jjdoug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exercise bike at desk?

Does anyone have any experience with using an exercise bike while working at a desk?

I work from home so I can set up desk however I want. Im a website designer so I spend all my working day at the computer.

Has anyone tired this out? From googling it seems more people are using treadmills than bikes.

Thanks

JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jjdoug View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with using an exercise bike while working at a desk?

I work from home so I can set up desk however I want. Im a website designer so I spend all my working day at the computer.

Has anyone tired this out? From googling it seems more people are using treadmills than bikes.

Thanks
    sounds stupid if your cardio is so easy you can do it while you do work than its ineffective.

just take a short break from work and go do some hiit. sprint for a short time , walk , sprint, walk etc.

then go back to work.

I also lift weights a few times a week and do cardio sessions. Im not looking to improve my fitness dramatically but sure there must be health benefits to sustained gentle activity the way out ancestors would have lived.

The only time im active all day is on ski holidays. Admittedly there are bouts of intense exercise but I think it might be the day long activity that leaves me feeling great.
    Last edited by jjdoug; 12-26-2009 at 04:09 PM.

JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) JumpSmash will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I also lift weights a few times a week and do cardio sessions. Im not looking to improve my fitness dramatically but sure there must be health benefits to sustained gentle activity the way out ancestors would have lived.

The only time im active all day is on ski holidays. Admittedly there are bouts of intense exercise but I think it might be the day long activity that leaves me feeling great.

lol man to say our ancestors sat at desks and pedaled on an exercise bike is pretty silly.

edit: the general consesus will be that if you can think / do work while you're doing cardio then it isnt intense enough and not worth doing.

skillzV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skillzV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the Hawaiian chair!

JumpSmash, of course im not saying out ancestors peddled at their desks! But they wouldn't have gone to the gym either. Im saying they would have been very active all day, walking miles and miles, etc.

If im feeling a bit tired I go for a walk to wake myself up. This is the gentle type of cardio im hoping to sustain all day.

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

This is the gentle type of cardio im hoping to sustain all day.
    Wouldn't this be estrogenic?

Squating in the curl rack OutKlast's Avatar
    OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'd demo some bikes that are the right height to fit under your desk. It's actually not a bad idea at all for someone who sits for long periods. Non-activity can cause those blood clots in your legs that may move up to the heart. Gentle cardio should keep the blood supply moving at a comfortable pace to ward that off along with restless legs and so-forth.

I doubt it would do much for you in terms of maximizing lung capacity. But, work is work. If you pedal at 2mph for 8 hours, its not much different then peddling 10mph for a shorter period other then the lung workout.

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    They sell 'foot pedals' that will fit under your desk. It might be a cheaper option

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...N&tab=if&tbo=0
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    maybe u could just do deep breathing?
    Dont have negative thoughts. Remember your mantra.

I dont know what estrogenic means.

I havnt tried those peddler things out but I have a look at them.

I dont know what benefit there would be in hyperventilating all day!

Thanks

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I'm an air traffic controller in a radar center and I see first hand what happens to some people if they sit all day at work and then go home somewhat mentally exhausted probably and just sit at home all night.

I think what others above are trying to say is that it won't likely be very effective as a primary source of fitness, but I think you're just trying to supplement some non-sedentary time into your work hours. Might be worth trying if it can help you feel more energetic and healthy.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    In order to do any good at all, CV exercise has to elevate your heart rate to at least 60% of your max, and keep it there for at least 20 minutes.

If you can do that a your desk, and still perform meaningful work, go for it. Otherwise, the intensity level will be too low to help your CV health.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Get up and do some jumping jacks & pushups every 15 minutes.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    You work out already, so I would see the exercise bike as more something that will help relieve stress while working. But if that's the case then it might be a good idea to learn to manage stress better so you don't feel the need to do something like this.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

too late, no friends deejaykaydee's Avatar
    deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50) deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50) deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50) deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50) deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50) deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50) deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50) deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50) deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50) deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50) deejaykaydee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The real question is could you play Warcraft while doing cardio?!
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" -Colonel Sanders

Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I dont know what estrogenic means.
    I don't know how to use www.dictionary.com

pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thanks
    Not many people can truly multi task well. I tell all my people at work to work on one thing well. I know that sounds simple but for some reason most people feel that if they do two or three things at once this makes them "better" employees. It just makes you do both things half ass. IMO
    I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson

MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMarshall_76 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For your desk I would do with the foot pedals... But I do use my exercisae bike in front of the TV... Try that.... It's also another way to maintain a schedule... I use mine every day at 6pm when UFC comes on Spike. I quickly lose track of time and pay more attention to the fights than the exercise. You can actually end up putting in more time than you normally would while staring at the wall.
    Martin Rooney - If you want to become something you have not been before....
    You need to do things you have not done before!

If you're reading this... Thank a Teacher
    If you're reading this in English.... Thank a Veteran!

rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You can't use a mini-bicycle like those pictures while sitting at a desk. Your knees come up too high and bang the bottom of the desk. Not an option.

MarcoCotas is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks
    well you mention one of the best reasons of that exercise peddlers, you can be at home on your computer while you are exercising your legs and get your blood pumping.
    I recommend that method but keep in mind that you should doing outdoor exercise anyway... For more info about that check here exercise-peddler.com