Closed Thread
Page 320 of 340 FirstFirst ... 220 270 310 318 319 320 321 322 330 ... LastLast
Results 9,571 to 9,600 of 10198
    jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been trying to find a new workout program and this looks like the one! Starting tomorrow afternoon

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaggst3r View Post
    I've been trying to find a new workout program and this looks like the one! Starting tomorrow afternoon
    Start it right: www.growthstimulustraining.com/trial.pdf

I don't like to see people jump into the program without setting it up right. Make sure you take the time to research the plan and here is a discount link in case you want to partake in the eBook/Free Program Setup Experience. This is supposed to be for YouTube subscribers, but I'm putting it out to everyone now: www.growthstimulustraining.com/ytdiscount

Enjoy the program!

Ryan
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaggst3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh, thanks man, I'll read through that first. I'll be signing up for the eBook most likely. The paypal site is down at the moment though.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaggst3r View Post
    Oh, thanks man, I'll read through that first. I'll be signing up for the eBook most likely. The paypal site is down at the moment though.
    It is?! Well that's ridiculous...... they must be performing maintenance for a bit. I can get your training questionnaire out to you once Paypal is back up and you've placed your eBook order. Thanks for the support sir,

Ryan

Jonl07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Ryan,

Sorry for the re-post, I am not sure if you will see my post since it was the last post of the previous page. I want to thank you for the endless of information you have provided on this thread. I have created a routine based off the info in this thread and I will highly appreciate it if you can share your opinion on it, and it's overall effectiveness or flaws that you notice. I choose to workout 3x a week. I will follow the 60-70-80-90 Scheme for the core lifts, and the three different rep schemes for the supplement exercises.

Day 1 - Press
    Press Core: BB Bench Press
    Press Supp: Weighted Dips
    Pull Supp: Chin Ups
    Pull Supp: Bent over BB Row
    Pull Supp: Curls
    ABS

Day 2 - SQUAT
    Squat Core: BB Back Squat
    Squat Supp: Leg Press
    Squat Supp: Front Squat
    Squat Supp: Calf raises
    ABS

Day 3- PULL / LIFT
    Lift Core: BB Deadlift
    Pull Supp: Pull ups
    Pull Supp: Curls
    Press Supp: Military Press
    Press Supp: DB or BB Incline Press
    ABS

Thank you.

lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well i finally finished my first macro. gotta say im pretty pleased with the results after only one cycle! here are my before/after 1RM's

Press
    175 to 185

Squat
    210 to 252

Pull
    225 to 235

Lift
    320 to 345

i did 60,70,80 and 90 on my first macro, as suggested. should i go ahead and move up 5%? im going to finish bulking through the next macro.

also i was thinking about switching up one of my ab workouts. on lift day my plan was setup for hanging leg raises. i like doing those, and feel a good burn with them. but on lift day, my hands are shot by the time i get to them. i dont get near as much as i should out of them. my gym has the elbow pads, but they are usually soaked with sweat so i never use them. i suppose i could use the captains/roman chair, but i just wanted to see what you guys thought. i was thinking about doing reverse crunches, since they are also going to work the lower ab region.

one more thing im curious about is on the high rep supp scheme, are you guys shooting for 15 or 20? i can usually(and obviously) get more weight if i aim for 15 reps vs 20. whats the better route? i typically try to get as the higher number of sets as long as time allows. just want to make sure im getting the most out of it.

finally, a big thanks to ryan for setting this up! its a perfect fit, and i feel really good about how its all laid out. looking forward to the future macro cycles.

samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    On all the schemes I shoot for the higher number and if I can get it on all sets then I up the weight next time.
    I will do today what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't!
    will Rep for good advice...

lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefthandedcigs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    kinda how i ran through it too. since the last micro was back to the first supp scheme, i upped the weight. higher weight on all supps. felt good.
    sometimes i catch myself upping the weight after my first working set. good/bad? didnt do it often, but i did a couple times. ie: front squats - first working set was 95x20, but it was easy so i upped to 115 and did 15 for the last 2 sets. probably could have squeezed out a couple more reps on the last 2, but 20 would have been a struggle. i was worn out that day...or at least thats what i wrote down in my notes lol

