adversity is the state in which man mostly easily becomes acquainted with himself."
    Coach John Wooden

_kai_

GST log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=485192061

"It's Alive, It's Alive!!!!!!!!"
    Victor Frankenstein
    All I can ever think of is "PUTTIN' ON DA RITZZ!!!!!"

GST is definitely a monster. It's going to steal your left socks and make noises under your bed.

chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkyfatboy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can someone elaborate on how many sets/reps/weight for the core lift warm-ups? Also are there warm ups for the supp lifts? I understand the primer movements.

ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ranthal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Can someone elaborate on how many sets/reps/weight for the core lift warm-ups? Also are there warm ups for the supp lifts? I understand the primer movements.
    It really varies for each individual so step 1, listen to your body, you're warming up, not aiming for a rep goal and tiring yourself out.

Aside from that there are a couple guidelines I try to follow:
    1. Always start with an empty bar and hit about 10 reps while focusing really hard on form.
    2. Perform about 3-8 warmup sets. This number depends mostly on what weight you are working up to. Lighter weight, less warmup; heavier weight, more warmup.
    3. Never increase more than 50 lbs at a time. Only exception to this is if you might be going from an empty bar to a plate on each side for a heavy lift like deadlift.
    4. Keep the reps small, 6 or less.
    5. I like to work up to the weight I'll be hitting for my working set so the last warmup is typically 1 rep of my working set weight. However if I'm on micro 3 or 4 this isn't always the case since I want to make sure to get the most out of my AMRAP.

Also, you can check my log where I keep track of my warmups if you want to see some actual numbers.
    "Adversity is the state in which man mostly easily becomes acquainted with himself."
    Coach John Wooden

_kai_

GST log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=485192061

Warmups

You want to prime the body and nervous system, but not fatigue them. Perform a minimum of 3 warm up sets in the low rep range to avoid fatigue.

You want to let your body know kind of weight you're planning on lifting, but not fatigue it in doing so. I'll typically stay in the 1-6 rep range for warm ups.

warming up to 225lbs might look like this for most people:

45 by 10, just feeling the exercise here, hence the reason for the higher than 6 rep range.
    95 by 6
    135 by 4
    185 by 2
    210 by 1
    255 by whatever you're planning on lifting.

These numbers aren't set in stone, but that should point you in the right direction.
    From Page 50, Post #1465

Originally Posted by ranthal View Post
    It really varies for each individual so step 1, listen to your body, you're warming up, not aiming for a rep goal and tiring yourself out.

Aside from that there are a couple guidelines I try to follow:
    1. Always start with an empty bar and hit about 10 reps while focusing really hard on form.
    2. Perform about 3-8 warmup sets. This number depends mostly on what weight you are working up to. Lighter weight, less warmup; heavier weight, more warmup.
    3. Never increase more than 50 lbs at a time. Only exception to this is if you might be going from an empty bar to a plate on each side for a heavy lift like deadlift.
    4. Keep the reps small, 6 or less.
    5. I like to work up to the weight I'll be hitting for my working set so the last warmup is typically 1 rep of my working set weight. However if I'm on micro 3 or 4 this isn't always the case since I want to make sure to get the most out of my AMRAP.

Also, you can check my log where I keep track of my warmups if you want to see some actual numbers.
    I'm assuming just for the core lift as your body will already be warm for the supps?

I'm assuming just for the core lift as your body will already be warm for the supps?
    Thats how I understand it and have been working it.

Closed Thread
Page 50 of 340 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 150 ... LastLast