Closed Thread
Page 11 of 340 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast
    ks503 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well I just got done reading this entire thread before I decided to post. The GST program looks very well put together and I cant wait to start it. I workout at night and tonight I am going to be figuring out my 1RM's and practice form for a few of the lifts I've never tried yet. I new to lifting and have only been going hard for about a month, but I love going and working out. I just haven't found a routine as interesting and well detailed as this. I'm really looking forward to it!

2020Wellness thanks a lot for taking the time to post so much detail and answer all the questions. While reading through the thread I had a few questions but kept reading and they all were answered.

Cant wait to get deep in this. Thanks!

drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drexx666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    squat day today...im weak i know.

Bb squats:
    warmup set1...135x8
    jump squatsx8 (45lbs)
    warmup set2:155x8
    jump squatsx8 (45lbs)
    warmup set3...185x5

worksets1&2...210x6
    workset 3...210x9

leg press:
    3 worksets....295x20

front squats:
    3 worksets...115x15

workout was pretty intense over all. i was hoping to get more reps on my last core set...but 9 was all i could do. next week is looking like i wont be able to get more than 4 reps on my amrap set, is that the way it should go, or should i be able to get more?

Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremyn87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Explosive pushups 2x8

Smith BB flat bench,
    3x8 WU 150 lbs,
    2x6, 1xfailure 200 lbs

DB flyes,
    2x8 WU 30 lb per arm,
    3x20 40 lb per arm

DB incline bench
    2x8 WU 35 per arm
    3x15 50 per arm

For future reference, how much does the bar count for on the smith machine?
    I've done Google searches, which led me to threads on forums where the general consensus is that it adds 10 lbs to the weight of the plates. Is this accurate, or does it vary from make and model?
    Last edited by Jeremyn87; 02-01-2010 at 11:50 PM.

KyleRipsShit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Great overall post. I like it when its clear that you've read the program before commenting on it

As far as cardio, you can perform as much low intensity cardio (65% of max heart rate) as you want. I list a cardio session or two during the week, along with some stretching and light complex work.

Your high rep days will tax your cardio system as well. I don't recommend doing intervals with GST, it could cause problems with feeling fresh on your lifting days.

As far as cardio for weight loss is concerned, I'm a believer in diet for weight loss. Its possible to cut down with no cardio, I've done it myself. Also, if you're using GST for a bulk, too much cardio is a bad thing as well. One or two low intensity sessions a week should be fine for any goal.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    My Day 1 workout / testing (ran into a few diff problems)... was the following:

Stretched as normal and ran half a mile to get my adrenaline going (WOULD HIGHLY LIKE SOME ADVICE ON PRE WORKOUT SUPPLEMENTS ETC, ONLY IF YOU HAVE USED THEM YOURSELF, I BOUGHT NO-LOADED, AN NO-XPLODE KNOCK OFF AND ALL IT DOES IS BLOW MY STOMACH UP AND READ IT HAS AS MUCH CAFFEINE AS A GOD DAMN STARBUCKS! EEEEK!)... so I discontinued using it and don't take any pre workout stuff ATM.

BB Front Squat .. or what was supposed to be front squats but I didn't feel comfortable with that and never rly got the form down correctly (to where the legs are independently exercised and isolated in the workout), so instead I did basic BB Back? (Normal) Squats-3x8
    (Any advice about if that is an OK core lift or not would be appreciated. I don't think front squats are to my advantage personally being that my current form conflicts so much with the goal of the lift...)

BB Lunges... which wow I think it'd be MIGHTY handy to put that it'd be best not to use the default BB (it's too long and almost knocked quite a few mofos out at the gym lmao) and rather to use a shortened BB weight set which is SIGNIFICANTLY shorter in length and helps especially in busier gyms w/ less room available. Played around a bit and found I started too high, like you said the supplement lifts are for anyways - to gauge your personal limits. 4x8... kinda off target but it is what it is, it'll be adjusted next time.

Single Leg Press... also started too high but finished strong at a good 4x10-12reps.

Then ran another Mile and a Half really pushing myself and stopping a few times initially to workout the kinks in my legs and felt pretty fatigued after some awkward learning on the supplement lifts, but then really got kicking after that was alright and rly felt my full adrenaline rush and getting a serious sweat on.

I saw that supplement lifts as far as your GST program is concerned u recommend to keep for a recommended two macrocycles... sorry if this has been answered... but what about core lifts... switch those up between microcycles/macrocycles possibly? (to stimulate unworked differentiating muscle groups?)

