Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    daddyX2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daddyX2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daddyX2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daddyX2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daddyX2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daddyX2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daddyX2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daddyX2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daddyX2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daddyX2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great post man. I've got spindles for calves so hopefully this will help them grow.

Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice Post! Definately going to try out some of those moves this week.

People always forget that the calve muslces repair themselves very quickly. They take a 2 minutes break between their bench press sets and think that calves need the same thing.

I like to do a set, quickly stretch the calves for 5-10 seconds and then jump back in for another set.

One problem I have right now is that my left calve is about half an inch smaller than my right...it isn't too noticeable right now but I want to correct it before it gets worse.

Any suggestions?
    *Strong Everything 2018 Champion*

Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Fiz-iks View Post
    One problem I have right now is that my left calve is about half an inch smaller than my right...it isn't too noticeable right now but I want to correct it before it gets worse.

Any suggestions?
    One Legged Calf Raises is probably your best bet as it allows each calf to work independently. You can also work the left calf for an extra set and that may help.
    My Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120696121

jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Starless View Post
    I wanted to throw this in while the thread is still active and since noone else asked the question...Is it a good idea to keep your legs locked or unlocked whilst doing standing calf movements? I've heard alot that doing calve movements with the knees locked causes microtrauma to your knee joint, which eventually leads to arthritis, is that true?

For one I've tried working my calves, with unlocked knees, on the standing machine, 45 degree leg press, and just standing on the ground and everytime I keep subconsciously locking my knees, it just seems so natural to have the knees locked, so has anyone else heard of this?
    Knees locked. Unless you're locking out your knees with 600lbs daily, I wouldn't worry too much about "microtrauma".

Originally Posted by Ironlife View Post
    3 stars?? Fu.K THAT.
    I gave it a little boost :-).

Great write up man.

kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kliddy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is there any ankle workouts? Or can calf raises help thicken your ankles? My ankles are pretty skinny and just tryin to get them bigger and I don't know if working out with my calves is just enough or not
    .:Brother of Iron:.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kliddy View Post
    Is there any ankle workouts? Or can calf raises help thicken your ankles? My ankles are pretty skinny and just tryin to get them bigger and I don't know if working out with my calves is just enough or not
    Heavy squats,deadlifts and sprints will help thicken the ankle to a degree.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some homos are lowering this thread's rating.

F*ck 'em.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    Some homos are lowering this thread's rating.

F*ck 'em.
    i lold\'d thanks for the support L
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

_OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000)

I like using a dip belt to do double-leg calf raises. You can do upright style or the donkey variants for a deeper stretch.

Here is another way of doing donkey calf raises but I don't recommend it without more padding (a cushion).

You can also hook up a dip belt to a low cable pulley.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...CalfRaise.html (can't embed the image)

My second favourite is the one leg dumbbell calf raise.

I don't have a seated calf raise machine. Doing this exercise with a barbell or dumbbell on my knees didn't feel right. I liked the calf raise lunge better. You only need to use relatively light weights on this exercise as you are doing it with most of your bodyweight plus just one calf at a time.

I also want to add that while most people do calf raises off a block, I think there is value in doing them flat footed some of time. The extra weight is a good way to overload the muscles. A cool way to incorporate this is to do flat footed calf raises supersetted with calf raises off a block where you just do the bottom half of the rep in the second exercise.
    Last edited by _OZ_; 01-15-2010 at 04:24 AM.

Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolf-Baron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    5 star thread

Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post

I like using a dip belt to do double-leg calf raises. You can do upright style or the donkey variants for a deeper stretch.

Here is another way of doing donkey calf raises but I don't recommend it without more padding (a cushion).

You can also hook up a dip belt to a low cable pulley.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...CalfRaise.html (can't embed the image)

My second favourite is the one leg dumbbell calf raise.

I don't have a seated calf raise machine. Doing this exercise with a barbell or dumbbell on my knees didn't feel right. I liked the calf raise lunge better. You only need to use relatively light weights on this exercise as you are doing it with most of your bodyweight plus just one calf at a time.

I also want to add that while most people do calf raises off a block, I think there is value in doing them flat footed some of time. The extra weight is a good way to overload the muscles. A cool way to incorporate this is to do flat footed calf raises supersetted with calf raises off a block where you just do the bottom half of the rep in the second exercise.
    Very nice info man^^

Originally Posted by Wolf-Baron View Post
    5 star thread
    This, couldnt have said it better.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I did the tibialis anterior one with a dumbbell for the first time today. WOW! What an awesome exercise. Also, that chart a few posts up is great. It took a bit of reading to figure out the difference between soleus and gastrocnemius, but that chart makes it pretty clear that the soleus is essentially below it.

Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I did the tibialis anterior one with a dumbbell for the first time today. WOW! What an awesome exercise. Also, that chart a few posts up is great. It took a bit of reading to figure out the difference between soleus and gastrocnemius, but that chart makes it pretty clear that the soleus is essentially below it.
    they are intense.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great post, OZ. I'll hit you after I recharge.

TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wow i was actually starting to do more calve exercises after years of neglect
    good info.

NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice thread, alot of great info here.. Ima try the pulley excercise out
    Instagram @drsuperdose
    Online coaching & Contest prep
    www.thorntonfitness.com

allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Excellent info man. I will definitely add this to my routine. Great motivation.

InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10) InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10) InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10) InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10) InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10) InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10) InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10) InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10) InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10) InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10) InfiniteSlim is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Awesome post Ironlife! I always did calf raises while standing up with DB's, cant wait to try doing it seated this time around.
    Infinite Labs Juggernaut (log) http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132722533

Higher Power Glutamine (log) http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132498683

Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thank you for this. Repped.

Bump.

There seem to be quite a few calf/tibialis anterior querries.

Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    Bump.

There seem to be quite a few calf/tibialis anterior querries.
    Hey good bump, i have seen a lot of these type of questions also.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Very nice thread! Thank you

iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Ironlife View Post
    Thanks man, when the knee is bent the power of the gastrocnemius just isnt there and the soleus takes over the lift, when the knee is extended the power is now with the gastrocnemius and less with the soleus.
    Due to the gastroc being a 2 jointed muscle,
    cheers for the comment.
    Active insufficiency for the win.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Bump back to relevance. 5 star thread.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Bump back to relevance. 5 star thread.
    Thanks man.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    great thread. Lots of new ideas to test out.

F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000)
    good info, thanks.

dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah I think this should be made a sticky, calves are by far the hardest muscle to work and get growth out of.
    Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139898123&page=240

TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TJ_Wolfe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dopamine72 View Post
    Yeah I think this should be made a sticky, calves are by far the hardest muscle to work and get growth out of.
    agreed. Its frustrating. Especially since I've never had much of a problem growing most other muscles, as long as I put the time/effort in, but it seems like my calves stay small even if I'm working my ass off.

Luckily this thread has supplied me with a bunch of new techniques, some of which I just got back from testing out and they felt great.

dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TJ_Wolfe View Post
    agreed. Its frustrating. Especially since I've never had much of a problem growing most other muscles, as long as I put the time/effort in, but it seems like my calves stay small even if I'm working my ass off.

Luckily this thread has supplied me with a bunch of new techniques, some of which I just got back from testing out and they felt great.
    yep, I have heard great things about ultra high reps, doing 50-100 reps standing calf raises, and or using a weight vest while jump roping. Right now some days I'll use Heavy weight lower reps and others I'll do the ultra high reps, I also try and hit them 3x a week.
    Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139898123&page=240