Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sdahe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

30 Minutes of Cardio - every day!

Hello Guys,

Is 30 minutes of cardio everyday for 5 days a week good enough to lose weight fast?

I'm 6'3" tall and a month ago when I started in the GYM I was in 235 pounds... now I'm at 225.
    Last edited by sdahe; 12-29-2009 at 12:54 PM.

RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sdahe View Post
    Hello Guys,

Is 30 minutes of cardio everyday for 5 days a week good enough to lose weight fast?

I'm 6'3" tall and a month ago when I started in the GYM I was in 235 pounds... now I'm at 235.
    What does your diet consist of?
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    http://www.GuruFuel.com - Hardware, Software, Programming, Hacking.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    .......when I started in the GYM I was in 235 pounds... now I'm at 235.
    So obviously the gym time isn't working.....

DIET determines how much weight you lose. Tells us about that.... everything else is much less important.

OK, I try to keep my calories intake in 1,900 calories or less.

Breakfast - around 300 calories (oatmeal, whey shake and water)

Snack - 90 calories (yogurt)

Lunch - around 600 calries (usually a chicken breast with vegetables)

Dinner - around 300 to 450 (small meal like a sandwish)

I get 4 scoops of the whey proteins shake durin the day. One scoop before workout, two scoops after workout and one scoop with dinner. There are like 480 calories
    Last edited by sdahe; 12-29-2009 at 12:26 PM.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OK, I try to keep my calories intake in 1,900 calories or less.

Breakfast - around 350 to 400 calories (oatmeal, whey shake and water)

Lunch - around 650 calries (usually a chicken breast with vegetables)

Dinner - around 400 to 500 (small meal like a sandwish)
    So.... You're telling us that you've been honest on this diet for the past month and have lost ZERO pounds? At 6;3" and 235????

Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    So.... You're telling us that you've been honest on this diet for the past month and have lost ZERO pounds? At 6;3" and 235????
    I said I was 235 a month ago when I started in the gym and now I'm 225 (lost 10 pounds). I'm just asking if the cardio that I'm doing is good... or I'm I doing too much or not?... oh, and I'm doing weights too during the week.

ahn.tae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i eat 8times a day .......
    ermmm

break down the portions???

also you do weight training as well right?

Originally Posted by ahn.tae View Post
    ermmm

Yes... I do weights 4 days a week (monday, tuesday, thursday and friday)

I said I was 235 a month ago when I started in the gym and now I'm 225 (lost 10 pounds). I'm just asking if the cardio that I'm doing is good... or I'm I doing too much or not?... oh, and I'm doing weights too during the week.
    You had better edit your first post as it shows 235.... no weight loss.

You've lost 10 pounds in a month. That is plenty...no need to speed up the weight loss.

The bottom line with cardio is that it is one way to burn calories. Very roughly 30 minutes of strenuous cardio is worth 500 calories per day or about an extra pound of weight loss per week IF you maintain your current diet. Whether that is enough for you is your decision. More cardio, more weight loss.... Again, IF the diet remains constant.... Drink a gatorade after cardio and your extra weight loss is gone.....

Many people decide cardio isn't worth the time and effort in regards to weight loss as controlling what you put in your mouth is much easier.

Looks like you are on a good path though!

You had better edit your first post as it shows 235.... no weight loss.

You've lost 10 pounds in a month. That is plenty...no need to speed up the weight loss.

The bottom line with cardio is that it is one way to burn calories. Very roughly 30 minutes of strenuous cardio is worth 500 calories per day or about an extra pound of weight loss per week IF you maintain your current diet. Whether that is enough for you is your decision. More cardio, more weight loss.... Again, IF the diet remains constant.... Drink a gatorade after cardio and your extra weight loss is gone.....

Many people decide cardio isn't worth the time and effort in regards to weight loss as controlling what you put in your mouth is much easier.

Looks like you are on a good path though!
    Thank you very much... I edited the first post, sorry!...

I didn't understand what you said about drinking a gatorade after cardio...

Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boakey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think what he meant is that 30 minutes of cardio burns about as much calories as a Gatorade, so drinking one after cardio would negate the effort.
    *****OFFICIAL MISC PHOTOGRAPHY CREW*****

"Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase."
    - Joseph Pilates

Most people have no clue as to how few of calories they burn doing cardio and most people have no idea how many calories a regular gatorade has.

You see it in the gym all the time.... Someone putting in a half-assed cardio workout (barely breaking a sweat) and burning maybe 200 calories.... then feeling good about themselves they drink a gatorade that has over 200 calories in it. Net gain... ZERO!!! Then they can't understand why they aren't losing weight!

If you are going to do 30 minutes of cardio... make sure you leave with a sweat drenched shirt...then make sure you don't give up the calories burned by drinking a bunch of calories afterwards!

jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you very much... I edited the first post, sorry!...

I think he is just advising you to not drink a gatorade immediately after your cardio. Don't have any sugars immediately after. It will cause an insulin spike and your body will stop the fat burning process.
    Trying to go from keg to 6 pack!!!
    June 7, 2009 242 lbs
    March 30, 2010 179 lbs

Run until it hurts belairdfence99's Avatar
    belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ahn.tae View Post
    ermmm

You don't need to eat that many times....Whatever works.

And to the people complaining about a gatorade, it doesn't matter, overall calories is what matters. Drinking the calories at workout time is not what is going to make or break it. In fact I would get most of my calories before workout for energy and then a good bit for muscle repair after your workout.
    **MISC Running Crew**

You are what you eat, love what you are.

"are u guys fuking wizard chefs??? surely u don't eat like this all the time...." TheDarkKnight27

I may or may not have gotten my avi idea from American_Psycho

Thanks for the advise but I only drink water after my cardio... just water so I think I'm good there. The only thing I drink after the cardio and weights workout is a whey protein shake (two scoops)

MP4AU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not sure why you are asking this. You have a solid diet, your running 5 times a week, and lifting 4 days a week. You lost 10 lbs last month... and during the holidays i'm assuming. Thats a good month. Just keep up what your doing cause its working.

Originally Posted by MP4AU View Post
    Not sure why you are asking this. You have a solid diet, your running 5 times a week, and lifting 4 days a week. You lost 10 lbs last month... and during the holidays i'm assuming. Thats a good month. Just keep up what your doing cause its working.
    Thanks... I really wanted to know if I was doing OK... thanks!

Natty, Umad brah? Backtothestack's Avatar
    Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500) Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500) Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500) Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500) Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500) Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500) Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500) Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500) Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500) Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500) Backtothestack is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by jhbrotherton1 View Post
    I think he is just advising you to not drink a gatorade immediately after your cardio. Don't have any sugars immediately after. It will cause an insulin spike and your body will stop the fat burning process.
    SO if he lifted weights and then hit his cardio you're saying he shouldnt put the glucose back into his body? What am I missing here arent we supposed to put the sugar back into us after a workout...?

Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    D i e t
    add me : http://www.********.com/mbobilin
    fat loss log : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128202591

RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RiceNuts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    try doing 45mins of cardio 7 days a week.

Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tanulean will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You need to do at least 2-3 hours of cardio 7 days a week to see results.

1 hour needs to be on an empty stomach in the morning, 1 hour needs to be pre workout, 1 hour needs to be post workout.

If you want to add in some extra cardio, you can do 1 hour before bed.

This will have you ripped faster than dat dere CellTech.
    add me : http://www.********.com/mbobilin
    fat loss log : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128202591

MP4AU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea your doing great. Thats about 2 lbs a week which is about the maximum amount you want to lose in a week. Your diet looks pretty good. Keep up the weight lifting and running with that diet and you should continue to lose weight fast.

garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks and sounds like you are getting good results! 10 pounds a month is plenty. Keep it up!

Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo4321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So we are talking about cardio on an empty stomach? I can't work up the enegry unless I eat first. I feel sick unless I get something into me.
    Im 175lbs, 6'0. I want to tone down about 7lbs for feb ending. Nice little going away stomach.
    Im doing 20min cardio, (stairs) with a sweat. Im on shifts so diet changes but....
    I eat lots of
    Chicken,
    Eggs,
    Quaker oats (instant )
    yogart,
    protein (post)

Tends to be my normal diet for the last week or two. Chicken gets booring so i'm going to swap in some fish

Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_Fella is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Tanulean View Post

1 hour needs to be on an empty stomach in the morning, 1 hour needs to be pre workout, 1 hour needs to be post workout.

Bro science at its best
    ( ' ' ' ) MISC RUGBY CREW ( ' ' ' )

hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Was tempted to neg and flame the **** outta you until I read the bolded part. Gj.
    For the slower minds: he's not serious about this.

@OP: 10 lbs in a month; keep doing what you're doing!

mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hankst View Post
    Was tempted to neg and flame the **** outta you until I read the bolded part. Gj.
    For the slower minds: he's not serious about this.
    Actually, he brings up a good point in a round-a-bout way, regarding an increase in activity throughout the day.

30 minutes of cardio every day - not particularly effective in terms of having a large impact on fat loss. It'll make you feel good, and is a great way to reduce stress, but will do almost zip as far as losing fat goes.

People get so focused on their workouts that they completely overlook the *other* 15 waking hours of the day, which they spend either sitting at a desk at school/work or on a couch at home or in a car while commuting.

10-15 hours of general non-exercise activity every day will trump 30 minutes or 3 hours of cardio.

Of course, diet trumps it all. The less you move, the less you get to eat.

put'n the ILL in ILLinos redbirdfan1's Avatar
    redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm afraid you are eating too few calories to continue this for long
    02 Operation Enduring Freedom Vet
    ****** TF Rakkasan, 101st ABN, 19ASOS USAF
    03 Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet
    ******101st ABN, 19ASOS USAF

You're kidding right?

put'n the ILL in ILLinos redbirdfan1's Avatar
    redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    honestly..if you have 20-30 min and thats it..I'd do a lot of HIIT cardio.

IF you don't care about muscle loss go ahead and do hours of cardio. But if you want to maintain strength and as much muscle as possible, lift heavy at least 3 days a week and then do cardio after and on days you don't lift. Give yourself 2 days rest. If you do it right you can lose a lot of fat and keep some lean muscle.

In some cases like mine, I've never had a lot of fat, so I've gained weight while decreasing waste size and looking better in the mirror. clothes and a mirror are usually your best gauge for success of a program and diet. not the scale.
    02 Operation Enduring Freedom Vet
    ****** TF Rakkasan, 101st ABN, 19ASOS USAF
    03 Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet
    ******101st ABN, 19ASOS USAF