N wowwwwww, I totally forgot to incorporate the AMRAP set altogether. Going back reading looks like that set is intended only for the core workout of the day is that correct? Keeping the supplement sets consistent.
    Last edited by KyleRipsShit; 02-02-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Another few questions:

Anyone currently/ever used testosterone boosters? (I am currently unemployed and always have been quite nocturnal... I am going to adjust to putting my carbs at the begininng / middle of my day (before I go to gym, because I usually go at night) ... I may not and probably couldn't benefit from testosterone boosters too much at my age (21) is what I have gathered from reading up and it just makes logical sense... but I def have those days where I am just physically drained and have 0 motivation (sometimes not even from overtraining) and so artificially get into workout mode and don't achieve nearly what I could on an energetic / motivated day...

How about fish oils or flax seed oil? ... In case anyone was wondering I do use the search button as well as google before I ask these questions. Just rly not too much helpful info on this site particularly bout this. I have fair dry and pale skin and I feel like I am missing something out of my diet that others don't or something because sometimes in my workouts Ill just dry up so fast and be like dead looking. (probably dehydration most of the time...), but if any of you have used or know any useful stuff bout either of these products please let me know.

Last but not least... lmao u guys r like get this ****ing guy outta here already... im sure... but what does WU and BW stand for. Just not used to some of these acronyms... some were no brainers, some idk. Gotta look up some of these lifts because I don't know them off hand, youtube probably best bet? Gonna get into my Pull day tomorrow, pretty excited to get a week of this in... gives me dejavu of training for football season.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE. REALLY!!
    Last edited by KyleRipsShit; 02-02-2010 at 03:39 AM.

quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've tried a lot of test "boosters" and I assure you that for the most part, they are placebic in effect. For those of you who are about to blast me with your stupid anecdotes and brologic, first consider that libido doesn't necessarily mean increased test levels, and if your longjack, tribulus or whatever is raising it, SHOW ME THE LAB TESTS!
    Funny how those are virtually nonexistent from independent labs...but of course affiliated "lab" reports, doctors "endorsements" and the like are resplendent.
    There IS the possibility of Tribusol (yes, which has trib in it) of being effective IMO, because of it's use by some RAW powerlifters with success, who happen to be of the Christian persuasion and whose threads I've followed for a while - no reason to endorse aside of results. I believe two of them are getting tests done.
    If you believe something is happening, why, it must be true.
    But if your numbers come up, it may be true.
    If independent testing says so, it's true...In your case.
    Also, consider that the hormone spikes you get from working out are basal, minimal at best as would be increased test from herbal assistance. Coming up say, 1-200 points inside of your natty test levels is not going to put you in a great anabolic state that will turn you into RC this month. All I'm sayin' here is you should really think about what you want to spend your hard earned bucks on. After all, steak is expensive...but it works. The truly amazing thing I've found out about test boosters is how many of them DON'T work.
    Warm Up and Body Weight.
    Last edited by quadancer; 02-02-2010 at 07:53 AM.
    I do because I can.
    I can because I do.

...and I don't care what you used to lift.

cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KyleRips**** View Post
    Another few questions:

Anyone currently/ever used testosterone boosters? (I am currently unemployed and always have been quite nocturnal... I am going to adjust to putting my carbs at the begininng / middle of my day (before I go to gym, because I usually go at night) ... I may not and probably couldn't benefit from testosterone boosters too much at my age (21) is what I have gathered from reading up and it just makes logical sense... but I def have those days where I am just physically drained and have 0 motivation (sometimes not even from overtraining) and so artificially get into workout mode and don't achieve nearly what I could on an energetic / motivated day...

How about fish oils or flax seed oil? ... In case anyone was wondering I do use the search button as well as google before I ask these questions. Just rly not too much helpful info on this site particularly bout this. I have fair dry and pale skin and I feel like I am missing something out of my diet that others don't or something because sometimes in my workouts Ill just dry up so fast and be like dead looking. (probably dehydration most of the time...), but if any of you have used or know any useful stuff bout either of these products please let me know.

Last but not least... lmao u guys r like get this ****ing guy outta here already... im sure... but what does WU and BW stand for. Just not used to some of these acronyms... some were no brainers, some idk. Gotta look up some of these lifts because I don't know them off hand, youtube probably best bet? Gonna get into my Pull day tomorrow, pretty excited to get a week of this in... gives me dejavu of training for football season.

Kyle,
    I'm a research guy when it comes to supplements. What that means is....I never trust advertising. I do my own research on products and then test the ones I'm interested in on myself. When testing, I never use two products at the same time. What better way to see if it produces any results. Now that you know that....Test boosters, especially at your age, are worthless. You can naturally boost your own test production by eating appropriate macronutrients, lifting and letting yourself recover, and SLEEPING. Avoid unhealthy habits. You'd have to eat a truckload of Trib to make a difference. Why not spend your money on things that you can use.
    Pre-Workout supps...A powder form is best. Rapid absorption, better utilization. Most will have caffeine and beta-alamnine, some will have niacin. They beta-alanine will give some people a "flushed" effect that indicates a dilation of the capillary flow. That's a simple way to know it's working for you. Watch out for Niacin products, some people are sensitive to it and can have severe responses. I've tried several products and the one I like best is Scivations Vasocharge. 2 scoops 15-30 minutes before your workout and good to go. Just mix it in a little water.
    As far as the Fish oil question.....there are varying opinions. A good one will have a happy mix of Omega-3 and Omega-6 with the oils coming from a variety of fish. The downside of fishoil is that it makes a lot of people burp "fish" all day. Ive only found two varieties that don't....Naturesway "burpless" fish oil geltabs and Scivations Essential FA. You can buy the naturesway at any grocery store and Scivations you can buy on here.
    Hope this helps.
    Chris
    Team Scivation member

m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Looks great

Thanks for sharing this program. It looks and sounds terrific.

I am currently in the middle of an HST cycle which I have really enjoyed.

Do you recommend coming into this routine right out of the HST program?

HST suggests a Strategic Deconditioning phase - just straight up rest - for 9-10 days. Should I do that before starting your routine?

Thank you very much.

slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation

Another few questions:

Originally Posted by quadancer View Post
    I've tried a lot of test "boosters" and I assure you that for the most part, they are placebic in effect. For those of you who are about to blast me with your stupid anecdotes and brologic, first consider that libido doesn't necessarily mean increased test levels, and if your longjack, tribulus or whatever is raising it, SHOW ME THE LAB TESTS!
    Funny how those are virtually nonexistent from independent labs...but of course affiliated "lab" reports, doctors "endorsements" and the like are resplendent.
    There IS the possibility of Tribusol (yes, which has trib in it) of being effective IMO, because of it's use by some RAW powerlifters with success, who happen to be of the Christian persuasion and whose threads I've followed for a while - no reason to endorse aside of results. I believe two of them are getting tests done.
    If you believe something is happening, why, it must be true.
    But if your numbers come up, it may be true.
    If independent testing says so, it's true...In your case.
    Also, consider that the hormone spikes you get from working out are basal, minimal at best as would be increased test from herbal assistance. Coming up say, 1-200 points inside of your natty test levels is not going to put you in a great anabolic state that will turn you into RC this month. All I'm sayin' here is you should really think about what you want to spend your hard earned bucks on. After all, steak is expensive...but it works. The truly amazing thing I've found out about test boosters is how many of them DON'T work.
    Warm Up and Body Weight.
    Originally Posted by cjackway View Post
    Kyle,
    I'm a research guy when it comes to supplements. What that means is....I never trust advertising. I do my own research on products and then test the ones I'm interested in on myself. When testing, I never use two products at the same time. What better way to see if it produces any results. Now that you know that....Test boosters, especially at your age, are worthless. You can naturally boost your own test production by eating appropriate macronutrients, lifting and letting yourself recover, and SLEEPING. Avoid unhealthy habits. You'd have to eat a truckload of Trib to make a difference. Why not spend your money on things that you can use.
    Pre-Workout supps...A powder form is best. Rapid absorption, better utilization. Most will have caffeine and beta-alamnine, some will have niacin. They beta-alanine will give some people a "flushed" effect that indicates a dilation of the capillary flow. That's a simple way to know it's working for you. Watch out for Niacin products, some people are sensitive to it and can have severe responses. I've tried several products and the one I like best is Scivations Vasocharge. 2 scoops 15-30 minutes before your workout and good to go. Just mix it in a little water.
    As far as the Fish oil question.....there are varying opinions. A good one will have a happy mix of Omega-3 and Omega-6 with the oils coming from a variety of fish. The downside of fishoil is that it makes a lot of people burp "fish" all day. Ive only found two varieties that don't....Naturesway "burpless" fish oil geltabs and Scivations Essential FA. You can buy the naturesway at any grocery store and Scivations you can buy on here.
    Hope this helps.
    Chris
    Getting a little off subject here guys! Not bad information or questions but remember this is a GST thread.
    Current Stats/Goals
    Weight: 205/215
    Squat: 385/405
    Bench: 275/305
    Deadlift: 445/500
    ==============
    Lifts Total: 1105/1210

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by m.c View Post
    Thanks for sharing this program. It looks and sounds terrific.

