billyspvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Doing Pull-ups throughout the day

Hello all,

merry xmas!!
    i am currently doing INSANITY which is an intensive 60-day total body conditioning exercise program. the program emphasizes more on cardio exercises than resistance training. personally, its discouraging knowing that my back and arm muscles will gradually waste away as i do INSANITY.
    so every morning after i wake up, i do about 10 pull ups (wide front/close grip/reverse grip) in my garage to "jump start" my body.
    and as the day progresses, i do pull-ups at random times.
    i try to increase the number of pull-ups i do by one for each passing day (i.e. 10 pull-ups on jan 1st, 11 pull-ups on jan 2nd, 12 pull-ups on jan 3rd)

generally speaking, would doing pull-ups on a daily basis be good for the body in terms of muscle development? would it cause the "plateau effect"?

thanx!

billyspvy

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That method is similar to "greasing the groove." A great way to add reps to your pullup total.

Do more reps than before = new strength/growth.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It will definitely increase your endurance to do pullups, but not a huge amount on the mass side - especially if you can already do a lot of pullups.

What makes you believe your new program will lead to your "back and arm muscles wasting away"?

morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by billyspvy View Post
    i am currently doing INSANITY which is an intensive 60-day total body conditioning exercise program. the program emphasizes more on cardio exercises than resistance training. personally, its discouraging knowing that my back and arm muscles will gradually waste away as i do INSANITY.
    so every morning after i wake up, i do about 10 pull ups (wide front/close grip/reverse grip) in my garage to "jump start" my body.
    and as the day progresses, i do pull-ups at random times.
    i try to increase the number of pull-ups i do by one for each passing day (i.e. 10 pull-ups on jan 1st, 11 pull-ups on jan 2nd, 12 pull-ups on jan 3rd)

generally speaking, would doing pull-ups on a daily basis be good for the body in terms of muscle development? would it cause the "plateau effect"?

thanx!

billyspvy
    Your muscles wont waste away unless you are way under calorie maintenance. But you wont gain much mass on surplus either. Mainly conditioning/endurance. When I was young I used to do stuff like this with huge numbers of pushups & chinups everyday, did gain some muscle but moreso endurance. The biggest drawback in doing this sort of thing everyday using challenging levels of volume is you can start to develop joint problems. You need to take some days off for recovery.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Question

personally, its discouraging knowing that my back and arm muscles will gradually waste away as i do INSANITY.
    Then why are you performing it?
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Then why are you performing it?
    Why do I hit myself on the head with a hammer?

Because it feels so good when I stop!

LOL
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

billyspvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nutsy54 View Post
    It will definitely increase your endurance to do pullups, but not a huge amount on the mass side - especially if you can already do a lot of pullups.

What makes you believe your new program will lead to your "back and arm muscles wasting away"?
    i appreciate everyone's feedback!
    maybe i am over exaggerating when i said "wasting away". perhaps the more proper word is "weakening".
    i did 2 rounds of p90x prior to INSANITY. because INSANITY has very little back exercises in the program, my ability to 10+ pull-ups and curl certain weights may deteriorate

Gettin My Swole On microrahsheen's Avatar
    microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i appreciate everyone's feedback!
    maybe i am over exaggerating when i said "wasting away". perhaps the more proper word is "weakening".
    i did 2 rounds of p90x prior to INSANITY. because INSANITY has very little back exercises in the program, my ability to 10+ pull-ups and curl certain weights may deteriorate
    I'm quite familiar with INSANITY, they picked the perfect name for it, and I would suggest making sure your cal intake and supps are sufficient to support your efforts. INSANITY is already intense enough as it is