623362 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

critique my workout plan?

Hi there! I am new to the forum. I hope that this post is ok in this forum, if not please let me know the most appropriate place to post it.

I was hoping for a critique of my weekly workout regimen. i am 35, 5"2 and around 165lbs, 36C-31-42. My goals are to gain muscle, lose fat and size. My goal measurements are 36b-25-38. I don't really weigh myself or go by weight as i have always weighed heavy - the least i've ever weighed was 117 and i looked a little sick - not trying to go there again!

i have recently really cleaned up my diet, which has always been a sore spot for me. i am now mealprepping for 4 days at time. breakfast is usually a boiled egg, fruit and a granola bar (i'm not good at eating in the morning so have to force myself), and then lunch and dinner i have prepped meals, which are protein-carb-veggie or just protein-veggie (today i had chicken breast, mashed sweet potato and steamed kale, and then later grilled turkey sausage and kale), with snacks like cottage cheese, greek yoghourt, nuts, dates. I have a problem with staying away from a beer at the end of the day, and i am a smoker. I quit for 3 months but resumed last month - working on quitting again!! i cant jog anymore as a result

Ok so this is my weekly workout plan:

Mondays: Back And Shoulders

SUPER SET
    single arm bent over rows 35lbs 3x8
    military press 20lbs 3x10

SUPER SET
    delt - dumbbell side lateral raises 10lbs 3x10
    delt - rear lateral raise 20lb 3x10

SUPER SET
    lat pulldown 70lbs 3x10
    bulgarian split squats

SUPER SET
    cable row 55lbs 3x10
    squats

weighted hyperextensions on incline bench 25lb 3x10

Tuesdays: HIIT
    i'll do 30 minutes of 4-5 exercises, usually stuff like burpees, stepups, benchjumps, squats, tricep dips, pushups, glute hyperextensions, ab stuff like hanging leg raises, incline bench ab stuff with a medicine ball, planks etc.

Wednesdays: Rest

thursdays: glutes and legs

deadlift 80lbs 3x6-8

barbell squat 80lbs 3x6-8

calf raises 3x10

SUPER SET
    single leg glute hyperextensions 45lb over inguinal area 3x10 per leg
    bulgarian split squats 25lbx25lb 3x8

walking lunges with kickback 45lbx 3x20

Fridays: another HIIT session

Saturdays another HIIT session

Sundays: 1hr yoga

Sometimes I will also go for an hour walk on weight days. I am purposely not doing any chest exercises as when i do chest exercises it pulls my head more forward and my arms more internally rotated and causes me pain.

So what do you think of this plan? I made it up myself and have only just started sticking to it over the past couple weeks. I want to develop a consistent plan to stick to for the next 6 weeks, is this ok? What do you think? Your feedback is appreciated!

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How many calories are you eating?
    What are your current macros?

Newbies should not be on a body part split. Newbies should not be doing a bunch of isolation exercises.

I would recommend a full body compound routine such as Starting Strength. Lift 3 x per week, brief intense cardio afterwards, and maybe some cardio on non-lifting days, but still allowing at least 1-2 days for rest.

You absolutely do not have to eat breakfast. Eat a solid lunch and a solid dinner, hit your calories and macros for the day and call it good.

You need to find a routine to stick with for much longer than 6 weeks.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    How many calories are you eating?
    What are your current macros?

Newbies should not be on a body part split. Newbies should not be doing a bunch of isolation exercises.

I would recommend a full body compound routine such as Starting Strength. Lift 3 x per week, brief intense cardio afterwards, and maybe some cardio on non-lifting days, but still allowing at least 1-2 days for rest.

You absolutely do not have to eat breakfast. Eat a solid lunch and a solid dinner, hit your calories and macros for the day and call it good.

You need to find a routine to stick with for much longer than 6 weeks.
    hi there! thanks for your response! i am not sure i understand your reference to isolation exercises, i tried to pick compound exercises (except calf raises and the delt stuff, because mine are really weak)... which ones are the iso exercises? also i am wondering if you could tell me more as to your suggestion that i not do a body part split?

i will google starting strength, thank you for the suggestion.

how long should i be sticking with a routine for? 3 months? i figured my body would adapt after 6 weeks and i would have to change it up?

i'm not sure about how many calories exactly, i just try to eat smart... baby steps... changing my diet up to what it is now is a very big change for me, so just trying to get used to that before i start counting calories and getting too intense about it and then losing steam.

thank you for your feedback!
    Last edited by 623362; 05-29-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Hi again! i just googled that starting strength routine. I'm avoiding chest stuff because i get tight in the chest quick and my pecs pull my humerii into internal rotation and my scapulae into protraction (really shortened pec minor) and i get a lot of upper back pain as a result... hence my focus on back strengthening exercises.... so i dont think that routine would work for me

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 623362 View Post
    Hi again! i just googled that starting strength routine. I'm avoiding chest stuff because i get tight in the chest quick and my pecs pull my humerii into internal rotation and my scapulae into protraction (really shortened pec minor) and i get a lot of upper back pain as a result... hence my focus on back strengthening exercises.... so i dont think that routine would work for me
    No routine is going to leave out a whole body part like chest. You need to figure out WHY you have this chest problem and fix it. If you neglect to work your front muscles, you will be imbalanced and prone to further injury.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    No routine is going to leave out a whole body part like chest. You need to figure out WHY you have this chest problem and fix it. If you neglect to work your front muscles, you will be imbalanced and prone to further injury.
    I know why.. i have a kyphotic posture, lengthened and weakened rhomboid major and middle traps, tight subscap/pec major and minor and shortened anterior neck muscles (scaleneii and scm). i go for myofascial release every couple months to help open up my chest and neck. i am focussing on back to correct this imbalance. working chest would be counterproductive to this.