I am currently in the middle of an HST cycle which I have really enjoyed.

Do you recommend coming into this routine right out of the HST program?

HST suggests a Strategic Deconditioning phase - just straight up rest - for 9-10 days. Should I do that before starting your routine?

Thank you very much.
    I would follow the HST recommendation and take that rest. Its there for a reason, and HST is a popular plan, so it must be designed by knowledgeable people. Take their advice.
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Great

Like I said, your program looks great.

Can't wait to get started on it.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Another few questions:

I'd chime in, but I think its been about covered. Quadancer is full of solid real life experience on this subject. The other replies are solid as well. Thanks for the info everyone. His point about increased libido not meaning increased test is a good point. I've been jaded by that effect in the past, and realized that it was not an indicator of test levels.

My opinion that unless you inject it, its not going to be much better than quality meals and hard training.

I'm basically a supplement minimalist. For example, right now I just take a vitamin, fish oil, and ZMA for my supps. Oh, I also take Xtend because I'm cutting for the next 10 weeks.

Originally Posted by m.c View Post
    Like I said, your program looks great.

Can't wait to get started on it.
    Ya budaaaaaaay!

cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by slpyne View Post
    Getting a little off subject here guys! Not bad information or questions but remember this is a GST thread.
    It's not off subject if we're answering a legitimate question that is posed to the forum.
    Team Scivation member

Originally Posted by Jeremyn87 View Post
    Explosive pushups 2x8

Smith BB flat bench,
    3x8 WU 150 lbs,
    2x6, 1xfailure 200 lbs

DB flyes,
    2x8 WU 30 lb per arm,
    3x20 40 lb per arm

DB incline bench
    2x8 WU 35 per arm
    3x15 50 per arm

For future reference, how much does the bar count for on the smith machine?
    I've done Google searches, which led me to threads on forums where the general consensus is that it adds 10 lbs to the weight of the plates. Is this accurate, or does it vary from make and model?
    I'd just count the bar as 15 and call it a day.

It's not off subject if we're answering a legitimate question that is posed to the forum.
    No ewars in this thread, haha. Slpyne, I'm ok with anything being discussed in here that relates to training, nutrition, or supplements.

The more info that a person can get from this thread, the better.

Onto the next thought!

My Day 1 workout / testing (ran into a few diff problems)... was the following:

Stretched as normal and ran half a mile to get my adrenaline going (WOULD HIGHLY LIKE SOME ADVICE ON PRE WORKOUT SUPPLEMENTS ETC, ONLY IF YOU HAVE USED THEM YOURSELF, I BOUGHT NO-LOADED, AN NO-XPLODE KNOCK OFF AND ALL IT DOES IS BLOW MY STOMACH UP AND READ IT HAS AS MUCH CAFFEINE AS A GOD DAMN STARBUCKS! EEEEK!)... so I discontinued using it and don't take any pre workout stuff ATM.
    I don't advocate any stimulants preworkout, as I'm not a fan of them personally. If they help you up your game, more power to you. I think they are very overpriced though.

BB Front Squat .. or what was supposed to be front squats but I didn't feel comfortable with that and never rly got the form down correctly (to where the legs are independently exercised and isolated in the workout), so instead I did basic BB Back? (Normal) Squats-3x8
    (Any advice about if that is an OK core lift or not would be appreciated. I don't think front squats are to my advantage personally being that my current form conflicts so much with the goal of the lift...)
    Back squats are a perfect core lift. They are on the list

BB Lunges... which wow I think it'd be MIGHTY handy to put that it'd be best not to use the default BB (it's too long and almost knocked quite a few mofos out at the gym lmao) and rather to use a shortened BB weight set which is SIGNIFICANTLY shorter in length and helps especially in busier gyms w/ less room available. Played around a bit and found I started too high, like you said the supplement lifts are for anyways - to gauge your personal limits. 4x8... kinda off target but it is what it is, it'll be adjusted next time.

