shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Questions on breast stroke (does it make the chest grow?)

Do breast stroke can help to have a bigger chest and pecs ?

I ask this question because the few times i went to swimming pool for 2-3 months (with 2 sessions of 1 hour of breast stroke per week), it seemed to me that my chest was bigger (but not really my pecs).....

So could someone (a swimmer) give his thought upon breast stroke for helping chest development (in addition to weight lifting for sure) ?

Thanks by advance !

ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by shou View Post
    Do breast stroke can help to have a bigger chest and pecs ?

I ask this question because the few times i went to swimming pool for 2-3 months (with 2 sessions of 1 hour of breast stroke per week), it seemed to me that my chest was bigger (but not really my pecs).....

So could someone (a swimmer) give his thought upon breast stroke for helping chest development (in addition to weight lifting for sure) ?

Thanks by advance !

Absolutely. Not only your chest, but your lats and shoulders too.
    Especially if you swim against more and mor current or use something that would cause drag so the resistance is progressive.

M

kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hell yea!!!!

Its like doing a 1000 chest fly's....awsome pump!!! i love swimming for that reason.. you look huge when you get out...helps if your big to begin with....ie Micheal Phelps....but great workout, i flip between breast and front crawl (good for shoulders and lats)

shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shou has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by kurty8 View Post
    Its like doing a 1000 chest fly's....awsome pump!!! i love swimming for that reason.. you look huge when you get out...helps if your big to begin with....ie Micheal Phelps....but great workout, i flip between breast and front crawl (good for shoulders and lats)
    So you confirm breast stroke is really interesting for chest growth ?

Also, are lats targetted when you do breast stroke (if i understood, breast stroke basically works out pecs, biceps, tri, traps and just a little bit the anterior delt) ?

kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So you confirm breast stroke is really interesting for chest growth ?

Also, are lats targetted when you do breast stroke (if i understood, breast stroke basically works out pecs, biceps, tri, traps and just a little bit the anterior delt) ?
    yea, i can def. see a difference with my chest and lats, not sure about my arms, but i would asume thats the case since they assist those muscles. i do a lot of strengh/power in the gym, so switching it up helps me with some size, its very simular to doing like 1000 chest fly's with 3lbs....you'll chest would be pumping after that...same therory applies. Plus swimming will also help get you "cut" because of that. And it can burn a lot of calories with very little stress to your joints

Originally Posted by kurty8 View Post
    yea, i can def. see a difference with my chest and lats, not sure about my arms, but i would asume thats the case since they assist those muscles. i do a lot of strengh/power in the gym, so switching it up helps me with some size, its very simular to doing like 1000 chest fly's with 3lbs....you'll chest would be pumping after that...same therory applies. Plus swimming will also help get you "cut" because of that. And it can burn a lot of calories with very little stress to your joints

Sorry to ressurect my old topic but could someone confirm that breaststroke can help widening the lats ?

up !

LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why don't you just give it a try instead talking about it, you'll physically feel your lats getting bigger & tired during swimming and you will get out the pool looking huge.

roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, but in terms of muscular development, doing breaststroke is suboptimal. From what you've told us though, keep lifting weights (for muscle growth) and swimming (cardio is good for you). Use weights as your primary means for hypertrophy though, not swimming

Originally Posted by roygbp View Post
    Yes, but in terms of muscular development, doing breaststroke is suboptimal. From what you've told us though, keep lifting weights (for muscle growth) and swimming (cardio is good for you). Use weights as your primary means for hypertrophy though, not swimming
    I've asked this question because i've a sensitive infraspinatus that forbids me to do pull up, rowing or bent-over lateral so its very hard for me to develop lats with weights.

Although, breaststroke is fine and i don't feel any disconfort swimming so i thought it could be a could alternative to build my back (even it would be slower and less efficient than weight training)....

roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50) roygbp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've asked this question because i've a sensitive infraspinatus that forbids me to do pull up, rowing or bent-over lateral so its very hard for me to develop lats with weights.

Although, breaststroke is fine and i don't feel any disconfort swimming so i thought it could be a could alternative to build my back (even it would be slower and less efficient than weight training)....
    Using swimming to grow your lats will be a very, very slow process with a very, very low ceiling before you plataeu. Just look at the pictures of the top swimmers vs bodybuilders. And those top swimmers probably do some resistance training too.

Originally Posted by roygbp View Post
    Using swimming to grow your lats will be a very, very slow process with a very, very low ceiling before you plataeu. Just look at the pictures of the top swimmers vs bodybuilders. And those top swimmers probably do some resistance training too.

I'm aware of this but it would be better than nothing for my lats !

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    BigHuse100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Breaststroke would be good for your lats, but front crawl or butterfly are better. You use your arms more and its easier to work harder. Give your shoulders a good workout too.