satts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

need some help getting started

Looking for help to transform my body. I am 290 lbs. have mix of Endomorph and Mesomorph body types. I have been in and out of the gym most of my life. I am now 41 and am tired of the way I look. I know I need to change my lifestyle. My biggest promblem is what I eat. I am lookng for suggestion. or plans that might work best.

immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by satts View Post
    Looking for help to transform my body. I am 290 lbs. have mix of Endomorph and Mesomorph body types. I have been in and out of the gym most of my life. I am now 41 and am tired of the way I look. I know I need to change my lifestyle. My biggest promblem is what I eat. I am lookng for suggestion. or plans that might work best.
    The thing which made the biggest difference for me when I started was to fill my stomach up with whole foods, instead of fast food, or food from a box. The cliche "5 fruits/vegetables per day" thing also rocks. Eating 5 servings of fruits/vegetables fills you up with good stuff rather than bad. I went from 210 to 155 with this "plan". I also went on about 3 solid bike rides/week.

You sound like you are ready to rock. Your comment about changing your lifestyle shows that you understand that getting into shape isn't a superficial or half-assed thing to do on a whim. Props to you.

EDIT: Note that this of course wasn't a bodybuilding diet.. Just a diet to burn a lot of fat off my ass in the shortest amount of time.
    Last edited by immuno; 12-17-2009 at 01:32 PM.

RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by satts View Post
    I just lost 60lbs+ fat. I plan my meals weekly 2 x fish, 2 x (400g) steaks and 2 x (400g) skinless chicken , my day off I eat a quality cereal with cheap rolled oats on top. I have eggs (upto 4 depending on size) or cereal for breakfast along with a couple of oranges or apples. I dont drink juice I eat the fruit to get fibre as well as the juice.

NO CRAP SNACKS OR SOFTDRINK/JUICE. If I snack it is always mixed nuts and dried fruit. I dont eat much bread maybe 2 buns a week, no sugar at all, no potatoes just veges like broccoli, zuccini, carrots, cauliflower, peas DAILY. If I am hungry between meals and nuts/fruit mix is not enough I eat a bowl of cereal. I dont mix my protiens with carbs/veges in the same meal to keep mmy stomach contents as low as possible, I eat the meats/fish seperate to veges which are a lunch or dinner exchange.

I take suppliments to compensate for low carbs as it is tough building muscle and losing fat at the same time. I take whey protien shakes after workouts (within 15 miutes) creatine 15 mins pre workout, Endure Optimizer 90 mins pre workout to have stamina.

I would eat min 2 apples/bananas a day 3 to 4 oranges and minimum 3 veg meals. Occassionally I will have some pasta and rice as an inbetween, that is "nothing in it" just pasta with soy sauce and rice with skim milk. I have plenty of food but if I feel like I am losing too quick or I might not be strong enough for a workout I will have another steak/chicken at anytime or another scoop of Endura Optimizer when energy levels are low. A couple of boiled eggs also gives a lift ( I eat 12 to 18 eggs a week).

I do include some Fetta cheeze in my diet but only 20 grams a day to help with digestive enzymes. When I was in training decades ago I would make a quiche type meal with mushrooms, carrots, zuccini, egg whites, some frozen mixed veg and I would use soy sauce for extra flavour, this was microwave cooked fast meals. Egg whites are great but you have to toss the yolks, no cook could keep up with a body builder eating egg whites, my neighbours tried years ago as I felt bad tossing them, it did not work, just toss 'em down the sink. I drink a few cups of coffe a day usually an hour before workout or jog.

I recently found jogging strips off fat and loose skin (after weight loss) better than any other exercise. Running/jogging also works your core (hips/waist). This is what has worked for me and I am still on the program. I look at food as fuel for my body, nothing else I dont seek pleasure from my meals I seek pleasure from my exercise and changing body shape, it is a trade off I am happy to make as it is working for me.

You decide what lifestyle you want, flavoursome tasty meals and crap full of fats and sugars or a body you can be proud to live with. I am happy to answer questions about my diet, but suppliments balance retaining lean muscle and losing fat, I have put a kilo on here and there by over supplimenting, I simply cut back for a few days on the supps. when this has occured I have been stronger in the gym with that packed on kilo I did not yet want, that will come later. I shoot for 2 to 3,000 calories a day but I do 1 hour plus in the gym 6 days and jog run 11 klms a day. If I feel weak or suspect I maybe taxing my body too much I skip a walk/jog (half only as my walk/jogs are broken up 5.5klms morning and same evening).

Having done this decades ago, I am very in tune with my body and dont allow over training, the minute I feel weak or sluggish I skip a 5.5 klm walk run, eat more protiens and rest on the couch or bed when ever I can get a chance to couch out. REST is as important as exercise.
    "The best way to keep your health is to eat what you dont want- drink what you dont like- and do what you would rather not"

If your still doing this as well as I do, at my age, it is in your DNA !

RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I need help getting started on new routine

I am only just starting back and this is my second routine after approx 60 days of back in the gym (maybe less with rest days taken out) I just had a new program drawn up by a trainer at the gym. it was my design and i asked her to do a 6 day light and heavy covering all body parts but i wanted max rest (7days between muscle building components to grow)

Core exercises are everyday and include 5 min hard workout (get blood flowing) on rowing machine, 2 x 15 cable crunch machine 100lbs, 2 x 15 back extension cable machine 150lbs, 90 knee lifts 2 x 15 straight up , 2 x 15 to left , 2 x 15 to nright and plank hold 2 x 1min.

I do a 5.5 klm walk jog twice a day (being disabled from the waist down I jog like the MS exercise people pretty spastic but still do it for 50% of the distance twice a day so I jog 5.5klms and walk 5.5klms a day.) Like most people with disabilities self consciousness does not come into the equation, I dont care what I look like trying to jog, I care obout what I will look like with my shirt off after a few more months.

Monday
    Bench press
    Incline Press
    Decline Press
    Tricep pushdowns
    French Press
    Assisted Chin Ups
    Assisted Dips
    plus core

Tuesday
    Lat Pulldowns
    Seated Rows
    Reverse Flys
    Ezy Bar Curls
    Hammer DB curls
    plus core

Wednesday
    Leg Press
    Leg Extensions ( I cant do due to disability but just push lowest plate 10lbs)
    Hamstring curls
    DB Press
    Side DB raises
    Front DB Raises
    Assisted Chins
    Assisted Dips
    plus core

Thursday
    Incline DB Press
    Flat Bench DB Press
    Decline DB Press
    DB kickbacks
    Skull Crushers
    plus core

Friday
    DB Rows
    Cable pulldowns to chest
    DB Curls
    Cable Curls
    Assisted Chins
    Assisted Dips
    plus core

Saturday
    Military Press behind neck
    Military press front
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Press
    Cable Flys Chest
    Cable Flys Shoulder
    plus core

Note Assisted Chins and Dips are 2 x 15 reps the rest of the exercises are 3 sets of 15 , 12 , 10 reps. ALSO Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts from floor (I do shrugs standing ) and Leg extensions are impossible with my permanent disabilities.

In short I was concerned I was not doing enough exercises to cover all parts. I am trying to get cut and ripped atm. (60 lbs recent weight loss has left much loose skin to tighten up.) The trainer says I am doing too much, but that is not how I feel, I like to be there for 1hr 30 mins a day and that only occurs a few days a week. When I get back from my nightime jog I feel I could do another round at the gym, I am not sore as such just tight and the pain from my disabilities has given me a high pain threshold for muscle soreness (it just dont bother me, i feel good about it)

Anyone here could check it out and maybe throw in a few exercises on the light days??? OR agree disagree with my trainer ( I cant afford to pay a trainer so the gym does my programs once a month for free, because of xmas I am running this new one for 2 months shooting for weight increases rather than rep decreases.)
    "The best way to keep your health is to eat what you dont want- drink what you dont like- and do what you would rather not"

OK , I left out one important feature of my diet which flys in the face of drinking anything with bubbles! because of my age, i don't drink wine, but a mandatory 2 beers a night for my heart! and i workout six days a week and on the 6th night which is saturday i get tottally sh*tfaced!! the women dig me and the more we drink the better i look!! so i would recommend reading this thread if you are not excited about my diet that u may have read previously!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...40141&page=106

to date i have lost closer to 70lbs on this diet see my before and after pics!! take a look at my bi's after only 6 to 8 weeks doing weights at my gym!! then look at "oldsuperman's" before and after pics at the bottom of my profile which reads this member inspires me. so get off your butts, move your body and realise what goes in your mouth makes you either "fat" or "fit" it has been said for decades "you are what you eat" maybe a creampuff or a prime piece of lean beef!!