Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User shou's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: France
    Age: 33
    Stats: 5'8", 169 lbs
    Posts: 429
    Rep Power: 0
    shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit shou's BodySpace
    shou is offline

    Questions on breast stroke (does it make the chest grow?)

    Do breast stroke can help to have a bigger chest and pecs ?

    I ask this question because the few times i went to swimming pool for 2-3 months (with 2 sessions of 1 hour of breast stroke per week), it seemed to me that my chest was bigger (but not really my pecs).....

    So could someone (a swimmer) give his thought upon breast stroke for helping chest development (in addition to weight lifting for sure) ?

    Thanks by advance !
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User ProTec's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Netherlands Antilles
    Age: 43
    Stats: 5'11", 201 lbs
    Posts: 518
    Rep Power: 97
    ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ProTec has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit ProTec's BodySpace
    ProTec is offline
    Originally Posted by shou View Post
    Do breast stroke can help to have a bigger chest and pecs ?

    I ask this question because the few times i went to swimming pool for 2-3 months (with 2 sessions of 1 hour of breast stroke per week), it seemed to me that my chest was bigger (but not really my pecs).....

    So could someone (a swimmer) give his thought upon breast stroke for helping chest development (in addition to weight lifting for sure) ?

    Thanks by advance !

    Absolutely. Not only your chest, but your lats and shoulders too.
    Especially if you swim against more and mor current or use something that would cause drag so the resistance is progressive.

    M
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User kurty8's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Location: Massachusetts, United States
    Age: 31
    Stats: 6'0", 265 lbs
    Posts: 282
    Rep Power: 51
    kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit kurty8's BodySpace
    kurty8 is offline

    Hell yea!!!!

    Its like doing a 1000 chest fly's....awsome pump!!! i love swimming for that reason.. you look huge when you get out...helps if your big to begin with....ie Micheal Phelps....but great workout, i flip between breast and front crawl (good for shoulders and lats)
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User shou's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: France
    Age: 33
    Stats: 5'8", 169 lbs
    Posts: 429
    Rep Power: 0
    shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit shou's BodySpace
    shou is offline
    Originally Posted by kurty8 View Post
    Its like doing a 1000 chest fly's....awsome pump!!! i love swimming for that reason.. you look huge when you get out...helps if your big to begin with....ie Micheal Phelps....but great workout, i flip between breast and front crawl (good for shoulders and lats)
    So you confirm breast stroke is really interesting for chest growth ?

    Also, are lats targetted when you do breast stroke (if i understood, breast stroke basically works out pecs, biceps, tri, traps and just a little bit the anterior delt) ?
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User kurty8's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Location: Massachusetts, United States
    Age: 31
    Stats: 6'0", 265 lbs
    Posts: 282
    Rep Power: 51
    kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kurty8 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit kurty8's BodySpace
    kurty8 is offline
    Originally Posted by shou View Post
    So you confirm breast stroke is really interesting for chest growth ?

    Also, are lats targetted when you do breast stroke (if i understood, breast stroke basically works out pecs, biceps, tri, traps and just a little bit the anterior delt) ?
    yea, i can def. see a difference with my chest and lats, not sure about my arms, but i would asume thats the case since they assist those muscles. i do a lot of strengh/power in the gym, so switching it up helps me with some size, its very simular to doing like 1000 chest fly's with 3lbs....you'll chest would be pumping after that...same therory applies. Plus swimming will also help get you "cut" because of that. And it can burn a lot of calories with very little stress to your joints
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User shou's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: France
    Age: 33
    Stats: 5'8", 169 lbs
    Posts: 429
    Rep Power: 0
    shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit shou's BodySpace
    shou is offline
    Originally Posted by kurty8 View Post
    yea, i can def. see a difference with my chest and lats, not sure about my arms, but i would asume thats the case since they assist those muscles. i do a lot of strengh/power in the gym, so switching it up helps me with some size, its very simular to doing like 1000 chest fly's with 3lbs....you'll chest would be pumping after that...same therory applies. Plus swimming will also help get you "cut" because of that. And it can burn a lot of calories with very little stress to your joints

