Peelyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can't feel the quad burn in my squats

I've been working out on and off for a couple years, but now I'm following AllPro's routine, and have done for maybe 2 or 3 cycles now.

I've seen some good gains on my squats - which I've only really started concentrating on (in terms of heavy training) with the recent switch to allpro's, however, while progress is slowing down generally, my squats have remained pretty strong.

However, I just can't seem to feel the burn in my quad nearly as much as my hamstrings and butt. The next day my hammies feel really nice and worked, but my quads just don't.

I am fairly sure I have good form. I've watched a lot of videos, including rippetoe's - and like to curl my toes to ensure I'm not putting my weight through the toes. I go to hammy parallel - and keep my knees unflayed (as much as I can - sometimes the last effort squat can cause some cheat issues)

But I just can't get the quads, I am worried that it's my form and that perhaps there's something I could do to remedy this, or if it's just a case that my hamstrings are weaker than my quads? I've played a lot of soccer through my entire life, but currently I only play once or twice a weak playing indoor.

Any advise would be great

videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I don't feel a burn in my quads either. Quads are huge muscles. Same applies for my chest. My chest is stronger than my triceps so I always feel the burn in my triceps when doing a bench press. Also the same reason I feel more of a burn in my forearm when doing curls.

Squats are more of an overall leg exercise. If you want to target your quads more do leg extensions with your leg workout. If you already are then just up the intensity.

Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Allpro's routine is titled "A good beginner's routine' or somesuch. Since you have done 3 cycles of it, I'm guessing 12 weeks per cycle, so 9 months of training? I know that the only leg exercise in that program are squats. Perhaps it is time to either change to a different split that has more volume for legs, or simply introduce a new exercise into the existing one such as a few additional sets of front squats.

And negging above guy for fraud photo.
    Use the tools of the trade to help you. I use devices such as chalk for grip strength, gloves, wrist straps, lifting belts - if it helps you lift more, it's all good. - Ronnie Coleman, Hardcore, 2007 Triumph Books

Biggest question in bodybuilding: Whaddaya bench? As I've said before, it doesn't matter how much you bench; it matters how much you [i]look[/i] like you bench... There's no round on stage that's the benchpress round. - Bob Chicherillo, World Class Physique, CMG

TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000)
    I rarely feel any "burn" in my legs when squatting, just fatigued.

My core burns like hell though, and psycho bloodshot eyes.

The leg press defo gets the blood pumping in them though.
    Tight lower back? Aching knees? Poor hip flexor mobility? Weak glutes?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130876763

-=[Misc Scotch Crew]=-
    ***Misc Cigar Crew***
    ☆☆☆MISC BOXING CREW☆☆☆

videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Bostongeorge617 View Post
    Allpro's routine is titled "A good beginner's routine' or somesuch. Since you have done 3 cycles of it, I'm guessing 12 weeks per cycle, so 9 months of training? I know that the only leg exercise in that program are squats. Perhaps it is time to either change to a different split that has more volume for legs, or simply introduce a new exercise into the existing one such as a few additional sets of front squats.

And negging above guy for fraud photo.
    It's obviously Dorian Yates. I didn't know it was supposed to be a picture of me.

liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what else do you do for legs?
    My 5/3/1 progress can be found here.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142870321&p

Uncut LOG...check it out here!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152706323

{{**ORIGINAL DSC**}}

I lift one rep at a time.

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Peelyo View Post
    I've been working out on and off for a couple years, but now I'm following AllPro's routine, and have done for maybe 2 or 3 cycles now.

I've seen some good gains on my squats - which I've only really started concentrating on (in terms of heavy training) with the recent switch to allpro's, however, while progress is slowing down generally, my squats have remained pretty strong.

However, I just can't seem to feel the burn in my quad nearly as much as my hamstrings and butt. The next day my hammies feel really nice and worked, but my quads just don't.

I am fairly sure I have good form. I've watched a lot of videos, including rippetoe's - and like to curl my toes to ensure I'm not putting my weight through the toes. I go to hammy parallel - and keep my knees unflayed (as much as I can - sometimes the last effort squat can cause some cheat issues)

But I just can't get the quads, I am worried that it's my form and that perhaps there's something I could do to remedy this, or if it's just a case that my hamstrings are weaker than my quads? I've played a lot of soccer through my entire life, but currently I only play once or twice a weak playing indoor.

Any advise would be great
    If you're worried about your form, post a vid. Could also be a muscle imbalance issue.
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Many people don't. Try other exercises, front squats, hack squat, leg press (gasp!), leg extension (double gasp!!) for more direct quad work.
    Who do men say that I am?

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I find that the more I practice form, the more emphasis on glutes and hamstrings I get when squatting. I have posterior chain relative weakness, so it makes sense. On any given compound movement, your weakest part of the chain is going to feel it most. If squats are working your glutes and hamstrings a lot, I'd take that as a sign that they need to catch up to your quads. Balance is crucial, so I'd say just let the glutes and hammies be the major focus for now instead of quads.

One thing you can try is bring the legs slightly closer together (I'm talking like 2 inches here), and focus on "spreading the floor apart with your legs" as you come up. This visualization helps activate the lateral head of the quads. Be careful though, you still want your knees to track over your toes.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    as mentioned, back squats are really more of an overall lower body exercise. front squats will help target quads a little more. hack sq machine is cool.

also, low bar position will emphasize glutes/hammies more, high bar position will emphasize quads more.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My guess is that you are doing low bar with a wide stance... if so, don't expect to get much quad burn. Try high bar and narrowing in your stance as close as you can while keeping balance. Also try front squats. Plus, quit worrying about how much weight you are squatting (you can do more with low bar/ wide stance) and just focus on form and depth.
    David

mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Maybe lower the weight and increase reps/speed that you do the exercise. After a set of widowmakers, I feel it quite well.