Closed Thread
Page 222 of 340 FirstFirst ... 122 172 212 220 221 222 223 224 232 272 322 ... LastLast
Results 6,631 to 6,660 of 10198
    andyj2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by roadtochange View Post
    Did you read the first 4 pages of this thread?

There is 3 schedule in which you can choose to your liking. I think the most suitable schedule in your circumstance might be the M,W,F lift days and weekend rest since you have soccer. The good news is that you still will be able to incorporate SQUAT.

Example:

M - Press
    W - Squat
    F - Pull
    M - Lift
    W - Press
    F -Squat (you can change this to Lift for that week since you have soccer on Saturday)
    sorry I dont think I explained my self correctly, what I try to say is would squating regularly as well as playing soccer cause over training. As when i usualy squat when its off-season and it takes 5-6 days for me to recover. This could be because im a beginner I dont now?.

roadtochange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roadtochange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roadtochange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roadtochange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roadtochange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roadtochange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by andyj2011 View Post
    sorry I dont think I explained my self correctly, what I try to say is would squating regularly as well as playing soccer cause over training. As when i usualy squat when its off-season and it takes 5-6 days for me to recover. This could be because im a beginner I dont now?.
    I don't think that it will be over training. You can take supplement to help with recovery but it shouldn't take that long to recover from squat day.

I occasionally lift heavy mstatefan91's Avatar
    mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Macro 2: Micro 1. Lift Day
    Core Lift: Conventional Deadlift
    45x10 WU
    95x8 WU
    135x6 WU
    195x8
    195x8
    195x17
    Supplement Lifts

RDL's with Shrugs
    135x8
    135x8
    135x8

Lying Hamstring Curl
    100x8
    100x8
    100x8

Direct Ab Work
    Hanging Leg Raise on parallel bar
    BWx8
    BWx8
    BWx8, new to these

Plank Variation. Traditional plank
    BWx60s
    BW+5x45s
    BW+5x45s
    S/B/D: 485/305/500 lbs

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173558951

rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rstraka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ryan,

I was wondering what your opinion on Suitcase Deadlifts are. I have been doing GST for a while now but I want to change up my supps this macro and I don't feel like pull-throughs really get it for me on lift day. Just wanted to see if you think they are an acceptable replacement.

braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rocky_mtn View Post
    What do you mean hit failure with your supplements? There are no AMRAP sets for supplement lifts. I guess I haven't always been adding that much weight to them, and I'm always scared to go full out on an AMRAP set for say bench press, as I never have a spotter.
    No, there is no AMRAP set for supp lifts. But your supps should be progressing in reps or weight each micro, so it is inevitable that you will hit failure from time to time. Once you get in at least 90% of your supp reps, you should up the weight for that rep range next micro.

With the AMRAP set, you dont have to go to absolute muscluar failure, but at least until your form breaks right down. I have gotten pretty good at judging whether or not i will get that next rep up anyway. Maybe ask someone to spot you? or lift in a cage if you have access to one.

IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000) IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000) IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000) IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000) IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000) IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000) IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000) IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000) IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000) IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000) IronAddict7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Pretty happy I finally progressed on Bench Press, probably had something to do with me being in a horrible ****ing mood. I swear when I'm in a bad mood I can always push a hell of a lot harder then normal. Bad part is that I'll need to buy more 10Lb plates soon for DB Press =/
    I can only add 5 more Lbs to each DB with what I have now.

Macro 3- Press# 2 (75% 1RM)
    Core Lift: Bench Press- 2x6, 1x14 AMRAP 145Lbs (+5Lbs +2 reps)
    Supplement 1: Flat DB Press- 5x6 62.5Lbs (+2.5Lbs)
    Supplement 2: CGBP- 4x6, 1x5 135Lbs (+5Lbs)
    Last edited by IronAddict7; 01-16-2011 at 11:05 AM.

www.egyfitness.com Finnegan Bell's Avatar
    Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Whats Multi-grip pullups?

Also any reviews on the routine? I don't want to make a thread on the front page so trolls don't ruin OPs work.
    https://www.egyfitness.com

Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    Macro 2: Micro 1. Lift Day
    Core Lift: Conventional Deadlift
    45x10 WU
    95x8 WU
    135x6 WU
    195x8
    195x8
    195x17
    Supplement Lifts

RDL's with Shrugs
    135x8
    135x8
    135x8

Lying Hamstring Curl
    100x8
    100x8
    100x8

Direct Ab Work
    Hanging Leg Raise on parallel bar
    BWx8
    BWx8
    BWx8, new to these

Plank Variation. Traditional plank
    BWx60s
    BW+5x45s
    BW+5x45s
    Did anyone suggest that you can deadlifts and RDL on the same day? I like RDL and SLDL too , but I don't know if it can be done on the same day as conventional.

Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jasonpan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Finnegan Bell View Post

Also any reviews on the routine? I don't want to make a thread on the front page so trolls don't ruin OPs work.
    Mulit-Grip Pull-Up: have one hand with the palm facing you, the other facing away from you

So far so good with the routine....well worth the measly 30 coins for a free program design and consultation, etc....good stuff

My GST & Madcow Adventure (Madcow's Starts on pg 17): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=130591083

Starting over again, an SS Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147132983&pagenumber=

Leangains.com
    http://examine.com/leangains-faq/
    Bodyrecomposition.com

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sepandee View Post
    K so I did my 1RM today. Couple of questions:

1. For deadlifts, do most people start wearing straps very quickly into the program? Even though I switched to a mixed grip for my 1RM, my grip gave out first before anything else. But I suppose that won't be a problem at the beginning when I lower the weight to 0.6 of 1RM.
    It is common to use straps on the AMRAP sets, yes. You aren't training the forearms with deadlifts, don't let them be your limiting factor.

2. Chinups: I didn't have a weight belt, so I just did bodyweight. And the gym doesn't have a straight bar. They're slightly angled so that my thumb knuckles were pointing not outwards, but a bit towards me (45 degree angle). I managed to do 15 without any warmups (it was my last exercise). How do you suppose I go about adding weight to this? Can I still use the formula on page2 to calculate my chinups 1RM?
    You should hold a dumbbell behind one knee. Just place the handle behind your knee and bend your leg, works like a charm.

3. Assistance/Supplemental exercises: should the final set go to failure?
    Occasionally, yes. Every workout, no. You will hit failure at times as you climb towards new PRs on a supplement lift, but it is not something you should aim for. You should aim to get your reps.

Thanks.

I hadn't deadlifted/squatted in 2 years. Now I remember why I hated them :P
    See Bold.

hi Ryan,
    I have recently found this thread on the forum. I usually check the supersite area for workouts to start on but thought I check out the forum and luckily i found the GST Program, which seems really gripping. I am definitely looking to buy the ebook very soon as the package seems very worthwhile so thumps up for that.

Im relatively new to bodybuilding (2 years on and off 4 months serious) as I am training alone is there a way to avoid hurting yourself on the bench press on press day or is it better for me to use the smith machine. Im questioning the benefits of the smith because guys at my gym say it does not develop the stabilisers and thus gains are well below using a standard bench press. I hope you can clarify this for me. cheers
    It sounds like you got your answer already, but yes, you can perform nearly every worthwhile exercise without a spotter in a power rack. The free bar squat rack is the pinnacle of equipment. If you're ever trying to construct a home gym, all you need is a power rack, a barbell or two, and some plates!

Thanks for posting! If you have any questions about the eBook process, make sure to ask.

Originally Posted by FastCatChamp View Post
    For the bicep curls on Press Day...I can either do them or quit right there as I am usually spent after bench, dips, and incline presses.

I can try the bent row again, but I have had zero success with it. I will go at it again with your suggestion on a more upright posture. Will that make the lift akin to a "raise"?

Im with you completely on getting good at a few movements.

Thanks as usual.
    The row I was talking about is more like a mix between a shrug and a full bent row. You'll be nearly standing upright, with a wide grip to engage the rear lats, and pullling the bar through a short ROM as it will hit your stomach most likely. I suppose you could call it a rear delt barbell raise if you wanted to.

Originally Posted by SiGGY-IRL View Post
    I tried to get right into the program and kinda estimated my 1rm without doing any tests which was stupid. Gonna do all the tests tomorrow and restart next monday.

When your doing an AMRAP set whats a good figure to get? Would anything over the recommended reps be alright or should you be aiming for a good bit more? Or does it differ with each person?
    My recommendation is this: take a 'Micro 0' and perform all of your GST workouts. Instead of doing the first core lift at 8, 8, AMRAP, find your max instead. Then, follow that max testing by performing your planned supplement lifts at 15-20 reps as you normally would.

You'll have found your 1RM numbers and established your supplement weights. Next, move into micro 1 with your 8, 8, AMRAP core method and follow it with your 8-12 rep supplement lifts, adding approximately 25% to your 15-20 rep weights. Now you're off and running smoothly!

In all honesty, you can try and double the amount of core set reps with your AMRAP sets. It might not always happen, but it'll happen at times.

Originally Posted by Justinnnnnn View Post
    Hi Ryan, thanks for the reply, in regards to your:

I fully intend on purchasing the eBook in the next couple days, it's well priced and I figure it's gotta be worth it if i'm basing my whole training routine around it!
    You know it, and you're a smart guy

I don't consider the military press as a back movement, I was just thinking it might be a good sub to give delts a bit of work. But I like your suggestion of hip thrusts better, thats exactly why I wanted to ask you because I never would have thought of that myself!

Thanks again, I really appreciate the personal response!

Justin
    See Bold. Happy to help you out Justin. Anything else you need, let me know.

Originally Posted by braden101 View Post
    I scheduled my delt WPT the same as you have here and it worked well.

I used Face Pulls and Upright Rows. The Face Pulls actually worked really well on the rear delts, i was pretty happy with how my delts were looking after a 2 macros.
    Facepulls will definitely smoke the rear delts, can't deny that.

Originally Posted by yup123 View Post
    Could somebody please explain weak point training to me?
    So far my routine looks like this:
    C-Squats
    Hack Squats
    Leg press
    Calf Raises
    Leg Raises

C-Chinups
    1 arm DB row
    T-bar row
    Machine crunches

C-Deadlift
    SLDL
    Back extensions
    Weighted decline situps

C-Flat DB bench press
    Dips
    Standing OHP

My shoulders are a weak point of mine. I'm 3 weeks into the program.
    Weak point training is when you train a weak bodypart with a higher frequency than the typical GST protocol calls for. Training with a higher frequency can be a good thing, as long as you're not trying to train your entire body at once. Weak point training allows you to focus in on that weak body part, allowing a new level of personalization to the program.

Details of weak point training can be found in the eBook, along with some other concepts not mentioned in this thread's description of GST.

Hey guys!

I've been using Ryan's GST for a while now, but was wondering do you guys limit yourself to only 3 supplements? Because on my press and pull days I find I'm doing alot more then 3.
    If you aren't feeling spent after the core lift and three supplements, you aren't lifting at the proper intensity. You might be performing the sets and reps, but your intensity is off. Try adding some more weight to the equation and report back after a few weeks!
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Press Training:
    Compound: Bench Press
    BB military press
    Dips
    Incline DB/BB Press
    BB Skull Crushers
    I don't see much of a need for the incline press here. I'd drop it and go with the skullcrusher as your 3rd supplement lift.

Pull training:
    Compound: Neutral Grip Pullups
    EZ bar or Preacher Curl
    Hammer curls
    Lawnmowers
    Seated Cable Row
    Reverse Bent Over Row
    Unless you're prioritizing your biceps, perform one lift for them and perform that lift as your last supplement for pull day. Choose two other supplement lifts, like lawnmowers and seated cable row, and perform them before your curls and after your core lift.

Squat:
    Compound: Squat
    Reverse Lunges
    Calf Raises
    Seated Cable Row
    Bent Over Row
    Flat DB Press/Incline
    This day is in need of massive change. This is not a GST workout! Squat is fine, then do stationary lunges, then front squats or leg press, then calf raises. Ditch the rowing and pressing movements.

Lift:
    Compound: Deadlift
    Romanian Deadlift
    Lat Raises
    Its looking more and more like you don't care too much about your lower body, which isn't a good way of training. You should hit reverse lunges after your deadlifts, then follow them with the romanians or another lift day supplement choice. Finish off with some leg curls and call it a day.

I find my self often adding more exercises on top of the one I've listed, or I end up combing days.
    See Bold. Also, you should add in some ab work as well, which you can drop in after your supplements for a couple of workouts per week. You've really got some changes to make, and working together with me on a free program design would be a good thing for you.

Originally Posted by FastCatChamp View Post
    Ryan....still thinking about delt weak point training.

What about this for an option?

Rear Delts - Seated Face Pulls

Front Delts and Medial Delts - Combo of Front DB Raises and Leaning Lateral DB Raises

The Leaning Raises would look like.......

Thanks to Ironwill2008 for the pic!

Front raises are great for hitting the front delts, but you want to make sure you aren't overdoing it with the weight, as you can injure yourself by throwing the weight around without control. Those lateral raises look good as well, and the same rules apply to those as well.

Upright rows are always an option as well for the front and medial delts.

Originally Posted by p0fell0w View Post
    90% bench day was today and I was expecting to at least put 250x3-4 times but only got it 2 almost 3. Was a little disappointed bc I had a great 85% day putting up 230x7. Anyways, I still beat my last supplemental lifts on dips, so I guess I can be proud of that lol
    You've got some big accomplishments under your belt. If you missed a rep or two, its alright. You still made forward progression with your supplement lifts, which is very important as well. If you move forward in one aspect of a workout, that was a success.

Originally Posted by yup123 View Post
    I would but I dont have a credit card. I might have to go out and buy one of those gift card type credit card thing.
    Yep, many people around your age have done the same thing. Some have mailed a money order or cash as well. The options are there, you just have to get it accomplished.

Thanks again.

What do you mean hit failure with your supplements? There are no AMRAP sets for supplement lifts. I guess I haven't always been adding that much weight to them, and I'm always scared to go full out on an AMRAP set for say bench press, as I never have a spotter.
    There are no supplement AMRAP sets, but you don't want to be so conservative that you never hit failure with them. Occasional failure is alright with supplements. You should be adding weight to your supplements each time you repeat a set/rep/intensity scheme! If you aren't adding weight, you're not progressing!

It really sounds like you're not actually performing GST workouts, which is why you're having the issues you're having with GST. Take my advice on the workouts, perform your sets as you're supposed to, and add weight when the opporunity arises.

Keep us updated on how things go.

hi huys

I play football (soccer) competitively and i was woundering how i would slot in the gst programme with my matches which i have every saturday afternoon. Would that mean not including the squat day, or 2 off days and on day schedule i.e. more rest? Any sort of guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    I'd simply make sure you're not hitting your squat day at a time that will affect your soccer performance. Usually, it shouldn't hurt you much if you give a day of rest between squat day and a game.

The movement of the game will help relieve any soreness, but if you don't want to risk it, then just arrange your workouts so you have more and more time between squat day and game day.

Originally Posted by kilgoreklink View Post
    Journal Here

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post611432193

Halfway through my first Macro of 2011. Starting to get back in the groove a little. This will take much longer than I thought a few weeks ago. Guess this is all part of life. I have been a lucky man so far. This Too Shall Pass.
    Thanks for the pop in K. Give it another month or so. Keeping your nutrition in check will be the determining factor.

Originally Posted by rstraka View Post
    Ryan,

I was wondering what your opinion on Suitcase Deadlifts are. I have been doing GST for a while now but I want to change up my supps this macro and I don't feel like pull-throughs really get it for me on lift day. Just wanted to see if you think they are an acceptable replacement.
    These are going to be a bigger activator of your core than anything. Your posterior chain will handle the load, but the core will work overtime to keep you vertical without any lean. I'd put them at the end of a lift day if you're going to use them.

Part of me thinks you'll be focusing too much on the core to think about your posterior chain, so watch out for that if you implement them.

