ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What the hell does the word Substrate (ie energy substrate) Mean ?

I'm studying for my Personal Training certificate, and I see this goddamn term used over and over again

what does it mean? I keep seeing terms like puryvate (sp?) = energy substrate deemed as end product of glycosis

I googled it and none of the answers made any sense

gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000)
    generally used to describe macronutrients
    Owner of Rapid Transformation Training LLC
    Transform your Mind, Body and Life

www.rapidtransformationtraining.com

ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForeverMiscin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gekkoboy14 View Post
    generally used to describe macronutrients
    huh?

torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500) torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500) torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500) torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500) torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500) torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500) torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500) torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500) torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500) torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500) torn8o is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pyruvate is a by-product of the gycolysis process, where one molecule of glucose produces 2 ATP. If you look at the definitions of pyruvate, you'll find it's the simplest alpha-keto acid. Cells can actually metabolize pyruvate (or use as energy) following a chemical enzymatic reaction. Excess pyruvate becomes lactic acid.

One definition of "substrate" I've found in biochemistry is: "a molecule upon which an enzyme acts. Enzymes catalyze chemical reactions involving the substrate(s). In the case of a single substrate, the substrate binds with the enzyme active site, and an enzyme-substrate complex is formed."

So basically, what your material is saying is that the simple acid, pyruvate, is a molecule on which an enzyme acts as a catalyst in the production of energy. At least that's what I think is being said and someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I've been going through the whole bionergetic continuum stuff myself just today.
    Last edited by torn8o; 12-28-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    NASM CPT

So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. -Christopher Reeve

billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Macronutrients are the three calorie containing nutrients (fats, proteins, and carbohydrates).

They are also the energy substrates that can be broken down in our cells to release their stored energy. Each of our cells contain chemical pathways that convert these substrates to energy that can be used by that cell and other cells of the body.

Glycolysis produces pyruvate (aka pyruvic acid). The fate of pyruvate will be determined by the rate of ATP utilization and the presence of oxygen. In fast glycolysis, pyruvate will be converted to lactic acid then to lactate which can then leave the cell. In slow glycolysis, pyruvate will be converted to acetyl CoA and enter the Krebs Cycle. You produce more ATP per glucose with slow glycolysis but the rate of ATP production is much slower.

BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    n.
    The material or substance on which an enzyme acts.

Holy crap...

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BSCSCS View Post
    n.
    The material or substance on which an enzyme acts.

Holy crap...
    I thought the same thing. I'm glad I have logical reasoning skills, lol.
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So happy I passed Organic Chem and Bio Chem. Never to go back, phew.
    http://sagefit.wordpress.com/
    Becoming A Success In The World Of Fitness
    Learn how to make a six figure salary in the world of fitness. Tips for personal trainers, fitness business owners and more.

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

Owner of Sage: Exclusive Fitness Center in Whitestone, NY and Sage Studios in Astoria, NY.
    www.sagefit.com