iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500)

Is this correct understanding of the squat?

I just read starting strength. I put the lines in there so it's easier to see what's going on.

I reacted to the fact that hips actually move back to their 'correct' position FIRST, and the knees hit their correct position a bit later.

Is this correct understanding of the low-bar squat?
    Last edited by iCookie; 12-26-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawful is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The arrow you put by the knee in the starting position is wrong. I would try to keep my knee in the same place as much as possible, because it will naturally lean forward. Keep in mind that the goal is for your knee to not pass your toe. Otherwise, I would agree that the hips move back first.

iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Rawful View Post
    The arrow you put by the knee in the starting position is wrong. I would try to keep my knee in the same place as much as possible, because it will naturally lean forward. Keep in mind that the goal is for your knee to not pass your toe. Otherwise, I would agree that the hips move back first.
    Hm, I thought you were supposed to put the knee out in the correct position in the first half of the descent, this way the knee won't slide forward at the bottom and compromise hamstring activation?

revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) revoman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ass out , sit down , get back up .

Originally Posted by revoman View Post
    Yea, I know the ass part. But I'm wondering about the kneeees.

Form is important to me. I don't plan on getting injured (more than I already am lol)

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by iCookie View Post
    Originally Posted by revoman View Post
    Yea, I know the ass part. But I'm wondering about the kneeees.

Form is important to me. I don't plan on getting injured (more than I already am lol)
    Yes form is important, but the thing is that two people both with good form will not look the same. So you can't really compare yourself to pictures like what you posted. I think the intent of revoman's comment is valid, ie don't over think things. IMHO the way to improve your squat form is to actually squat. Most people who haven't been squatting for a while have weaknesses that prevent them from having perfect/ideal form anyway. It doesn't mean they shouldn't squat. I means that form is something that will change over time as weaknesses get stronger and the lifter gets more experienced.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA