AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Ration of body weight to squat lift/ deadlift/ benchpress

I'm trying to monitor my improvements and have been tracking this for a while, and started thinking if there is a general ratio for weightlifters.

So here it is. My stats are as the footnote. I currently weigh 195lbs.

Squat to bodyweight ratio: 1.18:1 for 6 reps
    Deadlift to bodyweight ratio: 1.35:1 9 reps
    Bench to bodyweight ratio: 1.13:1 for 4 reps

I'm going to try for my 1RM in 2 weeks, and will see how that compares to the above. But I wonder if there is a standard ratio for most people?

To work it out, simply take your weight you lift at and divide it by your bodyweight.
    Last edited by AlanApe; 12-24-2009 at 06:17 AM.
    "I'll do today what others won't so I can do tomorrow what others can't" - such a fitting quote for bodybuilding!

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AlanApe View Post
    I'm trying to monitor my improvements and have been tracking this for a while, and started thinking if there is a general ratio for weightlifters.

So here it is. My stats are as the footnote. I currently weigh 195lbs.

I'm going to try for my 1RM in 2 weeks, and will see how that compares to the above. But I wonder if there is a standard ratio for most people?

To work it out, simply take your weight you lift at and divide it by your bodyweight.
    Its going to vary for everyone. If you take elite powerlfiters you get numbers as high as 4xbw/5xbw for some lifts if you take a 35 year old guy who has been lifting at a gym for a few months all could be below bw. I belieev they have ratios in terms of poor average good elite somewhere but they really don't mean much. You could gain zero strength and just lose a few lbs of fat and completely change all your ratios :P

RIP Sweetie 2006-2010 Macrobolic's Avatar
    Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bench press

Squat

Deadlift

Here ya go...
    "To close one's eyes will not ease another's pain" - Chinese Proverb
    "An outdoor dog has an address, not a home" -unknown

Modern
    Fitness
    Forum

Go
    There
    Now

Registered User blazing_hellion's Avatar
    blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AlanApe View Post
    could someone please explain those numbers to me. if im reading them correctly, 1.13:1 means benching BW plus 13% or 1.13% BW, correct. i just want to make sure

Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by blazing_hellion View Post
    could someone please explain those numbers to me. if im reading them correctly, 1.13:1 means benching BW plus 13% or 1.13% BW, correct. i just want to make sure
    I think he means 113% bodyweight

For example:
    Person weighs 200lbs

200lbs x 1.13 = 226lbs

With the link I posted, this weight would have somebody in the intermediate range on bench press standards. So not shabby by any means, but not an advanced lifter either.

Modern
    Fitness
    Forum

Go
    There
    Now

blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Macrobolic View Post
    I think he means 113% bodyweight

For example:
    Person weighs 200lbs

200lbs x 1.13 = 226lbs

With the link I posted, this weight would have somebody in the intermediate range on bench press standards. So not shabby by any means, but not an advanced lifter either.
    ahh i see well heres mine then from the last time i did them a long while ago when i randomly went to the gym with my roommate. not doing ratios cuz i have no calc and its 8am

squat 295 4 reps
    bench 225 3 reps
    deadlift like 205 3 reps(LAST exercise f a 2 hour workout)

im 175lbs

jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It varies way too much dude, there are triple bodyweight raw benches out there.

Right now, the best pl total by bodyweight is over 13 times bodyweight. The guy weighed in at the 198 class and squatted 1055, benched 825, and deadlifted 750. This guy might have gotten a lot out of his equipment (Based on the low dl), but you get the idea.
    Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one.

Lift the damn weight, and eat the damn food. It's as hard and as complicated as you make it.

ahh i see well heres mine then from the last time i did them a long while ago when i randomly went to the gym with my roommate. not doing ratios cuz i have no calc and its 8am

squat 295 4 reps
    bench 225 3 reps
    deadlift like 205 3 reps(LAST exercise f a 2 hour workout)

im 175lbs
    The estimated 1RM for your lifts would be:

Squat: 327
    Bench: 243
    Deadlift: 221 (but it would have been better had you done this at the beginning of the workout)

Again, these are just estimates, but when you are in the 2-4 rep range, you can safely say that the 1RM is likely to be pretty close to those numbers. At 175, those numbers are pretty good. Your bench and squat are in between the intermediate and advanced standards, but your dead is in between un-trained and novice (but then again, it was at the end of a workout, so that will definitely affect the numbers)

Modern
    Fitness
    Forum

Go
    There
    Now

sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jack_of_all View Post
    It varies way too much dude, there are triple bodyweight raw benches out there.

Right now, the best pl total by bodyweight is over 13 times bodyweight. The guy weighed in at the 198 class and squatted 1055, benched 825, and deadlifted 750. This guy might have gotten a lot out of his equipment (Based on the low dl), but you get the idea.
    WOW!!!!

Was the guy like 4 feet tall?

I weigh about 190 now... are we talkin 1RM? My 5RM is 325 on the squat, 335 on deadlift and 215 on the bench.
    Intensity, Recovery, Nutrition, Sleep- the only things that matter.

The estimated 1RM for your lifts would be:

Squat: 327
    Bench: 243
    Deadlift: 221 (but it would have been better had you done this at the beginning of the workout)

Again, these are just estimates, but when you are in the 2-4 rep range, you can safely say that the 1RM is likely to be pretty close to those numbers. At 175, those numbers are pretty good. Your bench and squat are in between the intermediate and advanced standards, but your dead is in between un-trained and novice (but then again, it was at the end of a workout, so that will definitely affect the numbers)
    I think theyd be higher now because those were from a while back. then i was doing 1 armed pushups with 15lbs attached to me 2 or 3 single leg squats with squats(75lbs vest) for 12 reps. now im doing 15+ pistols 25+ quick paced squats with vest and about 8 1 armed pushups with 75lbs vest. would be very interesting to see what i could do now hahaha

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Bench=280
    squat=360
    dl=430

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    The Old School strength standards state :

Overhead Press--bodyweight
    Bench Press--1 1/2 X bw
    Back Squat-- 2 X bw
    Deadlift-- 2 1/2 X bw

These are single-rep.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post

Bench Press--1 1/2 X bw
    Back Squat-- 2 X bw
    Deadlift-- 2 1/2 X bw

These are single-rep.
    does weighted handstand pushups count as overhead press or no?
    Last edited by blazing_hellion; 12-24-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    does weighted handstand pushups count as bodyweight overhead press or no?
    i'd say no because your head would limit rom. press rom is from clavicles to lockout.

i'd imagine the overhead press is ironwill's post is done standing too.

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
    i'd say no because your head would limit rom. press rom is from clavicles to lockout.

ok what about full handstand pushups. your head doesnt limit the rom since your hands are on something higher up

Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    im ~145lbs, bench is my strongest lift at 250lbs, haven't logged deadlifts or the rest.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post

^^^^These (on both counts).
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bench press

Squat

Deadlift

Here ya go...

Bench Press--1 1/2 X bw
    Back Squat-- 2 X bw
    Deadlift-- 2 1/2 X bw

These are single-rep.

Yep this or this.

Or you can aim for the 500 DL, 400 squat, 300 bench marks which is also a good goal.

It really depends if you want to go for highest total, as fraction of bodyweight, or whatever else.

Find your own goals or make your own goals and then train towards them!

Squats do a body good! musicianman's Avatar
    musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Strong disbelief at all the people who claim to have squats higher than their deadlifts.

If you can only deadlift 200-something pounds, there is NO WAY you are squatting over 300 pounds with a full range of motion.
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:
    www.YouTube.com/Frootlups

^^^^These (on both counts).
    thanks for clearing that up =)

tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Huh, those errx numbers are pretty helpful.

Especially for women. I was going to take my girl and show her deadlifts. So starting at 100 pounds would not be a smart idea.

Originally Posted by musicality213 View Post
    Strong disbelief at all the people who claim to have squats higher than their deadlifts.

If you can only deadlift 200-something pounds, there is NO WAY you are squatting over 300 pounds with a full range of motion.
    I do agree with you, but as i said, it was at the END of my workout(2 hours). by the time i got to deadlifts it was well over an hour later and had done squats, another leg machine*honestly dont know it name its like a reverse angled squat?) calf raises, plus plyomeric jumping about 3 1/2 feet. plus my upper body workout. ontop of that.

that and honestly i dont ever do deadlifts only yime iv done them fresh was for max lifts in football, and they were usually higher than my squats. other than that i ont do them unfortonatly cuz ever gym iv been to didnt have a space t do them

Originally Posted by musicality213 View Post

I can squat more than I can deadlift, but then again I don't incorporate deadlifts into my routine all year

Modern
    Fitness
    Forum

Go
    There
    Now

sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do agree with you, but as i said, it was at the END of my workout(2 hours). by the time i got to deadlifts it was well over an hour later and had done squats, another leg machine*honestly dont know it name its like a reverse angled squat?) calf raises, plus plyomeric jumping about 3 1/2 feet. plus my upper body workout. ontop of that.

that and honestly i dont ever do deadlifts only yime iv done them fresh was for max lifts in football, and they were usually higher than my squats. other than that i ont do them unfortonatly cuz ever gym iv been to didnt have a space t do them
    Why would u do all that stuff in one workout...........

U could prob do more splitting it up.... I would never do deads + squats in the same day, and if I do heavy bench I won't do heavy squat the same day, etc
    Intensity, Recovery, Nutrition, Sleep- the only things that matter.

Getting my Durantula on FryDude's Avatar
    FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Red face

Bench press

Squat

Deadlift

Here ya go...
    I bench like a woman bro rofl. Oh my.
    Toronto is Bake crew
    Raptors-Jays-Leafs-Bills. Best 2/10 sport teams crew.
    Herniated Dick crew
    Mike Tyson admirer crew
    Homeboy Leroy crew

Originally Posted by sportyaccordy View Post
    Why would u do all that stuff in one workout...........

U could prob do more splitting it up.... I would never do deads + squats in the same day, and if I do heavy bench I won't do heavy squat the same day, etc
    weight lifting class at college and they made sure i lifted for 2 hours >.> i threw them of with 1 armed pushups handstand pushups leg lifts and a few other things though XD hahaha

ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If I am between an intermediate and an advanced bencher, between a novice and an intermediate squatter, and an intermediate deadlifter, is that good progress after 9 months of lifting? Also, I am simply doing a BB split right now while eating at maintenance over the holidays ( maintenance but low carb, slight cut), I will be bulking when I go back to school, do you think I should do a strength training program like SS or do a hypertrophy program? I really wish I could squat about 315, and deadlift in the 400's.

Originally Posted by ironrat42 View Post
    If I am between an intermediate and an advanced bencher, between a novice and an intermediate squatter, and an intermediate deadlifter, is that good progress after 9 months of lifting? Also, I am simply doing a BB split right now while eating at maintenance over the holidays ( maintenance but low carb, slight cut), I will be bulking when I go back to school, do you think I should do a strength training program like SS or do a hypertrophy program? I really wish I could squat about 315, and deadlift in the 400's.
    yes, after 9 months that is good progress.

Modern
    Fitness
    Forum

Go
    There
    Now

AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by musicianman View Post

Ooops. This should at the time have read Deadlift = 305lbs not 205lbs.......
    "I'll do today what others won't so I can do tomorrow what others can't" - such a fitting quote for bodybuilding!