Closed Thread
Page 12 of 340 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast
    evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cjackway View Post
    Kyle,
    I initially wondered about the Abs as well. After doing this program for 2 solid weeks, I realized that through the type of lifts we're doing you are getting a lot of ab work. If you're properly stabilizing your core through the lifts you'll notice a difference. For some additional conditioning, I may eventually throw a few sets in at the end of my Pull day.
    Yep, both squats, and deadlifts hit your core hard. If anyone's too worried about abs, in my opinion just throw in a set of upper and a set of lower abs at the end of one of your workouts and there ya go.
    Supps:

ON Whey Protein
    Higher Power Nutrition Micronized Creatine
    Multi-Vitamin
    Vitamin C
    Fish Oil

claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Abs are for girls, were trying to fill out some shirts here

In all seriousness these workouts tax your abs pretty hard. I have not done crunches since I started GST but my abs are definitely getting a good workout.

Another thing to never forget is that abs are made in the kitchen

evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by claricSTi View Post

In all seriousness these workouts tax your abs pretty hard. I have not done crunches since I started GST but my abs are definitely getting a good workout.

well said my man, before starting GST i was doing 5x5 and did abs 3days a week as well, and before that i used to do them 5x a week. Now that im doing GST i don't do them at all, and my core still gets sore after deads. I used to think abs mattered so much, but realized that if you're trying to put on size, abs are gonna have to be put aside for a while.
    Supps:

ON Whey Protein
    Higher Power Nutrition Micronized Creatine
    Multi-Vitamin
    Vitamin C
    Fish Oil

wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Since you are a beginner, it is just fine that you got higher reps. Its typical. You see, as you become more advanced, you are able to put more intensity and effort into your lifts. You are able to lift more weight for a 1RM, as you learn how to put everything you've got into that lift.

70% of advanced intensity and effort and 70% of beginner intensity and effort are going to differ in terms of how stressful they are on the body. The more advanced you are, the fewer reps I expect you to get on the AMRAP sets, and vice versa.

The one thing I don't want you to do is start upping your maxes like crazy just because you are getting more reps than you think you should. That would be a mistake and wouldn't be ideal.

Stick with your initial max numbers. You chose them for a reason. There will be plenty of time to increase them as you complete multiple macrocycles! This is a marathon, not a sprint.

For a beginner, go ahead and give a 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100% core lift schedule a shot.

If your sure.. but won't I not be building up as much strength as I could be if I am working at such high reps and at lower insensity on the first two sets than I can handle?

Also, how long should I rest inbetween working sets? I was doing about 3mins (normal for strength routines I think) is this too long? Thanks

bakwoodz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Am I correct in thinking I need to do a warm up set of 3x8-10, along with a couple explosive sets? Also maybe I've called them something different but what are multiple grip pulldowns?are those just lat pulls? What are cable pull throughs? Sorry for the NU B questions. Thanks in advance.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KyleRips**** View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. And after Day2 Pull I feel good and it seemed lots easier than the first day's Squats, as I am probably in quite a bit better shape in my upper body atm? I am really kind of worrying about losing my endurance off of this program tho and my cardio conditioning... after Squat day my calves had it... probably especially because I did 3 sets of heavy calves as well on Squat day... so it actually hurt to jog today (Day2). Also am worried about abs, I see those two areas missing out on exercise in general - must this be a sacrifice to some extent when getting bigger and stronger are the primary focus?
    No, it does not have to be a sacrifice when getting bigger and stronger. With my updated GST program, I'm actually working in some abs and other options for weak points as well. You will definitely retain core strength and be solid in the middle from the current program, but I'm tweaking it so everything gets some attention.

Also was wondering if doing 3 days in a row was a wise choice if I am feeling ok to go on Press being not sore at all rly in my upper body going into Day3 (following the Day1-Squat, Day2-Pull, Day3-Press guideline) I don't see this being a problem with the 24-72hr isolated major muscle group reparation period, if you will.
    I do not recommend three days in a row, unless its your only option. Plus, you don't do press after pull. You need to keep the squat and lift days from being back to back.

Def gonna be giving fish oil a shot, from all the reviews I don't see how it could possibly hurt, and DEF gonna stay away from stinky ones w/ fish burps... honestly wtf!? lol.
    See bold.
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 1harud1 View Post
    i am a 110 pound freshmen in wrestling. Will i still be able to do this program because i plan on making my workout schedule 2nite
    This program is not specifically designed for sports application, but it will get you stronger, which will be a positive for sports. I would personally put you on something a little different if I was working for you.

