Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The equipment that you originally posted seems good. I think you can find cheaper on CL but I see value in the set up you originally posted.

In your gym you may be able to make something similar, so what do you have?

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FatGymRat View Post
    I stole a gently used Cybex 5261 dual-axis advance lat pulldown off eBay for $200 last year...
    but I had to drive 3 hours each way to go get it.

(looks like this)

It is a plate loaded leverage machine, and the "dual axis" part means that the handles can come down as the same width grip, or you can vary the grip in the exercise (like hands together at the top, shoulder width at the bottom).

Although I miss the opportunity to clip on a V tricep pushdown bar, D handle, or EZ curl cable attachment like I could with a cable machine, I do love this thing on back days and I get a great pump and a great stretch from it.

Now that I have one, I could not see doing without a pulldown machine of some sort.

Oh wow. I like the looks of this.
    Very nice.

Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    IMO if you can do pullups you don't need a lat machine. Mine just gets used for tricep pushdowns, and I don't really need those in my routine.
    Yeah, I hear ya man and Im a HUGE advocate of pullups being THE back exercise. I guess the good thing about a lat pulldown (with a low row) is all of the various exercises offered in a small footprint. I consider them all to be supplementary exercises, but its nice to use it to mix things up every now and then.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    The equipment that you originally posted seems good. I think you can find cheaper on CL but I see value in the set up you originally posted.

In your gym you may be able to make something similar, so what do you have?
    I get by with free weights doing whatever a lat machine would offer, such as pullups, db / bb rows, tricep extensions, skullcrushers. It's more or less me wondering if it's worth getting one just to switch up my routine a bit.

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by chrislols View Post
    I get by with free weights doing whatever a lat machine would offer, such as pullups, db / bb rows, tricep extensions, skullcrushers. It's more or less me wondering if it's worth getting one just to switch up my routine a bit.
    It was for me, but keep in mind I got mine (Northern Lights) plus over 100 lbs in weights for $40.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I thought that as well... right up until I found the Cybex at a deal that was too good to pass up.

I hear what you guys are saying about pullups, and I agree that bodyweight (and weight added) pullups are a great exercise for back development and overall strength.
    That said, there is no match for having the ability to easily adjust the weight to maintain perfect form to isolate and pump those lats, and perform easy drop sets to obliterate the fibers.

You pullup-only guys are either dinking around with surgical tubing bands, or resorting to kips and losing your form. I just move to the machine.
    Again, pullups (even kips) have a place, but they should be a portion of a well rounded routine for back development.

Also, this is my opinion based on what has worked best for me, and I am not demeaning the results anyone has achieved by pullups alone....
    "I am only one man, but I am a strong man."
    -FGR 2010.

You don't want the following day's local newspaper headline to be "Dumbass dies on an AirDyne".
    -weisgarb 2013

"Word of warning to whom it may concern: Picking up a 226lb atlas stone and putting it in your car's trunk is easy compared to getting it out of said trunk."
    -Xephonics, 2010

Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well I couldnt do a single pullup a year an a half ago..so lp was a good fit at the time..now I can endure 3 - 4 sets of dead hangs weighted at the start of my back workout..then ill go high rows or whatever on the LP, or straight arm pushdowns if im particularly winded at the end.What im trying to say is maybe hes a severely obese guy or truly a lightweight kid.

Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Keeptryin View Post
    Well I couldnt do a single pullup a year an a half ago..so lp was a good fit at the time..now I can endure 3 - 4 sets of dead hangs weighted at the start of my back workout..then ill go high rows or whatever on the LP, or straight arm pushdowns if im particularly winded at the end.What im trying to say is maybe hes a severely obese guy or truly a lightweight kid.
    also just high low pulley alone can take you through a high myriad of exercises..bentover raises,pullthroughs...ive added a extension and mounted a removeable pulley on the floor to do cable boxsquats.And my Hi/lo is in a pretty heavy powerrack so i didnt really need to secure it to the floor.

chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000) chrislols is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

I thought that as well... right up until I found the Cybex at a deal that was too good to pass up.

I hear what you guys are saying about pullups, and I agree that bodyweight (and weight added) pullups are a great exercise for back development and overall strength.
    That said, there is no match for having the ability to easily adjust the weight to maintain perfect form to isolate and pump those lats, and perform easy drop sets to obliterate the fibers.

You pullup-only guys are either dinking around with surgical tubing bands, or resorting to kips and losing your form. I just move to the machine.
    Again, pullups (even kips) have a place, but they should be a portion of a well rounded routine for back development.

Also, this is my opinion based on what has worked best for me, and I am not demeaning the results anyone has achieved by pullups alone....
    This is quality post, defiantly great information, that's how I'm feeling, pullups are great but I'm thinking it can't hurt to add a lat machine into my routine / gym to change it up every once in a while, and to isolate certain muscles. I'm going to be lifting in a bit and see during the workout where I'd change it up and use a lat machine.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Chris.

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Dip belt.