Originally Posted by IronAddict7 View Post
    Pretty happy I finally progressed on Bench Press, probably had something to do with me being in a horrible ****ing mood. I swear when I'm in a bad mood I can always push a hell of a lot harder then normal. Bad part is that I'll need to buy more 10Lb plates soon for DB Press =/
    I can only add 5 more Lbs to each DB with what I have now.

Macro 3- Press# 2 (75% 1RM)
    Core Lift: Bench Press- 2x6, 1x14 AMRAP 145Lbs (+5Lbs +2 reps)
    Supplement 1: Flat DB Press- 5x6 62.5Lbs (+2.5Lbs)
    Supplement 2: CGBP- 4x6, 1x5 135Lbs (+5Lbs)
    Glad to hear it!!

You should really check out the gallery on the GST website, www.growthstimulustraining.com. You can watch the video!

Oh yeah, a few trolls aren't going to ruin GST, I can promise you that!

Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reid456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm back at school. I hope I can continue hitting the weights as hard and consistently as I have been though it will be hard. I really don't have too many friends here at my school but this is my last semester as I'm transfering next year. You'd think it would give me more time to focus on training and school but it just wears on you mentally when you feel alone and definitely can affect lifting. Here's to a good semester of training. Good luck to everyone else who is training while going to school.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Philippians 4:13

No one can limit my success

Current training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149434003

Goals before I'm 30: PhD and natural pro card.

I occasionally lift heavy mstatefan91's Avatar
    mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did anyone suggest that you can deadlifts and RDL on the same day? I like RDL and SLDL too , but I don't know if it can be done on the same day as conventional.
    I've been doing RDL's and Conventional deadlifts on the same day for over a month now and had no problems with it. I don't know when else I would do RDL's except for on lift day unless I was wpt my hamstrings.
    S/B/D: 485/305/500 lbs

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173558951

Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    great video bro, i think i'm gonna try it out soon. and great article you posted!

Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey OP i really like your ideas and just wanted to say i've started to give them a try!
    Just started a journal here for anyone thats interested
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130928453 (sorry under 30 no link)
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how this pays off. Im excited to start a workout with structure and goals rather than my usual do for the most part whatever i feel like at an intensity subject to my mood and fatigue. Anyways thanks, and anyone who wants to take a look and add their 2 cents or just see how im progressing is much appreciated!

Originally Posted by Panterror View Post
    Hey OP i really like your ideas and just wanted to say i've started to give them a try!
    Just started a journal here for anyone thats interested
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130928453 (sorry under 30 no link)
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how this pays off. Im excited to start a workout with structure and goals rather than my usual do for the most part whatever i feel like at an intensity subject to my mood and fatigue. Anyways thanks, and anyone who wants to take a look and add their 2 cents or just see how im progressing is much appreciated!
    I hit your journal before you even posted this, haha.

Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10) Panterror is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Haha yea i just replied, thanks!

Good night GSTers! I'm off to make my meals for tomorrow and then hit the mattress for some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs.

Thanks to everyone who's been blowing this thread up lately! There have been plenty of new people starting GST, which is excellent to see.

Keep hittin that iron!

Ryan

Can any body help me with this question? Is it possible to do deadlifts and RDL or SLDL on the same day (lift day) ? I see people do this in their routines.

edit: I saw answer now on 6644 , may also wait for further input. Thx brah.

Can any body help me with this question? Is it possible to do deadlifts and RDL or SLDL on the same day (lift day) ? I see people do this in their routines.

If you're physically capable of it, then yes, it is possible. If you see people do it, then it is possible.

It is all about choosing the proper weight, sets, and reps for the particular microcycle you're on.

When you train smart, you can train outside of the box.

braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000)

I RDL as my first supp after a conventional deadlift core. Never had any problems, actually a pretty good combo.

Feels good to get a nice stretch with the RDL's after a few gruelling sets of Deads.

Then i've got Hyperextensions as my 2nd supp, almost fallen flat on my face in the carpark a number of times haha, jelly legs hardcore, love it.
    Last edited by braden101; 01-17-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Originally Posted by braden101 View Post
    I RDL as my first supp after a conventional deadlift core. Never had any problems, actually a pretty good combo.

Feels good to get a nice stretch with the RDL's after a few gruelling sets of Deads.

Then i've got Hyperextensions as my 3rd supp, almost fallen flat on my face in the carpark a number of times haha, jelly legs hardcore, love it.
    Its a weird feeling when the hamstrings aren't working properly!

Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jesse11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Supplement Lift Selection

It doesn't take a professional to know that more than one exercise can be done to promote strength and growth in the same area of the body. This is where supplement lifts come into play. Think about supplement lifts as you think about supplements for nutrition. Supplements work when you have the fundamentals in place, but they are not meant to replace the fundamentals!

My supplement lift choosing will tend to stray away from isolation lifts, as I still believe in getting the most bang for your buck on each lift you perform in a workout. This is a not a program that involves a high number of different exercises. Therefore, each one must be of value to you.

Press Training Supplement Lift Selection
    Flat DB Press
    Incline DB Press
    Decline DB Press
    Dips
    Close Grip Flat BB Press
    Military DB Press
    BB Push Press
    Incline DB Flyes
    Pushup Variations
    BB High Pull

These lifts are all going to put focus on gaining strength and size in the Pec/Delt/Tricep complex. Many of these moves could just as well be used for the core lifts, but once again, none of these lifts can be loaded with the capacity that a barbell press can be loaded with. Dips are an exercise that could be loaded heavy, but they do not allow you to work on your pressing form, which is why they aren't a core lift option.

You can see that movements like shoulder flyes, cable flyes, tricep extensions, and the pec deck are left out of the equation. These movements do not allow for sufficient loading, leaving much to be desired in terms of adaptive stress on the body.

Squat Training Supplement Lift Selection
    Walking BB or DB Lunge
    Reverse BB or DB Lunge
    Bulgarian BB or DB Split Squat
    Low and Close Stance Leg Press
    High and Wide Stance Leg Press
    Single Leg Press
    BB or DB Front Squat
    Hack Squat
    Hack Squat w/ BB
    Belt Squat

Squat supplement lifts are designed to activate all/most of the prime movers of the squat. Many of these movements mimic the leg movement involved in squatting, strengthening and further stressing the body, causing adaption in the form of strength and size increases.

You're not going to see leg extensions, sissy squats, or other isolation movements in this category. Once again, they are not quality compound movements when loading the body with heavy weight is the goal.

Pull Training Supplement Lift Selection
    Flat Bench DB Row
    Close Grip Seated Cable Row
    Medium Grip Seated Cable Row
    T Bar Row
    Close Grip Lat Pulldown
    Medium Grip Lat Pulldown
    Rack Chin Up
    Rack Pull Up

Many of these lifts are just less 'involved' versions of the core lifts. They don't allow for as much weight as the core lifts, but you can still load them sufficiently enough to put the body under some serious stress. Many of these take some of the stabilization effects away, since you are seated or supported by equipment. This is why they are not core lifts.

I don't like to see wide grip pulling movements here, as they will drastically decrease the amount of weight that will be used when compared to a medium or close grip variation of that same pull.

Lift Training Supplement Lift Selection
    Deficit Conventional Deadlift
    Deficit Romanian Deadlift
    Deficit Sumo Deadlift
    Cable Pullthrough
    Reverse Crunch
    BB Good Morning
    Glute Ham Raise w/ or w/o Pushup Assistance
    Romanian BB or DB Deadlift
    Hyperextension
    Roman Chair
    Lying Leg Curl

These lifts are definitely going to add to the strength and form of your core lift. These movements can be loaded sufficiently and will easily provide stress to your body for those adaptions to take place. These movements high accentuate the muscles of the posterior chain, which is where you derive your lifting power from.

The lying leg curl is going to be the closest exercise to an isolation that you'll see in this program. I feel that it is an important movement for the hamstrings, making it sufficient for this program.

Next up, how to put together a split with your core lift and supplement lift choices......
    Great stuff bro. You seem to possess alot of knowledge aboult working out properly and eating healthy.

IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Anyone having a tough time finishing supplemental exercises on squat day? After I finish my core squat and supplemental leg presses, my legs are already spent and I can barely do lunges with just the bar

Originally Posted by Jesse11 View Post
    Great stuff bro. You seem to possess alot of knowledge aboult working out properly and eating healthy.
    If your last name rhymes with 'boil' you're about to find out!

If it doesn't, nevermind........

Originally Posted by IllPhill View Post
    Anyone having a tough time finishing supplemental exercises on squat day? After I finish my core squat and supplemental leg presses, my legs are already spent and I can barely do lunges with just the bar
    All I can say is switch that barbell to some lighter dumbbells and have at it! You'll eventually build up your work capacity, which is what its all about. Make your body need more muscle and you will have more muscle (provided your nutrition allows it).

claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Back to GST!

I was doing heavy travel for my job recently and was not able to stay on the program. After a month or so my diet went to crap and I started eating unhealthy due to convenience. This has led to some unwanted fat which is to be expected. Finally I am back home and back on GST. I am a little cautious of keeping my 1RM where they were a couple months ago though. I went 60% last week and was definitely struggling. Today is squat day and I am somewhat nervous to go 70% of my 1RM (365 thanks to this program). I chose the 60,70,80,90 scheme for this reason as well.

Ryan, what do you recommend for something like this? I was not doing any kind of lifting besides occasional push/pull ups and my diet went south as well. This was really a worst case scenario for me and really has opened my eyes to how quickly things can change. Just a little lack of effort can turn into a huge set back.

Former Bench Jockey FastCatChamp's Avatar
    FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Macro 3 (Bulk) - Pull #1

Core Lift - Chin-ups
    8xBW
    8xBW
    10xBW AMRAP (186)

Supplement #1 - Assisted Chins
    4xBW Pullups
    -------------
    Chins
    5xOrange Band (Light Assist)
    5xOrange Band
    5xOrange Band
    6xOrange Band

Supplement #2 - T-Bar Rows
    6x120 PWO
    6x120
    6x120
    6x120
    6x120

Supplement #3 - One Arm DB Rows
    6x85
    6x85
    6x85
    6x85
    6x85

Press Assistance - Speed Bench w/Bands - 150 pounds
    95 pounds + red Pro Short Bands
    9 sets x 3 reps (3 sets narrow grip, 3 wide, 1 narrow, 1 wide, 1 regular)

Notes - 55 Minutes on the Pulls and then came back later for the bench work that took ten minutes. Chins were two pounds heavier than last Macro and the same rep totals, although I did have an 11th rep teeth high and could not lock it out. I had designs on doing pullups as my first supplement lift, but shelved that idea after one set. Felt totally foreign. Added ten pounds on the front two sets of TBars and added a fifth set. DB Row weight was the same but I added a fifth set. Was not home this morning to record bodyweight in the AM. I was 186 at workout time with regular tennis shoes on.
    Home Journal: Me vs. Myself @.....http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125942203

Levels and goals...........
    Kitten[CURRENT]...Cat[Application Submitted]..Alleycat..Bobcat...Puma...Lion....Tiger.

rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocky_mtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Ryan.

I guess I need to up the weight on all my supplement lifts, and cores as well then, because I really haven't been fully spent and thats why Ive been adding exercises.

I reviewed my program and have tryed to incorportate some of the changes you said:

Press:
    Flat BB Bench Press
    Standing BB Military Press
    Dips
    Incline DB Press
    Flat Bench BB SkullCrushers

Lift:
    DeadLift
    DB/BB Reverse Lunges
    Romanian Deadlift

Pull:
    Neutral Grips Pullups
    Bent BB Row
    Close Grip Seated Cable Row
    Reverse Grip/ or EZ BB Curl

Squat:
    Barbell Squat
    Front Lunges
    Calf Raises
    Weak Point: DB Press

Closed Thread
Page 222 of 340 FirstFirst ... 122 172 212 220 221 222 223 224 232 272 322 ... LastLast