These workouts definitely tax the core. Yes, abs are 'seen' from the kitchen Making abs is something you do in the gym, and it doesn't necessarily require direct work. I do like to see some direct work, and as I revise and improve on this program, I am working a few additions in. These improvements and advancements will add to the well roundedness of GST.

Originally Posted by evasiontank View Post
    well said my man, before starting GST i was doing 5x5 and did abs 3days a week as well, and before that i used to do them 5x a week. Now that im doing GST i don't do them at all, and my core still gets sore after deads. I used to think abs mattered so much, but realized that if you're trying to put on size, abs are gonna have to be put aside for a while.
    See my previous reply.

Originally Posted by wasdax View Post
    If your sure.. but won't I not be building up as much strength as I could be if I am working at such high reps and at lower insensity on the first two sets than I can handle?

Also, how long should I rest inbetween working sets? I was doing about 3mins (normal for strength routines I think) is this too long? Thanks
    Its not smart to constantly work in the 90-100% intensity range. You can only lift that heavy for so long, which is why there are more intensity ranges incorporated into GST. You are thinking very short sighted, like week to week short! You need to be thinking about a 6-12 month period here. NOBODY lifts truly heavy for a year straight, its just not feasible.

Rest as needed. Everyone is different and its too hard to put a definite number of seconds on rest periods. Heavy lifting is 3-5 minutes in my opinion.

Originally Posted by bakwoodz View Post
    Am I correct in thinking I need to do a warm up set of 3x8-10, along with a couple explosive sets? Also maybe I've called them something different but what are multiple grip pulldowns?are those just lat pulls? What are cable pull throughs? Sorry for the NU B questions. Thanks in advance.
    Yes, the explosive sets are to get you into a "quick lifting" state of mind. I have the method specifically laid out that I use in my revised GST plan, which I'll be releasing in time.

Multi grip pullups require you to use one hand under and one hand over, simple as that.

This is a solid demo of cable pullthroughs:

On a personal note, I'm still out of the gym for another week...... I want to lift, and its eating at me that I can't.

I actually grabbed a dumbbell the other day and sat on the couch and did forearm curls and bicep curls while watching Raising the Bar 3. Had to get something in!

I am down 5 pounds though, which is nice progress for my cut. I keep carbs in my cut, so its not all water

1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well the wrestling season ended yesterday so is it good to give it a go

NoSkillz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off, i want to say that i've been reading about your program and I'm really impressed with it. I'm planning on starting this program to see what kind of results I get from it. I was doing the starting strength workout for a while, but then had to stop because I had arm surgery. I just got back into the gym and I like the structure and layout of your program so much, I've decided to try your program out instead of starting up SS again.

I'll be keeping a workout log of my progress. It'll have before and after pics and all that good stuff. I'll post a link to it when it's set up and you can check it out if you like. Peace
    Check out my GST workout log at:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122236471&highlight=GST

1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile

and if not what program would you suggest for me seing as i want mass and strength but preferrably mass. I wanna fill out my shirt

bakwoodz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the clarafication it will really take some getting used too I've never done a pull up with one hand palm to me and one hand palm away.

stert23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i wanted to get your opinion on my situation and my goals.

i have been doing a 5x5 routine this winter, but come spring/summer i will be doing a lot of running and cycling. in addition to those activities i am very active. i do a lot of rock climbing and beach volleyball.

my goals are not to get huge. i wanted to be lean and strong and look good. think lance armstrong size (he isnt the typical skinny cyclist). with the sports i am involved in a do not want to be carrying around a bulky physique on my bike or up a climbing wall.

since i will be doing a lot of running and cycling i am worried about having a heavy squat day and a heavy deadlift day. i was thinking about combining them. so i would have deadlifts be my core lift with front squats and maybe bb lunges being my supplemental lifts. what are your thoughts on this and what would my split look like?

so i want to combine my lift and squat days and i will be doing a ton of cardio. should i being looking elsewhere for a routine?

thanks so much

KyleRipsShit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Explosive Core Lift Priming

I want this program to incorporate as many strength improving methods as possible, without becoming a big pile of tips and tricks that don't mesh together. I don't want this program to be overkill in any aspect, as those programs that are fail miserably within a short time period. You get burned out when applying too much of one principle. My goal was to find the right balance of strength and size building principles, and I feel that I've done that.

To begin my workout, I like to do a low intensity walk on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes, followed by some explosive core lift priming. How do I do this?

Step 1: Find a movement that can be done in an explosive fashion that mimics your core lift.

Step 2: Perform that movement for 2 to 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps with your bodyweight only.

Step 3: Benefit from your excited nervous system through enhanced strength in your core lift.

I personally like to perform Jump Squatson my squat day, Clapping Pushups on my press day, Jump Squats or Explosive Hyperextensions on my lift day, and Medicine Ball Slams on my pull day.

These movements will mimic your core lifts and will really improve your power and speed with your core movement. Nobody wants to train to be slower, so you better be doing some ultra fast version of your big lifts at some time or another! These lifts will benefit you in multiple ways, they are quick and simple, and they are fun to do as well.

Incorporate these movements by performing them with your core lift warmups after your 5-10 minute low intensity cardio warm up. This is how I want you to use them:

Step 1: Get to your lifting area and load up your first warmup weight for your core lift.

Step 2: Perform your first warm up set.

Step 3: Perform your first set of the explosive movement for 6-8 reps.

Step 4: Perform your second warmup set.

Step 5: Perform your second set of the exploxive movement for 6-8 reps.

Step 6: Perform your third warmup set.

Step 7: Perform your third, and last set of the explosive movement for 6-8 reps.

Step 8: Perform your fourth warmup set if necessary. If four warmup sets are not necessary, perform your first working set.

Step 9: Perform your second working set.

Step 10: Perform your third working set, which is your AMRAP set.

If you find that performing 3 sets of your explosive movement gets to be too demanding, simply drop the reps for each set or drop the third set of the explosive movement entirely.

Remember, the rules of this program are not set in stone. They are encouraged to be followed, but it is impossible to make a program suitable for everyone on their first program attempt. People have to make personal changes, they just need to make sure they don't deviate from the goals and concepts of the program itself.

I'm off for the night, but I encourage questions, as I'll get them answered ASAP!
    This may be a dumb question, but I don't understand the difference between your warm up sets and explosive sets... I understand completely the concept of the explosive sets... but what are warm up sets? ... << That is the question I am getting at I guess.

.. confused... please elaborate.

... lolz, def didn't see this before doing 2 days of my workout.

On a personal note, I'm still out of the gym for another week...... I want to lift, and its eating at me that I can't.

I actually grabbed a dumbbell the other day and sat on the couch and did forearm curls and bicep curls while watching Raising the Bar 3. Had to get something in!
    I am going on Day 3 and taking the more advanced lifter schedule, being that I lifted the first 2 days of my schedule already. I am nearly unaffected from yesterdays Pull, but my legs realllly feel the heat from some lunges I did probably too heavy on, but needed a kick in the ass anyways from. I hella feel u how u wanna workout... I feel so comfortable with doing Press today even though It's not the next core workout, just how I feel. (Thanks 2020 for clarifying Not to do Pull/Press backtoback days) but Ima try n stay on course n see if this program doesn't overtrain me like my body wants to and I've always had a bad habit of (and never really seeked a solution to... hopefully this schedule will be one.) Although I think I may cheat w some abs today to keep it interesting... don't wanna tax them too bad before deadlifting, haven't done any in YEARS! (You guys claim that works your core well enough on that day), I'll see.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can elaborate on that warm-up/explosive set confusion I have above. Thanks as always guys.

Just a thought into the future... in summer I want to cut myself up again... What is the minimum amt. of macrocycles you think I should do to have the best combo of being big and ripped by say.... 3 months from today? Thinking bout switching workout routine up to get ripped (diff program) yet swole (from this program) by mid-summer time preferrably.. that's like a goal, or maybe more like an unachievable wish... idk? ... I am thinking I'd need (knowing myself well HIGH metabolism) ... a min. of like 3 maybe max. 5 weeks to get cut again. My metabolism DESTROYS! .. which is why I am in a program like this cuz it takes alot of determination and dedication for me to gain weight healthily.
    Last edited by KyleRipsShit; 02-04-2010 at 01:10 AM.

wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    2020. Quick question.

Did Squat on Tuesday, is there any problem if I do Press today then Lift on Friday and then do Pull on Monday instead?

Thanks

2020. Quick question.

Did Squat on Tuesday, is there any problem if I do Press today then Lift on Friday and then do Pull on Monday instead?

Thanks
    Im pretty sure as long as you don't do Pull/Press or Squat/Lift backtoback days it won't overlap the muscle groups which is what he has intended for this program to avoid. So I believe his answer will be yes. I too found that I think I may be better off doing Press tomorrow rather than Lift, Day 4 (My schedule: 1stDayon, 2ndDayon, 3rdDayoff)

... if you could please clarify these things 2020 I'd appreciate it because I am thinking I could get the most out of the next two workouts if I Press tomorrow w/ Abs afterwards rest a day and do my Final Day 4 Core Workout - Lift - Saturday, when my legs have been recovered (shinsplint feeling and shins r screaming at me!) ... I don't see that conflicting with overlappage etc. - Let me know what u think, or anyone else for that matter, thanks!

^Yeah thanks, thats what I was thinking as well.

I have another question if anyone could answer. I have pretty much no idea on my 1RM for bench, when I do my press day today should I just be more flexible with the training and try and workout my 1RM and then do the workout? (Possible at the sacrifise of a few reps on the last set)

Thanks

Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
    First off, i want to say that i've been reading about your program and I'm really impressed with it. I'm planning on starting this program to see what kind of results I get from it. I was doing the starting strength workout for a while, but then had to stop because I had arm surgery. I just got back into the gym and I like the structure and layout of your program so much, I've decided to try your program out instead of starting up SS again.

I'll be keeping a workout log of my progress. It'll have before and after pics and all that good stuff. I'll post a link to it when it's set up and you can check it out if you like. Peace
    Just make sure that you have 'GST' somewhere in your journal title so I can search it out easier for comments in it. Thanks!

and if not what program would you suggest for me seing as i want mass and strength but preferrably mass. I wanna fill out my shirt
    This program will bring you mass as long as you are eating big and lifting hard. If you aren't training specifically for a sport, go ahead and get on GST.

Originally Posted by stert23 View Post
    i wanted to get your opinion on my situation and my goals.

i have been doing a 5x5 routine this winter, but come spring/summer i will be doing a lot of running and cycling. in addition to those activities i am very active. i do a lot of rock climbing and beach volleyball.

my goals are not to get huge. i wanted to be lean and strong and look good. think lance armstrong size (he isnt the typical skinny cyclist). with the sports i am involved in a do not want to be carrying around a bulky physique on my bike or up a climbing wall.

since i will be doing a lot of running and cycling i am worried about having a heavy squat day and a heavy deadlift day. i was thinking about combining them. so i would have deadlifts be my core lift with front squats and maybe bb lunges being my supplemental lifts. what are your thoughts on this and what would my split look like?

so i want to combine my lift and squat days and i will be doing a ton of cardio. should i being looking elsewhere for a routine?

thanks so much
    I don't see that combo to be a problem. Regardless of your goals, GST can accomodate them by varying some factors. The main point behind the program is realistic progression and planning. There are numerous ways to structure GST, which is why I offer training services for individuals that want them. Not everyone is going to follow the same split, period. I would go with the combo, but I would rotate squats and deadlifts as the core lift every other macrocycle. Don't do them both at the same time if you want to preserve energy for other activities. For your supplements, when you are doing a squat cycle, use squat supplements. When you are doing a lift cycle, use lift supplements.

This may be a dumb question, but I don't understand the difference between your warm up sets and explosive sets... I understand completely the concept of the explosive sets... but what are warm up sets? ... << That is the question I am getting at I guess.

.. confused... please elaborate.

... lolz, def didn't see this before doing 2 days of my workout.
    Explosive sets are not meant to fatigue. They are meant to prime your body and mind for quick and explosive lifting. They are done with bodyweight or a very very very light bar.

Warmup sets are sets that ramp up in weight, approaching your working weight. You don't just go straight into your working weights, you need to warm up. Explosive bodyweight lifts do not play the role of warm up sets. I recommend 3 or more warm up sets, which progressively increase in weight while decreasing in reps as you approach your working weight. These are also not meant to fatigue. You don't want to be worn out from your warm ups.

I am going on Day 3 and taking the more advanced lifter schedule, being that I lifted the first 2 days of my schedule already. I am nearly unaffected from yesterdays Pull, but my legs realllly feel the heat from some lunges I did probably too heavy on, but needed a kick in the ass anyways from. I hella feel u how u wanna workout... I feel so comfortable with doing Press today even though It's not the next core workout, just how I feel. (Thanks 2020 for clarifying Not to do Pull/Press backtoback days) but Ima try n stay on course n see if this program doesn't overtrain me like my body wants to and I've always had a bad habit of (and never really seeked a solution to... hopefully this schedule will be one.) Although I think I may cheat w some abs today to keep it interesting... don't wanna tax them too bad before deadlifting, haven't done any in YEARS! (You guys claim that works your core well enough on that day), I'll see.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can elaborate on that warm-up/explosive set confusion I have above. Thanks as always guys.

Just a thought into the future... in summer I want to cut myself up again... What is the minimum amt. of macrocycles you think I should do to have the best combo of being big and ripped by say.... 3 months from today? Thinking bout switching workout routine up to get ripped (diff program) yet swole (from this program) by mid-summer time preferrably.. that's like a goal, or maybe more like an unachievable wish... idk? ... I am thinking I'd need (knowing myself well HIGH metabolism) ... a min. of like 3 maybe max. 5 weeks to get cut again. My metabolism DESTROYS! .. which is why I am in a program like this cuz it takes alot of determination and dedication for me to gain weight healthily.
    I have no idea of your present state, but unless you are basically at your goal physique, 3 months is probably not long enough. It takes years to make big changes to the body.

You don't need to switch programs to go from bulked to cut. You need to change your diet and tweak your program, but completely changing programs isn't necessary. Gaining and losing weight is about what you eat, moreso than what program you're on.

^Yeah thanks, thats what I was thinking as well.

I have another question if anyone could answer. I have pretty much no idea on my 1RM for bench, when I do my press day today should I just be more flexible with the training and try and workout my 1RM and then do the workout? (Possible at the sacrifise of a few reps on the last set)

Thanks
    The truth is that you should have your 1RM numbers figured before starting up GST. Get them figured out, and then start up. Being prepared for the program you're on will benefit you.

Smile

YAYYYYY i was waiting untill you answered my question

we only need to know the maxes for core lifts right?

we only need to know the maxes for core lifts right?
    Yes. The supplement lifts are not based on specific max percentages, so they are more by feel. Make them tough, but not so tough that you're missing reps on a regular basis.

2020. Quick question.

Thanks
    You'll be fine, don't worry about it. Overall, shoot for the 50/50 rest to work ratio.

I DEFINITELY think I shouldve went with Press today (Day4) instead of Lift. My legs just warming up hurt and my lower back was killin me before I even got to warming up. (Probably from excessive cardio running, breaking down my lower back, yesterday and just overall being not in the best shape I've been in) ...

2020 think it matters if I switch up those workouts in the week for future reference of the weeks to come? (Press vs Pull as Day 4... on your Advanced lifter scheme) I'm not too sure, seemed like overtraining to me. The reason I did hard cardio is because overall I am hardly even feeling worked.. like for instance, after I was done w/ my core and supplement sets on Day 2 Pull, I had a TON of energy to burn and def felt like I couldve hit my Press that day or the next easily (skipping my Off Day cardio which came next)

I don't really see any major prob w/ switching up the order of the lifts as long as Press/Pull and Squat/Lift don't overlap. I am gonna try some of my own tweaking if this next week doesn't go over so well, being that I know my body pretty well and I wanna get my full potential while working hard (sometimes the body tells the brain to not go much further when in reality it can go much further)

Just my thoughts of my first week so far... can anyone relate?
    Last edited by KyleRipsShit; 02-05-2010 at 01:03 AM.

claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    First, it sounds like you are not resting enough, you can't tell how sore you are from a workout the second you finish it, I start getting really sore about 2 days after a good workout.

Second, If you didn't get anything out of your back workout then either your weights were not calculated right or your form wasn't where it should be. Make sure to "work-out" your muscles instead of taking them through the motions. This is the whole reason as to why bodybuilders can do less workouts and get better results. There working sets are working for them. FOCUS, FOCUS, FORM, FORM

I would also suggest breaking your questions into more than one post and starting your own GST journal. There is a couple times where I was going to try and reply to your post but the fact it had 12 questions in it made me decide not to help out. By starting your own GST journal you can get all the answers you need in an orderly and personal fashion. Just make sure to put GST in the name so it is easy to search for

First, it sounds like you are not resting enough, you can't tell how sore you are from a workout the second you finish it, I start getting really sore about 2 days after a good workout.

Second, If you didn't get anything out of your back workout then either your weights were not calculated right or your form wasn't where it should be. Make sure to "work-out" your muscles instead of taking them through the motions. This is the whole reason as to why bodybuilders can do less workouts and get better results. There working sets are working for them. FOCUS, FOCUS, FORM, FORM

I would also suggest breaking your questions into more than one post and starting your own GST journal. There is a couple times where I was going to try and reply to your post but the fact it had 12 questions in it made me decide not to help out. By starting your own GST journal you can get all the answers you need in an orderly and personal fashion. Just make sure to put GST in the name so it is easy to search for
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I have no idea how you can seriously go through any workout and get nothing out of it. I can get something out of just flexing my muscles with no added resistance.....lol.

quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hmm...I've incorporated the explosives and feel like they're helping; generally it's always the bar then 135. But the first warmup set, like 225 on my Pendlay's is also explosive by default; it's still a light weight to me, and I think exploding them is sort of a carryover from powerlifting DE days, where you explode everything you do.

But then again, the idea I've been taught was that EVERY lift should be explosive, regardless of the weight. I found that this concept is harder to incorporate than you'd think: if you haven't done TRAINING for it, it just doesn't happen, and only the FT motor units will fire. I think it takes some imagination or experience to realize that the PL squatting 1000lbs. is actually EXPLODING the weight up, regardless of bar speed.
    For the rest of us, it takes a conscious effort to remember to do it. First thought during training is that exploding all those reps is gonna wear you out faster, but for some reason; it's not so.
    I do because I can.
    I can because I do.

...and I don't care what you used to lift.

Originally Posted by quadancer View Post
    Hmm...I've incorporated the explosives and feel like they're helping; generally it's always the bar then 135. But the first warmup set, like 225 on my Pendlay's is also explosive by default; it's still a light weight to me, and I think exploding them is sort of a carryover from powerlifting DE days, where you explode everything you do.

But then again, the idea I've been taught was that EVERY lift should be explosive, regardless of the weight. I found that this concept is harder to incorporate than you'd think: if you haven't done TRAINING for it, it just doesn't happen, and only the FT motor units will fire. I think it takes some imagination or experience to realize that the PL squatting 1000lbs. is actually EXPLODING the weight up, regardless of bar speed.
    For the rest of us, it takes a conscious effort to remember to do it. First thought during training is that exploding all those reps is gonna wear you out faster, but for some reason; it's not so.
    They definitely help with the physical and mental side of lifting.

Also, every lift should be explosive, but actually using a light weight that you can move very quickly is how you prime yourself for heavier, yet still explosive work sets. You can't prime yourself for speed if you can't move fast in the first place.

You're right, if you don't train it, you can't have it. That is why there is a specific calling for it in GST. Its am amazing concept to learn and you'll never learn it if you don't train it.

I always get clients that tell me they can't move the bar fast during a set. I'm sitting there telling them to blast it up and they say, no way in hell. I then tell them that speed is relative to the person and the set. If they are thinking about moving it as fast as possible, then they are doing things right.

Good post Quad.

BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been reading through this thread for the last while and really like your ideas. I have always done alot of exercises in my workouts, and probably overtrained alot. Hence me having stopped working out. Anyway I am going to be getting a membership at a local gym next week and hoping to start the same day. My Workout will look like this:
    Squat Day
    Jump Squats
    BB Back Squat
    Bulgarian Squats
    DB Reverse Lunge
    Finisher/Claves

Press Day
    Clap Push Up
    Flat BB Press
    Incline DB Press
    Push Ups
    Finisher/Dips

Lift Day
    Jump Squats
    Sumo Deadlift
    Glute Ham Raise
    Hyperextensions
    Finsher/Leg Lifts

Pull Day
    Lat Pull Downs
    Pull Ups
    DB Rows
    Lat Pull Downs
    Finisher/Forearm

I added the finishers because they are things that I feel I either do need to work because I either love the workout(Dips) or lack in that area(Forearm). My finsher set will be an all out set as with the core lift final set. Other then adding the finisher in, everything else will be exactly how your program goes. I will be making a blog next week, either Monday or Tuesday and will post the link in this thread for you to find and help me with any help I may need. I do have a question tho. Why are you against milk? I love milk, and dairy products, and find that they are good things during a bulk. Thanks for creating an awesome sounding/looking program!

Is a cycle one week? Meaning do i do 60-70% of my 1rm for core lifts for 1 week or for one set

Closed Thread