Registered User charlesworth_21's Avatar
    charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesworth_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey ryan
    thinking of adding some heavy sled pulls as a supplement on squat day
    and some sprints to my lift day, thoughts on this? as i need to improve my speed

harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) harDeath is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post

You've taken a step in the right direction. Have I sent your program to you yet? I don't know your name versus your screen name
    Name is Alex. You emailed me saying you allow yourself a week to make the programs.

samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) samuraimnkey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anyone ever use the bod pod to track progress? I had a session on Wednesday and I'm unsure how accurate it really is. It said I was only 7.5% BF @197lbs. I completed one macro and will have another session done after my 3rd macro is complete to see what my gains were in fat and muscle. I will be posting a pic soon too since my profile one is about 4 months old.
    I will do today what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't!
    will Rep for good advice...

JManeri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Giving it a go

I think I am going to give this workout routine a go. However, I am an ex-college basketball player who has just finished his career 2 weeks ago and have some concerns about the program.

I am not an expert lifter by any means, but I know my way around the gym. I have been doing athletic training since I was a sophomore in high school and put a lot of value in weight-lifting compared to other basketball players. However, lifting has never been the centerpiece of my workout routine as my practices were always much more intense then my lifting sessions. I have also done a lot of football training in the past as I have some family members in the NFL, so I feel like I've seen two sides of the spectrum for weightlifting. This workout compared to what I have done with them and even with my basketball team in college seems a bit...easy(or maybe I should say short?)

Our basketball workouts typically have less sets per exercise then what you mention in your workout here, and are usually focused more on isolation which may be the reason why this workout seems so short compared to what I have been doing in the past. For an ex-athlete like myself, and somebody of my size, will this workout be enough for me to see gains? I was doing 5 or 6 exercises at 2 or 3 sets a piece for reps in the range of 6-10 for my basketball team(it was a 3-day split).

Also, I have only read through the first 3 pages as this thread is huge. Is their any important information I am missing in the other 30 pages that you might want to bring a new-comers attention?

Here is what I plan on doing:

DAY 1
    CORE LIFT: Incline BB Press
    Supplement 1: Flat DB Press
    Supplement 2: Dips

DAY 2
    Core Lift: BB Back Squat
    Supplement 1: Walking DB Lunge
    Supplement 2: Bulgarian Squat

DAY 3
    Core Lift: Chin-Up
    Supplement 1: Close-Grip Seated Cable Row
    Supplement 2: Medium Grip Lat-Pulldown

DAY 4
    Core Lift: Conventional BB Dead-Lift
    Supplement 1: BB RDLs
    Supplement 2: Lying Leg Curls

For Day 1, I was wondering what you would consider as the best supplemental lift for my 2nd option. I am STRONGLY considering doing 3 supplemental lifts for this day instead of your recommended 2. As of now, I am definitely going to do Flat DB Press. For my next exercise, I am torn between choosing dips, military press, and decline bench. Considering the amount of stress I have put on my body in the past being a division 1 athlete, do you think that doing 3 supplemental lifts is OK for someone of my size/experience for this day? I would most likely do Flat DB/Dips/Military Press. Keep in mind, the dips would be body weight dips only, no added weight.

OH..After re-reading this wall of text, I never mentioned how big I am...I am 6'8 240 LBs

dbekoscke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dbekoscke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dbekoscke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dbekoscke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dbekoscke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dbekoscke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dbekoscke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dbekoscke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dbekoscke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dbekoscke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    WOW! Super detailed! Great info

Core Lift Exercise Selection

It is my experience that one must try and keep their body in a state of recovery at all times. Once the body comes out of this state, you are not taking advantage of the benefits of nutrient partitioning and you will begin to fade in your progress.

In order to stay in a state of recovery, you must cause your body enough stress and trauma to initiate and maintain the recovery process for a solid 24-72 hours. This requires intense lifting with heavy loads. It requires controlled movements, focusing on explosiveness through the positive motion and deliberate 'loading of the spring' through the negative motion. Imagine that you're tearing and stretching as you lower the weight and then recoiling from that stretch as you lift the weight.

When choosing your core lifts, you should think about what the body is designed to do. You are designed to press, pull, lift, and squat. You want to use exercises that allow you to overload your body with weight as much as possible.

Press Compound Exercise Selection:
    Flat BB Press
    Incline BB Press
    Decline BB Press
    Military BB Press
    Smith Flat BB Press
    Smith Incline BB Press
    Smith Decline BB Press
    Smith Military BB Press

It is clear to see that the barbell is the weapon of choice here. I have yet to meet anyone that can press the same amount of weight with dumbbells as they can with a barbell. For this reason, the barbell is superior. This doesn't mean you can't use dumbbells in your GST program, it just means you can't use them as part of your core pressing lift.

I have listed smith machine lifts because they are still effective at building strength, while being on the safer side if a spotter is not present. It is a definite possibility that you lift alone. If there isn't a squat rack available to you as a self spotter, then the smith machine is your best bet.

My personal recommendation is the Incline BB Press. This exercise effectively hits the triceps, delts, and pecs while still allowing you to move some heavy poundage.

Squat Compound Exercise Selection:
    BB Back Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
    BB Back Box Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
    BB Front Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
    BB Zercher Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
    Leg Press, (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
    Smith BB Back Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
    Smith BB Back Box Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
    Smith BB Front Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)

Eight lifts, but many more variations when you figure in stance options. I do suggest doing your best to choose a non-smith option with your squats. I feel that balance and stability is important when squatting, and the smith will take away your stimulus to build and improve on those skills.

A movement like a squat is much more 'full body involved' than a simple press, and limiting the squat to a perfectly straight up and down motion isn't as natural as a free stance version.

But, once again, the smith variations are there if you need them due to your personal situation.

Pull Compound Exercise Selection:
    Pull Up (Close or Medium Width Grip)
    Chin Up (Close or Medium Width Grip)
    Multi Grip Pull Up (Medium Grip)
    Bent BB Row
    Self Braced Standing DB Row

All of these pulling movements involve you to stabilize yourself throughout the movement. For example, it would be easy enough to toss in the seated cable row in place of the bent barbell row, but then you lose your self stabilization requirement. You are seated on a bench rather than using your body so support the entire load of the exercise. Remember, maximum stress is the goal with your core lifts!

These exercises are all big compound lifts that require plenty of focus and form. Perform them correctly to reap the benefits!

Lift Compound Exercise Selection:
    Conventional BB Deadlift (Can be performed from a deficit)
    Sumo BB Deadlift (Can be performed from a deficit)
    Rack BB Deadlift from Just Below the Knee
    Romanian BB Deadlift

Selection is slim here due to the nature of the motion. You are simply lifting weight from the floor, aiming to stress the posterior chain to the max. This exercise will more than likely be the one which allows you to stress your body with the heaviest load. Nearly everyone I know can deadlift more than they can squat, pull, or press.

Whichever exercise you choose for your core lift in each category, make sure you are a fan of the exercise and feel confident that you can dominate it on a weekly basis.

Up next, supplement lift selection.......
    DOIN' WORK!!!

benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) benchpress79 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

looking good mate :)

Happy New Year!

I was inclined to put this thread into the workout journals section, but I feel that it is more suitable for the workout programs section. I'm going to be posting up some information on my GST program that I use for trainees looking to ramp up their strength levels and gain size as well. I've seen numerous male and female trainees increase their strength levels while continuously adding to their bodyweight with new muscle.

This is a fun, detailed, and educating program that provides you the opportunity to set some type of personal record with every workout. You'll be able to stay in this program mentally, which is a major positive when training!

I'm going to start out with the general layout of the program. I am a firm believer in training systematically, using guided numbers and percentages to stay on track and prolong progress. Therefore, you will hear me talking about 1 rep maxes, estimated maxes, and percentages of those max lifts.

I believe that in order to prolong success, one must not come close to burning out! The closer you get to burnout, the quicker your progress timeline will come to an end. GST is not a high volume routine, and it is not for those looking to hit the weights on a daily basis.

