linkenlogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dumbbell Bench Press Form

When I Dumbbell Bench press i tend to turn my elbows in and hold the dumbbells at a slight angle. Looking at some technique vids i see that most people hold them straight and lower them with their elbows at 90 degrees to their sides. Is my form detrimental to muscle growth in my chest? I know that it may reduce the use of the shoulders but im not as worried about that. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by linkenlogs View Post
    When I Dumbbell Bench press i tend to turn my elbows in and hold the dumbbells at a slight angle. Looking at some technique vids i see that most people hold them straight and lower them with their elbows at 90 degrees to their sides. Is my form detrimental to muscle growth in my chest? I know that it may reduce the use of the shoulders but im not as worried about that. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    what would be most detrimental is to work at an angle or in a range of motion that feels unnatural or uncomfortable to you and leads to pain. (the bad kind) would you rather have more muscle accompanied by joint and tendon problems?

ideally one would hit things from multiple angles to make sure their recruiting as many fibers as possible... if you find that a particular angle is more challenging, seek the reason why. perhaps there's a lack of flexibility in the protagonist, a lack of strength in the antagonist or both.

but imo trying to stay locked into a straight line with db exercises kinda defeats the purpose of using them in the first place. i find that i get more pec involvement by using the natural angle versus the heavy anterior delt work i get out of barbell use.
    Last edited by Jack_Lupino; 12-28-2009 at 08:11 PM.
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I also keep a slight angle. I have yet to see adverse results from this.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    well the elbows should be tucked in during bench. i try keeping mine at about a 45 degree angle.

kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevjjohnson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jack_Lupino View Post
    what would be most detrimental is to work at an angle or in a range of motion that feels unnatural or uncomfortable to you and leads to pain. (the bad kind) would you rather have more muscle accompanied by joint and tendon problems?

ideally one would hit things from multiple angles to make sure their recruiting as many fibers as possible... if you find that a particular angle is more challenging, seek the reason why. perhaps there's a lack of flexibility in the protagonist, a lack of strength in the antagonist or both.

but imo trying to stay locked into a straight line with db exercises kinda defeats the purpose of using them in the first place. i find that i get more pec involvement by using the natural angle versus the heavy anterior delt work i get out of barbell use.
    Reps

I like to switch up angles that I use just to throw in some variety. As long as it's comfortable I think it helps to keep changing small things here and there.
    The juice is worth the squeeze.

I rep back

x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Give them all a shot and use whichever method you feel the most in your chest.

I like approximately a 45 degree angle, palms facing my body and then turning my palms away from my head as I push out.