Single Leg Press... also started too high but finished strong at a good 4x10-12reps.

Then ran another Mile and a Half really pushing myself and stopping a few times initially to workout the kinks in my legs and felt pretty fatigued after some awkward learning on the supplement lifts, but then really got kicking after that was alright and rly felt my full adrenaline rush and getting a serious sweat on.

I saw that supplement lifts as far as your GST program is concerned u recommend to keep for a recommended two macrocycles... sorry if this has been answered... but what about core lifts... switch those up between microcycles/macrocycles possibly? (to stimulate unworked differentiating muscle groups?)
    I recommened running the core lifts until you burnout strengthwise, or mentally. I don't want you bored! Boredom can ruin a good program, seriously.

N wowwwwww, I totally forgot to incorporate the AMRAP set altogether. Going back reading looks like that set is intended only for the core workout of the day is that correct? Keeping the supplement sets consistent.
    Yes, only the core lift 3rd set.

wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man, doing Squats today and I had a little problem..

My Core was Barbell Back Squats..

Basically I thought I had my Reps calculated okay and I did my first 2 sets of 2x8 okay, they were hard but not to failure. However my last amrap set I managed to do 17reps and I think I might have been able to do a few more !(I foolishly didn't go to total failure). Do you think that as I clearly have underestimated myself I should increase the weight for next week? Because as currently it is clearly far too easy to wait for 3 more weeks to add weight.

Cheers

msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50) msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50) msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50) msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50) msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50) msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50) msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50) msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50) msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50) msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50) msucurt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'll chime in. You obviously set you 1RM way too low if you were able to get 17 reps on your 3rd (AMRAP set). I think typically on your 3rd core set, you should get anywhere from 10-15 (if you are doing the 3x8 week). If i were you, i would just bump up my max lift up a little and go from there. Or perhaps go into the gym on your off day or weekend and test your 1RM or 3RM and calculate from there.

later

Originally Posted by wasdax View Post

Basically I thought I had my Reps calculated okay and I did my first 2 sets of 2x8 okay, they were hard but not to failure. However my last amrap set I managed to do 17reps and I think I might have been able to do a few more !(I foolishly didn't go to total failure). Do you think that as I clearly have underestimated myself I should increase the weight for next week? Because as currently it is clearly far too easy to wait for 3 more weeks to add weight.

Cheers

Cheers
    You are more of a beginner right? Can you tell me about your level of experience and how long you've been lifting? Also, how many pounds did you use for your one rep max?

These answers make a difference on how I will answer your question, so let me know. Then I can give you the best answer.

evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can't take cred for this vid, but I can tell you that I approve of this form!

This guy shows excellent form and control. In my eyes, the good morning is basically a romanian deadlift with the barbell in squat position. Bending the knees is mandatory, and so is pushing the hips back as far as possible to elicit a hamstring stretch and keep the barbell above the feet.

Don't let some suckers at your gym tell you that you should lock your knees. Thats a great way to hurt your lower back and I would NEVER tell a client to do that.
    Thanks 2020, It wasn't just some sucker that brought it up to my attention, he's the captain of my university's rugby team and seems knowledgable, that is why i questioned my form, but thank you i see it now.
    Supps:

ON Whey Protein
    Higher Power Nutrition Micronized Creatine
    Multi-Vitamin
    Vitamin C
    Fish Oil

slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slpyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're right! After I posted it I read it and thought it was kinda gay and not my place to be the epolice, oh well.

No ewars in this thread, haha. Slpyne, I'm ok with anything being discussed in here that relates to training, nutrition, or supplements.

The more info that a person can get from this thread, the better.

Onto the next thought!
    No worries, I'm not an ewar type of guy.
    Current Stats/Goals
    Weight: 205/215
    Squat: 385/405
    Bench: 275/305
    Deadlift: 445/500
    ==============
    Lifts Total: 1105/1210

You're right! After I posted it I read it and thought it was kinda gay and not my place to be the epolice, oh well.

Didn't think you were. I knew that as you posted it, you realized it was not your type of thing to do

This thread is gonna get massive though, and I expect some way off topic discussions in the future.

wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasdax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are more of a beginner right? Can you tell me about your level of experience and how long you've been lifting? Also, how many pounds did you use for your one rep max?

These answers make a difference on how I will answer your question, so let me know. Then I can give you the best answer.
    Yeah I am a beginner, only been training for less than a year or so, and when I first started I trained like crap so only been training seriously since recently. I calculated my supposed 1RM based on what I thought was my 5RM, and it came out as around 160lbs.

As I was doing 70% I loaded up about 110lbs on the bar (we use KG at my gym).

Thanks for all the help guys. And after Day2 Pull I feel good and it seemed lots easier than the first day's Squats, as I am probably in quite a bit better shape in my upper body atm? I am really kind of worrying about losing my endurance off of this program tho and my cardio conditioning... after Squat day my calves had it... probably especially because I did 3 sets of heavy calves as well on Squat day... so it actually hurt to jog today (Day2). Also am worried about abs, I see those two areas missing out on exercise in general - must this be a sacrifice to some extent when getting bigger and stronger are the primary focus?

Also was wondering if doing 3 days in a row was a wise choice if I am feeling ok to go on Press being not sore at all rly in my upper body going into Day3 (following the Day1-Squat, Day2-Pull, Day3-Press guideline) I don't see this being a problem with the 24-72hr isolated major muscle group reparation period, if you will.

Def gonna be giving fish oil a shot, from all the reviews I don't see how it could possibly hurt, and DEF gonna stay away from stinky ones w/ fish burps... honestly wtf!? lol.

Yeah I am a beginner, only been training for less than a year or so, and when I first started I trained like crap so only been training seriously since recently. I calculated my supposed 1RM based on what I thought was my 5RM, and it came out as around 160lbs.

As I was doing 70% I loaded up about 110lbs on the bar (we use KG at my gym).
    Since you are a beginner, it is just fine that you got higher reps. Its typical. You see, as you become more advanced, you are able to put more intensity and effort into your lifts. You are able to lift more weight for a 1RM, as you learn how to put everything you've got into that lift.

70% of advanced intensity and effort and 70% of beginner intensity and effort are going to differ in terms of how stressful they are on the body. The more advanced you are, the fewer reps I expect you to get on the AMRAP sets, and vice versa.

The one thing I don't want you to do is start upping your maxes like crazy just because you are getting more reps than you think you should. That would be a mistake and wouldn't be ideal.

Stick with your initial max numbers. You chose them for a reason. There will be plenty of time to increase them as you complete multiple macrocycles! This is a marathon, not a sprint.

For a beginner, go ahead and give a 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100% core lift schedule a shot.

1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1harud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i am a 110 pound freshmen in wrestling. Will i still be able to do this program because i plan on making my workout schedule 2nite

quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quadancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Of all the kids in my gym, I think MOST of them are on the wrestling team! Weightlifting is probably the best thing there is for training for it. Personally, I'd wonder the same as you, if this program would be the optimal one for it. I'm sure Ryan has some tweaks that would work.
    I do because I can.
    I can because I do.

...and I don't care what you used to lift.

No harm, no foul. I just want everyone to succeed. Let's stick together and keep rockin the GST!!
    Team Scivation member

Thanks for all the help guys. And after Day2 Pull I feel good and it seemed lots easier than the first day's Squats, as I am probably in quite a bit better shape in my upper body atm? I am really kind of worrying about losing my endurance off of this program tho and my cardio conditioning... after Squat day my calves had it... probably especially because I did 3 sets of heavy calves as well on Squat day... so it actually hurt to jog today (Day2). Also am worried about abs, I see those two areas missing out on exercise in general - must this be a sacrifice to some extent when getting bigger and stronger are the primary focus?

Also was wondering if doing 3 days in a row was a wise choice if I am feeling ok to go on Press being not sore at all rly in my upper body going into Day3 (following the Day1-Squat, Day2-Pull, Day3-Press guideline) I don't see this being a problem with the 24-72hr isolated major muscle group reparation period, if you will.

Def gonna be giving fish oil a shot, from all the reviews I don't see how it could possibly hurt, and DEF gonna stay away from stinky ones w/ fish burps... honestly wtf!? lol.
    Kyle,
    I initially wondered about the Abs as well. After doing this program for 2 solid weeks, I realized that through the type of lifts we're doing you are getting a lot of ab work. If you're properly stabilizing your core through the lifts you'll notice a difference. For some additional conditioning, I may eventually throw a few sets in at the end of my Pull day.
    Team Scivation member

Closed Thread