The program runs on a 4 workout cycle. Each workout focuses on a core lift, which is a compound lift. I will never tell anyone to put the majority of their gym time into isolation movements. That is simply not how its done when you have strength and size in mind. As the program progresses, the intensity works up on the core lift, while the reps work their way down. This isn't revolutionary, but it works, so I'm not going to try and come up with something that sounds fancier, but doesn't provide long term progression.

There are two to three supplement lifts that follow the main core lift. These lifts can be varied as well, just not week to week. Once you choose your supplement lifts, you will be sticking with them for the duration of a minimum of one program cycle. Your sets and reps will vary on these lefts on a biweekly basis. I have experienced myself, and seen the benefits of set/rep scheme variation on others. Alternating through multiple set/rep schemes increases your progression timeline almost indefinitely. This is a concept that I include in nearly all of my programs, because I see it's benefits on a daily basis in my training sessions.

In terms of the core lift, when focusing on a certain movement for a prolonged period of time, you better believe in that movement. You better like doing it, and you better feel good about your execution of that movement. For those reasons, the selection of core lifts is not limited to one per area of the body. As an example, you are not stuck with barbell back squats. You may choose from multiple squat movements such as front squats, back squats, zercher squats, box squats, or even leg press or lunges if you are just not confident with your squats. You'll notice that these are all compound lower body movements. You won't see anything like leg extensions or leg curls in that list......they just don't belong.

I'll be outlining more program concepts shortly, including exercise choice, program layout, workout scheduling, and other necessities to execute this program.

Stay tuned and feel free to let the questions fly!

seems like a great training program thanks !!!!!!!!

Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hockey2005 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I read the GST eBook, but couldn't find the answer to my question which is.. What should rest time be for supplement lifts when doing a heavy/medium or light week? I remember seeing 1-2 minutes for supplement lifts, but does this apply to each micro? I was thinking it might be less if its a lighter week, like 30 sec - 1 minute rest and maybe 2-3minutes on heavy micro cycles.

rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    IIRC he never stressed a certain amount of rest time but did say that he likes to rest until he feels about 90% recovered.

Registered User musclebound2012's Avatar
    musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclebound2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My set up

Day 1
    Flat bench 3x6 core
    Incline barbel press 3x15
    Decline press 3x12-15
    Dips substitute with decline alternate week as I have delt injury
    Flys 3x12-15

So if I include military press which is my fav delt exercise followed by Arnold press supplementary 3x15, I find this is too many pressing movements for 1 day and I would like to do shoulders with
    something else eg some other body part
    without being overtrained any suggestion.

I also find no matter how hard I train once a week chest ain't doing it for me and I lose strength I have to train twice or atleast with 2 full day rest then hit chest again this way I always found to feel lot stronger.

I want to sign up for your ebook but link here produces some PayPal site error.

I have been working out for 8 yrs but solidly for 3 yrs sadly I have acquired shoulder injuries over the yrs with wrong training and ego peer pressure

Sites like this or info like here never existed 10 yrs back or so I just learnt from others in my gym some good and some very bad since I am more
    wiser now lol taking time and slow progress is the way to go with body building. I will never push myself 100% of 1rmax as I think this can promote injury so stick with 90% of 1rmax for now.

Cheers

Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zugu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Edit....nvm.
    Last edited by Zugu; 04-06-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Originally Posted by charlesworth_21 View Post
    hey ryan
    thinking of adding some heavy sled pulls as a supplement on squat day
    and some sprints to my lift day, thoughts on this? as i need to improve my speed
    Those two activities fall more into the Athletic Conditioning category and you could certainly do them as part of an off day conditioning regimen. If you had to add them into a lifting day though, I'd add the sled pulls facing away from the sled into lift day, sled pulls facing the sled into squat day, and sprints into either lift of squat day (more likely lift day as you'll be hitting your hams and glutes hard with them).

Originally Posted by samuraimnkey View Post
    Anyone ever use the bod pod to track progress? I had a session on Wednesday and I'm unsure how accurate it really is. It said I was only 7.5% BF @197lbs. I completed one macro and will have another session done after my 3rd macro is complete to see what my gains were in fat and muscle. I will be posting a pic soon too since my profile one is about 4 months old.
    I have not, but I'm not really a big advocate of stressing over body fat percentage. I've done a detailed cut where I took measurements once in my life, and that's all I really needed to know I was on the right path. For me, it's how the clothes fit and how many veins are showing Also, how many stares I get at the gym when I'm working out.

Judging by your profile pic, you're lean, I'll just say that.

Originally Posted by JManeri View Post
    I think I am going to give this workout routine a go. However, I am an ex-college basketball player who has just finished his career 2 weeks ago and have some concerns about the program.

I am not an expert lifter by any means, but I know my way around the gym. I have been doing athletic training since I was a sophomore in high school and put a lot of value in weight-lifting compared to other basketball players. However, lifting has never been the centerpiece of my workout routine as my practices were always much more intense then my lifting sessions. I have also done a lot of football training in the past as I have some family members in the NFL, so I feel like I've seen two sides of the spectrum for weightlifting. This workout compared to what I have done with them and even with my basketball team in college seems a bit...easy(or maybe I should say short?)
    Sounds like you're genetically gifted......you bastard.

Our basketball workouts typically have less sets per exercise then what you mention in your workout here, and are usually focused more on isolation which may be the reason why this workout seems so short compared to what I have been doing in the past. For an ex-athlete like myself, and somebody of my size, will this workout be enough for me to see gains? I was doing 5 or 6 exercises at 2 or 3 sets a piece for reps in the range of 6-10 for my basketball team(it was a 3-day split).
    You'll make progress with GST, ESPECIALLY since you haven't done something like it in the past. I'm not sure why your coach had you doing isolation exercises as sport specific training though. Oh well, that time is past now and it really doesn't matter.....that just doesn't make much sense.

Also, I have only read through the first 3 pages as this thread is huge. Is their any important information I am missing in the other 30 pages that you might want to bring a new-comers attention?
    Your most efficient choice is to pick up your copy of Growth Stimulus Training from the GST website, www.growthstimulustraining.com. By doing this, you'll also get in direct contact with me and we will put together a personal program for you as part of your eBook package. This is how you make the most of GST, plain and simple.

Here is what I plan on doing:

DAY 1
    CORE LIFT: Incline BB Press
    Supplement 1: Flat DB Press
    Supplement 2: Dips

DAY 2
    Core Lift: BB Back Squat
    Supplement 1: Walking DB Lunge
    Supplement 2: Bulgarian Squat

DAY 3
    Core Lift: Chin-Up
    Supplement 1: Close-Grip Seated Cable Row
    Supplement 2: Medium Grip Lat-Pulldown

DAY 4
    Core Lift: Conventional BB Dead-Lift
    Supplement 1: BB RDLs
    Supplement 2: Lying Leg Curls
    You definitely aren't scared to tackle the demanding lifts, I can say that with certainty. If you're up for a bigger challenge on lift day, throw in a shrug at the top of each RDL rep. Everything looks good so far, basic, but good. It's basic because you simply don't know any better, as you're only going off the thread's explanation. The thread lays out the basics, the eBook lays out the true program

For Day 1, I was wondering what you would consider as the best supplemental lift for my 2nd option. I am STRONGLY considering doing 3 supplemental lifts for this day instead of your recommended 2. As of now, I am definitely going to do Flat DB Press. For my next exercise, I am torn between choosing dips, military press, and decline bench. Considering the amount of stress I have put on my body in the past being a division 1 athlete, do you think that doing 3 supplemental lifts is OK for someone of my size/experience for this day? I would most likely do Flat DB/Dips/Military Press. Keep in mind, the dips would be body weight dips only, no added weight.
    Actually, the dips won't just be bodyweight, as you'll be required to perform different loads during different micro cycles. As far as a third supplement lift goes, military press is great if you have a desire to really target the shoulders. Declines are great if you really want to focus in on the triceps. It's all up to what you want, which is why I give out free program designs to my supporters......GST is very individualized when used to the max.

OH..After re-reading this wall of text, I never mentioned how big I am...I am 6'8 240 LBs
    6 8 is massive, but you could easily be weighing in at more than 240lbs if size is your goal. I'm 210 right now and you're 8 inches taller than me! They say 10lbs for every inch or so, so if you wanted to get bigger, expect a weight of 275-300 in the future...muscle of course.
    Thanks for the detailed post sir, and feel free to contact me directly at ryan@growthstimulustraining.com with any further questions or concerns.

Ryan

Originally Posted by Hockey2005 View Post
    I read the GST eBook, but couldn't find the answer to my question which is.. What should rest time be for supplement lifts when doing a heavy/medium or light week? I remember seeing 1-2 minutes for supplement lifts, but does this apply to each micro? I was thinking it might be less if its a lighter week, like 30 sec - 1 minute rest and maybe 2-3minutes on heavy micro cycles.
    To keep this simple, I recommend anywhere between 1-5 minutes rest between sets. As the weight being lifted increases, I find that rest time increases. In a nutshell, go when you feel strong and ready, but don't take excessive rest periods.

Originally Posted by musclebound2012 View Post
    Day 1
    Flat bench 3x6 core
    Incline barbel press 3x15
    Decline press 3x12-15
    Dips substitute with decline alternate week as I have delt injury
    Flys 3x12-15

So if I include military press which is my fav delt exercise followed by Arnold press supplementary 3x15, I find this is too many pressing movements for 1 day and I would like to do shoulders with
    something else eg some other body part without being overtrained any suggestion.
    If you have shoulders that are a weak point, then emily the GST weak point training principles on them. If not, don't worry about doing that many pressing movements. Hit them hard through a direct supplement lift and indirectly through your other press day lifts. Pull day will also hit the rear delta hard to polish them off and keep them balanced.

I also find no matter how hard I train once a week chest ain't doing it for me and I lose strength I have to train twice or atleast with 2 full day rest then hit chest again this way I always found to feel lot stronger.

I want to sign up for your ebook but link here produces some PayPal site error.
    There should be no errors if you visit www.growthstimulustraining.com and click on the giant eBook banner. I'm not sure what link you were talking about, but the site should be just fine. I'd be very appreciative if you supported GST through an eBook purchase, and I can then design the specialized program you're looking for as well.

I have been working out for 8 yrs but solidly for 3 yrs sadly I have acquired shoulder injuries over the yrs with wrong training and ego peer pressure
    Those two things are responsible for many injuries........ The GST motto is Train Hard. Train Smart. Grow! You ready to do this?

Sites like this or info like here never existed 10 yrs back or so I just learnt from others in my gym some good and some very bad since I am more wiser now lol taking time and slow progress is the way to go with body building. I will never push myself 100% of 1rmax as I think this can promote injury so stick with 90% of 1rmax for now.
    You're correct. There really is no reason to truly max out unless you're competing in a powerlifting competition. It isn't something that should be done on a regular basis or held with high importance. I agree with you completely.

Cheers
    Thanks for the post, and I hope we can resolve this error issue ASAP. Just like I mentioned to the guy above you, feel free to email me directly at ryan@growthstimulustraining.com

A Few Videos Worth Watching

I've been doing some 'Your Question, My Answer' videos lately. If you have a question, I might just answer it on video!

ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am for sure doing this workout today. Tired of being small.
    💣 Squad
    I don't even lift
    Aware

Originally Posted by ColtonVTECs View Post
    I am for sure doing this workout today. Tired of being small.
    Along with a training program, you need to employ a nutrition approach as well. What approach are you taking nutritionally right now? Being small is something that can be cured with a caloric surplus AND a training program.

You said you're doing this today, so make sure to start it correctly: www.growthstimulustraining.com/trial.pdf

Read through that eBook and do things right!

Thanks for posting,

Ryan

Rep Range Series - Installment One - High Rep Benefits

PS, I think the video thumbnail is hilarious/creepy, haha.

'Pre-exhausting a muscle' will only hinder the performance of that muscle during the compound exercises that matter the most. Studies back this claim, as well as logical thinking and common sense.

The next time you hear someone talking about 'pre-exhausting a muscle' for improved activation of that muscle, take comfort in the fact that you know the truth.

Here is an example of one of the studies I'm talking about:
    http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...ise_on.32.aspx

Here is the main point of the study: Our findings do not support the popular belief of weight trainers that performing pre-exhaustion exercise is more effective in order to enhance muscle activity compared with regular weight training. Conversely, pre-exhaustion exercise may have disadvantageous effects on performance, such as decreased muscle activity and reduction in strength, during multijoint exercise.