You pullup-only guys are either dinking around with surgical tubing bands, or resorting to kips and losing your form.
    No, they're just probably better at pullups than you (you know, from doing all those pullups). If you lose form and start kipping then stop doing them, or decrease the weight strapped to you.
    It's just as simple to lose form on a lat-pulldown and get all sort of body-jerk and bend to pull the weight down. In fact I'd say it's easier.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This is quality post, defiantly great information, that's how I'm feeling, pullups are great but I'm thinking it can't hurt to add a lat machine into my routine / gym to change it up every once in a while, and to isolate certain muscles. I'm going to be lifting in a bit and see during the workout where I'd change it up and use a lat machine.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Chris.
    Thank you.

Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    Dip belt.

No, they're just probably better at pullups than you (you know, from doing all those pullups). If you lose form and start kipping then stop doing them, or decrease the weight strapped to you.
    It's just as simple to lose form on a lat-pulldown and get all sort of body-jerk and bend to pull the weight down. In fact I'd say it's easier.
    As I said in the earlier post, I feel that pullups and weight-added pullups are an important part of a back routine, but then I like to move to the lat pulldown to put in further work.

The OP was looking for opinions, this is mine.
    -FGR 2010.

You don't want the following day's local newspaper headline to be "Dumbass dies on an AirDyne".
    -weisgarb 2013

"Word of warning to whom it may concern: Picking up a 226lb atlas stone and putting it in your car's trunk is easy compared to getting it out of said trunk."
    -Xephonics, 2010

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thank you.

As I said in the earlier post, I feel that pullups and weight-added pullups are an important part of a back routine, but then I like to move to the lat pulldown to put in further work.

The OP was looking for opinions, this is mine.

Hey FGR......Essex is a pretty good cat around here, I sincerely doubt he meant any malevolence.

For the record, I thought your post was good and your point was valid.

I have a lat pd, but haven't been using it or the pullup bar much because I've been concentrating on the powerlifting moves. Good equipment bought for value and used correctly is what I'm an advocate of. If you have the room, inclination, funds, and a reasonable expectation you will use it......why not.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    ...If you have the room, inclination, funds, and a reasonable expectation you will use it......why not.
    this is pretty much the case with anything, really, isn't it?

besides weight and a place to do squats, pullups, rows, presses, and deadlifts- they are all "luxury" items, right?
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

Hey FGR......Essex is a pretty good cat around here, I sincerely doubt he meant any malevolence.
    That's fine... I will take your word for it since you have more experience with his posting style.

Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    they're just probably better at pullups than you (you know, from doing all those pullups).
    This comment struck me as a touch on the smarmy side, but I took no real offense by it.
    I guessed he was just trying to give me some grief with the comment, not outright baiting.

My impression from my brief time here (and not a comment on anyone from this discussion), is that there are a LOT of troll bait post types on this forum...

For the record, I thought your post was good and your point was valid.
    Thanks.

Best of luck with the powerlifting regimen.
    -FGR 2010.

-weisgarb 2013

-Xephonics, 2010

BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=FatGymRat;424598671]I stole a gently used Cybex 5261 dual-axis advance lat pulldown off eBay for $200 last year...
    but I had to drive 3 hours each way to go get it.

(looks like this)

THAT IS TOOOOO SWEEETTTTTTTTT !

Video of a home gym guy on the Cybex.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfm4ee8ROMI

Here is a silver haired sales gent showing a used version of the stack/pin model of this machine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpAI8zaFbfM
    -FGR 2010.

-weisgarb 2013

-Xephonics, 2010

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by animalfan View Post
    this is pretty much the case with anything, really, isn't it?

besides weight and a place to do squats, pullups, rows, presses, and deadlifts- they are all "luxury" items, right?

Yes, but for some reason a lot of people seem to think their route is the only way and any other is stupid or a waste of money. Smith vrs rack; pulldown vrs pull ups; machines vrs freeweights; gloves vrs none........its all silly. If you want to have a discussion about something fine, but to assail someone as though their smith machine is evil........I don't get it and won't ever. I don't like smiths, all in ones, and I'm leaning solidly toward no gloves..........but it doesn't cost me any money or reduce my strength if everybody else on this forum uses them. Further, until one of you goofballs starts paying for my equipment purchases........I don't give a rats arse if you like my stuff or not.

All stated with love of course.

That's fine... I will take your word for it since you have more experience with his posting style.

This comment struck me as a touch on the smarmy side, but I took no real offense by it.
    I guessed he was just trying to give me some grief with the comment, not outright baiting.

My impression from my brief time here (and not a comment on anyone from this discussion), is that there are a LOT of troll bait post types on this forum...

Thanks.

Best of luck with the powerlifting regimen.

Yea, Essex is a contributor and I honestly haven't seen him chide too many people tbh, I'm sure he didn't mean it "smarmy" but rather as a way to illustrate the point on the pullups. I won't comment anymore on it, because I'm speaking for him and that's silly too .

As far as the troll bait comments..........there are a lot of trolls here.......go figure.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm leaning solidly toward no gloves.
    You use gloves? What kind of man ARE you?
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    You use gloves? What kind of man ARE you?

lol.

I'm a pussy, you figured it out.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenJelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not worth it

Originally Posted by BenJelly View Post
    not worth it
    Yeah? Keep spamming everywhere