    Sorry to ressurect my old topic but could someone confirm that breaststroke can help widening the lats ?
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User shou's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: France
    Age: 33
    Stats: 5'8", 169 lbs
    Posts: 429
    Rep Power: 0
    shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit shou's BodySpace
    shou is offline
    up !
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Novice LiamGTR91's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2010
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 23
    Stats: 5'8", 178 lbs
    Posts: 1,211
    Rep Power: 56
    LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) LiamGTR91 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit LiamGTR91's BodySpace
    LiamGTR91 is offline
    Why don't you just give it a try instead talking about it, you'll physically feel your lats getting bigger & tired during swimming and you will get out the pool looking huge.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User roygbp's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Location: United States
    Age: 23
    Stats: 5'7", 162 lbs
    Posts: 1,066
    Rep Power: 110
    roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit roygbp's BodySpace
    roygbp is offline
    Yes, but in terms of muscular development, doing breaststroke is suboptimal. From what you've told us though, keep lifting weights (for muscle growth) and swimming (cardio is good for you). Use weights as your primary means for hypertrophy though, not swimming
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User shou's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: France
    Age: 33
    Stats: 5'8", 169 lbs
    Posts: 429
    Rep Power: 0
    shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit shou's BodySpace
    shou is offline
    Originally Posted by roygbp View Post
    Yes, but in terms of muscular development, doing breaststroke is suboptimal. From what you've told us though, keep lifting weights (for muscle growth) and swimming (cardio is good for you). Use weights as your primary means for hypertrophy though, not swimming
    I've asked this question because i've a sensitive infraspinatus that forbids me to do pull up, rowing or bent-over lateral so its very hard for me to develop lats with weights.

    Although, breaststroke is fine and i don't feel any disconfort swimming so i thought it could be a could alternative to build my back (even it would be slower and less efficient than weight training)....
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User roygbp's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Location: United States
    Age: 23
    Stats: 5'7", 162 lbs
    Posts: 1,066
    Rep Power: 110
    roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) roygbp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit roygbp's BodySpace
    roygbp is offline
    Originally Posted by shou View Post
    I've asked this question because i've a sensitive infraspinatus that forbids me to do pull up, rowing or bent-over lateral so its very hard for me to develop lats with weights.

    Although, breaststroke is fine and i don't feel any disconfort swimming so i thought it could be a could alternative to build my back (even it would be slower and less efficient than weight training)....
    Using swimming to grow your lats will be a very, very slow process with a very, very low ceiling before you plataeu. Just look at the pictures of the top swimmers vs bodybuilders. And those top swimmers probably do some resistance training too.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User shou's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: France
    Age: 33
    Stats: 5'8", 169 lbs
    Posts: 429
    Rep Power: 0
    shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000) shou is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit shou's BodySpace
    shou is offline
    Originally Posted by roygbp View Post
    Using swimming to grow your lats will be a very, very slow process with a very, very low ceiling before you plataeu. Just look at the pictures of the top swimmers vs bodybuilders. And those top swimmers probably do some resistance training too.

    I'm aware of this but it would be better than nothing for my lats !
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User BigHuse100's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Stats: 6'3", 233 lbs
    Posts: 11
    Rep Power: 0
    BigHuse100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit BigHuse100's BodySpace
    BigHuse100 is offline
    Breaststroke would be good for your lats, but front crawl or butterfly are better. You use your arms more and its easier to work harder. Give your shoulders a good workout too.
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads

  1. does swimming work the chest
    By jguitar69 in forum Teen Bodybuilding
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 05:41 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 10:47 AM
  3. the myth of squating to make the arms grow
    By waynelucky in forum Workout Programs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 05:08 PM
  4. Gotta make the neck grow....
    By unfknblvbl89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 07:16 AM
  5. what exerises u think makes the chest grow longer?
    By LiFtInIsFuN in forum Teen Bodybuilding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-03-2002, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout