viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Plantar Fasciitis?

I have many of the symptoms of plantar fasciitis. Pain right after I wake up and after I run. I've had recurrent plantar fasciitis for the last 3 years now and usually it's been caused by heavy calf raises on a leg press machine but it seems to come around/just after winter, when I'm playing a lot of basketball. The difference this time is that my pain isn't under my foot: under my heel I'm completely pain free. My pain is just below the achilles tendon but still on the heel. It gets relieved by stretching. So is this still plantar fasciitis? And does being a heavy-thud flat-footed runner contribute to it? I've also been doing depth jumps and HIIT. My entire foot slams on the floor whenever I run (although I don't suffer PF year-round so not sure if running style contributes). I'm going to swallow the bullet and get some non Payless shoes too to see if that helps.

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    This article was written for people just like you.

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

If you have the time, read the whole thing it will help you out so much. And do the evaluations and soft tissue work in part 3 and 4. Easily correctable with the right information.

Everything you said in the first post explain a lot of it. Flat feet can contribute to plantar fasciitis, very tight calves, poor running form (heel-toe is wrong), etc. All of these issues are addressed in the above link.

Either that or you can go to a physical therapist.

viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks. I've gotten some useful things from it although it is mostly too technical for someone like me who is not familiar with anatomical vocabulary. I've noticed that the medial side of my foot does support a lot of my weight. A lot of times it'll take about 3 weeks for me to wear out a gel insert and it's always on the area of my feet under my big toes.

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by viperjax View Post
    Thanks. I've gotten some useful things from it although it is mostly too technical for someone like me who is not familiar with anatomical vocabulary. I've noticed that the medial side of my foot does support a lot of my weight. A lot of times it'll take about 3 weeks for me to wear out a gel insert and it's always on the area of my feet under my big toes.
    Basically, do everything in section 4. May take a while, but that is the stuff that's gonna help you the most.

If you want to prioritize, do the feet/ankles/lower leg work.

mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had the same issues you were having. I'd wake up and the first few steps were painful, and after getting up from my desk at work it would be stiff. Sometimes the day right after a calf workout i could barely walk. What fixed this for me, and even made my calves bigger is pin-pointing the exercise that causing the pain. Eliminate the exercise for a month, then when you return do not load it like you had it before. This, and the combination of higher reps, has not only healed my foot but also made the calves visibly more defined and larger. Also try not to let the heal fall too low passed the toes when working the calf, this points unnecessary strain on the achilles and foot arch.

blakely17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by viperjax View Post
    I have many of the symptoms of plantar fasciitis. Pain right after I wake up and after I run. I've had recurrent plantar fasciitis for the last 3 years now and usually it's been caused by heavy calf raises on a leg press machine but it seems to come around/just after winter, when I'm playing a lot of basketball. The difference this time is that my pain isn't under my foot: under my heel I'm completely pain free. My pain is just below the achilles tendon but still on the heel. It gets relieved by stretching. So is this still plantar fasciitis? And does being a heavy-thud flat-footed runner contribute to it? I've also been doing depth jumps and HIIT. My entire foot slams on the floor whenever I run (although I don't suffer PF year-round so not sure if running style contributes). I'm going to swallow the bullet and get some non Payless shoes too to see if that helps.
    If the pain is just below the achillies tendon, its because it is the achillies tendon insertion. I'd say you have tight and weak (I know they are weak because of the foot slap when you run) plantar flexors (the gastrocnemius and the soleus, basically your calves). I would suggest stretching them out, and strengthening them (up 2, down 6 count). If that doesn't make it better, go see a Physical Therapist (especially if your state has direct access, which it does if your not in IN or AR). They will take care of all your lower limb ailments.
    Work til failure!

COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ice and stretch your achillies for sure, and I'd definitely look into getting some arch support inserts too if you don't already have them. That will help with the Plantar Fasciitis, not to mention help prevent shin splints. 3/4 ones should be no more than $20.

Originally Posted by blakely17 View Post
    If the pain is just below the achillies tendon, its because it is the achillies tendon insertion. I'd say you have tight and weak (I know they are weak because of the foot slap when you run) plantar flexors (the gastrocnemius and the soleus, basically your calves). I would suggest stretching them out, and strengthening them (up 2, down 6 count). If that doesn't make it better, go see a Physical Therapist (especially if your state has direct access, which it does if your not in IN or AR). They will take care of all your lower limb ailments.
    Thanks I will try that. As I mentioned, the original causes of my PF in years past was doing heavy calf raises on a leg press machine (that's pretty much the only calf exercise equipment my gym has). I'm going to see if I can think of new calf exercises like mkit8971 suggested.

Thanks everyone.

I will continue stretching, ice, and get new shoes. I will also strengthen my calf. I've had immense relief the past couple of days by stretching obsessively throughout the day but I'd like to prevent rather than cure.

Originally Posted by blakely17 View Post
    I might see a PT if I don't see improvement by next year. What kind of weight/reps do you recommend? I used to do about 250lbs on a leg press machine for 3 sets of 15 and that gave me nasty plantar fasciitis during the last two winters so I actually have not done any calf work whatsoever in several months now. As you know, calves are very hard to work. They can take big weights and lots of reps without growing any. I honestly don't care too much about growing my calves into drumsticks at the moment - just getting them strong enough to prevent the PF at this point is good enough for me.

~Highly mobile ankles (aka stretch out calves) IS a cure for plantar fasciitis....

~along with strengthening the bottom of the foot with exercises, and increasing proprioceptive ability especially if you have flat feet.

~Stretching hamstrings, and strengthening glutes may also help AS WELL as postural work for weight distribution.

~frozen coke bottle rolling of the plantar fascia helps immensely. Ice massage (analgesic) + stretch out the fascia and get some awareness of the foot muscles.

This is basically all of what you'd be doing in physical therapy.

P.S. Stay away from any exercises that aggravate it. Work on the stuff I said.