Thanks to BB.com username ironwill2008 for supplying the link!

qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I think if you want to target your biceps today, it's better to add some compound exercise like close grip chin up with Isolate exercise with biceps as a pre exhausting training. Correct me if I'm wrong
    Last edited by qoohhlt; 04-07-2012 at 10:13 PM.

ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColtonVTECs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Along with a training program, you need to employ a nutrition approach as well. What approach are you taking nutritionally right now? Being small is something that can be cured with a caloric surplus AND a training program.

You said you're doing this today, so make sure to start it correctly: growthstimulustraining.com/trial.pdf

Read through that eBook and do things right!

Thanks for posting,

Ryan
    I'm reading a lot from that site, and about the post of "pre-exhausting" your muscles. Right now I eat mostly grilled chicken, lots of raw veggies, protein shakes, and berries.

I did the squat day workout yesterday, and because I was in sort of a rush already once I saw that post, I kind of skimmed through it. I didn't write down my plan, but from what I read I did what I remembered and so far I like this workout. Today since I've read through it, I think I will do a lot better job implementing this into my routine . Appreciate the good info and fast response. I have a lot of your links bookmarked to read and refer to.
    💣 Squad
    I don't even lift
    Aware

elmerwelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for posting this link. I have recently switched to a routine that utilizes the pre-exhaust method. My muscles have a "good soreness" to them (especially quads). Having become "stale" or" plateaued" I had planned on using this technique for the next 6 weeks. After reading your link, I am wondering if I should shorten this span to 2-3 weeks for a shock. What is your opinion/ Thanx in advance.
    Get Big, Get Lean, Get Healthy

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body-transformation-a-veterans-battleground.html

Originally Posted by ColtonVTECs View Post
    I'm reading a lot from that site, and about the post of "pre-exhausting" your muscles. Right now I eat mostly grilled chicken, lots of raw veggies, protein shakes, and berries.

I did the squat day workout yesterday, and because I was in sort of a rush already once I saw that post, I kind of skimmed through it. I didn't write down my plan, but from what I read I did what I remembered and so far I like this workout. Today since I've read through it, I think I will do a lot better job implementing this into my routine . Appreciate the good info and fast response. I have a lot of your links bookmarked to read and refer to.
    Thanks for checking out Micro 0 and letting me know you're impressed with my work. When you're ready to get real serious about GST, get in touch and we can get started on your custom program design as part of your complete eBook investment. Look around and you'll see many people who have taken that route on this site. When you're up for joining the crew, get in contact!

Thanks again,

Ryan

Originally Posted by elmerwelling View Post
    Thanks for posting this link. I have recently switched to a routine that utilizes the pre-exhaust method. My muscles have a "good soreness" to them (especially quads). Having become "stale" or" plateaued" I had planned on using this technique for the next 6 weeks. After reading your link, I am wondering if I should shorten this span to 2-3 weeks for a shock. What is your opinion/ Thanx in advance.
    I wouldn't implement it at all, as 'shocks' are a gimmick. I can say that I've NEVER implemented a pre-exhaust set once in my 10+ years of training. There are other professional BBers who can make this claim too. It's something that sounds cool, but just because something sounds cool doesn't mean #$@#.

Thanks for the post. Train Hard. Train Smart. Grow!

Ryan

-------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, here's another video that I've recently made about the ups and downs of bulking/carrying muscle. Also, I talk about a hidden benefit to keeping a large amount of lean mass on your frame.

gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gabster21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm nearing the end of my first macro cycle, I'm really enjoying the workouts and although it's still too early to tell, I feel like I'm getting stronger on my core lifts already. However I'm not seeing results in terms of size, even though I'm eating more I actually dropped 1.5 lb since I started and I somehow look less lean than before.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong in my program (previously posted here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post851219753) or if this something normal in GST and I will start seeing better results during the next cycles..

Closed Thread
Page 320 of 340 FirstFirst ... 220 270 310 318 319 320 321 322 330 ... LastLast