Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bomfire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Ironlife View Post
    The majority of people i see on here and at my gym i train people, have trouble gaining size and shape to their calves must understand that there is more to training the lower leg than simply training the gastrocnemius and soleus muscle..
    The Tibialis Anterior is comprised of more fast twitch fibers than the gastrocnemius and more than 3 times as much as the soleus, not only this but the calves look very impressive when viewed front on and tibialis anterior gives this impression. I believe that one of the keys to seeing results is from high rep training (12-15) combined with supersets.

Main reasons people lack lower leg growth and their potential is as follows:
    * Lack full range of motion
    * Insufficient rep range
    * Lack of volume
    * insuffient diet.
    * inconsistant training

Tibialis Anterior: action- dorsi flexion ankle

Soleus: action- plantar flexion ankle

Gastrocnemius: action - plantar flexion

Good luck all on training the lower legs, consistancy in training will display results if you want it.
    Awesome post, positive feedback yes zirr!

sanesh21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanesh21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice one!

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 4one5 View Post
    .How far or close should my feet be when performing standing calf raises and donkey calf raises? What does the wideness/closeness of my feet emphasize more?
    It won't really make much of a difference. Just go with shoulder width or whatever's comfortable.

The Muscle Daredevil Apacalypto's Avatar
    Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10) Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10) Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10) Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10) Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10) Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10) Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10) Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10) Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10) Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10) Apacalypto is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Starless View Post
    I wanted to throw this in while the thread is still active and since noone else asked the question...Is it a good idea to keep your legs locked or unlocked whilst doing standing calf movements? I've heard alot that doing calve movements with the knees locked causes microtrauma to your knee joint, which eventually leads to arthritis, is that true?

For one I've tried working my calves, with unlocked knees, on the standing machine, 45 degree leg press, and just standing on the ground and everytime I keep subconsciously locking my knees, it just seems so natural to have the knees locked, so has anyone else heard of this?
    That is a really good point. I havent noticed how many gym rats have tended to lock their knees in that situation. In all honestly, I don't think locking your knees during any exercise is a good idea. Arthritis may just result from always keeping your knees locked. It seems safe and smart to say that keeping your knee's almost straight, but with a small microbend is the best option when doing any exercise. Exception: Weightlifing competitions are obviously different. Any judge will only count deadlifts if the powerlifter locks their knees at the top.

Thanks for bringing that point up. Many athletes aren't aware of the hidden nemesis of locked knees: arthritis.
    http://www.RapidMuscleRecovery.com - You want me to do what?!

majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    calves, calves, calves!! I WANT THEM!

flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is an awesome post! I'm a firm believer in what Bomfire posted in regards to why people lack lower leg development, but especially that of lack of full range of motion and inconsistency (though all point are of equal importance).

Like many, I don't have genetically gifted calves but one thing I've learned is that I need to continuously train the crap out of them and use mixed rep ranges (I may do one exercise 3-4 sets of 8-12 followed by another exercise of 3-4 sets of 20). I do that twice a week and it's worked well for me.
    Jason Stallworth

Owner of TheMuscleProgram.com
    www.themuscleprogram.com

'Do or do not; there is no try.' - Master Yoda

TrueSelf3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueSelf3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great, great thread here. Finally got some faith that these calf can be reborn.
    Fighting for my True self

jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonsgym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Big Calves = More Reps

I agree you need to do high rep training with calves... Generally legs is more high rep such as lunges calf raises. I have lucky genetics in my calves but for most people need to work them a lot those videos give some great tips. Good post!

mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mikecrocop is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    good post.
    calves always been my weak point, i think its genetics but i've made the mistake of neglecting them cause i didn't get the same result of my other muscles, recently im paying more attention to it and im using the more weight i can handle for 8 reps 8 sets and i do one last set with haft that weight til failure, they grown 1 inch in 30 days

EricMoritz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good post bud; I feel much more knowledgeable about working legs.

Eric

Location: Belfast, County Antrim, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    LukeHaslett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calves!!

Yeah budy! The best way to train calves is heavy drop sets combined with low rest periods (Below 30 seconds).
    Luke Haslett, Physique Consultant coach, http://physiqueconsultant.com/

SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    great post OP, didnt know you worked the soleus more when bent at the knee...no wonder my calf development is disproportional towards the gastro...lol
    Snake's New Diabetic Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130722163
    Snakes BB Quest!Begun 8/24/06 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=882015

PR's@ BW 135 lb:
    Fl Bnch:175x5x3 sets;180x3*ATG Sqts:185x5x3 sets*DL:275x1;250x4x2 sets*Dips:+100 lbX6;+55 lbX20*Pllups/Chns:+25 lbX5 for 4 sets*BB Bt Ovr Rws:170x5*Wghtd Cardio:2 mi. jog w/ 45 lb bkpk*3 mi. walk w/ 55 lb bkpk

**RapeBacks 3k+**

Naix is a name known to all. (+5000) Naix is a name known to all. (+5000) Naix is a name known to all. (+5000) Naix is a name known to all. (+5000) Naix is a name known to all. (+5000) Naix is a name known to all. (+5000) Naix is a name known to all. (+5000) Naix is a name known to all. (+5000) Naix is a name known to all. (+5000) Naix is a name known to all. (+5000) Naix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i was thinking of injecting tiger blood into my calves. will this work?

hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    good post very overlooked i usually do these ones: like the squat position

bfox21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Deviant Dingo View Post
    Nice post!

Forgive my ignorance, but the bottom 3 movements seem to be the same action? Is that correct or am I missing something
    agreed

Originally Posted by hailmary View Post

me too

Originally Posted by Naix View Post
    of course it will...

Originally Posted by EricMoritz View Post
    Good post bud; I feel much more knowledgeable about working legs.

Eric
    i know, very much so

Originally Posted by TrueSelf3 View Post
    same thoughts here brother...

Originally Posted by mikecrocop View Post
    good post.
    calves always been my weak point, i think its genetics but i've made the mistake of neglecting them cause i didn't get the same result of my other muscles, recently im paying more attention to it and im using the more weight i can handle for 8 reps 8 sets and i do one last set with haft that weight til failure, they grown 1 inch in 30 days
    hit em hard!

Originally Posted by jasonsgym View Post
    I agree you need to do high rep training with calves... Generally legs is more high rep such as lunges calf raises. I have lucky genetics in my calves but for most people need to work them a lot those videos give some great tips. Good post!
    luckyyy! born with good calves lol

Originally Posted by TrueSelf3 View Post
    same heree brotha...

Originally Posted by majj268 View Post
    calves, calves, calves!! I WANT THEM!
    ragin for some calves! ahah

Originally Posted by Naix View Post
    tiger wood's blood maybe

Originally Posted by hailmary View Post

ya very nice workout

Registered User heartofacoleman's Avatar
    heartofacoleman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Love the second vid!! I do that Arnold Donkey calf raises tho.. @ the end of my workout i have a gym buddy come over, get on my back. I put my hands on a chair and pivot my feet out into a v shape x30. Feet together x30. Pigeon toed x30. And thats one set. I do 2-3 sets. Did it wed along with my other workouts.. Still filling it today..

Joeisboss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Should you do high rep when you do calves? Thats what I've heard. I've been doing calf exercises weekly but never really see an improvement in them. Great Post!

blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackrain35 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i hope this isnt a problem, but i dont have time to continue looking through all the pages i only was able to get through a couple so i dont know if someone said this already or not. but is working them out three times a week along with dead lifts and squats (rippetoes work out) ok? what sets/reps would be recommended? if i wanted to hit all three calve muscles. or would be hitting one monday, one wed, one friday be better?

PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PappaBear76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great post! Having good calves really balance things out, and they are often overlooked. It takes ALOT to wear them out, then you have to do the crazy walk for a week ~lol~ Its worth it.

Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Back log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138027343