Twitch9254 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein Supplements Bad for the Liver?

My father is a physician and he always tells me to stop taking protein shakes because they are bad for my liver. He keeps telling that he has had a few teenage patients with liver problems because of taking protein supplements. At first I didn't believe him but I just got a blood test and my liver enzymes showed up unusually high. My father of course said that I need to dump out my protein powder because this was one of the main reasons for my liver enzymes being high. Have there been any scientific studies done about this? If so I would like to know please because I'm curious.

_Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Landers_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    did you have an intense workout around the time of your bloodwork? this can cause the enzymes to be elevated. might want to take a few days off before the bloodwork.

bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigjaybirdy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i have heard to many shakes are bad for your liver also but dont know how much truth is in it, just drink plenty of water to flush your system, hey twinkies and doughnuts are bad for you also and beer and so on , think about it

un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bigjaybirdy View Post
    i have heard to many shakes are bad for your liver also but dont know how much truth is in it, just drink plenty of water to flush your system, hey twinkies and doughnuts are bad for you also and beer and so on , think about it
    this is false. unless are drink like 30 shakes a day I think you'll be fine. Whey is found in a ****load of other foods/drinks. one to three scoops of whey a day aren't bad for your liver, people always hear a rumor or something about supplements and the next thing you know......creatine has become a steroid. our society is ignorant to the proper use of supplements and steroids.

btw i am not calling your father ignorant at all, i guarantee that some/most of the teens he has heard of/seen who use proteins have been using a hormonal related product (prohormones) aka legal steroids. this explains the liver enzyme level fluctuations and liver deficiencies they may be facing.
    Last edited by un19; 12-26-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    anti government for life.

olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000) olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000) olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000) olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000) olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000) olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000) olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000) olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000) olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000) olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000) olazabal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've heard of it having a negative impact on kidneys but not livers
    May all your gains be long term
    May all your losses be ordinary
    May all your deductions be for AGI

ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100) ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100) ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100) ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100) ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100) ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100) ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100) ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100) ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100) ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100) ShapiroMD is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by olazabal View Post
    I've heard of it having a negative impact on kidneys but not livers
    x2

protein effects the kidney more! have you been drinking a lot OP??

Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Psylence is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think lifting heavy weights can raise liver enzymes in some people.
    Number of posts < than number of reps = win

1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1Fastformula will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OK. Time to interject some science into the fiction here.

Whey Protein actually has been shown to reduce the amount of liver enzymes (ALT and AST) and increase the concentration of glutathione, which is an antioxidant that protects the liver cells in people who have a "fatty liver", or elevated liver enzymes in a routine blood screen. People who have elevated enzyme results and fatty inflamation have a condition called steatohapatitis.

This is directly from the Journal of Gastroenterology Hepatology, 24: 1045-1050, 2009.

Now I am not trying to say you father is wrong, but scientific evidence is pointing the other way. And for the record, I am not a physician...just a Ph.D Food Scientist.
    Last edited by 1Fastformula; 12-26-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Hutt31998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Twitch9254 View Post
    My father is a physician and he always tells me to stop taking protein shakes because they are bad for my liver. He keeps telling that he has had a few teenage patients with liver problems because of taking protein supplements. At first I didn't believe him but I just got a blood test and my liver enzymes showed up unusually high. My father of course said that I need to dump out my protein powder because this was one of the main reasons for my liver enzymes being high. Have there been any scientific studies done about this? If so I would like to know please because I'm curious.
    I know that I have been an avid bodybuilder for the past 7 years and developed liver problems. We don't know exactly were the problem arised from but for the last two years my doctors had taken all weight lifting away from me. I had developed another problem that goes along with liver disease which is called esophogeal varcies.
    My doctors after two years have got this problem under control and said I could return to lifting as much weight as I wanted to now but to not take creatine or whey protein because they were like poison to my system. Why this is I don't know I did not go into all the detail with him I was just pleased to be able to return back to the gym and start training again. I hope this gives you some kind of insight that you were looking for. Just for the record I believe I would listen to your father, he sounds like a wise man.

Must Unify Korea 나는 한국 통합 KimJong-il's Avatar
    KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Outside of contaminated products, I dont see how protein drinks directly effect the liver organ. Almost like saying dont eat steak, or drink milk. What made your father conclude the liver issues come from protein drinks and not any other various factors? Other than that, you can always get a second opinion from another doctor.
    Supreme Leader of Thermolife

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife