wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500)

Wearing a belt when back squatting.

When training for oly lifting should I wear a belt during my last heavy working sets of back squats?

Ive decided I dont yet want to for Front Squats since Im new to them and I dont think its a good idea, plus its such a great core workout at this point.

gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i do

madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by wannabepl47 View Post
    When training for oly lifting should I wear a belt during my last heavy working sets of back squats?

Ive decided I dont yet want to for Front Squats since Im new to them and I dont think its a good idea, plus its such a great core workout at this point.
    If you're fairly new to Oly-style back squatting, I wouldn't bother with a belt until:

1. You've become quite proficient and have cycled up to a max over a few months training several times in the past,
    ...or...
    2. You have preexisting back conditions that make a belt necessary, on the advice of someone who knows what they're talking about,
    ...or...
    3. Ever.

Short answer: For most people, most of the time, no belt should be necessary.

Also, for Olympic lifting specifically, you should rarely be working up to a max single, since the back squat is an accessory lift, and not a competitive lift, so wearing a belt is kind of moot. And on front squats, the lower back is taken out of the movement quite a bit, and the weight used is much less than back squats, so again, using a belt is moot.

Unless you're gewalt.

gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    cuz my legs are weak so i can use a belt to get my legs moving more weights

madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gewaltiger View Post
    cuz my legs are weak so i can use a belt to get my legs moving more weights
    Get your legs strong first, then the belt'll help you lift even even more more.

Well, first of all we need to get you a seriously big chunk of time you can devote to building leg strength, so it's all moot at the present... so in the meantime, just keep doing what you're doing.

what, sucking? k

Originally Posted by gewaltiger View Post
    what, sucking? k
    I think you hit "submit reply" before you finished typing k-lokov. And you don't need that question mark.

ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP, what are your lifts?

BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by wannabepl47 View Post

You have it backwards-
    IF you decide you want to train with a crutch (belt, wraps, etc) then the front squat is where you would want to use it. It will help your core stay tight when you do them. It is much harder to keep your chest up in the FS, than Bs, so it might be helpful when you have a weak or fatigued lower back.

The BS is a direct carryover for the snatch and overall body power. Using a belt for this is pointless because it is not letting your core become stronger which you NEED to be a good overhead lifter. Staying over the bar during the lifts takes a strong lower back and if you train with a belt you are helping to never grow this muscle that you need badly.

IMO, stay away from ALL supportive gear and GET BIG! There will always be a weak link in the chain. Weather it is a delt, lat, quad, etc just keep lifting and eliminate all weaknesses and you will eventually be one bad mother!

boys we got problem SquatzAndPuke's Avatar
    SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BrozKnows View Post
    You have it backwards-
    IF you decide you want to train with a crutch (belt, wraps, etc) then the front squat is where you would want to use it. It will help your core stay tight when you do them. It is much harder to keep your chest up in the FS, than Bs, so it might be helpful when you have a weak or fatigued lower back.

The BS is a direct carryover for the snatch and overall body power. Using a belt for this is pointless because it is not letting your core become stronger which you NEED to be a good overhead lifter. Staying over the bar during the lifts takes a strong lower back and if you train with a belt you are helping to never grow this muscle that you need badly.

IMO, stay away from ALL supportive gear and GET BIG! There will always be a weak link in the chain. Weather it is a delt, lat, quad, etc just keep lifting and eliminate all weaknesses and you will eventually be one bad mother!
    You're obviously a succesful coach and I respect your opinion, but please explain to me how a belt is a "crutch" and how wearing a belt makes you "not grow lower back muscles".
    Last edited by SquatzAndPuke; 12-30-2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Loggage:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121377021

"If I have to chew through someone's a$$hole to get to their balls, I will go back for seconds if that means a better chance at winning." -Arlecchino

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    i am very anti belt... never have and never will use one...

would not advocate someone to wear one unless they have had past injuries...
    Last edited by scott_donald; 12-31-2009 at 04:06 AM.

BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SquatzAndPuke View Post
    You're obviously a succesful coach and I respect your opinion, but please explain to me how a belt is a "crutch" and how wearing a belt makes you "not grow lower back muscles".

Obviously, if you can do more with then it then without and its helps to assist your apparent weakness, well then its a - A PHYSICAL crutch.

If you can do the same with and without then it is a MENTAL crutch. Either way it's a crutch!

If there is a physical weakness that needs to grow, by continuing to use a belt it further procrastinates the time process for strengthening this weak link in your chain. Suck it up, toss it in the trash and go get big!

My philosophy is this: Your not going to compete forever - some not at all. If that's the case, then why do we train? We lift to be fit, strong and live longer. If you have an obvious weakness, either mental or physical why not work it out? That's why it's called TRAINING. we train to get STRONGER and eliminate weaknesses.

If someone calls you to help move a couch are you first gonna run and grab your belt ?
    Last edited by BrozKnows; 12-31-2009 at 07:39 PM.

boys we got problem SquatzAndPuke's Avatar
    SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000) SquatzAndPuke is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BrozKnows View Post
    Obviously, if you can do more with then it then without and its helps to assist your apparent weakness, well then its a - A PHYSICAL crutch.

If you can do the same with and without then it is a MENTAL crutch. Either way it's a crutch!
    I don't look at it as a crutch, but rather as a tool - a tool that can add quite a bit of weight to your lifts. The goal of weightlifting competition is to lift more weight than your competitors, so it seems foolish to not use a completely legal tool to your advantage to do so.

If there is a physical weakness that needs to grow, by continuing to use a belt it further procrastinates the time process for strengthening this weak link in your chain. Suck it up, toss it in the trash and go get big!
    Using a belt does not consitute a physical weakness...using a belt allows you to increase pressure inside your thorax by constricting it, which is something that you can't do without a belt regardless of how strong your abs and lower back are. Your lower back and abs are still working hard when wearing a belt, except now they're doing it with more weight on your back, so it stands to reason that they will get stressed at least as much, if not more, than if you were squatting beltless with less weight. So even if a belt doesn't considerably change core envolvement(I think it increases core involvement, but that's beside the point) it gives you the chance to get your legs stronger without your core holding you back.

My philosophy is this: Your not going to compete forever - some not at all. If that's the case, then why do we train? We lift to be fit, strong and live longer. If you have an obvious weakness, either mental or physical why not work it out? That's why it's called TRAINING. we train to get STRONGER and eliminate weaknesses.
    I dunno if lifting will help me live longer, but you're right, most of us lift to be stronger. A belt lets you lift more weight, which makes you stronger. A belt also protects the spine to some extent, so that you can be healthier.

If someone calls you to help move a couch are you first gonna run and grab your belt ?
    No, because thankfully couches aren't that heavy and wearing a belt has made me strong enough to move a couch without wearing one
    Loggage:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121377021

"If I have to chew through someone's a$$hole to get to their balls, I will go back for seconds if that means a better chance at winning." -Arlecchino

VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VelocityDiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lol @ 19 yo w/ sh!t stats thinking the 41yo coach is wrong LOL

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't look at it as a crutch, but rather as a tool - a tool that can add quite a bit of weight to your lifts. The goal of weightlifting competition is to lift more weight than your competitors, so it seems foolish to not use a completely legal tool to your advantage to do so.
    I think belts (and other gear) play a much bigger role and add a lot more to a powerlifting total than a weightlifting total.

Just my opinion, but I can see a belt allowing more weight to be lifted on a deadlift or squat, but I don't think there are many lifters who snatch significantly more with a belt than without.
    Last edited by J.L.C.; 01-03-2010 at 12:06 AM.

AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    I think belts (and other gear) play a much bigger role and add a lot more to a powerlifting total than a weightlifting total.

Just my opinion, but I can see a belt allowing more weight to be lifted on a deadlift or squat, but I don't think there are many lifters who snatch significantly more with a belt than without.
    Yeah, I agree. Although I think they can add a bit to the clean unless your squat/pulling ability is much higher than your clean.

ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post

First part I totally agree with.

The second part is where it gets a little murky IMO. I wear a belt in the clean, not because I have to (clean is ~110, FS is 160 and DL is ~220), but because it keeps my core tight and I can worry about other things. When I wear a belt, the first pull and the squat are easier, and in a competition, that leaves me feeling fresher for my next attempt.

same reason why i started wearing belts. ofcourse ill do beltless sets of squats and cleans and w/e, but when i do PRs im always wearing a belt.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I only use a belt on heaviest sets of squats and deadlifts, never needed it on anything else; I think it helps keep my core tight and upright since I bend over naturally on anything squat related even without the bar involved
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by VelocityDiet View Post
    I am a 41 year old coach as well.

There is no evidence to support the statement that proper utilization of a belt will inhibit the growth of the erector muscles.

Anyone stating so will, of course, be happy to provide actual support for this.

Age has nothing to do with being a good coach or being able to present easy-to-understand logical reasoning to support the advice you give.

And if the advice provided doesn't pass the smell test, then questioning it should be mandatory, not scorned.

RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is completely uncalled for. Having a rational disagreement with someone is the hallmark of discourse. Being a huge, steaming pile of retard contributes nothing.

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by RyHam View Post
    This is completely uncalled for. Having a rational disagreement with someone is the hallmark of discourse. Being a huge, steaming pile of retard contributes nothing.
    Hey now . . .

Let's not turn this into the misc.

Thanks guys.